Off-market properties in Ohio

Off-market properties in Ohio

Member since 2022 · 1 post · 7 votes

Hi all, I'm looking for off-market properties in Ohio. Specifically in Akron, Geneva, What do you recommend is the right way. Been only working on MLS so far. But the rate and prices are too high. I'm looking for a local expert. I've talked to a few agents off of zillow but they tried to sell to me, instead of being on the buyer side.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

7Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

Hey Tyler, to find off-market deals, start by networking with local investors who may be looking to sell properties privately. Consider running direct mail campaigns targeting absentee owners or distressed properties in Akron, offering to buy directly. Joining local real estate investment groups can connect you with wholesalers who specialize in off-market deals. Also, work with an investor-friendly agent who understands your needs and can proactively find off-market opportunities for you. These strategies will help you uncover deals outside the MLS, especially in Akron where off-market opportunities can be more common.

Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Tyler Sheveas
    Try and find an agent on BP that works in Akron and finds off-market deals

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hey Tyler, to find off-market deals, start by networking with local investors who may be looking to sell properties privately. Consider running direct mail campaigns targeting absentee owners or distressed properties in Akron, offering to buy directly. Joining local real estate investment groups can connect you with wholesalers who specialize in off-market deals. Also, work with an investor-friendly agent who understands your needs and can proactively find off-market opportunities for you. These strategies will help you uncover deals outside the MLS, especially in Akron where off-market opportunities can be more common.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • Member since 2025 · 246 posts · 100 votes
    1y

    @Tyler Sheveas  Great initiative! Have you tried connecting with local wholesalers or investor meetups in Akron? They’re often the best source for true off-market deals.

  • Melissa JusticeBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 518 posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Tyler Sheveas,

    Hey Tyler - I'm very familiar with a heavy hitter that has off market props in the Akron & Canton, Ohio area. Our investors eat them up like hot cakes - really great performing properties to get in to at low entry price points that have been fully rehabbed, all major systems older than 10 years of age replaced and local PM company already in place. 

    Let me know if you want to chat more about them! 

    Best of luck,

    Melissa

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    1y

    Call, text, email, or send letters to landlords. Simply ask if the owner would be open to an offer on the property. Lots of work but it's the best way to get property under market value.

  • Samuel DioufBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hey Tyler, I find the best off-market deals through direct outreach. If you don't have time to do that, then I'd suggest connecting with investment focused agents, wholesalers, and other big investors who may have an excess in deal flow. 

    You can find investor-friendly agents here on BP by going to the "Real Estate Agent Finder" section. 

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tyler Sheveas:

    Hi all, I'm looking for off-market properties in Ohio. Specifically in Akron, Geneva, What do you recommend is the right way. Been only working on MLS so far. But the rate and prices are too high. I'm looking for a local expert. I've talked to a few agents off of zillow but they tried to sell to me, instead of being on the buyer side.

    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    Happy to connect you with some people in Akron/Geneva, i have some great realtors who have a lot of off-market/pocket listings there! Happy to send you there way!

  • Jack SmithPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Massillon, OH · Member since 2017 · 215 posts · 168 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tyler Sheveas:

    Hi all, I'm looking for off-market properties in Ohio. Specifically in Akron, Geneva, What do you recommend is the right way. Been only working on MLS so far. But the rate and prices are too high. I'm looking for a local expert. I've talked to a few agents off of zillow but they tried to sell to me, instead of being on the buyer side.

    Any advice is greatly appreciated.


     Hi Tyler, I'm starting to 'downsize' my portfolio and have a few left in Akron and more in Canton I'd part with.  Message me and I can send you more information.  

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hi Tyler, I totally hear you. I remember feeling the same way when I first started—just using the MLS and getting discouraged by the prices and lack of good deals. It can be tough, especially when the agents you talk to seem more focused on selling than actually helping you find what makes sense for you as a buyer.

    I’ve had way better luck since shifting toward off-market stuff—talking to wholesalers, local investors, even just reaching out to owners directly. It takes more effort upfront but you get access to deals that never hit Zillow.

    Happy to trade notes if you ever want to bounce ideas around. You're definitely not alone in feeling this way!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.