Section 8 - My Experience Two Years In

Section 8 - My Experience Two Years In

Rental Property Investor · Elmira NY · Member since 2023 · 143 posts · 143 votes

I started my real estate journey 2 years ago and bought my first duplex fully rented. One unit ended up being a Section 8 tenant so I started Section 8 from my first day. This tenant has since had another child and moved to a different larger unit of mine and is still one of my favorite tenants.

I now have 11 (soon to be 13) doors and 7 of those are now Section 8 tenants. As I get vacancies I try my hardest to fill those spots with only Section 8 tenants if I can. I do get a lot of “push back” from both real estate and non real estate people on it due to the negative (sometimes earned) connotation that comes with it.

If you made it this far congrats. I do have a lot of people who have started asking questions so I figured I would give the good and the bad from my experience over the last two years so others can make their own decision.

The Good

 - Guaranteed rent payments which is great. 5 of my 7 Section 8 tenants only pay $50 a month for their portion of rent. The government auto deposits the rest of the rent directly into my account the first of every month.

 - The “inspection” if you can even call it that, is set so low its laughable. A smoke detector in every bedroom and a smoke detector and carbon monitor in hallway of every floor and in the basement or attic IF you have furnace, hot water heater etc in them. ONE window that will stay up on its own in each room, no holes in flooring (oddly strict on this one, even a dime size tear in a floor is considered a tripping hazard) a light in every bedroom and enough room for a twin bed and a dresser. An Oven and a fridge in the kitchen. A Living room. Running water and Heat. Thats it

 - The tenants (rumor has it) that they stay for 10 - 20 years on minimum. I am obviously only two years in but so far all of my tenants have already signed their 2nd year lease. I have two Section 8 tenants who are moving in in the next month that have lived in their current places for over 10 years and are only both moving because the owner of their duplex got arrested and a life sentence. So they have to move. They will both most likely live in my units for a very long time.

- The yearly rent increase is very easy. Two months out from end of the yearly lease I reach out to the tenants Rep and tell them what I think the lease should be moved up to (go off FMR) and they approve or deny (always approve so far because I am realistic) an automatically increase it at the one year mark.

 - Yearly inspection!!! This one is not important or good if you don’t take care of your properties but I update all of my units AND want my tenants to take car of the unit so a yearly inspection with the Sec 8 Inspection is great for me. Get to get in, make sure its clean, everything is in good order, change out filters and such to make sure its done properly and also make sure nothing is broken.

 - If you are a good landlord you are helping those who are normally looked down upon and normally have to deal with bad landlords just to have a roof over their head.

 -Section 8 paid security deposit. This is great, just fill out one page and the government pays their full security deposit. Though it can take months to get the actual check.

 - Section 8 signing bonus. This one might be case by case ( I believe it is ) but my county does a one months rent signing bonus for each new tenant moving into your unit. This is your money to do what you please with and does not get paid back to tenants at end of their lease. Like the security deposit this check can take months to get but hey, who’s complaining on free money.

The Bad

- There is no month to month in the first year. After that your lease can turn month to month (even while still getting a yearly rent increase). This doesn’t matter to me but I do know some landlords prefer month to month.

- Some tenants are to worried about you getting annoyed and kicking them out (and section 8 accepting landlords can be hard to find) so they might not want to bother you for small or big issues and that can hurt you later on when things are more expensive. The yearly inspection does help for this IF you pay attention. Luckily most my tenants are comfortable enough with us that they do let us know because we fix it fast and theres no repercussions.

- The utilities. This is both a good and a bad and really depends on your utility companies. In Upstate NY we are held hostage by our electric and gas company so you never know if you will get a $120 electric/gas bill or a $3,000 bill. I spend half my days reporting them to NY state for fraud.

- There are not a ton of repercussions. In theory if they don’t take care of your property and such they can get kicked out of the program. To me, I think this is probably fairly rare to actually get someone kicked out of the program. I have one tenant who snuck in a dog (I dont allow dogs) and has not paid their $50 portion in 5 months OR the $45 a month pet payment I added when they snuck the dog in. Section 8 does three letters. First letter saying I complained, second letter saying I complained, third letter saying I complained. Unknown what will happen after or if just more letters. So you have to decide should you just bite it for 3% of the monthly rent your not getting or fight it, kick them out and have to get another new tenant in.

 - The entitlement is sadly very real. The tenants know that the government is paying 97% of their rent and that you most likely wont kick them out over 3%. Which is true in my case. BUT when you go in to fix something that you see they have a brand new PS5, or a new phone, or a nicer car than you do etc. To me, I don’t mind this IF they pay their portion. But if they keep coming up with excuses every month on why they cant pay such a small amount yet spend money on all of this it does grade.

 - The Job turn over (this is my personal experience) I have found that my Section 8 tenants tend to change jobs MUCH more than my non Section 8 tenants. That means they usually go a month or two without a paycheck or use it as an excuse to not pay rent anyways.

 - Can be harder to get ahold of. This in my experience is across the board with tenants, specially those who aren’t paying their rent on time. However, my Section 8 tenants all have gone through multiple cell phone numbers in the last 2 years. I think all but one of them has had at least two numbers in the last two years. This is new to me because I have had the same cell phone number since 2004 so it just always stuck with me as I was shocked. This means you have to stop by and leave a note to “remind” them to reach out when they don’t answer your texts for a few weeks. Also so far emailing has also been a big issue.

 - It takes time. You have to sign the lease with the tenant (normally in person because of the email issue mentioned above) THEN you need to send to the Section 8 rep to do their part (this can take 1 to 30 days) and then they need to schedule the inspection ONCE all the paperwork is done. Now that I know all the reps in my county I can normally get this done in 2 - 3 weeks but its taken A LOT of personal relationships built up to feel like I can get it done that fast.

 - Can take time to get paid. My first six Section 8 tenants I did not get paid for first four months AFTER the tenant moved in, so I had to cover those carrying costs out of my pocket. On the forth month I did get the four months in one lump payment which felt great, but really was just refilling my account or paying off my credit card which was stressful. Same with if you get a singing bonus or a security deposit. It can take months before randomly the check just shows up in your mailbox. It just takes time. Once you get the kinks worked out though and the first direct deposit hits your account it shows up like clock work from there!

Things to Know

- Rent Increases are easy and simple because its FMR and right there on a website for everyone to see based off state and county. Don't get greedy and you will be fine

- Utilities v No Utilities - If you cover the utilities you will get the full FMR value. So if they say FMR is $1,550 a month for a 3 bedroom than you can ask for $1,550 a month. If you do NOT pay utilities and its the tenant responsibility than you would only be able to charge probably $1,300 - $1,350 a month for rent.

- The time it takes - See Above. Dealing with government agencies is not for the weak. I am a nice person but I do burn out on feeling like im being let down so it does sometimes take some patience (and space from your phone) so you don’t loose your cool because you do NOT want to make a bad name for yourself with the agency.

- Lease v HAP - This one took me a few turns and thankfully the Section 8 rep worked with me as I sounded like a complete idiot the first 2 - 3 leases. The lease is what you sign with the tenant. The HAP and related documents is from the state and very specific. Not to confusing but the first few times is rough.

- Grew up, stay on - All of my tenants who are on Section 8 grew up on Section 8. Their parents had it, they got it when they turned 18, their kids grow up on it and so far I have seen a few of their kids also get it when they turn 18. I like my tenants and they are mostly all very respectful so I love to keep housing them but it does seem rare to ever get off the program.

- Kid Count - A lot of tenants don’t even understand how this works, and it changes somewhat often. I had one tenant who had a 1 bedroom voucher that I inherited when buying a property and she had a 17 year daughter move in with her after she got her voucher and all it took was a simple paperwork form and she got moved to a 2 bedroom voucher and moved to a two bedroom unit of mine. I got to keep a great tenant, I got more money a month and her portion didn’t change a bit. Also (and this is a change in the last year) if they have children of different genders than the government will give them a bigger bedroom count. My first tenant had a 2nd child and her first child was a boy and second child was a girl. So she went from a 2 bedroom voucher to a 3 bedroom voucher. Also I believe if there is a big age difference than they can also get more bedroom count vouchers.

- 6 and under - This one goes along with the inspection but is only if you have a child under 6. If you have flaking paint its a big no no. This is anywhere, so I had one house that was a 2 story property with no upper porch (aka no way to get to the roof of the house) where one peak of the property trim was flaking that you could see from the ground. I had gutted the inside of the house and painted the exterior but honestly was not going to scrape and repaint the peak of the house because no one can reach it and I figured I would get to it in a few years when had more money. However, the Section 8 tenant I was moving in had a 4 year old and they flagged it and I ended up having to scrape and paint it to get approved for them to move in. Even though the kids couldn’t haven’t reached this peak unless they grew wings.

- Treat with Respect - These tenants need a helping hand and they should be treated with respect. I treat my tenants all the same and I fix things just as fast in my Section 8 properties as I do in my none Section 8 properties. I also leave a gift for every new tenant of mine, on the program or not. Its not a ton but its what I am always missing when I move. I go to Sams and buy a big pack of toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, paper plates and a $50 gift card to the local pizza place with a nice welcome card. I think it helps them feel at home, less stressed and most importantly that its their home, in hopes they will treat it with respect and save me hassle later on.

***** Side Note - When I say I in this monster of a post I definitely mostly mean my property manager. I deal with all the paperwork and the negative side like chasing unpaid rent and such but my property manager is amazing and deals with the day to day inspections, fixes, tours and most the communication.

Would love to hear others good and bad experiences so that new landlords or landlord who might be on the fence about Section 8 can make their own opinions. I wish I had had more information when I first started so I didn’t have to learn from scratch but so many of the gurus charge an arm and a leg I have always planned on being upfront about my experiences so others can maybe get a leg up.

40Reply
252 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
1y

That is an excellent post.

I would like to point out a couple things. First, you are making a mistake keeping the tenant who violated your no-pet policy and hasn't paid their share of the rent ($50 a month). I can assure you, this will cost you more money before it's over. Second, I think you are still looking at this experience through rose-colored glasses. Things have gone pretty well for two years, but it's only two years. I've had Section 8 tenants that were great for 3-4 years before trashing the place, stealing appliances, not paying rent, and eventually abandoning the property with over $10,000 in damages.

On a personal note, it chaps my hide that we have people in society that live off the backs of taxpayers for decades. I am willing to be dollars to donuts that most of your Section 8 tenants are able-bodied humans intelligent enough to get a job and pay their way through life, but they somehow manage to milk the system. They eventually get a sense of entitlement. This could manifest itself in additional damages and financial losses when they decide they don't want to put up with you any more.

Also, Section 8 does require more work setting up, renewing, increasing rent, etc. On top of that, the tenants are lower-quality, so it takes more work to maintain communication, enforce the lease, etc.

In my experience, the additional work and eventual losses erase any benefits of Section 8. I'm glad it's working out for you now, and I hope it continues into the future. I'm skeptical.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    Thank You for being so kind and are willing to help others in need. Yes, there are some people who can work and do live off of the government. But there are also people who, need this kind of help and want to move on to something better. 

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:
    Quote from @Jamie O'Connell:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    Glad to hear you are doing well with this. I have a vast degree of experience in section 8 rentals myself. Its great to hear positive experiences because most dont seem to have them. Like you, I have had positive outcomes. It honestly depends on the landlord and their abilities for the most part. Many fail to understand screening, managing, understanding the culture and treating people with dignity.  You are doing things right and I can tell from how you present yourself you somewhat understand and respect the environment. Congratulations and keep up the great work because you are providing a wonderful service and positive experiences to the community that typically has negative experiences in housing oh too often.   


     Thank you! Yes I think that is why the Section 8 people always seem to be happy when I have a new property available because the amount of tenants I have had to take because slum lords dont take care of their property has been staggering. I wont say I go above and beyond on fixing up the places and making them jaw dropping beautiful, I still do them up enough to where I would be comfortable living there. I think that is a big thing that a lot of people dont understand. 

     Seems like you have learned certain concepts that work but tend to escape even the most experienced landlords. For you to be in the game 2 years Im impressed and see you are headed to much bigger things. Your approach of fixing them up nice enough is one of several things some dont seem to comprehend. The best thing you can have is good section 8 tenants who respect and take care of your place. Treating them with respect and providing a good experience  keeps them there for a very long time; pushing your cash flow  and building your equity. The notion that slumlords believe their tenants will positively be receptive to living in sub-substandard sht holes while being treated with disrespect escapes me.  Either way its so refreshing to hear this work for others in this forum as opposed to people saying they are savages and need to be treated like animals. Back when I first joined BP, I linked up with an experienced low income landlord. We toured his units and he was horrible to his tenants. Then he advised me that If I rent to so called "these people" I need to put in animal cages. Again, its so refreshing to see the genuine side of this coin. Congrats again! 


  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    "I have had to take because slum lords dont take care of their property has been staggering. I wont say I go above and beyond on fixing up the places and making them jaw dropping beautiful, I still do them up enough to where I would be comfortable living there. I think that is a big thing that a lot of people dont understand."


    I love seeing this as it is one of my biggest frustrations in the investment game.  Slum lords give good investors a bad name that we all have to deal with.  We have always had the philosophy that if we rehab our properties to a quality level, we will get higher rents, better tenants who take care of them, and we will improve the neighborhoods we invest in.  There are always the exceptions, but overall we have had success with this.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    I have sec 8 tenants and agree with a lot of what you say but bottom line sec 8 is awesome if your property is in a bad area where its hard to find tenants that pay otherwise, if its in a good are it is MUCH more profitible and less risk/headache to have market rate tenants. Just wait until a sec 8 tenant fails to recertify or loses voucher and you need to evict these people who have barely any money/credit to find another place. I also find WAY more wear and tear with he sec 8 families. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Elmira NY · Member since 2023 · 143 posts · 143 votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Hunt:

    "I have had to take because slum lords dont take care of their property has been staggering. I wont say I go above and beyond on fixing up the places and making them jaw dropping beautiful, I still do them up enough to where I would be comfortable living there. I think that is a big thing that a lot of people dont understand."


    I love seeing this as it is one of my biggest frustrations in the investment game.  Slum lords give good investors a bad name that we all have to deal with.  We have always had the philosophy that if we rehab our properties to a quality level, we will get higher rents, better tenants who take care of them, and we will improve the neighborhoods we invest in.  There are always the exceptions, but overall we have had success with this.


    Love it. Sadly what I have found is that the slum lords with the neglected properties get the same amount monthly as my nicer properties. However, I feel better about it and I hope that my tenants will take better care of them when they are there. Plus the FMR and Section 8 payment is way more than my carrying costs, spec since I buy multi families, so Its not like its decimating my monthly gross by taking care of some place. Plus it helps with appraisals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Elmira NY · Member since 2023 · 143 posts · 143 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Henry Lazerow:

    I have sec 8 tenants and agree with a lot of what you say but bottom line sec 8 is awesome if your property is in a bad area where its hard to find tenants that pay otherwise, if its in a good are it is MUCH more profitible and less risk/headache to have market rate tenants. Just wait until a sec 8 tenant gets fails to recertify or loses voucher and you need to evict these people who have barely any money/credit to find another place.


     Very very solid point. I have not had to experience someone losing their voucher before and im sure it will be a NIGHTMARE. I try not to focus to much on the what could happens because there are so many but so glad you said this because it wasnt even a thought in my mind and will be a big thing to deal with when (not if) it happens!

  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    Hi Jamie, very interesting post. 

    What states do you invest in and would you consider investing out of state?

  • Lagrangeville, NY · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 218 votes
    1y

    @Jamie O'Connell

    As a NY landlord, sec gangstas is all i accept these days.

  • Rental Property Investor · Elmira NY · Member since 2023 · 143 posts · 143 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Josh Allison:

    Hi Jamie, very interesting post. 

    What states do you invest in and would you consider investing out of state?

    I invest in pa and ny. I invest out of state. 
  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Craig Janet:

    What's the process to evict a tenant who doesn't pay their small portion or otherwise trashes the place. 


     When we purchased our multi family property we had a issue with one of the C-section 8 tenants. She paid on time every time but caused problems with others around her. We started doing bi annual inspections of the properties asking with 6 month leases so we could go in and keep an eye on our property. 6 month lease don't work for section 8 but we were able to inspect. Anyway when the problem tenant's lease was coming to the end, we contacted section 8 office and they were very helpful. We were able to tell the individual that we were not renewing her lease because we needed to rehab the unit. She moved out because she didn't want to lose her section 8 good standing. She didn't want to move but did. I believe if they cause trouble they can lose the assistance. Not sure they can qualify easily again. P

  • NM · Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    This was a wonderful post. I have always wondered about section 8 housing. My mother was on it when I was a child but has been out of the program before I was a teen. People like my mother is why I considered looking into it. Respectful (most) people who just need a little help getting on their feet.

    This post gave me a good starting point to do research into the program and how to set up housing with them.

    Thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Elmira NY · Member since 2023 · 143 posts · 143 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Renee C.:

    This was a wonderful post. I have always wondered about section 8 housing. My mother was on it when I was a child but has been out of the program before I was a teen. People like my mother is why I considered looking into it. Respectful (most) people who just need a little help getting on their feet.

    This post gave me a good starting point to do research into the program and how to set up housing with them.

    Thank you!


     Love to hear of someone who used it as intended. It truly has some great people on it and id love to see more people start to accept vouchers! Make sure you find some people in your local area who have done it as each areas Sec 8 team is different. Some like mine are easy to work with but some are just awful and it's important to take that into consideration! 

  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    I see you posted your Section 8 Properties in the PA and NY area.  I live in Los Angeles, and I am looking into this possibility, anyone here have experience in the Los Angeles area with Section 8? 

  • Investor · Willis, TX · Member since 2014 · 245 posts · 124 votes
    1y

    I've always wondered about Section 8. Not sure it's for me but from what you've posted, it really doesn't seem so bad. Thank you for shedding a ton of light on it for me. 

  • Sherry McQuageBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Moore County, NC · Member since 2020 · 168 posts · 141 votes
    1y

    Thank you for sharing the good and bad of S8.  When I get some local investment properties, I am thinking of offering to S8.  Good information!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    1y

    @Jamie O'Connell

    I grew up in Horseheads. I can see how you're making it work your way in Elmira. I suspect in a more urban area, with a lot more entrenched and generational poverty, things would be a bit different. But good luck on the Chemung County Section 8 Express as long as you can ride it.

  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Love this thread…so many different perspectives.

  • Rental Property Investor · Elmira NY · Member since 2023 · 143 posts · 143 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Alanne Lott:

    Love this thread…so many different perspectives.

    The best way to be informed, hearing all sides! 
  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Hi Jamie, thank you for taking the time to share your story and your experiences. I also appreciated the opposing views from other experienced investors!

    As a new investor (newbie), I was thinking this would be a great place to start based on my expectation of low start-up costs, and by personal experience, I also understand the value of the section 8 program. My mother used the program after an unforeseen divorce, which left her penniless with 4 children. The place we rented was clean and well kept, and the only change we felt was the absence of our father, and change of residence. This enabled our mother to work towards a better paying job/profession in a dignified manner. In just under 2 years she got off of the program into a better paying job and situation. We are all better off for it. I share that personal story, not to throw shade on any who have had a bad experience with bad tenants on the program, because they do exist, but to shed light on how effective and life-changing it can be when the users leverage it as intended, and the landlord also gains by housing those types of tenants. I wish you all much success.

    Much Respect,

    Siela

  • Rental Property Investor · Elmira NY · Member since 2023 · 143 posts · 143 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tuitogama'atoe Falauea Siela:

    Hi Jamie, thank you for taking the time to share your story and your experiences. I also appreciated the opposing views from other experienced investors!

    As a new investor (newbie), I was thinking this would be a great place to start based on my expectation of low start-up costs, and by personal experience, I also understand the value of the section 8 program. My mother used the program after an unforeseen divorce, which left her penniless with 4 children. The place we rented was clean and well kept, and the only change we felt was the absence of our father, and change of residence. This enabled our mother to work towards a better paying job/profession in a dignified manner. In just under 2 years she got off of the program into a better paying job and situation. We are all better off for it. I share that personal story, not to throw shade on any who have had a bad experience with bad tenants on the program, because they do exist, but to shed light on how effective and life-changing it can be when the users leverage it as intended, and the landlord also gains by housing those types of tenants. I wish you all much success.

    Much Respect,

    Siela


     Love this! That is exactly how the program is supposed to be used! So far I dont think I have one tenant who is on track for doing so but I love hearing the success stories. It is 100% a great program to get into and I love everyone's different views but I have also signed 2 new section 8 tenants since I posted this so I am staying firm in my belief! 

    Jamie 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.