Investing in Dayton

Investing in Dayton

New to Real Estate · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 31 posts · 39 votes

Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.

7Reply
349 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
3y

You live in the one of the best investment markets in the country, why not get a househack 2-4 unit?

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Codey Wendel:

    Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.


     If you are living in Columbus I would recommend buying something you can easily check on. I bought my first duplex and lived it in. Then bought 3 more 4 units within .4 miles of each other. I used to walk to my properties to mow the grass

  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    3y

    You live in the one of the best investment markets in the country, why not get a househack 2-4 unit?

  • New to Real Estate · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 31 posts · 39 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:

    You live in the one of the best investment markets in the country, why not get a househack 2-4 unit?


    That would be ideal, I'm just not seeing too many properties in my price range in Columbus. I'm sure if I stay patient and be proactive an opportunity will present itself. Also thought it could be a good idea to learn about different markets in Ohio, possibly for the future. 

  • New to Real Estate · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 31 posts · 39 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Remington Lyman:
    Quote from @Codey Wendel:

    Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.


     If you are living in Columbus I would recommend buying something you can easily check on. I bought my first duplex and lived it in. Then bought 3 more 4 units within .4 miles of each other. I used to walk to my properties to mow the grass


     Definitely a good point. Would save a ton of time and money. Appreciate your input.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Codey Wendel:
    Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:

    You live in the one of the best investment markets in the country, why not get a househack 2-4 unit?


    That would be ideal, I'm just not seeing too many properties in my price range in Columbus. I'm sure if I stay patient and be proactive an opportunity will present itself. Also thought it could be a good idea to learn about different markets in Ohio, possibly for the future. 

     You should talk to a lender like @Account Closed

    You can count the other side towards your DTI

  • Lender · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 56 posts · 25 votes
    3y

    Hi Codey:

    I just sent you a message.  Please let me know when you have a couple of minutes to go over your options.  I can definitely answer and questions that you have.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus | Toledo · Member since 2019 · 608 posts · 768 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Codey Wendel:

    Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.


    Check out some smaller towns between Dayton and Columbus, like Jeffersonville. Honda has broken ground on the new battery plant out there, and you'll be able to keep an eye on your first investment 

  • Realtor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    Dayton is a great place to invest. I am a Realtor in Dayton as well as an investor. What questions can I answer?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Codey Wendel:

    Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.


     Dayton's cool if you're looking for low cost rentals. However the crime and fentanyl epidemic is pretty wild out there. Gotta keep that stuff in mind when searching for cheap places to invest. There is usually a reason why certain areas are so cheap compared to others.

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Codey Wendel:

    Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.


    Codey, I own both properties in Columbus and Dayton (University of Dayton Campus) where I own a SFH that I BRRRR'ed last summer. Dayton is a cheaper market to invest in. You will experience higher cash-flow but as strong of an appreciation as Columbus.

  • Realtor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Codey Wendel:

    Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.

    Hey Codey,
    I'm an active investor in Dayton as well as a Realtor so I've got a pretty good pulse on the market and the area. I'm going to shoot you a message so we can connect!

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    3y

    Be careful to avoid the D class areas of Dayton. I made that mistake when buying in Dayton from California.

  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:

    Be careful to avoid the D class areas of Dayton. I made that mistake when buying in Dayton from California.

    Hi can you tell me what are  D areas I’m looking to invest in zip code 45405 it’s in Montgomery county also can you recommend some good zip code or county to invest in thanks 
  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Hi Kevin what’s your thoughts on in investing in Montgomery county zip code 45405 thanks 

  • Attorney · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 193 posts · 145 votes
    2y

    The areas around Wright-Patterson AFB are great rentals. You can get military renters and report to their supervisors if they are late on rent. This is a very reliable source of renters.

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Denita Isaac:
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:

    Be careful to avoid the D class areas of Dayton. I made that mistake when buying in Dayton from California.

    Hi can you tell me what are  D areas I’m looking to invest in zip code 45405 it’s in Montgomery county also can you recommend some good zip code or county to invest in thanks 

     45405 and 45406 are indeed D class areas.

  • Member since 2023 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Codey Wendel:

    Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.




    Investing in Dayton, Ohio many advantages and some disadvantages. One of the main advantages of course is affordable real estate prices (according to Redfin, the median home price in Dayton reached $115,000 ). The other great advantage is of course the growing job market, as well as a lower cost of living compared to other cities. Additionally Dayton has a pretty strong rental market, making it a good place for real estate investors to generate rental income.

    On the other hand, some disadvantages of investing in Dayton may include economic fluctuations, potential property maintenance issues, and a competitive real estate market. It's important to carefully research and evaluate the local market conditions before making any investment decisions.

    My advice in this type of question is to consult with a real estate professional or financial advisor can also help you make informed choices about investing in that particular area.
  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:
    Quote from @Denita Isaac:
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:

    Be careful to avoid the D class areas of Dayton. I made that mistake when buying in Dayton from California.

    Hi can you tell me what are  D areas I’m looking to invest in zip code 45405 it’s in Montgomery county also can you recommend some good zip code or county to invest in thanks 

     45405 and 45406 are indeed D class areas.

     How about 45402 and 45403?    Looking at two rentals there.  Thanks!

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Black:
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:
    Quote from @Denita Isaac:
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:

    Be careful to avoid the D class areas of Dayton. I made that mistake when buying in Dayton from California.

    Hi can you tell me what are  D areas I’m looking to invest in zip code 45405 it’s in Montgomery county also can you recommend some good zip code or county to invest in thanks 

     45405 and 45406 are indeed D class areas.

     How about 45402 and 45403?    Looking at two rentals there.  Thanks!


     45402 things start to get better. Personally I avoid this area:

    There are pockets in here where you can certainly make money but I had some bad experiences all over there.

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:
    Quote from @Jay Black:
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:
    Quote from @Denita Isaac:
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:

    Be careful to avoid the D class areas of Dayton. I made that mistake when buying in Dayton from California.

    Hi can you tell me what are  D areas I’m looking to invest in zip code 45405 it’s in Montgomery county also can you recommend some good zip code or county to invest in thanks 

     45405 and 45406 are indeed D class areas.

     How about 45402 and 45403?    Looking at two rentals there.  Thanks!


     45402 things start to get better. Personally I avoid this area:

    There are pockets in here where you can certainly make money but I had some bad experiences all over there.


     Thanks for the info/insight.   The 2 properties are rehabbed and my contact is selling them for 110K each.   

    What tools do you use to decide whether a neighbourhood is C or D etc?   Crime sites?   

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Black:
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:
    Quote from @Jay Black:
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:
    Quote from @Denita Isaac:
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:

    Be careful to avoid the D class areas of Dayton. I made that mistake when buying in Dayton from California.

    Hi can you tell me what are  D areas I’m looking to invest in zip code 45405 it’s in Montgomery county also can you recommend some good zip code or county to invest in thanks 

     45405 and 45406 are indeed D class areas.

     How about 45402 and 45403?    Looking at two rentals there.  Thanks!


     45402 things start to get better. Personally I avoid this area:

    There are pockets in here where you can certainly make money but I had some bad experiences all over there.


     Thanks for the info/insight.   The 2 properties are rehabbed and my contact is selling them for 110K each.   

    What tools do you use to decide whether a neighbourhood is C or D etc?   Crime sites?   


     Mostly experience. I used to own there.  Talking with other landlords. Driving through those neighborhoods. ect.

  • Member since 2023 · 46 posts · 9 votes
    9mo

    Hi everyone, happy holidays! Does anyone know a great realltor that has extensive experience in investing in real estate him/herself in dayton ohio?

    • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Elvin Torres:

      Hi everyone, happy holidays! Does anyone know a great realltor that has extensive experience in investing in real estate him/herself in dayton ohio?


       Hey Elvin, I don't have a good contact for an agent who invests a ton themselves but I have a contact for a great realtor in Dayton, OH. If you would like to talk to her, shoot me a message and I can connect the 2 of you

      Sam McCormack Realtor
      View Page
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 939 votes
    9mo

    @Codey Wendel

    Dayton has some strong opportunities for entry-level investors. Pros include lower purchase prices compared to larger cities, solid cash flow potential, and neighborhoods where you can get 1–1.5% of the purchase price in monthly rent. It’s also easier to scale a portfolio quickly here without huge capital. Cons are that some areas require careful tenant screening, and older properties may need more maintenance or rehab. Connecting with local investors or property managers can really help navigate the neighborhoods and find the best deals.

  • Member since 2023 · 46 posts · 9 votes
    9mo

    Hi sam and thanks! I am actually looking for an ivestor/realtor, to start building a relationship and get some education on the different neighborhoods there. I want to become a more informed investor/buyer myself.

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Codey Wendel:

    Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.


     I own student housing in dayton and it is doing very well. I've got a solid team for property management and good contractors there.

    You will typically see good deals for about 60-70% of the price of Columbus in mirroring areas. The market is very affordable and stable. Buy in the east side and you are good!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.