Why I will no longer answer questions from the unknowledgeable

Why I will no longer answer questions from the unknowledgeable

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes

For the last 15 years I have been answering questions from unknowledgeable wanna be investors who watched a guru on YouTube and now wants to know where to get the earnest money to tie up multi million dollar properties before he can flip them for $200,000 profits.  After I provide a true, unbiased reasonable response more likely than not I’m “attacked” for (1) being a “hater”. (2) having “it in” for wholesalers or subject to buyers or lease option advocates or land flippers, or….. (3) not “understanding” the strategy or tactic in question (4) being out of touch with the way real estate works today.  So, to separate the rare newbie who is willing to do the real work at educating himself on what really is necessary for success from the people who want to take what they perceive is the guru/mentor shortcut (or the “cheap” version in which instead of buying the program you hang around the edges seeking “free” information from those who have paid for those program) I will not answer specifically as to why the program they’re suggesting won’t work or is too risky or borders on illegal.  Instead I will offer a simple suggestion.  Read and study 

Principles of Real Estate Practice: 6th Edition

by Stephen Mettling (Author), David Cusic (Author

Or a similar text.  IF you do I will be happy to answer any or all questions you may have.  But if the newbie won’t put the effort in to learn (1) the principles of real estate (2) real estate law and basic real estate finance I won’t make the effort to share the benefit of my knowledge and experience. 

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
61Reply
533 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
2y

The problem as I see it, is we live in an age of information, and instant gratification,...with a lot of impatience added leading to the use of shortcuts.

All of this leads to a complete lack of understanding what the difference is between information and actual knowledge.  The internet is full of information, and knowledge.  Both are valuable, but they are not the same.  Knowledge will give you complete pictures, systems, creativity, etc... and is contiguous. Information fills in where there might be gaps in the knowledge, or connects one set of knowledge to others.

Too often, due to my first paragraph, we find too many thinking that if they collect enough "quick" info, by shear volume, they have gained knowledge.  They haven't.  All they've done is create more gaps.

See this reply in the discussion

113 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Peter Tverdov:

    I have felt that way for about 5 years on here OP. This place fell off a cliff in 2019 and never recovered. Most of the people who DM me are tire kickers sadly. 

    @Peter Tverdov: There is a reason (or two) for that.

    1. People are broke. The way the economy has been manipulated has been brutal on people.
    2. That banana republic management approach to the economy has caused high interest rates.
    3. Since everybody coming into "house buying age" received a trophy for showing up, from elementary school age to now, they feel entitled to receive without putting in the work. (Okay, not everybody, but a whole lot of people.)
    4. The only thing "sustainable" in this economy is poverty.

    A guy with some discipline, ambition and planning is going to make a great living going forward. Most people have removed themselves from the competition and don't possess any of those three traits.

    “Since everybody coming into "house buying age" received a trophy for showing up, from elementary school age to now, they feel entitled to receive without putting in the work.”


    We have a winner.  This describes one of the biggest problems found in the last 3 or 4 decades.
  • Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2022 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    2y

    Real estate is funny thing. Have been investing and loaning private money for 20 years and have interacted with all walks of life. People feel like real estate always makes money as long as you have the money to invest. I think this has been compounded by social media and all the real estate gurus out there. Have met people who spend more time doing research on a new TV than a 6 figure investment in real estate.

  • Investor · Hillsboro, OR · Member since 2016 · 310 posts · 153 votes
    2y
    Quote from @April VanCleve:

    I know this may leave a bitter taste, but I have found a lot of fast, concise, well put together answers to most of my questions on Chat GPT/Open AI. No $10K program for me! Not to say an experts advice isn't solid - just saying the culmination of information across all experts and all spans of time in one place is pretty helpful. 


     Chat GPT will give you the most common answers.  This is not the same as the most correct answer.  It does not provide context or nuance.  Important to know the limitations.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Great thread. I get a lot of people DM'ing me asking about investing in the Bay Area or OOS. I've posted several times about my experiences at length especially with OOS investing and my struggles to try to scale my portfolio. 

    Several of the messages I get are people who never post on the forums, ask me one question and when I reply they disappear - I was just wondering what they wound up doing in the end, did they buy a property in California, the Indianapolis area, etc? There was the one time someone tried to scam me asking me to be a transactional lender - huge red flags

    As far as the gurus, I'd like to take a survey of people who paid for gurus' programs and see where they are 3, 5 or 10 years from now. The best resources I've had have been free - attending meet ups, Zoom/phone calls with people from BP, property management companies, and contractors.    

    I've recently talked to women who don't know anything about investing in general, as in they leave their money in savings account earning 0.1% interest or say that "it's too late or I'm too old".  Two of the frightening conversations I've had are women who had to return to work at age 65 or 72 because their Social Security payments or deceased husband's pension was not enough to live on with inflation. Just by looking at the forums, over 70% of RE investors are men. I feel like one of my missions in life now is to empower women to become financially savvy and get into RE investing as one path - one of my friends said I should teach a course... I could become a guru LOL... I'm happy to help people for free as a way of giving back from all the advice I received on here. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @April VanCleve:

    I know this may leave a bitter taste, but I have found a lot of fast, concise, well put together answers to most of my questions on Chat GPT/Open AI.

    'Fast' is usually not good. 'Concise' and 'well put together' are nice I guess but not very important in the big picture.

    I would think that someone starting out would value a 1) wise and 2)correct answer (not aimed at you, April :-)

    What I see quite a bit when talking to people seeking advice is the rush to success - "I want 10 doors in 2 years", "I want to retire from my W2 job by age 40", Etc..

    And then I find there is the desire and expectation for 'easy'. Everything has got to have a website, computer program or most dreaded......wait for it.....AN APP. "Is there an App for that? " No there is not. 

    Make your own spreadsheets, and write stuff down on this thing we call paper with this other thing we call a pen....


  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @April VanCleve:

    I know this may leave a bitter taste, but I have found a lot of fast, concise, well put together answers to most of my questions on Chat GPT/Open AI.

    ......

    What I see quite a bit when talking to people seeking advice is the rush to success - "I want 10 doors in 2 years", "I want to retire from my W2 job by age 40", Etc..

    ........

    ....That, and:
    1 -  they have no plan of how to get there
    2 -  they have no idea of how long it will take to get there based on having no idea of each step along the way,...which means they have no plan on how to get there (I said that already.   Worth repeating).
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @April VanCleve:

    I know this may leave a bitter taste, but I have found a lot of fast, concise, well put together answers to most of my questions on Chat GPT/Open AI.

    ......

    What I see quite a bit when talking to people seeking advice is the rush to success - "I want 10 doors in 2 years", "I want to retire from my W2 job by age 40", Etc..

    ........

    ....That, and:
    1 -  they have no plan of how to get there
    2 -  they have no idea of how long it will take to get there based on having no idea of each step along the way,...which means they have no plan on how to get there (I said that already.   Worth repeating).

    Yessir. Often the only 'goal' I hear is "I want to be making $300k per year from REI in 3 years." My follow-up is 'well what are your goals to get there from here'....? Which is met by a blank stare......

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    I’m trying to get to either 5,000 posts or 5,000 votes.  I want a free BP hat.  The less of you helping , the faster I will get there.


    My point is what is your business model for being in BP?  

    Mine is boredom. Our REI models require work , then no work. In between I will get on BP or a SelfStorage forum and make posts.

    A side benefit, it has sharpened my business analysis.  

    After you answer what is your business model for being on BP, then ask what is BPs business model for the way the forum is run and how your interaction supports that.  How is BP dollarized?  BP could be made far more effective for a new investor, but that would reduce the churn.  

    As far as newbies. I recommend they buy a trailer or a house hack that requires a paint job and a new carpet. No structural. An investment when they lose money, it will be relatively small. But they will have learned about 50% of REI and are not scared to invest now.

    On Self storage questions I give them homework assignments.  They have all disappeared to date.  They have to do work and not me.  Tell them to read my posts and to vote on them. If I don’t see them voting, I know they didn’t do their homework and I don’t help them out.

    Start small and Make Your Big Mistakes Early.

    Don't trust me, everything in Self Storage can be validated.

    It’s your money, you’re right, even if you’re wrong.  

    Was out discing ground up this afternoon to plant oats tomorrow.  Keeps our taxes as Agriculture versus commercial.  I’ll
     have to do a post asking what you would plant to keep your zoning.  

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    Was out discing ground up this afternoon to plant oats tomorrow.  Keeps our taxes as Agriculture versus commercial.  I’ll

     have to do a post asking what you would plant to keep your zoning.  

    Isn't there an APP for that?


  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    Was out discing ground up this afternoon to plant oats tomorrow.  Keeps our taxes as Agriculture versus commercial.  I’ll

     have to do a post asking what you would plant to keep your zoning.  

    Isn't there an APP for that?


    There is no app, but I have built a wonderful community of investors that is life altering. This community is the greatest ever. We will talk about what to plant to keep your zoning, as this is such a hot topic coming into the next five years and the number of deals that will be out there for this will be off the charts. We have coordinators in house to who can handle the entire transaction and setup a LLC for $5k through a company affiliation, then multi layer it 75 times because we want you to protect the assets you have which include the $5k credit card debt and the $17 in cash you have in your bank account.

    If this sounds like something you want, because you know you cannot live without this, then send me $5k to sign up..
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    2y

    Indeed, many are looking for shortcuts to success without being willing to put in real effort. Your suggestion to study real estate principles and legislation in this area sounds reasonable. Principles of Real Estate Practice: 6th Edition looks like a good resource for those who really want to understand this area. I will keep it in mind when discussing real estate.

  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 18 votes
    2y
  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 18 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @April VanCleve:

    I know this may leave a bitter taste, but I have found a lot of fast, concise, well put together answers to most of my questions on Chat GPT/Open AI. No $10K program for me! Not to say an experts advice isn't solid - just saying the culmination of information across all experts and all spans of time in one place is pretty helpful. 

    Your comment: "but I have found a lot of fast, concise, well put together answers to most of my questions on Chat GPT/Open AI."

    But, How would you know if it's good advice?

     Ask it a couple of ways, vet it against other information found online from credible sources if there's any doubt. Have you ever used it? It's pretty incredible! 

  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 18 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @April VanCleve:

    I know this may leave a bitter taste, but I have found a lot of fast, concise, well put together answers to most of my questions on Chat GPT/Open AI. No $10K program for me! Not to say an experts advice isn't solid - just saying the culmination of information across all experts and all spans of time in one place is pretty helpful. 

    Your comment: "but I have found a lot of fast, concise, well put together answers to most of my questions on Chat GPT/Open AI."

    But, How would you know if it's good advice?
    Yup
    How would I know the advice one person gives me is good advice if I am a newbie? It's just another source to vet info from (only it's from a ton of investors compiled information over all spans of time).
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @April VanCleve:
    Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @April VanCleve:

    I know this may leave a bitter taste, but I have found a lot of fast, concise, well put together answers to most of my questions on Chat GPT/Open AI. No $10K program for me! Not to say an experts advice isn't solid - just saying the culmination of information across all experts and all spans of time in one place is pretty helpful. 

    Your comment: "but I have found a lot of fast, concise, well put together answers to most of my questions on Chat GPT/Open AI."

    But, How would you know if it's good advice?
    Yup
    How would I know the advice one person gives me is good advice if I am a newbie? It's just another source to vet info from (only it's from a ton of investors compiled information over all spans of time).
    Learn the basics of REI, Geometry and Algebra.  This knowledge(not just info on these things) becomes your BS meter.
  • Investor · Hillsboro, OR · Member since 2016 · 310 posts · 153 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    Was out discing ground up this afternoon to plant oats tomorrow.  Keeps our taxes as Agriculture versus commercial.  I’ll

     have to do a post asking what you would plant to keep your zoning.  

    Isn't there an APP for that?


    There is no app, but I have built a wonderful community of investors that is life altering. This community is the greatest ever. We will talk about what to plant to keep your zoning, as this is such a hot topic coming into the next five years and the number of deals that will be out there for this will be off the charts. We have coordinators in house to who can handle the entire transaction and setup a LLC for $5k through a company affiliation, then multi layer it 75 times because we want you to protect the assets you have which include the $5k credit card debt and the $17 in cash you have in your bank account.

    If this sounds like something you want, because you know you cannot live without this, then send me $5k to sign up..

     Chris, Gonna need an affiliate code for that!  And, the answer is Buckwheat.  I'm laughing at this post, because I met a young man last night that is gonna plant my back half acre in buckwheat for me.  ( Sorry, Henry Clark....but half acre is the best I can do.)  No tax benefits but saving me time and money by not having to mow, fertilize, water ... If you want to keep your Exclusive Farm Zone tax status .....  Christmas Trees.   Llamas are popular with city people that move out to the country.  Obviously, a big mistake.  ; )   Any Newbies reading this thread ....  the nugget of gold in all this is the tax efficiency of Henry Clark !

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 292 posts · 233 votes
    2y
    Instant gratification is absolutely the crux of (Western) society. Fast solutions have slow problems.

    Delayed gratification needs to be something instilled in the younger generation early on.

     Totally agree. But it's never that easy.  You can talk to kids, teenagers, 20 year olds over and over, but at least for ME and many folks I know, it's not the same until your have real Skin in the Game.  

    That's for RE, Stock market, budgeting money, relationships, etc. etc. 

    I've learned from teaching public school that  WHO you spend your time with & family impressions are 90% + drivers for what viewpoints your have and how seriously you take your actions. 

    Will people learn?  Ehhh  you can bring a horse to water...

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James De Stefano:
    Instant gratification is absolutely the crux of (Western) society. Fast solutions have slow problems.

    Delayed gratification needs to be something instilled in the younger generation early on.

     Totally agree. But it's never that easy.  You can talk to kids, teenagers, 20 year olds over and over, but at least for ME and many folks I know, it's not the same until your have real Skin in the Game.  

    That's for RE, Stock market, budgeting money, relationships, etc. etc. 

    I've learned from teaching public school that  WHO you spend your time with & family impressions are 90% + drivers for what viewpoints your have and how seriously you take your actions. 

    Will people learn?  Ehhh  you can bring a horse to water...


     People will learn through (bad) experiences. That's always the case, they will ignore and believe otherwise until they are burned themselves. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Christie Gahan:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    Was out discing ground up this afternoon to plant oats tomorrow.  Keeps our taxes as Agriculture versus commercial.  I’ll

     have to do a post asking what you would plant to keep your zoning.  

    Isn't there an APP for that?


    There is no app, but I have built a wonderful community of investors that is life altering. This community is the greatest ever. We will talk about what to plant to keep your zoning, as this is such a hot topic coming into the next five years and the number of deals that will be out there for this will be off the charts. We have coordinators in house to who can handle the entire transaction and setup a LLC for $5k through a company affiliation, then multi layer it 75 times because we want you to protect the assets you have which include the $5k credit card debt and the $17 in cash you have in your bank account.

    If this sounds like something you want, because you know you cannot live without this, then send me $5k to sign up..

     Chris, Gonna need an affiliate code for that!  And, the answer is Buckwheat.  I'm laughing at this post, because I met a young man last night that is gonna plant my back half acre in buckwheat for me.  ( Sorry, Henry Clark....but half acre is the best I can do.)  No tax benefits but saving me time and money by not having to mow, fertilize, water ... If you want to keep your Exclusive Farm Zone tax status .....  Christmas Trees.   Llamas are popular with city people that move out to the country.  Obviously, a big mistake.  ; )   Any Newbies reading this thread ....  the nugget of gold in all this is the tax efficiency of Henry Clark !

    Tomatoes.  They'll grow almost anywhere, and almost impossible to get rid of once they get started.  They're like rabbits.
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    And I can tell you from years of personal experience......bad experiences are the best and quickest teacher :-)
  • Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    So many wannabe investors want the easy, quick route. They want it handed to them on a silver platter with not effort on their part to research and investigate investing strategies. When someone wants to "pick my brain", I recommend that great steak restaurant and let them know my wife / business partner will be with me and that we appreciate them offering to pick up the tab. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Guy Gimenez:

    So many wannabe investors want the easy, quick route. They want it handed to them on a silver platter with not effort on their part to research and investigate investing strategies. When someone wants to "pick my brain", I recommend that great steak restaurant and let them know my wife / business partner will be with me and that we appreciate them offering to pick up the tab. 


    I did the hey can I meet and buy you lunch in exchange to for some consultations etc.. I went to about 7 or 8 of them and while the folks were nice and polite I could just see when the check came for lunch I just picked it up each time and none argued with me to pay.. I just felt even buying me lunch was something they were just not accustomed to..  The exception was a lawyer that wanted to discuss How I handled redemption rights in Oregon as with the crash our foreclosure sales went from 95% trustee sales with no redemption rights and flipped to 95% sheriff sales with redemption rights and it was uncharted territory for many and not that i was a expert but i had taken a few through.. I made him pay !!!  :)  However I stopped accepting those invitations altogether.
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:

    For the last 15 years I have been answering questions from unknowledgeable wanna be investors who watched a guru on YouTube and now wants to know where to get the earnest money to tie up multi million dollar properties before he can flip them for $200,000 profits.  After I provide a true, unbiased reasonable response more likely than not I’m “attacked” for (1) being a “hater”. (2) having “it in” for wholesalers or subject to buyers or lease option advocates or land flippers, or….. (3) not “understanding” the strategy or tactic in question (4) being out of touch with the way real estate works today.  So, to separate the rare newbie who is willing to do the real work at educating himself on what really is necessary for success from the people who want to take what they perceive is the guru/mentor shortcut (or the “cheap” version in which instead of buying the program you hang around the edges seeking “free” information from those who have paid for those program) I will not answer specifically as to why the program they’re suggesting won’t work or is too risky or borders on illegal.  Instead I will offer a simple suggestion.  Read and study 

    Principles of Real Estate Practice: 6th Edition

    by Stephen Mettling (Author), David Cusic (Author

    Or a similar text.  IF you do I will be happy to answer any or all questions you may have.  But if the newbie won’t put the effort in to learn (1) the principles of real estate (2) real estate law and basic real estate finance I won’t make the effort to share the benefit of my knowledge and experience. 


     Don

    Answer questions like "what state should I invest in" or "what do I do with a tenant not paying" or my favorite "how do I transfer my home into a llc" which literally has been asked more times than a school bus of 10,000 kids on a trip asking "are we there yet".

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Don Konipol:

    For the last 15 years I have been answering questions from unknowledgeable wanna be investors who watched a guru on YouTube and now wants to know where to get the earnest money to tie up multi million dollar properties before he can flip them for $200,000 profits.  After I provide a true, unbiased reasonable response more likely than not I’m “attacked” for (1) being a “hater”. (2) having “it in” for wholesalers or subject to buyers or lease option advocates or land flippers, or….. (3) not “understanding” the strategy or tactic in question (4) being out of touch with the way real estate works today.  So, to separate the rare newbie who is willing to do the real work at educating himself on what really is necessary for success from the people who want to take what they perceive is the guru/mentor shortcut (or the “cheap” version in which instead of buying the program you hang around the edges seeking “free” information from those who have paid for those program) I will not answer specifically as to why the program they’re suggesting won’t work or is too risky or borders on illegal.  Instead I will offer a simple suggestion.  Read and study 

    Principles of Real Estate Practice: 6th Edition

    by Stephen Mettling (Author), David Cusic (Author

    Or a similar text.  IF you do I will be happy to answer any or all questions you may have.  But if the newbie won’t put the effort in to learn (1) the principles of real estate (2) real estate law and basic real estate finance I won’t make the effort to share the benefit of my knowledge and experience. 


     Don

    Answer questions like "what state should I invest in" or "what do I do with a tenant not paying" or my favorite "how do I transfer my home into a llc" which literally has been asked more times than a school bus of 10,000 kids on a trip asking "are we there yet".


     Ok, I wasn't going to do this, but what the heck?  Here are the top 10 repeated posts  on BP, showing the OP as too lazy to search, and too inexperienced to have a clue

    1. I want to whole sell to get capital.  What do I need to know?

    2. Where can I get a contract to use for ..............

    3. Has anyone had success with STR Arbitrage?

    4. I'm looking to make contacts with experienced investors to mentor me. 

    5. Anyone know of a title company in ...... that does double closings?

    6. I have a great deal. I'm going to finance it with an 80% first mortgage.  Where can I borrow the other 20%?

    7. Same as above but also need to borrow the earnest money.

    8. Can I sell the mortgage on the house I own for cash income to use to invest?

    9. Anyone heard of Infinity Banking?  I started with $20 last February and now own $62,000,000,000 in assets!

    10. I'm looking for $4,000,000 to convert a go kart tract into an assisted living center

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Don Konipol:

    For the last 15 years I have been answering questions from unknowledgeable wanna be investors who watched a guru on YouTube and now wants to know where to get the earnest money to tie up multi million dollar properties before he can flip them for $200,000 profits.  After I provide a true, unbiased reasonable response more likely than not I’m “attacked” for (1) being a “hater”. (2) having “it in” for wholesalers or subject to buyers or lease option advocates or land flippers, or….. (3) not “understanding” the strategy or tactic in question (4) being out of touch with the way real estate works today.  So, to separate the rare newbie who is willing to do the real work at educating himself on what really is necessary for success from the people who want to take what they perceive is the guru/mentor shortcut (or the “cheap” version in which instead of buying the program you hang around the edges seeking “free” information from those who have paid for those program) I will not answer specifically as to why the program they’re suggesting won’t work or is too risky or borders on illegal.  Instead I will offer a simple suggestion.  Read and study 

    Principles of Real Estate Practice: 6th Edition

    by Stephen Mettling (Author), David Cusic (Author

    Or a similar text.  IF you do I will be happy to answer any or all questions you may have.  But if the newbie won’t put the effort in to learn (1) the principles of real estate (2) real estate law and basic real estate finance I won’t make the effort to share the benefit of my knowledge and experience. 


     Don

    Answer questions like "what state should I invest in" or "what do I do with a tenant not paying" or my favorite "how do I transfer my home into a llc" which literally has been asked more times than a school bus of 10,000 kids on a trip asking "are we there yet".


     Ok, I wasn't going to do this, but what the heck?  Here are the top 10 repeated posts  on BP, showing the OP as too lazy to search, and too inexperienced to have a clue

    1. I want to whole sell to get capital.  What do I need to know?

    2. Where can I get a contract to use for ..............

    3. Has anyone had success with STR Arbitrage?

    4. I'm looking to make contacts with experienced investors to mentor me. 

    5. Anyone know of a title company in ...... that does double closings?

    6. I have a great deal. I'm going to finance it with an 80% first mortgage.  Where can I borrow the other 20%?

    7. Same as above but also need to borrow the earnest money.

    8. Can I sell the mortgage on the house I own for cash income to use to invest?

    9. Anyone heard of Infinity Banking?  I started with $20 last February and now own $62,000,000,000 in assets!

    10. I'm looking for $4,000,000 to convert a go kart tract into an assisted living center


     Those are great. I did want to offer you a position on my guru team now that you have some free time. I am starting a new creative finance course. I did a test run in Brazil and I believe it passed with flying colors. This is for everyone who has NO money, and you need ZERO money to get involved. All you need is unalive a living relative with a bank account and we can teach you how to make it happen. I want to grow the largest and greatest community ever where we have slumber parties together. Thats how close knit I want it. If you want to read my first case study and how it went, see below:

    Brazilian police detain woman suspected of taking a dead man to withdraw bank loan | CNN

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.