Average cost per sqft to build

Average cost per sqft to build

New to Real Estate · Rosenberg, TX · Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 5 votes

In todays market what’s the average cost per square to build in the Houston area. I know that’s kind of a vague question but I’m looking to build 1100sqft house. 2 bed 2 bath. Not too complex of a design. I will do the finishing myself but I’m asking for foundation, plumbing, electrical, framing and drywall. Attached is a picture of the plan for reference 

0Reply
216 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 135 posts · 84 votes
2y

I recently completed a duplex build in Acres Homes area of Houston with a builder friend for $101/ft. The wild thing is that this cost of $101/ft included his fee which equated to over $37k. The work was good enough but you definitely get what you pay for. I found a different builder for my upcoming projects that offers consulting services on a monthly basis. This is super cool because it lets me be more hands on and save costs while having an experienced builder helping plug in all the pieces. 

The coolest part is BRRRR'ing new construction. If you run your numbers correctly, it is possible to build a duplex in cash, rent it out, and use a DSCR Loan to pull all of your money back out.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 52 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tony Nuttall:

    In todays market what’s the average cost per square to build in the Houston area. I know that’s kind of a vague question but I’m looking to build 1100sqft house. 2 bed 2 bath. Not too complex of a design. I will do the finishing myself but I’m asking for foundation, plumbing, electrical, framing and drywall. Attached is a picture of the plan for reference 

    I’m assuming you are asking what the average sq foot to build is. If I were you I would call around and get bids from home builders. 
  • Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 26 votes
    3y

    I would add "Houston, TX" to your title to hopefully attract people who know that market. Where I live, just south of Atlanta, GA it's approximately 150 per sq ft to build, that's going to vary widely by the market though. Find or get referrals for a few contractors and get bids from them to get a better idea.

  • Insurance Agent · TX · Member since 2018 · 362 posts · 175 votes
    3y

    Hi @Tony Nuttall I got a price for a 1500/sq foot home and it was priced at 125ppsf.  That was with mid level finishes.

    I have heard people in Houston say you can find as low as 100ppsf but I haven't found it.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    I have several patio homes in Houston with room to add more.  I was quoted $120/sf.  I think that's about as cheap as it gets.  It was that price as they just stamp out 10 of them and copy what I have. 

  • Littleton, CO · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    This is a great post and will continue to follow the discussion. I'm considering doing a land split and adding a property so great to hear what people are seeing nowadays.

  • New to Real Estate · Rosenberg, TX · Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Rolf:

    Hi @Tony Nuttall I got a price for a 1500/sq foot home and it was priced at 125ppsf.  That was with mid level finishes.

    I have heard people in Houston say you can find as low as 100ppsf but I haven't found it.


     Would you mind sharing the info for who quoted you that price please? I got a quote for $225 per sq and another for $180 per sq

  • Insurance Agent · TX · Member since 2018 · 362 posts · 175 votes
    3y

    @Tony Nuttall yes I'll PM you

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 58 votes
    3y

    Most of the rough estimates for new construction in Houston were in the $110 - $130 / sqft range. 

    These estimates are from March 2023 and will probably change drastically with time.

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Rolf:

    Hi @Tony Nuttall I got a price for a 1500/sq foot home and it was priced at 125ppsf.  That was with mid level finishes.

    I have heard people in Houston say you can find as low as 100ppsf but I haven't found it.

    Hi, @MatthewRolf I'm late to this thread, but could you share your builder information with me?
  • Insurance Agent · TX · Member since 2018 · 362 posts · 175 votes
    2y

    @Michael Johnson sure no problem.  I'll PM you.  Our new construction in Brenham is almost done.

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Thanks, Matthew!

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 184 posts · 147 votes
    2y

    @Matthew Rolf any way you could share your builder’s info with me? Looking to build 2x 1800 sq-ft houses 

  • Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 65 posts · 21 votes
    2y

    $120/SF with permits for low-mid quality

    $125/SF for mid-quality

    $150/SF for mid-high quality

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    2y

    Sure thing! For a basic 1100 square foot home with the features you've listed, the current market average ranges from $175 to $250 per square foot. So, your overall estimate falls roughly between $192,500 and $275,000. Keep in mind, this is a ballpark figure and may vary based on specific details.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cumming, GA · Member since 2017 · 66 posts · 15 votes
    2y

     Be specific when getting the quote.. quote may not include.. Grading/ sewer/ septic/ permitting /any subwalls ..

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Rolf:

    Hi @Tony Nuttall I got a price for a 1500/sq foot home and it was priced at 125ppsf.  That was with mid level finishes.

    I have heard people in Houston say you can find as low as 100ppsf but I haven't found it.


    I also sent you a message I would also like to know who that builder is.  Thank you so much.
  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Quotes I were seeing were as low as $165 sq/ft to up to $225 sq/ft. The mid-grade was in the $190 sq/ft. Where are you seeing that low of a price 120-150, is that for multiple build outs--6 or more-- and what's your definition of "mid" level finishes? 

    These quotes are with all the bells & whistles, not other things you need to add to the build of a house. Custom houses in very, very good areas.

  • Developer · Houston TX · Member since 2018 · 423 posts · 400 votes
    2y

    Not sure if this post is still active but I am a builder and developer in Houston. The price per square foot quote is a tricky measurement to go by. Compare apples to apples. Without seeing plans the price per square foot that comes out of a builder's mouth is a guess. The same build on one lot does not equate to the same price on a lot on the other side of town. There is a lot more than just the foundation and framing that goes into hard costs. BUT we normally tell clients for the back of the napkin number to use $122 per sq ft. This will help you see if your land cost and build will pencil in. The duplexes we have built thus far average around $120 sq ft. To get a better idea of what your ideal build would cost, find a build you like on HAR and present that to a builder so they can see the pics (finishes/design etc) and with that particular square footage they can give you an idea of what it will cost.

    Hope this helps anyone curious.

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Luciano A.:

    Not sure if this post is still active but I am a builder and developer in Houston. The price per square foot quote is a tricky measurement to go by. Compare apples to apples. Without seeing plans the price per square foot that comes out of a builder's mouth is a guess. The same build on one lot does not equate to the same price on a lot on the other side of town. There is a lot more than just the foundation and framing that goes into hard costs. BUT we normally tell clients for the back of the napkin number to use $122 per sq ft. This will help you see if your land cost and build will pencil in. The duplexes we have built thus far average around $120 sq ft. To get a better idea of what your ideal build would cost, find a build you like on HAR and present that to a builder so they can see the pics (finishes/design etc) and with that particular square footage they can give you an idea of what it will cost.

    Hope this helps anyone curious.

    $120 is that including material or its labor cost only?

  • Developer · Houston TX · Member since 2018 · 423 posts · 400 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Teycon NA:
    Quote from @Luciano A.:

    Not sure if this post is still active but I am a builder and developer in Houston. The price per square foot quote is a tricky measurement to go by. Compare apples to apples. Without seeing plans the price per square foot that comes out of a builder's mouth is a guess. The same build on one lot does not equate to the same price on a lot on the other side of town. There is a lot more than just the foundation and framing that goes into hard costs. BUT we normally tell clients for the back of the napkin number to use $122 per sq ft. This will help you see if your land cost and build will pencil in. The duplexes we have built thus far average around $120 sq ft. To get a better idea of what your ideal build would cost, find a build you like on HAR and present that to a builder so they can see the pics (finishes/design etc) and with that particular square footage they can give you an idea of what it will cost.

    Hope this helps anyone curious.

    $120 is that including material or its labor cost only?


     That is everything. Materials/Labor. What we consider hard costs. So permits, plans, and impact fees are soft costs and those are not included. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 135 posts · 84 votes
    2y

    I recently completed a duplex build in Acres Homes area of Houston with a builder friend for $101/ft. The wild thing is that this cost of $101/ft included his fee which equated to over $37k. The work was good enough but you definitely get what you pay for. I found a different builder for my upcoming projects that offers consulting services on a monthly basis. This is super cool because it lets me be more hands on and save costs while having an experienced builder helping plug in all the pieces. 

    The coolest part is BRRRR'ing new construction. If you run your numbers correctly, it is possible to build a duplex in cash, rent it out, and use a DSCR Loan to pull all of your money back out.

  • Houston · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Rolf:

    @Tony Nuttall yes I'll PM you


     Matthew would you mind sharing the builder info as well for the 120 psf? thanks

  • Houston · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Kersey:

    I recently completed a duplex build in Acres Homes area of Houston with a builder friend for $101/ft. The wild thing is that this cost of $101/ft included his fee which equated to over $37k. The work was good enough but you definitely get what you pay for. I found a different builder for my upcoming projects that offers consulting services on a monthly basis. This is super cool because it lets me be more hands on and save costs while having an experienced builder helping plug in all the pieces. 

    The coolest part is BRRRR'ing new construction. If you run your numbers correctly, it is possible to build a duplex in cash, rent it out, and use a DSCR Loan to pull all of your money back out.


     Chris that is awesome. do you have photos of the build? looking to build a duplex  in houston independence heights

  • New to Real Estate · Rosenberg, TX · Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Kersey:

    I recently completed a duplex build in Acres Homes area of Houston with a builder friend for $101/ft. The wild thing is that this cost of $101/ft included his fee which equated to over $37k. The work was good enough but you definitely get what you pay for. I found a different builder for my upcoming projects that offers consulting services on a monthly basis. This is super cool because it lets me be more hands on and save costs while having an experienced builder helping plug in all the pieces. 

    The coolest part is BRRRR'ing new construction. If you run your numbers correctly, it is possible to build a duplex in cash, rent it out, and use a DSCR Loan to pull all of your money back out.


  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 135 posts · 84 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Cole Rollen:
    Quote from @Chris Kersey:

    I recently completed a duplex build in Acres Homes area of Houston with a builder friend for $101/ft. The wild thing is that this cost of $101/ft included his fee which equated to over $37k. The work was good enough but you definitely get what you pay for. I found a different builder for my upcoming projects that offers consulting services on a monthly basis. This is super cool because it lets me be more hands on and save costs while having an experienced builder helping plug in all the pieces. 

    The coolest part is BRRRR'ing new construction. If you run your numbers correctly, it is possible to build a duplex in cash, rent it out, and use a DSCR Loan to pull all of your money back out.


     Chris that is awesome. do you have photos of the build? looking to build a duplex  in houston independence heights

     Hey @Cole Rollen

    Send me a DM.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.