Anyone here investing in the Philippines?

Anyone here investing in the Philippines?

Dave VisayaPro Member
Moderator
Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes

I'd like to know any investors buying properties here in the Philippines or do you know anyone? Let me know!

BiggerPockets
0Reply
112 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Hong Kong · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
7y

Yes I am - I am based in Hong Kong but myself and my wife have 10 units across 2 properties and we're renovating (well pretty much building) another 16 unit. All our properties are in Makati in Manila. We are actively looking to buy and rehab more as well.

I actively looking for a good property manager there at the moment so any recommendations are highly welcome...

Happy to connect too!

Thanks

Paul 

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Good day!

    I am a real estate agent and I have tried using BRRRR strategy to analyse investment in my area here in the Philippines.

    Here is what I found. 

    The 3 factors that I believe affect the effectiveness of BRRRR strategy in this country ( or at least in my area) greatly, which makes it nearly impossible to find a good deal.

    1. High interest rate - PHL - Minimum 1 yr fixed rate is 5+% / US - 3+% for 30 yrs fixed !!! Big Difference !!!

          > MORTGAGE PAYMENT MUST INCREASE THE NEXT MONTH FROM 5+ TO 7% just to have tiny positive cash flow. It is hard to find paying tenants here. So, you are risking losing tenants to get a measly increase in Cashflow. 

    2. RENT must increase with the Mortgage accordingly. 1% rule rent does not apply here in the Philippines because you will have negative cash flow.

    3. the length of the Loan. -  it will greatly depend on the age of the Loanee.

    These are the problems I have encountered analyzing properties using this Strategy. Sadly, the brokers I know who invest in Real Estate here in my area do not recommend this method. they recommend Buy build Sell due to fast ROI. However, this 2nd strategy is much riskier because you need to find buyers in this kind of market.

    but for those who used the BRRRR strategy here in the Philippines and became successful. I hope you can share your stories.

    thank you

    thank you 

  • Real Estate Investor · Manila, Metro Manila · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    You might want to find distressed sellers in the secondary market. Better deals can be made if you're a cash buyer based on our experience.

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Khris Atienza:

    Good day!

    I am a real estate agent and I have tried using BRRRR strategy to analyse investment in my area here in the Philippines.

    Here is what I found. 

    The 3 factors that I believe affect the effectiveness of BRRRR strategy in this country ( or at least in my area) greatly, which makes it nearly impossible to find a good deal.

    1. High interest rate - PHL - Minimum 1 yr fixed rate is 5+% / US - 3+% for 30 yrs fixed !!! Big Difference !!!

          > MORTGAGE PAYMENT MUST INCREASE THE NEXT MONTH FROM 5+ TO 7% just to have tiny positive cash flow. It is hard to find paying tenants here. So, you are risking losing tenants to get a measly increase in Cashflow. 

    2. RENT must increase with the Mortgage accordingly. 1% rule rent does not apply here in the Philippines because you will have negative cash flow.

    3. the length of the Loan. -  it will greatly depend on the age of the Loanee.

    These are the problems I have encountered analyzing properties using this Strategy. Sadly, the brokers I know who invest in Real Estate here in my area do not recommend this method. they recommend Buy build Sell due to fast ROI. However, this 2nd strategy is much riskier because you need to find buyers in this kind of market.

    but for those who used the BRRRR strategy here in the Philippines and became successful. I hope you can share your stories.

    thank you

    thank you 

    its true what you stated i think BRRR is not applicable here in PH maybe if your DP is 50% or higher but that would be very capital intensive , build and sell is also feasible you need big capital and be willing to wait for at least 1.5 years or more 
  • Investor · Australia · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 30 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul Gallagher:

    Yes I am - I am based in Hong Kong but myself and my wife have 10 units across 2 properties and we're renovating (well pretty much building) another 16 unit. All our properties are in Makati in Manila. We are actively looking to buy and rehab more as well.

    I actively looking for a good property manager there at the moment so any recommendations are highly welcome...

    Happy to connect too!

    Thanks

    Paul 

    Hi @Paul Gallagher I'm just wondering how you pull this off and foreigners must owe 40% only. Or you build and a local owes the land? Thanks

  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    I am investing in the Philippines and currently owns an 8 unit studio style apartment in Dumaguete City and a campground in Siquijor. Looking to connect and network here! Mabuhay! 

  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 10 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Khris Atienza:

    Good day!

    I am a real estate agent and I have tried using BRRRR strategy to analyse investment in my area here in the Philippines.

    Here is what I found. 

    The 3 factors that I believe affect the effectiveness of BRRRR strategy in this country ( or at least in my area) greatly, which makes it nearly impossible to find a good deal.

    1. High interest rate - PHL - Minimum 1 yr fixed rate is 5+% / US - 3+% for 30 yrs fixed !!! Big Difference !!!

          > MORTGAGE PAYMENT MUST INCREASE THE NEXT MONTH FROM 5+ TO 7% just to have tiny positive cash flow. It is hard to find paying tenants here. So, you are risking losing tenants to get a measly increase in Cashflow. 

    2. RENT must increase with the Mortgage accordingly. 1% rule rent does not apply here in the Philippines because you will have negative cash flow.

    3. the length of the Loan. -  it will greatly depend on the age of the Loanee.

    These are the problems I have encountered analyzing properties using this Strategy. Sadly, the brokers I know who invest in Real Estate here in my area do not recommend this method. they recommend Buy build Sell due to fast ROI. However, this 2nd strategy is much riskier because you need to find buyers in this kind of market.

    but for those who used the BRRRR strategy here in the Philippines and became successful. I hope you can share your stories.

    thank you

    thank you 

    Hi Khris - your assessment is right and more. The real estate market in the Philippines is very interesting and I believe there is a lot of potential. I currently own a ground up 8 unit studio apt in Dumaguete using Private Money for construction. I own the lot and had used my own savings and retirement money for it (yes that's right !) 
    I am working on Refinancing the apartment but the process is long and it is compounded by the fact that there is an issue with the "road right of way" with neighbors being difficult making it hard for banks to accept the property as collateral. A small credit union and a major bank so far won't even accept an apartment as collateral but they are okay with a single family. Crazy! The banking sector is almost as slow as the government which makes me think of getting into the lending business :) 
  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ronsted Yuag:
    Quote from @Khris Atienza:

    Good day!

    I am a real estate agent and I have tried using BRRRR strategy to analyse investment in my area here in the Philippines.

    Here is what I found. 

    The 3 factors that I believe affect the effectiveness of BRRRR strategy in this country ( or at least in my area) greatly, which makes it nearly impossible to find a good deal.

    1. High interest rate - PHL - Minimum 1 yr fixed rate is 5+% / US - 3+% for 30 yrs fixed !!! Big Difference !!!

          > MORTGAGE PAYMENT MUST INCREASE THE NEXT MONTH FROM 5+ TO 7% just to have tiny positive cash flow. It is hard to find paying tenants here. So, you are risking losing tenants to get a measly increase in Cashflow. 

    2. RENT must increase with the Mortgage accordingly. 1% rule rent does not apply here in the Philippines because you will have negative cash flow.

    3. the length of the Loan. -  it will greatly depend on the age of the Loanee.

    These are the problems I have encountered analyzing properties using this Strategy. Sadly, the brokers I know who invest in Real Estate here in my area do not recommend this method. they recommend Buy build Sell due to fast ROI. However, this 2nd strategy is much riskier because you need to find buyers in this kind of market.

    but for those who used the BRRRR strategy here in the Philippines and became successful. I hope you can share your stories.

    thank you

    thank you 

    Hi Khris - your assessment is right and more. The real estate market in the Philippines is very interesting and I believe there is a lot of potential. I currently own a ground up 8 unit studio apt in Dumaguete using Private Money for construction. I own the lot and had used my own savings and retirement money for it (yes that's right !) 
    I am working on Refinancing the apartment but the process is long and it is compounded by the fact that there is an issue with the "road right of way" with neighbors being difficult making it hard for banks to accept the property as collateral. A small credit union and a major bank so far won't even accept an apartment as collateral but they are okay with a single family. Crazy! The banking sector is almost as slow as the government which makes me think of getting into the lending business :) 
    I think I found a way to make this BRRR work. It might take longer, about 5 years. But the risk and loan interest may be reduced significantly.
  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 10 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Khris Atienza:
    Quote from @Ronsted Yuag:
    Quote from @Khris Atienza:

    Good day!

    I am a real estate agent and I have tried using BRRRR strategy to analyse investment in my area here in the Philippines.

    Here is what I found. 

    The 3 factors that I believe affect the effectiveness of BRRRR strategy in this country ( or at least in my area) greatly, which makes it nearly impossible to find a good deal.

    1. High interest rate - PHL - Minimum 1 yr fixed rate is 5+% / US - 3+% for 30 yrs fixed !!! Big Difference !!!

          > MORTGAGE PAYMENT MUST INCREASE THE NEXT MONTH FROM 5+ TO 7% just to have tiny positive cash flow. It is hard to find paying tenants here. So, you are risking losing tenants to get a measly increase in Cashflow. 

    2. RENT must increase with the Mortgage accordingly. 1% rule rent does not apply here in the Philippines because you will have negative cash flow.

    3. the length of the Loan. -  it will greatly depend on the age of the Loanee.

    These are the problems I have encountered analyzing properties using this Strategy. Sadly, the brokers I know who invest in Real Estate here in my area do not recommend this method. they recommend Buy build Sell due to fast ROI. However, this 2nd strategy is much riskier because you need to find buyers in this kind of market.

    but for those who used the BRRRR strategy here in the Philippines and became successful. I hope you can share your stories.

    thank you

    thank you 

    Hi Khris - your assessment is right and more. The real estate market in the Philippines is very interesting and I believe there is a lot of potential. I currently own a ground up 8 unit studio apt in Dumaguete using Private Money for construction. I own the lot and had used my own savings and retirement money for it (yes that's right !) 
    I am working on Refinancing the apartment but the process is long and it is compounded by the fact that there is an issue with the "road right of way" with neighbors being difficult making it hard for banks to accept the property as collateral. A small credit union and a major bank so far won't even accept an apartment as collateral but they are okay with a single family. Crazy! The banking sector is almost as slow as the government which makes me think of getting into the lending business :) 
    I think I found a way to make this BRRR work. It might take longer, about 5 years. But the risk and loan interest may be reduced significantly.
    That's good to hear! Would you mind sharing it here ?  Thanks!
  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ronsted Yuag:
    Quote from @Khris Atienza:
    Quote from @Ronsted Yuag:
    Quote from @Khris Atienza:

    Good day!

    I am a real estate agent and I have tried using BRRRR strategy to analyse investment in my area here in the Philippines.

    Here is what I found. 

    The 3 factors that I believe affect the effectiveness of BRRRR strategy in this country ( or at least in my area) greatly, which makes it nearly impossible to find a good deal.

    1. High interest rate - PHL - Minimum 1 yr fixed rate is 5+% / US - 3+% for 30 yrs fixed !!! Big Difference !!!

          > MORTGAGE PAYMENT MUST INCREASE THE NEXT MONTH FROM 5+ TO 7% just to have tiny positive cash flow. It is hard to find paying tenants here. So, you are risking losing tenants to get a measly increase in Cashflow. 

    2. RENT must increase with the Mortgage accordingly. 1% rule rent does not apply here in the Philippines because you will have negative cash flow.

    3. the length of the Loan. -  it will greatly depend on the age of the Loanee.

    These are the problems I have encountered analyzing properties using this Strategy. Sadly, the brokers I know who invest in Real Estate here in my area do not recommend this method. they recommend Buy build Sell due to fast ROI. However, this 2nd strategy is much riskier because you need to find buyers in this kind of market.

    but for those who used the BRRRR strategy here in the Philippines and became successful. I hope you can share your stories.

    thank you

    thank you 

    Hi Khris - your assessment is right and more. The real estate market in the Philippines is very interesting and I believe there is a lot of potential. I currently own a ground up 8 unit studio apt in Dumaguete using Private Money for construction. I own the lot and had used my own savings and retirement money for it (yes that's right !) 
    I am working on Refinancing the apartment but the process is long and it is compounded by the fact that there is an issue with the "road right of way" with neighbors being difficult making it hard for banks to accept the property as collateral. A small credit union and a major bank so far won't even accept an apartment as collateral but they are okay with a single family. Crazy! The banking sector is almost as slow as the government which makes me think of getting into the lending business :) 
    I think I found a way to make this BRRR work. It might take longer, about 5 years. But the risk and loan interest may be reduced significantly.
    That's good to hear! Would you mind sharing it here ?  Thanks!

     Get life insurance!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.