Have You Done Deals with other BP Members? Please share!

Have You Done Deals with other BP Members? Please share!

Karen MargraveBusiness Member
Moderator
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I've had others ask me if there are many deals done on BP between members, please, share your completed deals, contacts you've made that are going to result in a definite deal, etc., or information other than obtaining advice. Thanks! @Will Barnard @Brandon Turner @Joel Owens

@Bryan Hancock @Brian Burke @K. Marie Poe (her @mention never works!) others??? Feel free to @mention others

1Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
12y
Originally posted by Dawn Anastasi:
Although by the way this thread was going, you'd think that only the Moderators have done deals with other BP members.

Keep in mind that the main reason we're moderators here is because we're very active and involved on the site and we've built trust with the community.

So, perhaps it's more accurate to say that by staying active here and building trust with the community, you're more likely to build your network of partners/lenders/mentors/colleagues/etc. :-)

See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 218 votes
    12y

    I was about to type up a thread just like this one. Luckily BP shows similar ones so I didn't duplicate it.

    Yes I have done deals with SEVERAL members on BP. I am proud to say that! Not just meeting them in person, which is always great to just network and meet new people with similar interests, but it is awesome when you do deals together

    @Dave Wilkerson @Matt DuSold @Andrew Leth are just a few. @Larry Karp is yet another.

    I am grateful for the deals that have been accomplished and the monies made, but also for the friendships we have formed.

  • Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2013 · 108 posts · 71 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Ann Bellamy:
    I have provided loans to people I connected with on BP, and have met many new BPers through their attending our Black Diamond events. And some of those people, while not necessarily doing business directly with me, have made connections at Black Diamond and done deals together. So that's an indirect connection that originated at BP.

    @Mark

    @Mark Pedroza undefined

    It is particularly distressing when the heads or founders of the local REIA turn out to be the ones that attendees should be protected from, as opposed to being the the model of integrity. Unfortunately, it has happened to others.. While I don't mean to imply that heads of REIAs by definition lack integrity, there are always a couple of bad apples that give others a bad name. Most of the time, REIA heads are ready willing and able to help investors and can be trusted to give you the straight scoop.

    To protect yourself in the future, never assume. Just because someone appears to be in a position of authority, ask around about them before committing yourself. If you ask 30 attendees about the reputation of a person, by the time you get to the end of the list, you'll have a pretty good idea of what people think about that person. Google everyone. It's amazing what you will find, even occasionally of people on BP. Pay particular attention to court records. People aren't screened before they join, of course.

    And also be sure to question your own role in the problem in retrospect. Not saying you did anything wrong, but sometimes lack of experience can contribute to a problem without your realizing it, I try to take ownership of my own shortcomings.

    Agree, you should never assume anything. For example, you might assume that you could show up to a local networking event and talk to investors about all the various ways you could work together, even if one of those executions is in direct competition with the head of the REIA...but that might be an erroneous assumption, and you might be asked very directly not to talk to people at the meeting about that part of your business.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Ann Bellamy:

    It is particularly distressing when the heads or founders of the local REIA turn out to be the ones that attendees should be protected from, as opposed to being the the model of integrity. Unfortunately, it has happened to others.. While I don't mean to imply that heads of REIAs by definition lack integrity, there are always a couple of bad apples that give others a bad name. Most of the time, REIA heads are ready willing and able to help investors and can be trusted to give you the straight scoop.


    I attended a local investor meeting a month or two ago, and after the meeting I introduced myself to the head of the group and mentioned that if they were ever looking for someone local to present about rehabbing at a future meeting, I'd be happy to do so. I made it perfectly clear that I wasn't selling anything and wasn't looking for anything in return.

    His response was pretty much, "Thanks but no thanks." While he didn't come right out and say it, it was pretty clear that HE was the local rehabbing coach/guru, and if anyone was going to "pitch" to the group, it would be him. :-)

  • Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2013 · 437 posts · 180 votes
    12y

    I have not done any deals with any BP members yet, but I am about to. I have made several contacts from BP and just the information alone I have received has already saved me $$$! @J Scott and @Ned Carey are just two of the many who have offered their assistance. I have some deals in the works with some members and as soon as they close I will follow up with you all!

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    Yes I have done a few deals with members. In fact just this week with three different members.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    I have done several deals with members ranging from selling them houses, to property management to JV's.

    I have actually met 1 member on BP @Craig S. who introduced me to a friend of his. did a couple deals together as his Realtor and later he started doing some rehab work for me on some deals that I did with other BP members. He is now a regular getting things done at many of my properties.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.