Average cost per sqft to build

Average cost per sqft to build

New to Real Estate · Rosenberg, TX · Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 5 votes

In todays market what’s the average cost per square to build in the Houston area. I know that’s kind of a vague question but I’m looking to build 1100sqft house. 2 bed 2 bath. Not too complex of a design. I will do the finishing myself but I’m asking for foundation, plumbing, electrical, framing and drywall. Attached is a picture of the plan for reference 

0Reply
191 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 135 posts · 84 votes
2y

I recently completed a duplex build in Acres Homes area of Houston with a builder friend for $101/ft. The wild thing is that this cost of $101/ft included his fee which equated to over $37k. The work was good enough but you definitely get what you pay for. I found a different builder for my upcoming projects that offers consulting services on a monthly basis. This is super cool because it lets me be more hands on and save costs while having an experienced builder helping plug in all the pieces. 

The coolest part is BRRRR'ing new construction. If you run your numbers correctly, it is possible to build a duplex in cash, rent it out, and use a DSCR Loan to pull all of your money back out.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Kersey:

    I recently completed a duplex build in Acres Homes area of Houston with a builder friend for $101/ft. The wild thing is that this cost of $101/ft included his fee which equated to over $37k. The work was good enough but you definitely get what you pay for. I found a different builder for my upcoming projects that offers consulting services on a monthly basis. This is super cool because it lets me be more hands on and save costs while having an experienced builder helping plug in all the pieces. 

    The coolest part is BRRRR'ing new construction. If you run your numbers correctly, it is possible to build a duplex in cash, rent it out, and use a DSCR Loan to pull all of your money back out.

     Hi Chris, how much should one budget for soft cost for a similar duplex build? Currently looking at land deals in sunnyside but need to run accurate rough cost to see if itll be worth it

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    I remember back when it was like $75/sq. ft. Now it seems to start at $150 and go up from there. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 135 posts · 84 votes
    2y

    @Jose Leal

    I factor in $15k in soft costs and $10k contingency but it will depend on your specific situation. 

  • Investor · Houston · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Luciano A.:

    Not sure if this post is still active but I am a builder and developer in Houston. The price per square foot quote is a tricky measurement to go by. Compare apples to apples. Without seeing plans the price per square foot that comes out of a builder's mouth is a guess. The same build on one lot does not equate to the same price on a lot on the other side of town. There is a lot more than just the foundation and framing that goes into hard costs. BUT we normally tell clients for the back of the napkin number to use $122 per sq ft. This will help you see if your land cost and build will pencil in. The duplexes we have built thus far average around $120 sq ft. To get a better idea of what your ideal build would cost, find a build you like on HAR and present that to a builder so they can see the pics (finishes/design etc) and with that particular square footage they can give you an idea of what it will cost.

    Hope this helps anyone curious.


     Hi Luciano, thank you for your tips, I'd love to talk more with you, I have a project to build 2 or 4 homes in Houston and I'd like to connect with you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.