Any investors in Jacksonville Florida?

Any investors in Jacksonville Florida?

Member since 2024 · 179 posts · 76 votes

Hello,

Anyone who invests in Jacksonville Florida have experience with buying SFH's in the area that were built in the 1940's and 1950's? What are the main issues to look for when purchasing older homes in the Jax area?

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Fresno, CA · Member since 2008 · 76 posts · 30 votes
2y

It's a pretty broad question but I'll give my thoughts.  Disclaimer first, I am not a licensed contractor.  But I have bought and sold and helped others buy and sell many properties as well as managed many properties.  

Electrical - Hopefully the electrical has been updated.  Especially if you are looking at properties in the 40s or earlier.  I believe they stopped using knob and tube wiring sometime in the 40s.

Roof - Of course in that amount of years, most likely the roof has been replaced at least a couple times, but this is also a big ticket items to look closely at.

Plumbing - I think it was sometime in the 80s when PVC pipes were starting to be widely used.  A lot of those older houses have corroded cast iron or galvanized pipes.

Asbestos - This was use in many house products all the way back to the 30s.

Lead-based paint - This was used up until 1977.  You'll want to test the paint surfaces for lead.  The big box stores sell a kit for less than $20 bucks I think.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Fresno, CA · Member since 2008 · 76 posts · 30 votes
    2y

    It's a pretty broad question but I'll give my thoughts.  Disclaimer first, I am not a licensed contractor.  But I have bought and sold and helped others buy and sell many properties as well as managed many properties.  

    Electrical - Hopefully the electrical has been updated.  Especially if you are looking at properties in the 40s or earlier.  I believe they stopped using knob and tube wiring sometime in the 40s.

    Roof - Of course in that amount of years, most likely the roof has been replaced at least a couple times, but this is also a big ticket items to look closely at.

    Plumbing - I think it was sometime in the 80s when PVC pipes were starting to be widely used.  A lot of those older houses have corroded cast iron or galvanized pipes.

    Asbestos - This was use in many house products all the way back to the 30s.

    Lead-based paint - This was used up until 1977.  You'll want to test the paint surfaces for lead.  The big box stores sell a kit for less than $20 bucks I think.

    Hope this helps.  Good luck!

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    Connect with @Elenis Camargo. She and her husband, Isaac, run a property management company in Jax and have been helping landlords rent out SFH for years there. They will know anything you need to know.

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Hi marc! I am a local investor/contractor/ roofer here in jacksonville. Reach out with any questions! Thx :) -Mark

  • Property Manager · Northeast Florida · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 76 votes
    2y

    Everything Ken said plus 

    plaster walls, no insulation, higher electric bills, walls sweating when its humid in florida and the resident leaves front door open, damp smelly houses, Pealing paint, wood rot, old windows, crawl space under the home, bdrm and closet doors that don't close properly, electric locks that the old front door doesn't like as the door is not aligned correctly, Cyrstal knobs that fall off, old thermostats with 2 lines but my new thermostat needs 3 lines, critters in the fireplace.... OMG the list goes on. 

    I think the charm of an historic home out weights these issues... NOT but the cash flow is great if you find the right deal. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.