Anyone here investing in the Philippines?

Anyone here investing in the Philippines?

Dave VisayaPro Member
Moderator
Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes

I'd like to know any investors buying properties here in the Philippines or do you know anyone? Let me know!

BiggerPockets
0Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Hong Kong · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
7y

Yes I am - I am based in Hong Kong but myself and my wife have 10 units across 2 properties and we're renovating (well pretty much building) another 16 unit. All our properties are in Makati in Manila. We are actively looking to buy and rehab more as well.

I actively looking for a good property manager there at the moment so any recommendations are highly welcome...

Happy to connect too!

Thanks

Paul 

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Singapore, Singapore · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    I did and it did not go too well. But I'm looking to invest again and try to do things differently. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Hong Kong · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Yes I am - I am based in Hong Kong but myself and my wife have 10 units across 2 properties and we're renovating (well pretty much building) another 16 unit. All our properties are in Makati in Manila. We are actively looking to buy and rehab more as well.

    I actively looking for a good property manager there at the moment so any recommendations are highly welcome...

    Happy to connect too!

    Thanks

    Paul 

  • Specialist · Davao, Philippines · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    I'm doing my Investing in Davao City, Philippines. So far so good. Been looking for partners now to expand. 

    Great business it is. 

  • Singapore, Singapore · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Paul Gallagher:

    Yes I am - I am based in Hong Kong but myself and my wife have 10 units across 2 properties and we're renovating (well pretty much building) another 16 unit. All our properties are in Makati in Manila. We are actively looking to buy and rehab more as well.

    I actively looking for a good property manager there at the moment so any recommendations are highly welcome...

    Happy to connect too!

    Thanks

    Paul 

    Your 10 units are condominiums? Are you renting them out?

  • Rental Property Investor · Hong Kong · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    No not condominiums Ava. We are rehabbing house and lots areas. We believe there is much better values and returns in that market. 

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dave Visaya:

    I'd like to know any investors buying properties here in the Philippines or do you know anyone? Let me know!

    Hi, I am currently living in Malta, and would like to start my real estate business in Manila as it is my hometown. My goal this year is to buy 3-4 multifamily units in Manila that would generate at least 12% ROI.

    Is there anyone who has purchased property/ies in Manila for cash flow? If there is, can you share advice on which specific location is best for investing? For start up, Will it be best to buy condominiums in a Prime location or to buy multi-units in a city close to Prime location?

    Greatly appreciate your advices!

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Paul Gallagher:

    Yes I am - I am based in Hong Kong but myself and my wife have 10 units across 2 properties and we're renovating (well pretty much building) another 16 unit. All our properties are in Makati in Manila. We are actively looking to buy and rehab more as well.

    I actively looking for a good property manager there at the moment so any recommendations are highly welcome...

    Happy to connect too!

    Thanks

    Paul 

     Hi Paul, do you know any wholesaler in Manila so I can get deals from them? 

    Thanks and regards

    Karla

  • Rental Property Investor · Hong Kong · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Hi Karla, 

    Sorry to get back to you late. We dont know any wholesalers at the moment, but we are going to Manila for Easter weekend next week to meet brokers, sellers property agents and hopefully tie up another deal. I will definitely ask about wholesalers as we interested to see more potential opportunities. 

    Thanks

    Paul

  • Rental Property Investor · Hong Kong · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Ill keep you posted.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Ava G.

    What happened?

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Hey, I'm just wondering if it's possible that real estate analysis (the way we do it on Biggerpockets) can also be applied in Philippines, or any other market?  I don't know if there are something wrong with my calculations or there are just no deals that is making sense at the moment. LOL!

    How's your analysis currently?

  • Specialist · Davao, Philippines · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Yes, It's possible @Karla Barbacena but not for condominiums. Rental apartments and rehabs will do but you need to be in a pretty good location. There will be a criteria to generate good returns. The properties I handle get as much as 15-20% ROi. When buying I make sure my calculations get 2% ratio. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Manila, Metro Manila · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Karla Barbacena  seems the principles on this site can be applied but you'll have to adjust your strategies based on the local laws and market. for properties in Metro Manila, you might want to look into the secondary/ foreclosed market for properties as we've had better deals there for renting and/or flipping. if you can absorb the capex, rehabbing house and lots do have better returns as what @Paul Gallagher is also doing. 

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Hi guys, newbie here just stumbled on Bigger Pockets vids while browsing on minecraft videos on yt. Since i have laid my eyes on BRRR strategy, I've been dying to ask investors in PH if BRRRR works in Philippines? Because I can see myself doing it already, I have good credit, already have to properties in Palawan (but not generating any positive cashflow). I hope you can tell me guys about your experience investing in PH, any advice and tips is absolutely welcome!

    Have a great Evening guys!

  • Investor · Fairfield, CA · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 11 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Paul Gallagher:

    Yes I am - I am based in Hong Kong but myself and my wife have 10 units across 2 properties and we're renovating (well pretty much building) another 16 unit. All our properties are in Makati in Manila. We are actively looking to buy and rehab more as well.

    I actively looking for a good property manager there at the moment so any recommendations are highly welcome...

    Happy to connect too!

    Thanks

    Paul 

    Hi paul i hopefully plan to be doing what your doing someday. i grew up in Manila and plan to go back there to invest. i'm a newbie so my question is, which banks lend for mortgages there? And could you connect me to your realtors, i will surely do businesses with them. thanks for your time. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Manila, Metro Manila · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    you could access funding through most of the commercial banks such as BPI and BDO. best to compare rates to help you decide. 

  • Investor · Fairfield, CA · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 11 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Lope Encarnacion:

    you could access funding through most of the commercial banks such as BPI and BDO. best to compare rates to help you decide. 

     Thanks for the info. is it similar to America with the interest rates and 20% down payment or not?

     I'm interested in investing in Manila, do you have any realtors you can recommend, hope to do business with them

  • Real Estate Investor · Manila, Metro Manila · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Deryck C. home loan rates are relatively higher compared to US, down payment is the same at about 20%. some developers offer terms on the down payment as well. am a licensed realtor working for the real estate arm of a law firm, feel free to get in touch if you need anything.

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Lope Encarnacion:

    @Deryck C. home loan rates are relatively higher compared to US, down payment is the same at about 20%. some developers offer terms on the down payment as well. am a licensed realtor working for the real estate arm of a law firm, feel free to get in touch if you need anything.

     Hi Sir Lope,

    Newbie here.

    I just finished reading 3 books about real estate investing (2 books of Brandon Turner and brrrr Book by David Green). I want to start my career in REI using BRRRR strategy here in Metro Manila. Any advice for me.

    Thank you!

  • Real Estate Investor · Manila, Metro Manila · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    5y
  • Real Estate Investor · Manila, Metro Manila · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Albert Arcallana you might want to start looking at the secondary market to get better yields- check foreclosures at your local courthouse.

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thank you very much !

  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Dave Visaya I currently own a campground in Siquijor (STR side) and is planning to move to small apartment units in Dumaguete City.

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    Anyone here buying commercial lots? I get a lot of leads in Luzon but the buyers I work with have pretty strict criteria for their projects so most go to waste. I am a newbie to somewhat intermediate level wholesaler in the US and would love to apply the same principles in the Philippines since I'm currently staying here. 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hello! Can anyone please explain me the refinance part in BRRRR strategy. Correct me on this case analysis. For example, you have a first property worth USD 200K at ARV ("P1" for brevity). So, you get a first mortgage from P1 with 70% value: USD 140K ("M1" for brevity). So, you use this 140K for the refinance part of another property to cover the 20% downpayment ("P2" for brevity). This is the part where I get lost, guys. Nobody tells us the narrative for the 80% remaining balance of P2. Do we cover it with a second mortgage? Does the seller normally agree on that? If so, we now have M1 and M2?

    Please teach me. :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.