I'd love to learn about the Columbus, OH Market!

I'd love to learn about the Columbus, OH Market!

Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 231 posts · 188 votes

Good evening my fellow BP members! I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about wanting to move to Texas, specifically San Antonio or Austin to start my RE journey. Unfortunately I feel like I am starting to get priced out as I will be starting on an FHA loan and I do not have a lot of capital saved at the moment (about $13k). I have been doing some research on other markets just in case and I have come across Columbus, OH as a possible market to get into, due to steady population/job growth and affordability. I plan on using a FHA loan to get into a duplex and I currently live in CA so I would be moving to start this amazing path to freedom. I'd love to hear some thoughts from you guys about this. Thanks!

2Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Pickerington, OH · Member since 2012 · 230 posts · 139 votes
4y

The Columbus area is great, but prepare yourself for high demand and low inventory.  The majority of listings are receiving multiple offers and going for list, or sometimes well over list.  It's highly competitive right now.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Thomas O'Donnell:

    Good evening my fellow BP members! I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about wanting to move to Texas, specifically San Antonio or Austin to start my RE journey. Unfortunately I feel like I am starting to get priced out as I will be starting on an FHA loan and I do not have a lot of capital saved at the moment (about $13k). I have been doing some research on other markets just in case and I have come across Columbus, OH as a possible market to get into, due to steady population/job growth and affordability. I plan on using a FHA loan to get into a duplex and I currently live in CA so I would be moving to start this amazing path to freedom. I'd love to hear some thoughts from you guys about this. Thanks!


     I moved to Columbus from Connecticut and did a househack. I highly recommend doing the same thing.

  • Lender · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 202 posts · 214 votes
    4y

    A lot of my clients have started like this in Columbus and have had great success. You should start working on it asap. I'd be happy to chat more about getting pre-approved. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pickerington, OH · Member since 2012 · 230 posts · 139 votes
    4y

    The Columbus area is great, but prepare yourself for high demand and low inventory.  The majority of listings are receiving multiple offers and going for list, or sometimes well over list.  It's highly competitive right now.

  • Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 203 posts · 247 votes
    4y

    Highly competitive but if you are ready, pre-approved and able to act quickly when the right property hits the market that is the key. Prepared and positioned to act quickly. It is common with the clients I have worked with to wait weeks or months until the right property comes along.

    It is competitive but it is competitive for a reason!

  • Austin McClainBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · OH · Member since 2021 · 348 posts · 602 votes
    4y

    Columbus is great for its investment potential and is a great city to live in. It's growing quickly, which will help with appreciation. It's also fun to live in if you move. There's a lot to do in the city, and it's near a lot of cool places to visit easily. 

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 81 posts · 87 votes
    4y

    @Thomas O'Donnell - I moved from Illinois to Columbus to do a househack. If you're not too familiar with the area, I'd definitely recommend getting with an experienced agent to help you get an idea of the different neighborhoods and where you'd like to live!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.