New to Real Estate · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 31 posts · 39 votes
Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.
Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.
Dayton often has some deferred maintenance work. I suggest you look at some more markets before investing.
Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.
Hey Codey,welcome to BP! Dayton can be an okay market for cash flow because of low property prices, but if you’re looking at long-term growth and strong fundamentals, Columbus really stands out. The city is booming with population growth, job growth, and big companies like Intel, Amazon, Google, Honda, Facebook, Microsoft, and LG expanding here, which drives both rental demand and appreciation. You can still find properties in the $120K–180K range that hit the 1% rule and cash flow from day one, which is harder to find in Dayton when you factor in long-term potential. Columbus also has more landlord-friendly laws and a more active market, so your investments tend to be easier to manage and scale over time. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
Even though this post is a bit older, Dayton has continued to attract investor interest for similar reasons discussed back then. Pros still include relatively low entry prices compared to larger metros, steady blue-collar and healthcare/education employment, and solid rental demand when you’re in the right pockets. Cash flow tends to be more achievable than in higher-priced markets. Cons haven’t changed much either — neighborhood selection matters a lot, tenant quality can vary block by block, and strong property management is critical if you want this to be passive. For anyone investing there today, the biggest difference is being more conservative on rehab costs, rents, and taxes, and leaning heavily on local data and boots-on-the-ground partners.