Putting in offer using financing on home listed "Terms: Cash"

Putting in offer using financing on home listed "Terms: Cash"

Investor · Dyer, IN · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 6 votes

I've been on BiggerPockets for over 6 months now, and I finally just put my first offer in for my first investment SFH in Northwest indiana. It needs work before it is rentable, but the numbers check out, and when all is said and done I will have a property with good cash flow and equity available.

Here is back story for the question, while I was looking for a property to make an offer I found that most which fit my criteria were "Cash" terms on MLS. In other words, not available for buyers using financing. The house I just put an offer on listed "Terms: Conventional, Cash", and met all my criteria so I jumped on it.

After a couple days, I got a response that they want me to get prequalified with their lender since it is REO and that is their prerequisite before opening negotiations. They stated "This wasn't on the MLS because Seller was not expecting financed offers."

I am wondering if the "Conventional" listed on MLS was a mistake based on the feedback, but the fact remains they are willing to move forward with my financing once I meet their prerequisite. Hopefully soon I will be able to close on this and get a great deal while using financing (I'd love to use all cash but just starting out that isn't an option).

Here is the question, it appears they were expecting only cash offers for this property, but they are willing to move forward with me using a loan.  If this is true for this situation, does that mean it would be worthwhile trying to put in offers on homes which have only cash listed for terms?  Might they be willing to work with financing if you jump through a few hoops?  Is it worth the effort?

I'd love to hear if anyone else does this and has had any success.  It seems like sort of a thinking-outside-the-box method that might be helpful for newer investors if you could get the good deals normally only available to cash buyers with a bit of extra effort.

Appreciate any info!

0Reply
141 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    That's nothing "outside the box"....most listings asking for all cash are because the property condition doesn't qualify for conventional financing.  Most buyers will want a minimum of a preapprovals with any financed offers, if not along with a DU report from the lender.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    In your offer, add the "contingency to obtaining financing".  We know this delays closing or worse still, can lead to falling out of escrow.  The "submit Loan Pre-Approval letter with your offer" request is an attempt to avoid both the delay and the escrow failure.  BTW,  I'm using it on my property as well as a Proof of Funds letter for the  down payment.

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    10y

    the big challenge for financing the "cash" homes is passing an inspection. Homes I've listed on MLS I wouldn't take a financed offer because I know it won't pass a bank inspection and it's not worth my time having someone tie it up.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    Cash financing terms may be in place if the property wouldn't be likely to qualify for a conventional loan. Are you using an agent? If not, get one - you want your interests protected, and the listing agent isn't going to do that. Commissions are paid by the seller.

    One thing about your post confuses me, maybe I'm reading it wrong? You said you found this on the MLS, and then they contacted you and said it wasn't on the MLS because the seller wasn't expecting financing. So did you find it on the MLS, and if so, how?

    If you find a property that says cash terms, and you want to make a financed offer, make the financed offer. If it's been sitting around for a while, they may consider it. By working with an agent, you can have the basic criteria already entered into a contract, and then have them just add in the deal-specific information and make the offer.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Adrien C.:

    the big challenge for financing the "cash" homes is passing an inspection. Homes I've listed on MLS I wouldn't take a financed offer because I know it won't pass a bank inspection and it's not worth my time having someone tie it up.

     Not pass? can you explain why not please?

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    10y

    Seller financing might be an option- have them carry the note until it's fixed up enough to qualify for a conventional loan. 

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    @Jeff B. "Not pass inspection for conventional financing"....leaky roof, rotten wood, vandalized, burst pipes, etc.  I've listed homes that obviously needs either a cash buyer, or a 203k loan.  Getting a strong 203k preapproval, preferably with a DU report, is an alternative to buying these properties, if you plan on occupying.

  • Investor · Dyer, IN · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Mindy Jensen - Yes, sorry I can explain more clearly. This was listed on MLS and I am working with an agent. What they meant was, the requirement to prequalify with their lender wasn't mentioned in the terms or description in the MLS. It only said "Terms: Conventional, Cash" and not something like "Conventional with prequalification through approved lender" or something like that. They weren't expecting someone to make an offer with financing so they didn't bother mentioning they would require extra steps if this kind of offer was put in. I hope that clarifies.

    @Adrien C. - That's good information. It makes sense that cash offer would only be accepted if a bank inspection wouldn't pass.  Some that are listed cash only aren't in terrible shape, so I wondered if there was something else going on.  I'll also consider seller financing while looking into this.

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    10y

    @Adrien C. - That's good information. It makes sense that cash offer would only be accepted if a bank inspection wouldn't pass.  Some that are listed cash only aren't in terrible shape, so I wondered if there was something else going on.  I'll also consider seller financing while looking into this.

     It could also be a speed of closing issue. A cash sale can close in as quick as 3-5 days depending on title work and any issues there. A financed purchase could take 30-45-60 days with all the new disclosures and junk that is part of that process. And there is always the possibility that a financed purchase falls through at which time the seller basically has to start the process over. Once the property is showing contingent, not too many buyers will look at it anymore. 

  • Jimmy MoncriefPro Member
    Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2010 · 319 posts · 100 votes
    10y

    They get the "cash" at closing.  I've never understood sellers who demand this...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.