OPEN MINDED INVESTORS??

OPEN MINDED INVESTORS??

Real Estate Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 0 votes

Are there any cash investors willing to be open minded for future home owners? Meaning that, throughout my 4 years learning about Real Estate Ive realized that there are so many programs and strategies to help home owners losing their homes.. but what about people who want to own but credit is bad?? So after thinking about this deeply, Im now putting my focus on hard working people with low credit scores and trying to create a Lease Option program for middle class communities.

Iv worked with the City of Riverside for over 10 yrs and meeting people and helping them is so rewarding. Ive helped organize the well known Orange Blossom Festival Downtown Mission Inn, Toys for Tots programs, After School programs and so many other special events as well, and these parents have more of a dedication then others when it comes to buying a home.

So if anybody wants to hear more on what I have planned. Please send me a message and I will be happy to answer any questions that you may have!

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
12y

Maybe its just me, but when I hear a phrase like "OPEN MINDED INVESTORS" my first thought is that you really mean "suckers".

These are high risk deals. Someone on the investor side is going to want a high return so they can bear the cost of the failed deals.

I strongly disagree with "the American dream of home ownership". I strongly believe that is a crock of bologna foisted on the public by people who make money from selling houses. It is absolutely no different that car makers or stereo salesmen (think Judge Reinhold in "Ruthless People") who say "you should buy this, you deserve it." Owning a house is expensive. Houses are just expensive doo dads. Many folks are ill-prepared for those expenses. Someone with bad credit and $300 in their pocket has no business owning a house. Someone who sells a house to such a person is, frankly, scamming them. Given the new legislation, I think others agree with me.

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Steve Chaisson:
    Anna,

    You are on to something here, even if you don't realize exactly what it is.

    One of the keys to real estate investing is having the vision to find solutions to problems and helping to create that solution.

    I actually believe that you can help people in this area. It amazes me that our education system does not teach three of the most fundamental life skills necessary for stability and success:

    1. How to manage your finances.

    2. How to work hard and the value of hard work.

    3. How to sell yourself and be opportunistic.

    If you truly educate people with the right heart and you create the right system to do it, I believe you will find that many people are simply financially illiterate, and it is possible to help them, albeit difficult to affect an ingrained value system. You are fighting years of programming, but often times you may be the first person who has ever assisted them in understanding financial choices, and you can affect them.

    If your education system is productive, you can perhaps produce a model for qualification standards that will be attractive and safe for investors to yield an attractive return on investment. The challenge for you is the creativity of the model and the efficacy of your system in creating qualifyable purchasers. Good luck with your vision.

    Hi Steve I have a deal structured and wanted a few opinions before I take the next step. Since you didnt jump down my throat from the beginning, would you mind taking a quick look at what I put into place? Its short and simple straight from my hands to paper. If so can I shoot you a quick email and an attachment?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @anna ahhee - I wouldn't say that anyone "jumped down your throat". And if they did, it was probably because they didn't fully understand your original post. I'll admit that I'm not totally sure about what you were suggesting in your original post. Would you explain further?

  • Real Estate Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bryan L.:
    @anna ahhee - I wouldn't say that anyone "jumped down your throat". And if they did, it was probably because they didn't fully understand your original post. I'll admit that I'm not totally sure about what you were suggesting in your original post. Would you explain further?

    If possible can you shoot me an email so I can send you the details.

    [email protected]

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    @Anna Ahhee - I myself have a vision for a new company. I believe in helping people - sometimes to a fault. I have never found a real purpose in strictly investing for the sake of profit alone. I create value for investor clients through wholesaling properties, and I have always looked to find great deals for customers as an agent.

    If you can bring meaningful change to people then I hope it can be profitable. Changing peoples lives is no easy task, and investors are certainly risk averse, as they should be. You deserve to make a healthy profit if you can pull it off.

    If you dedicate yourself to a structured system I believe that you can create homeowners out of people who have simply never been properly educated to make responsible financial choices. You will need to put energy into leadership and create a culture of expectation within a functional educational model.

    My new company is also focused on education, and I have put something together that will launch in February. It's never been done before, and I have very high hopes for success.

    Education doesn't simply occur from the assimilation and delivery of factual materials and unique insights - it occurs where energy and leadership inspire passion for thought and action. I look forward to seeing your ideas on the subject.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @Steve Chaisson - Steve, I'm about 80 miles east of you. If you ever desire to wholesale in my area, I'm looking for deals to rehab. Also, I sell some of my properties with o-f. If your new business next year will have anything to do with educating tenant-buyers on how to improve their credit, make and keep a budget so that they can pay me on time, etc, then I'm all ears.

  • Real Estate Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Steve Chaisson:
    @Anna Ahhee - I myself have a vision for a new company. I believe in helping people - sometimes to a fault. I have never found a real purpose in strictly investing for the sake of profit alone. I create value for investor clients through wholesaling properties, and I have always looked to find great deals for customers as an agent.

    If you can bring meaningful change to people then I hope it can be profitable. Changing peoples lives is no easy task, and investors are certainly risk averse, as they should be. You deserve to make a healthy profit if you can pull it off.

    If you dedicate yourself to a structured system I believe that you can create homeowners out of people who have simply never been properly educated to make responsible financial choices. You will need to put energy into leadership and create a culture of expectation within a functional educational model.

    My new company is also focused on education, and I have put something together that will launch in February. It's never been done before, and I have very high hopes for success.

    Education doesn't simply occur from the assimilation and delivery of factual materials and unique insights - it occurs where energy and leadership inspire passion for thought and action. I look forward to seeing your ideas on the subject.

    Steve, thank you for adding to my motivation and desires. I am very much dedicated to making this happen in the near future. I wish you all the best of luck with your business and who knows we might come across each others paths some how.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 169 posts · 27 votes
    12y

    @Steve Chaisson @Anna Ahhee I'm actually quite interested in what both of you are doing, as I am planning my personal wealth building to include positive public transformation. I see the ownership of land as a very empowering or very crippling position, dependent on the terms of ownership and quality of property. I feel the most positive changes in our society are easier enacted by those in urban development than our political and financial leaders, and as an investor it puts me in a rare position to play a part in the connection between the two poles of the equation.

    I'm also very interested in all of the feedback from our BP community, as it seems there is more working knowledge here than on the shelves at Barnes and Noble, or through the corporate pipelines. (Keller Williams, Remax, Cent21)

    "Open minded investors" translates to successful entrepreneurs in my mind, as long as said entrepreneurs are well informed and willing to utilize work ethic and good sense. While I believe good intention comes from the heart, good sense comes from the mind, and good ideas become great ideas when seasoned with educated feedback.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @Anna Ahhee - I read your plan. And honestly, there's still some parts of it that I still don't understand. But the base of it seems to be a basic lease-option plan. I've been doing that for years. Many investors have been. And when I first started offering my properties with lease-option, I also considered it as a way to help people (like you alluded to in your original post). And the cold, hard, truth of the matter is that most lease-option buyers will never be able to actually get a bank loan and complete the process. Maybe with a LOT of hand-holding. And, like I tried to explain in an earlier post, there's a lot of these same people who will burn you, even though you have given them a great opportunity and tried to help them.

    Now, I'm still a little confused about your role in all of this. It seems that you may be taking on the role of matching up a seller who is willing to sell with lease-option, to a buyer who is wanting to buy with lease-option. That would be called real estate brokerage and most states require a broker's license for that (a.k.a. "agent" and/or "Realtor").

    On the other hand, there may be ways to do this without doing brokerage. There are investors who basically flip option contracts, or who do sandwich lease-options. There's one guy who has a system called "sub3" that is doing something similar to this. And there are lots of investors who buy with owner-financing (either lease-option, land-contract, wrapped mortgage, or sub2) and then sell with owner-financing or lease-option.

    I'm afraid that you don't appear to have anything new, unique, or novel, but the good news is that your basic plan (or something similar) is a sound strategy, so long as you remember that the actual cash-out rate, where the lease-option buyer actually gets a bank loan to complete the process, is low. And these same people who are "buyers" instead of renters are still quite capable of leaving a house in a total mess with thousands of dollars worth of damage and missed payments. It's typically better than having renters, but not the prize jewel of investing that it may seem. Check into a book called, "Buy Low, Rent Smart, Sell High".

    Anyway, I'm not intending to burst your bubble or to throw water on your fire. But I'm not sure where the "helping people" part is or the "open-minded" part of your plan is. Now, if you can work with tenant-buyers to help them pay on time, improve their credit, and get a bank loan within 2 or 3 years to complete the process, then you are adding real value, and I would gladly pay you for that service.

    I hope that I have not offended you again, and I may still be missing something in your plan.

  • Real Estate Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bryan L.:
    @Anna Ahhee - I read your plan. And honestly, there's still some parts of it that I still don't understand. But the base of it seems to be a basic lease-option plan. I've been doing that for years. Many investors have been. And when I first started offering my properties with lease-option, I also considered it as a way to help people (like you alluded to in your original post). And the cold, hard, truth of the matter is that most lease-option buyers will never be able to actually get a bank loan and complete the process. Maybe with a LOT of hand-holding. And, like I tried to explain in an earlier post, there's a lot of these same people who will burn you, even though you have given them a great opportunity and tried to help them.

    Now, I'm still a little confused about your role in all of this. It seems that you may be taking on the role of matching up a seller who is willing to sell with lease-option, to a buyer who is wanting to buy with lease-option. That would be called real estate brokerage and most states require a broker's license for that (a.k.a. "agent" and/or "Realtor").

    On the other hand, there may be ways to do this without doing brokerage. There are investors who basically flip option contracts, or who do sandwich lease-options. There's one guy who has a system called "sub3" that is doing something similar to this. And there are lots of investors who buy with owner-financing (either lease-option, land-contract, wrapped mortgage, or sub2) and then sell with owner-financing or lease-option.

    I'm afraid that you don't appear to have anything new, unique, or novel, but the good news is that your basic plan (or something similar) is a sound strategy, so long as you remember that the actual cash-out rate, where the lease-option buyer actually gets a bank loan to complete the process, is low. And these same people who are "buyers" instead of renters are still quite capable of leaving a house in a total mess with thousands of dollars worth of damage and missed payments. It's typically better than having renters, but not the prize jewel of investing that it may seem. Check into a book called, "Buy Low, Rent Smart, Sell High".

    Anyway, I'm not intending to burst your bubble or to throw water on your fire. But I'm not sure where the "helping people" part is or the "open-minded" part of your plan is. Now, if you can work with tenant-buyers to help them pay on time, improve their credit, and get a bank loan within 2 or 3 years to complete the process, then you are adding real value, and I would gladly pay you for that service.

    I hope that I have not offended you again, and I may still be missing something in your plan.

    The details I sent were based on a deal that Im trying to put together now, not of my future plans. I should of discussed that before hand. That map is based on the situation currently in my lap. Buyer 1 got pre-approved for $200k but cant put high deposit. He has a good chunk in 401K plan ($110k) but cant pull full amount until Feb. due to two small loans already on it previously. Buyer 2 wants an investment property and agreed to purchase a house that Buyer 1 likes for low price then repair touch-ups and re-sell for more than the org .price to Buyer 1. Without using loan, Buyer 1 will pay a small deposit of about $4000 to Buyer 2, monthly payment of $1100, which only 25% will go towards actual purchase. By providing Buyer 2 with a post-dated check of $80k to be cashed in March and signed contracts with all the terms, Buyer 2 has some security and holds title as well.....

    As for my goals ahead Im basically researching each area of the risk factors and educating myself with all possible solutions. Reason I stated Open-Minded was to reach out to other professionals and see what type of responses I got. Mainly networking and building resources to begin with. If somebody replied asking me what I had in mind then to me thats being open-minded.

    Sorry for the confusion.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    I tried to update my previous post, but it seems that it didn't take it all.

    To me, it seems that your future plans involve some type of system to bring together o-f (owner-finance) sellers and o-f buyers. There's many ways to do that. The most direct way is brokerage (i.e. being a Realtor). There are other ways that wouldn't require you to be a broker like sandwich lease-options, flipping lease options, sub3 (method by a cool guy named David Alexander), etc. What concerns me about all of these is this: when the end-buyer defaults and trashes the place, even though they were a "buyer" and not a renter (it will happen, ask me how I know), who is responsible for the clean-up and repairs? The middle-man investor or Realtor who brought the two parties together? Or does it fall back on the original seller? My question is not just for your planned system, but for anyone who is running a similar system.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Columbus , OH · Member since 2010 · 68 posts · 23 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Anna Ahhee:

    Anna,

    I think you may be reading Bigger Pockets wrong.

    As I read over the post I see an endless supply of new investors that have ideas and deals that they think will work. In that respect BP is like any other online investment board. However, there are also a lot of very experienced investors here that are generous enough to take the time to poke holes in the "new" ideas.

    Some of the ideas that I thought were the next great thing just did not stand up to critical thought.

    That's not to say you should take every criticism to heart but it is a valuable thing to have a group of expert investors point out where the pitfalls in a plan are.

    It is indeed a valuable tool to have this level of expertise available to us.

    Respectfully,

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    @Anna Ahhee

    maybe I missed your reply to my post and questions, or if you didn't reply I guess I'll consider them ignored. You don't have any desires mentioned that have not been addressed before, there are already strategies in place to meet your goals without getting into guru stuff. :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2013 · 584 posts · 353 votes
    12y

    There was a very large industry build around doing this. It was called sub-prime lending and it was dominated by a huge company called Countrywide. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows how that turned out.

    Home ownership is great, but the harsh reality is that not everyone is suited for it. As a society we often push the idea that everyone should own a home. That is simply not true. In fact, trying to get people into homes that shouldn't be is doing a dis-service to everyone involved.

    I would suggest instead of trying to figure out a program to get people with bad credit into owning homes figure out a way to help them improve their credit so that they can qualify for a normal loan.

    My $0.02, stepping off the soap box now....

  • Real Estate Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Wade Sikkink:
    There was a very large industry build around doing this. It was called sub-prime lending and it was dominated by a huge company called Countrywide. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows how that turned out.

    Home ownership is great, but the harsh reality is that not everyone is suited for it. As a society we often push the idea that everyone should own a home. That is simply not true. In fact, trying to get people into homes that shouldn't be is doing a dis-service to everyone involved.

    I would suggest instead of trying to figure out a program to get people with bad credit into owning homes figure out a way to help them improve their credit so that they can qualify for a normal loan.

    My $0.02, stepping off the soap box now....

    You are right and Countrywide is well known!

  • Real Estate Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    TO EVERYBODY that responded to my initial post of being Open -Minded, I want to say thank you very much for your opinions and the expert advice hit the nail on the head! This is exactly what I wanted and intended to do.

    As for a program that I had in mind, I know its going to be a long process and I need to take into consideration of all the facts given be each one of you. I still have that dream but for now Im stepping back from the idea until Im more experienced.

    So now Im posting new topic to help me shed more light...

    Thanks again!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.