Done at 2?

Done at 2?

Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 3 votes

Who here is done with real estate investing at 2 properties? I remember Scott Mcgillivary said at a conference once that “everybody should have at least two properties”... i think this is a wise statement and I could do more; but I’m content in life! If the right deal comes my way and I feel so inclined I will change but I’m not going to bend over backwards for it.

3Reply
108 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9mo

It's always the quality that matters, not the quantity. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    It's always the quality that matters, not the quantity. 

  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 982 posts · 643 votes
    9mo

    Hi @Declan Kaster, Two well-performing properties can meaningfully improve quality of life without turning investing into a second job. Real estate doesn’t have to be about endless scaling, it’s about supporting the life you want. I turned my strategy around to completely passive group investments, and it’s helped me enjoy the life I want without having to worry about constant scaling.

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club580 Reviews
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    9mo

    There is no wrong choice for number of properties to own.  Two properties can be perfect for you.

    I personally enjoy the hunt for good RE purchases.   For me it is not much different than catching the trophy trout (I typically photograph and release).  I especially enjoy finding properties that can add value via a sophisticated value add.

    Good luck

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    This the long game.  I don't think there is a magic number for properties, nor income amount.  The income will vary from month to month and year to year.  Scale of economies is critical.  If you only have 2 properties and one has a tenant turnover, you will have costs for repairs and vacancy.  What if the other needs a roof or AC, you are underwater for the year.

    The goal is for there to be enough money coming in overall that if you have a bad year, the others will support it. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.