New Investor - looking for advice

New Investor - looking for advice

Member since 2024 · 12 posts · 14 votes

First of all, allow me to say that BP is amazing! I am really surprised how many people are willing to share their wisdom and knowledge! Thank you all for that!

My husband and I are new investors. We have been thinking about this for a long time, but finally decided to pull the trigger. My BIG dream is to build a portfolio big enough so that we can replace our current income and retire comfortably (dream big they say, right ;)?) I am hoping for cash flow, equity, appreciation and tax benefits. Is it really possible with current prices and mortgage rates?

I have been doing research on BP and other places for a couple of months now and decided that buy and hold long-term rental BRRRR strategy will be best for us. I am open to other ideas, except house-hacking, which we would rather not do. Is BRRRR a good decision?

We live in South Florida, which is not the best area to implement this strategy, therefore I am considering out-of-state investing. I am torn between 3 locations: Jacksonville, FL (it's still FL and a drive/quick flight away), Baltimore, MD (we used to live in MD and it's familiar), Midwest: Columbus, Detroit, ??? (I have no clue, have never been there, but everyone is raving about it nowadays :)). Did I miss any other great areas to invest in?

Any advice will be highly appreciated :) Also would love to hear opinions on where newbies invest successfully nowadays and what strategies do they use?

6Reply
127 views

Most Popular Reply

Nicholas L.Pro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
2y

@Account Closed

welcome.  a few reactions.  and questions.

-are you going to meetups?  go to all the meetups.  find them and go to them.  alternate with your husband or go together.  go to the local ones.  go to ones an hour or two away.  go to the pitch-y ones and don't buy anything.

-can you house hack?  not everyone can, or wants to.  but it's a great way to get started.  a variation is a live in flip.  have you considered either of these?

-BRRRR is great. it's also really, really, tough. As @Russell Brazil mentioned: it takes cash!  and: it's not a cash flow strategy right now.  it's an equity strategy.  if you do it right you'll get all your cash back... and no cash flow.  rates are too high.

 -i'd start local.  there is no substitute for being hands-on.  go an hour or two out if your immediate market is too expensive.  sounds like you might be able to be hands on in Jacksonville.  great.  explore there.

hope this helps  

See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Of course!  Shoot me a DM and I can explain my process and targeting.  

  • Member since 2024 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    Hi Arina, it is absolutely still positlble to invest in the current market, you just have to work harder to do your reach. I have found 2 duplexes in oregon that would generate $100-$200 cash flow per month, I know it is not a lot, but it is still better than nothing:)

  • Investor · Smyrna, DE · Member since 2024 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    I think re framing your questions will help you find your answers.

    Instead of asking Is it really possible with current prices and mortgage rates?  Ask: HOW is it possible with current prices and mortgage rates?

    There's always going to be something to get hung up on.  Real estate investing has a lot of very complicated moving parts.  Instead of letting it stop you, figure out a way to get over and around them.  If prices and mortgage rates are up, it's going to take an awesome deal to cash flow.  How will you get an awesome deal?  You can make an action plan for that.  But sitting around wondering if it's possible won't get you anywhere.

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    How much is a high amount?


    There are plenty of lenders who will finance all or part of your BRRRR projects if the numbers work. You're likely looking at a hard money lender or private lender, but they do exist and some will finance not only the initial purchase but the rehab as well. You probably need to have some of your own money both for a down payment and also for reserves, but you should not have to finance the whole thing out of pocket.

  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Hi Seniors,

    I am a non-U.S. citizen living in Pakistan and I want to invest in multi-family or single-family units in the United States. However, in our religion, interest is not allowed. Could you please advise if there are any alternatives or if Islamic financing options are available in the U.S. for this type of investment?

    Thanks 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    In my opinion, I would not take the advice you received regarding using OPM is you have no experience in investing in real estate.

    I would also not look to be a private lender for several reasons
    1) You are better off putting your money with a corporate bond / CD and get 5-6% with little risk compared to 10% to 12% with much more risk given today's market conditions
    2) You won't be able to retire getting interest income, which you said is your goal. Lending is better when you already established your equity.
    3) unfavorable tax treatment compared to rental income

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    My advice - buy one LTR in Jacksonville, FL and Columbus, OH and then determine which market you like better and put all your effort on that market.

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    First of all, allow me to say that BP is amazing! I am really surprised how many people are willing to share their wisdom and knowledge! Thank you all for that!

    My husband and I are new investors. We have been thinking about this for a long time, but finally decided to pull the trigger. My BIG dream is to build a portfolio big enough so that we can replace our current income and retire comfortably (dream big they say, right ;)?) I am hoping for cash flow, equity, appreciation and tax benefits. Is it really possible with current prices and mortgage rates?

    I have been doing research on BP and other places for a couple of months now and decided that buy and hold long-term rental BRRRR strategy will be best for us. I am open to other ideas, except house-hacking, which we would rather not do. Is BRRRR a good decision?

    We live in South Florida, which is not the best area to implement this strategy, therefore I am considering out-of-state investing. I am torn between 3 locations: Jacksonville, FL (it's still FL and a drive/quick flight away), Baltimore, MD (we used to live in MD and it's familiar), Midwest: Columbus, Detroit, ??? (I have no clue, have never been there, but everyone is raving about it nowadays :)). Did I miss any other great areas to invest in?

    Any advice will be highly appreciated :) Also would love to hear opinions on where newbies invest successfully nowadays and what strategies do they use?


    Hey Arina! I have had experience with my clients doing BRRRR and, especially out of state, is much more than they can chew. It looks great on paper, but you may realize it is better for you to do something like an LTR. From what I have witnessed, much less headache, risk, etc.

    So seeing as you are looking for cash flow, I am going to recommend you do something, most people don't think about or say much because, "it doesn't make sense". I would recommend investing in a property, that is in a GREAT/PROMISING area. Even if that means breaking even on average. This means for the first year or 2, you may not see much of a return. Then you realize your equity has gone up, and so can your rent. Much more compared to other areas. 

    Cincinnati/Northern Ky has both sides to this coin, but I am taking, in my eyes, the more promising way, and smarter way, to invest in better areas that don't look great at the start but go up. Let me know if you have questions or Cincinnati may be a place for you to look

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Saad Aslam:

    Hi Seniors,

    I am a non-U.S. citizen living in Pakistan and I want to invest in multi-family or single-family units in the United States. However, in our religion, interest is not allowed. Could you please advise if there are any alternatives or if Islamic financing options are available in the U.S. for this type of investment?

    Thanks 


  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    If you execute the BRRRR strategy in B and C class neighborhoods in Detroit, Memphis, and Cleveland, you're looking at around a 100k purchase price, 20k renovation, and 10k profit. All you need up front is the renovation price and the 10% of the 80k loan you take out.

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2022 · 154 posts · 223 votes
    2y

    @Account Closed

    I've had a lot of success in Southwest Florida, which could be an option for you. But don't sleep on Central Florida in areas like Polk County either. I have contacts in both areas if you are interested. Ground up new construction, built in equity and good for long term rentals. PM me if I can help.

  • Member since 2024 · 12 posts · 14 votes
    2y

    @Nikolai Grin Wow I do not think you can do any rehab with 20k.

  • Member since 2024 · 12 posts · 14 votes
    2y

    @Bernard Joseph S. I believe with new builds you can't really get any equity like you do with BRRRR, also will need lots of money down to get some cash flow and I bet the prices are high. But I am open to any ideas if the numbers work. Please share the contacts, thank you!

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    2y

    @Account Closed

    3 New ground up builds in the last year.  After all expenses and loans over 2K a month in cash flow.  Land acquired and getting ready to start another is a few months.  Find a partner to fund the project, find a contractor, work out terms that are favorable for all parties, bring something special to the table and get higher rents because the property is nice an shiny. 

    Of course that not everything to it, but its the meat and potatoes of the plan.

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    First of all, allow me to say that BP is amazing! I am really surprised how many people are willing to share their wisdom and knowledge! Thank you all for that!

    My husband and I are new investors. We have been thinking about this for a long time, but finally decided to pull the trigger. My BIG dream is to build a portfolio big enough so that we can replace our current income and retire comfortably (dream big they say, right ;)?) I am hoping for cash flow, equity, appreciation and tax benefits. Is it really possible with current prices and mortgage rates?

    I have been doing research on BP and other places for a couple of months now and decided that buy and hold long-term rental BRRRR strategy will be best for us. I am open to other ideas, except house-hacking, which we would rather not do. Is BRRRR a good decision?

    We live in South Florida, which is not the best area to implement this strategy, therefore I am considering out-of-state investing. I am torn between 3 locations: Jacksonville, FL (it's still FL and a drive/quick flight away), Baltimore, MD (we used to live in MD and it's familiar), Midwest: Columbus, Detroit, ??? (I have no clue, have never been there, but everyone is raving about it nowadays :)). Did I miss any other great areas to invest in?

    Any advice will be highly appreciated :) Also would love to hear opinions on where newbies invest successfully nowadays and what strategies do they use?

    I moved to Columbus a few years ago (from Portland, Oregon which was super expensive) to become a full time real estate investor, and ever since, I've completed quite a lot of BRRRRs, flips, and own a successful rental portfolio here in Columbus Ohio. I like Columbus Ohio because I see it being one of the biggest metropolitan cities in the next 10-20 years, all signs are pointing here! Population is growing aggressively and jobs are moving here especially with major employers like Intel, Google, Amazon, Nationwide, etc. On top of that, you have one of the biggest and best universities in the world here with Ohio State University. The cost of living is extremely low compared to other cities and you can still many many positive cash flowing and 1% deals here. On top of that, you get great appreciation and very landlord friendly laws. Tons of investors are buying Columbus up! As an investor and agent here, let me know if you have any questions or want to connect

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    @Account Closed

    3 New ground up builds in the last year.  After all expenses and loans over 2K a month in cash flow.  Land acquired and getting ready to start another is a few months.  Find a partner to fund the project, find a contractor, work out terms that are favorable for all parties, bring something special to the table and get higher rents because the property is nice an shiny. 

    Of course that not everything to it, but its the meat and potatoes of the plan.


     let's see the numbers 

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    2y

    @Robert Ellis

    Here are the basic numbers

    Buy Land $53K Cash  2022

    Investor partner 1 Cash Build $435K, Tenants placed, Appraisal $560K Early 2023

    Builds 2 and 3 Builder funded including land. $511K Each. 

    Build  2 CO Sept 2023

    Build 3 CO  Nov 2023

    Apprised at $535K. Late 2023 

    Tenants placed Oct/Nov/Dec 2023

    Portfolio  6.95% loan/cash our refi 400K from first build,  apply  200K to each of the next two builds, 70K  cash from investor partner 2.  Dec 2023

    Build 1 PITI $2990 Rents $4100. Duplex 3/2 2 Car with EV chargers

    Build 2 PITI $2675 Rents $3700. Duplex 3/2 1 Car

    Build 3 PITI $ 2675 Rents $3700. Duplex 3/2 1 Car

    All fulling fenced in, No carpet and we allow large dogs with Tenant Liability insurnace 

    I Keep 8% management fee, all remaining funds go into start next build. No investor cash payback

    Next build I will infuse about 50K cash working on construction loan.  Working with builder now on features, finishes and pricing.  Hoping to be right around $450K for build, land was $47K

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    @Robert Ellis

    Here are the basic numbers

    Buy Land $53K Cash  2022

    Investor partner 1 Cash Build $435K, Tenants placed, Appraisal $560K Early 2023

    Builds 2 and 3 Builder funded including land. $511K Each. 

    Build  2 CO Sept 2023

    Build 3 CO  Nov 2023

    Apprised at $535K. Late 2023 

    Tenants placed Oct/Nov/Dec 2023

    Portfolio  6.95% loan/cash our refi 400K from first build,  apply  200K to each of the next two builds, 70K  cash from investor partner 2.  Dec 2023

    Build 1 PITI $2990 Rents $4100. Duplex 3/2 2 Car with EV chargers

    Build 2 PITI $2675 Rents $3700. Duplex 3/2 1 Car

    Build 3 PITI $ 2675 Rents $3700. Duplex 3/2 1 Car

    All fulling fenced in, No carpet and we allow large dogs with Tenant Liability insurnace 

    I Keep 8% management fee, all remaining funds go into start next build. No investor cash payback

    Next build I will infuse about 50K cash working on construction loan.  Working with builder now on features, finishes and pricing.  Hoping to be right around $450K for build, land was $47K


     builder funded means? 

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    2y

    @Robert Ellis

    The builder used their line of credit to fund build. 

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    @Robert Ellis

    The builder used their line of credit to fund build. 


     wow that's generous 

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    2y

    @Robert Ellis  

    It wasn't free but it benefited everyone to structure the deal that way.

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    @Robert Ellis  

    It wasn't free but it benefited everyone to structure the deal that way.


     carrying all that on their balance sheet is very nice. sounds like it worked out. keep that relationships that's hard to find. 

  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 887 votes
    2y

    Memphis holds a lot of Great investment opportunities. I'd love to be your contact for anything REI related.

  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 887 votes
    2y

    Memphis has a strong rental market, partly due to its significant population of renters. High rental demand can result in attractive rental yields, providing steady cash flow for investors. 

  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 887 votes
    2y

    The city's population has been steadily growing, driven by its economic opportunities and relatively low cost of living. Population growth typically correlates with increased demand for housing. I'd love to be your contact for anything REI related.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.