Has anyone heard of a map book pertaining to real estate ?

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 8 votes
12y

@Westin Hudnall 

 Usually you search for "county name state GIS"

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    Never heard of it.  Can you tell us what context it is used? Is it a product named Map Book?

  • Investor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    Are you talking about plat books?    Usually you can purchase these from your county offices.   However they are a lot less useful now that most counties publish their GIS data online.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    12y

    Plat books would be my guess.  Do counties even publish those anymore?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    I loved the good ole days with the big plat maps... I still have most of mine from the counties I used work just can't let them go.

  • Investor and Real Estate Agent · Maize, KS · Member since 2014 · 270 posts · 53 votes
    12y

    a foot soldier of mine left me a voicemail. I thought she said map book (maybe plat) . She went down to the Wichita Ks courthouse to ask about how to find foreclosures before they hit MLS and she was advised to pick up this book on Thurs that will have all foreclosure homes going to auction on Monday.

    Does this sound accurate ?

  • Investor and Real Estate Agent · Maize, KS · Member since 2014 · 270 posts · 53 votes
    12y

    @Steven Potter 

    How do I find this information online?

    @Ned Carey 

    Platt book is probably what I was referring to

  • Investor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Westin Hudnall 

     Usually you search for "county name state GIS"

  • Wichita, KS · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    She is talking about the tax forclosure sale that is coming up on the 15th here in Wichita. They do have a book you can buy that will have the plat maps showing an aerial view of the properties being auctioned off.

  • Investor and Real Estate Agent · Maize, KS · Member since 2014 · 270 posts · 53 votes
    12y

    @Jimmy Davis 

    Purchasing in this way is new to me . Have you ever done this ? Can you tell me a little more about it ?

    What are the positives and the negatives about purchasing in this way?

  • Wichita, KS · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    Yeah I've bought a property at the tax auction before. I suggest that you physically drive by every property and take pics and notes of every single property bc you never know that one you would normally pass on might go for $5k. Sometimes the properties are vacant and sometimes they're not. It seems like most of the time the properties you do want go for more than you want to spend. 

    But I also think sometimes a person could get lucky... If they know what they're doing. I would recommend buying the book and at least going to the auction. It's fun!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.