How Do You Stress-Test a Deal Before Committing to Funding?

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Inland Empire, CA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 79 votes
    9mo
    Model higher exit cap, slower rent growth, higher expenses, more economic loss, tighter debt, delayed CapEx.
  • Rental Property Investor · Palo Alto, CA · Member since 2026 · 42 posts · 22 votes
    5mo

    Hi Melinda,

    This is a really good question—because most deals don’t fail on the base-case numbers, they fail when a couple assumptions shift at the same time.

    When I stress test a deal, I usually focus less on precision and more on pressure points—things like:

    • higher vacancy than expected
    • rent coming in slightly below comps
    • higher operating / maintenance costs
    • tighter financing than assumed
    • delays or overruns on CapEx

    Basically trying to see where the deal starts to break, not just where it looks good.

    What I’ve found is that a lot of newer investors (and honestly even experienced ones) tend to anchor on a single / positive versions of the deal, instead of how quickly it degrades when assumptions move.

    I’ve just been using a simple system I put together to quickly run different scenarios so I’m not stuck looking at a single version of the deal.

    How do you stress-test a deal currently?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.