Which is the hardest team member for you to find?

Which is the hardest team member for you to find?

Alicia MarksPro Member
Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Welcome to our question of the week! We know there is some considerate thought going into your investing journey in our current market. Hopefully you are still doing deals, I know I am! As you are building the team to help you succeed, which piece is the most difficult for you? If you have a great strategy for finding a team member, please share it here as well. You should be scaling by using your highest use of your time, so find others to fill the gap for you.

628 votes total

Lender
Agent
Contractor
Accounting/ attorney/ Insurance
Property Manager
Professional service- cleaners, staging, etc.
I don't know where to start to build my team
29Reply
585 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Minot, ND · Member since 2021 · 131 posts · 223 votes
3y

We've been able to find really good people across each of these categories... If you can't find a good property manager you're in a tough boat.  Good agents and lenders are fairly easy to come by.  GC's are tough too, but for us it would be the handy man.  We have a half dozen that we use on a very limited basis.  They each have their own "issues".  Part of the problem is the nature of the position.  It's not a "career path" that one would generally aspire too.  The talented consistent ones level up to GC license.  Just my thoughts!

See this reply in the discussion

130 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Minot, ND · Member since 2021 · 131 posts · 223 votes
    3y

    We've been able to find really good people across each of these categories... If you can't find a good property manager you're in a tough boat.  Good agents and lenders are fairly easy to come by.  GC's are tough too, but for us it would be the handy man.  We have a half dozen that we use on a very limited basis.  They each have their own "issues".  Part of the problem is the nature of the position.  It's not a "career path" that one would generally aspire too.  The talented consistent ones level up to GC license.  Just my thoughts!

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Finding (enough) good contractors has always been the biggest challenge for us. Other vendors like HVAC, electrician, etc. usually aren't tough but when finding new ones, they are sometimes booked out too far for it to make sense. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Contractor is obvious choice haha, followed by property managers. 

    Have never had issues with lenders because there are thousands out there. I am an agent myself so never needed that. 

    Property managers are hit and miss. I've had good and bad experiences. 

    Pro services-cleaners can be difficult, but I categorize those under contractor. 

    The higher up you go in the trades, the easier it is. I haven't had that many issues with builders, and professional trades such as electrical and plumbing (other than they are expensive). 

    The trades as you go down to the less skilled labor - cleaning, handyman work, demo crews, etc it starts to get harder. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2017 · 108 posts · 49 votes
    3y

    We have all of those listed.  Now we are searching for a General Manager, to (replace me!) 

  • Joshua SteinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 38 votes
    3y

    Like most have said, finding good contractors is difficult. It's a bit easier when you have a property manager who has a network of contractors already, but still can vary widely in quality level.

  • Nick HierscheBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 17 votes
    3y

    Contractors for sure!

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Since I am a contractor, I can always find myself. Property manager is hard for me. 

    I will say though that it is hard to find handyman people that will follow through. I had a friend that wanted to become a handy man and asked me my advice. I told him that if he would just show up and do what he said he would do, he could write his ticket. 5 years later and he is the go to guy in town. Now, if we could just get a few more like him, we would be ok. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    good property management or lenders for me! No solutions yet. I try a combination of referrals or references, checking recommendations on here and review ratings but I am still not finding the best.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    consistent, quality handymen and cleaners, and plumbers that are available quickly in emergencies have been the hardest to find. I think finding a property manager that I would find acceptable would be the hardest but I self manage so it's not an issue.

  • Flipper · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    might be location centric; in Florida it is difficult to find anyone with a grain of skill. handymen want 60/hr, won’t complete 1099 and usually don’t complete project- contractors looking for 100-200k rehabs only.

    sad.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

     Contractor. But I'm lumping tradesmen into that category. 

    And 'finding' them isn't half the issue - it's getting them to show up let alone commit to a project. So frustrating. 

    Thank goodness of the tradesmen I work with the most (handyman and plumber) they show up quickly - but my electrician - it's like I have to call the guy once a week over the course of a month to get him to show up (the reason I deal with it is he charges less than half of what others charge and he does good work).

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    All of these positions are relatively easy to fill in Chicago, BUT  a lot of investors fail to look at the people on their team as people instead of commodities. During this time of labor shortage, I have been blessed to have worked with some of the best maintenance guys/handy guys out there. In fact, I am getting more and more of these guys coming my way because I am ok with paying them more than they made in 2015. This is the key. Make sure you are adding value to your team. 

  • I​nvestor & Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I am focusing largely on sub-contractor types, self managing them to solve the GC dilemma in my life…and even then, there are many bumps in the road, headaches, and fires to put out.  I tried to set up a small, grassroots project management business for this this year, with mixed results.  So to echo everyone else, it seems like the contractor / GC / handyman issue is just going to be the biggest issue of them all.  I’m just always challenging myself to learn how to improve that gap that exists between the investor and the contractor.  It almost needs a translator, but not from two different languages, more like two different mindsets.  

  • Contractor · Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 186 posts · 91 votes
    3y

    It is no surprise that contractors is currently the winning category. 

    I am happy to assist any members here in North Jersey with construction needs. 

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    For residential REI I'd say echo the property management answer.

    For commercial it's business development and underwriting, especially now since the new financing can tighten margins.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 81 posts · 87 votes
    3y

    Property manager for sure! They can make or break a deal depending on how they handle vacancy and maintenance issues.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami · Member since 2022 · 247 posts · 75 votes
    3y

    Smart Investors that can see the numbers and change the Mindset chip that is telling them.

    Looks very good but still, something can go wrong... let me wait and see what happens.

    Hi who knows Do now, they don't wait for life to happen.

    Luis Maquiera

  • Rental Property Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    I’m looking for a good real estate accountant located in Nassau county NY, does anyone have any suggestions? 

    Thanks 

  • Ben McMahonPro Member
    Investor · San Diego CA · Member since 2014 · 341 posts · 139 votes
    3y

    Not surprised most people say contractor.  Sure makes being a good GC valuable.  

    Ive spent a lot of time thinking about why, rather than wish it wasn't so.  
    What do Agents, lenders, Property managers, wholesalers etc all have in common ? They don't have to be there.  You cannot be a virtual contractor.  Probably some day in the future we will figure out how to replace contractors with technology, but not any time soon.  

    Also, look at what a contractor is doing in a home, say a painter or finish carpenter.   There's a bit of art that goes into the trades.  And one person might not like the type of art the contractor makes. (side note, I think there are elements of standard, but even those are not always agreed upon by contractor and client)  Not so, if you are say a lender.  The rates are the rates, math is math, 30 years is 30 years etc.  Less subjective issues, less problems. 

    Workforce pool - tends to be people that couldn't get a job doing anything else, so they end up in the trades rather than choose to be there. (not all) 

    I think there are other things that make being a contractor tough, so its not surprising that more people are going to have a hard time with contractors over other professions.  So I am going to say finding good contractors like everyone else, but I think it makes sense that its that way.  

    I am a GC, but also been and agent, and a PM.  

  • Clifton, NJ · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sebastian Hernandez:

    It is no surprise that contractors is currently the winning category. 

    I am happy to assist any members here in North Jersey with construction needs. 


    Hey Sebastian, saw you're local to my area (Northern NJ). My team and I host monthly real estate meetups in Northern NJ - no sale pitches or gimmicks. Just like-minded people in the local real estate market looking to grow and network. Our next event is 10/25/22 6-9PM at Woodstone in Rochelle Park. If you're interested in attending, I can send you the Eventbrite link. We have many contractors who attend. 

  • Lender · PA · Member since 2019 · 533 posts · 461 votes
    3y

    As a seasoned investor, former attorney and title and mortgage brokerage owner, I have found finding and maintaining a good relationship with a contractor is by far the greatest struggle when assembling a real estate team. You never really have a contractor on your team he is just part of the process. Almost all contractors are lone wolfs and are not good team mates. Even after you have commenced a good relationship with a contractor you must be vigilant to ensure your current project does not get away from you. 

  • Jared HottleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA · Member since 2020 · 902 posts · 549 votes
    3y

    Finding contractors is the toughest for me. Lots of guys out there but not enough that are fair priced, reliable with good problem solving skills. The trades have been easier to find  

  • Realtor · NJ · Member since 2020 · 277 posts · 138 votes
    3y

    I think this will be the most common answer, but I find it to be true...contractors. It just takes time, experience, and reps to find a reliable and reputable contractor that you can trust and also have a good working rapport with.

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas-Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2021 · 116 posts · 69 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mike Reynolds:

    Since I am a contractor, I can always find myself. Property manager is hard for me. 

    I will say though that it is hard to find handyman people that will follow through. I had a friend that wanted to become a handy man and asked me my advice. I told him that if he would just show up and do what he said he would do, he could write his ticket. 5 years later and he is the go to guy in town. Now, if we could just get a few more like him, we would be ok. 

     @Mike Reynolds LOL we have the opposite problem.  Since we've expanded state-wide, we are building our contractor base in different areas.  Can be challenging for sure!

  • Real Estate Agent · TX · Member since 2022 · 128 posts · 73 votes
    3y

    How would you start your selection process for finding cleaning crew for Air BnB specifically? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.