Alternatives to Turnkey Investing?

Alternatives to Turnkey Investing?

Cailyn AunePro Member
Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 88 votes

Are there ALTERNATIVES to TURNKEY INVESTING? You know... somewhere an out-of-state investor (or local investor) could find a "team" of people already in place to find/buy deals.... and then they have a trusted PM to recommend?? (PLEASE no FOR or AGAINST arguments for turnkey.... I've read thousands of posts on everyone's thoughts... just wondering what OTHER options are out there for investors like myself...)

I've have been crunching numbers like crazy. And I just can't get the turnkey returns that I was hoping for. I haven't ruled it out yet, but I know in the back of my head, if I didn't go through a turnkey company, I'm sure I could improve my numbers. 

Of course the appeal of turnkey... I'm paying someone to spend the TIME getting a house rent ready, I have no history of fixing homes/rehabbing them, I want homes with a trusted PM (not easy to find though), and it opens up markets across the country. 

So my question..... is it a dumb one? Is the alternative to turnkey investing something that even exists?? Or is it non-existent? I guess I don't maybe know the right verbiage to use ...

3Reply
217 views

Most Popular Reply

Alex CraigBusiness Member
Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

@Ed B. Jeez, give her a break.  She is just promoting herself like so many others do on BP.  I think most see through a sales pitch and truly trying to help.  A simple, "I disagree with that statement" would have worked fine.  Where you the moderator on the Academic Decathlon? 

See this reply in the discussion

76 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cailyn AunePro Member
    OP
    Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    @Alex Craig- This makes sense to me.... instead of being so aggressive about spreading out the investments, find an awesome team. Then, maybe get lucky and find another one somewhere else. But I can see that having too many all over would definitely create more work, in more ways that one. I connected with a google exec who owns all 10 turnkeys from 1 provider, and has been pretty pleased. He is only know looking into another provider... still in the same market. Again- you can see the rationale, for sure. Thanks Alex, I appreciate the advice. Can you tell me more about the linear markets idea? I have been looking into Indianapolis, and was seeing geographically that KC is just west, and Columbus is just east, and was thinking it could be beneficial... but don't actually know why, except that they are close when you need to make visits. What is the argument for that? :o) 

    @Isaac Rowe- Thanks Isaac- this seems reasonable... what is the best way to find agents and PM's? Just through BP? Are most PM's capable of handing rehabs... or are you hunting for the few that are? Do you know of anyone personally who has done what you have suggested?

  • Cailyn AunePro Member
    OP
    Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    @Steve Vaughan- Thanks for the specifics on how to use the CL ads. I can totally do that! :o) I have looked up owners of addresses on the county assessors site, so I am already familiar with that, and you're right- not hard. So when you say to avoid the "wholesalers"- you mean people responding to my ad who are trying to pitch their wholesale deals? 

    @Brian Turnbough- Okay, this makes the most sense to me so far. I can do that. :o) Sometimes when people list a billion things to do that you need to figure out- it definitely leaves you feeling a bit lost. Great questions on how to find a contractor... I'm going to do that with my hometown, too- definitely! Good to know regarding your wife... it is a bit intimidating! I'm encouraged by this, thank you Brian!

    @Alex Franks- Thank you Alex... this is a lot along the line of what Brian (above) was saying. Like I mentioned, this gives me a path for my own local market as well, which we are not opposesd to, just still not sure how to make numbers work. Having a trustworthy contractor is a huge piece in my mind. Thank you for the reminder on staying away from lower-end investments... I have seen this mentioned mutliple times, and when you read it again- it confirms what others are saying. I appreciate it!

  • Cailyn AunePro Member
    OP
    Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed- Interesting. These are the things I like hearing about. Seattle based... may be out of my price range... but not sure what you're dealing with. I will send you a message- thanks Justin. 

    @David Faulkner- nothing like a good dose of reality, right? I appreciate you sharing your experience. :o) What years were you investing out of state? Was it through turnkey?

  • Cailyn AunePro Member
    OP
    Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 88 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    Thanks, Penny. Didn't think anyone really noticed.

    Actually, the sellers I meet mostly all self-manage quality properties and own free and clear. Boomers that have been LLs for decades and have more than 1 rental.  They like seller financing and don't do agents or PMs. They are also local. I listed it as an alternative to TK. Get the already rented asset, put your own PM on it of that's your deal.

     Steve- we just recently discovered that a friend's parents own 23 rental properties free and clear in our town. We are in the process of setting up a meeting with them. Hmmmm.... seller financing- is this what you're talking about? So you're suggesting, we buy their homes through seller financing, and assume the property management either ourselves our through a PM.... win, win. I'm intrigued. I keep coming back around though... I am estimating the price on some of their homes being the neighborhood I know they are in... I"m wondering how we would get cash flow since they have fixed up a lot of them along the way... Ok- any more thoughts on this? Is this what you're referring to?

  • Cailyn AunePro Member
    OP
    Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    @Melinda Vandergeugten- it's so funny that you found this company... because I stumbled on the same one that same day. Thank you for going back and finding it for me. :o)

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Cailyn Aune  I would agree for out of state you should be seeing better numbers.  You can get 10-12% buying performing notes from a broker or 8-10 buying just front end payments on someones performing note.  While you don't get appreciation you also give up a lot of the drama.

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Cailyn Aune:

    @Account Closed- Interesting. These are the things I like hearing about. Seattle based... may be out of my price range... but not sure what you're dealing with. I will send you a message- thanks Justin. 

    @David Faulkner- nothing like a good dose of reality, right? I appreciate you sharing your experience. :o) What years were you investing out of state? Was it through turnkey?

    I invested in Phoenix, AZ in 2010-2011, bought a few houses through my Roth IRA LLC, which forced me to be hands off and use contractors and PMs, so I figured I might as well go out of state. I had a few years of hands on experience at that point investing in SoCal, and I applied my same model in Phoenix, just did it remote through others. Namely, I bought distressed REOs that didn't qualify for financing (so no retail competition) for cash, then spent $5-10k to fix them up and rent them out. This, along with good timing, no leverage, and the fact that I could drive to visit my properties and get the situation back under control when needed turned out to be my saving grace, because it was the equity this created and low expenses that saved me as I got repeatedly abused by bad contractors, tenants, and PMs over the next few years. These were nice houses in B class neighborhoods too, not ghetto. The cash flow I projected never materialized, and it got so bad one year that I actually managed to negative cash flow for the year on a property that I owned outright (no mortgage) ... think about that one for a bit ... Had I bought turnkey at retail price with a mortgage in a market that required a flight to get to, I would've been toast for sure, not a doubt in my mind about that. So, now I'm selling while the market is hot and moving my funds closer to home. I still did fantastically well on appreciation, so don't shed a tear for me ... sometimes better to be lucky than good, but best to be both :) I'm going to sit tight a bit and see what happens with the market, but may eventually put the funds to work locally as a hard money lender so I can stay hands off as my Roth IRA LLC requires for those funds but still keep a close eye on it.

  • Cailyn AunePro Member
    OP
    Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    @Alex Craig- Oh gosh... well, I sounded like the newbie I am with that question previously. "Linear" markets... I get it. :o) Markets that don't fluctuate a lot, and stay more steady, as opposed to more volatile maybe coastal cities... Is that what you were talking about? You might not see crazy appreciation, but you also don't see the crazy crashes.... Just steady Eddie, right? :o)

  • Cailyn AunePro Member
    OP
    Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    @David Faulkner- well lucky you! I'm glad the appreciation bailed you out... WOW. Interesting to hear more of the pieces to that puzzle. Keep us updated on what you decide. It definitely feels like the market around here in the Seattle area is heating up so much... that sometimes I wonder if it's a good time to just.... wait... on certain things anyway. :o)

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    We offer a hybrid approach.  We have a team and you tap into it.  We help you identify a property that fits your needs.  If you need rehab work we have a team of contractor we regularly work with. We will manage the property and put your rental listing in the mls and it would be syndicated to  something in the range of 2000 different web renal websites.  Upside / downside of our model, you have greater control and input.  It is more time consuming, but you have greater control and input into your investment.

  • Isaac RowePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 214 posts · 86 votes
    10y

    @Cailyn Aune

    Good questions! First thing is to narrow down the area you want to invest in. Then do some market research, and reach out to a few people who look to know what they are doing. You can fly into that area, and go to REIA meetings, but BP is a great place to start. I have a lot of clients who have never set foot in Ohio, but who have bought a good number of properties in the area. Depends on your comfort level.

    Not all PM companies can handle full rehabs, nor would you want them to.  Just another hand in the pot to drive the price up.  If your doing rehabs you need to network with contractors directly inmo, but if your doing buy and hold, you can buy properties that don't need full rehabs, just some work to be made rent ready.  Any PM company can handle that level of work, if they are decent. If you interested in the Cleveland area, reach out to me directly, I am happy to share any contacts that are helpful. 

  • Wholesaler · Sunfield, MI · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Im looking for cash buyers in the state of michigan or people that would buy in that area

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Cailyn Aune:

    So another question.... Would you the alternatives be superior to the turnkey model... Based on what I'm asking in the top post?

    Back a partner on the ground.

    Maybe back one of these turn key companies WHEN they are buying the house instead of buying it from them when they mark it up.

    There are alternatives that are superior to Turnkey.

  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Cailyn Aune  You are correct in your assumption that linear markets do not fluctuate. 

  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 887 votes
    10y

    would anyone be interested in a list of homes that I have "off market" and need major rehab?

  • Investor · Big Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 140 posts · 59 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Cailyn Aune:

    @Steve Vaughan- Thanks for the specifics on how to use the CL ads. I can totally do that! :o) I have looked up owners of addresses on the county assessors site, so I am already familiar with that, and you're right- not hard. So when you say to avoid the "wholesalers"- you mean people responding to my ad who are trying to pitch their wholesale deals? 

    @Brian Turnbough- Okay, this makes the most sense to me so far. I can do that. :o) Sometimes when people list a billion things to do that you need to figure out- it definitely leaves you feeling a bit lost. Great questions on how to find a contractor... I'm going to do that with my hometown, too- definitely! Good to know regarding your wife... it is a bit intimidating! I'm encouraged by this, thank you Brian!

    @Alex Franks- Thank you Alex... this is a lot along the line of what Brian (above) was saying. Like I mentioned, this gives me a path for my own local market as well, which we are not opposesd to, just still not sure how to make numbers work. Having a trustworthy contractor is a huge piece in my mind. Thank you for the reminder on staying away from lower-end investments... I have seen this mentioned mutliple times, and when you read it again- it confirms what others are saying. I appreciate it!

     So, how is the research going? Have you been able to find any good contractors in your area yet?

  • Cailyn AunePro Member
    OP
    Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    @Brian Turnbough - Thanks for following up... :o) My husband and I attended our first REI/BP MeetUp last night... it was great! I got to connect with a handful of people that I have met on BP- including a contractor that another local colleague has already used on a project that they were very pleased with. So, that is one connection, right?! :o) He also said he would be happy to walk through a home with me to give me an honest take on what needs to be done, even if he was too busy at the time to take on the job and I had to use someone else for the work.

    Okay.. baby steps!

  • Cailyn AunePro Member
    OP
    Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 88 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Richard Dunlop:

    Maybe back one of these turn key companies WHEN they are buying the house instead of buying it from them when they mark it up.

     Richard.... so no question is a dumb one, right? But how would you recommend doing this? What does "backing a turnkey company" look like? I love that idea... trying to think through how that would play out..... thank you! 

  • Investor · Big Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 140 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    Sounds like you guys are on your way to be real estate mogals! Let us know how your first flip goes.

  • Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Cailyn Aune:

    @Bob E.- ... There is one company we've connected with that has been recommended by multiple individuals who invest in the turnkey market who have used them and use them personally, that we are seeing their returns as high as 19%, 24%, and even 28% (depending on the property)... and they have every thing included on their proforma... they don't leave out a bunch of stuff like everyone else does to make their numbers look good/better. 

      @Cailyn Aune ...I am a new investor, and also new to BP. I have also been curious about the same question you asked. I will really appreciate it if I can get the name and contact details of this Company (providing turn-key's) that many people have recommended, with their returns ranging from 19% to 28%. I will like to do my due diligence on them, and probably invest with them.


    Thanks,

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Cailyn Aune

    I would be very leery of a turnkey provider offering 19-28% returns!  

    This is a very high return rates, there has to be more to the story then that.  We can got 20% on some of our investments because we are buying distressed and doing the rehab but if it sounds to good to be true ......  

    If these people could make 19-28% on an investment why in the world would they sell it?  Just for the joy of evicting non paying tenants?  Because they enjoy collecting large amounts of money every month and sending it off to someone else?   A portfolio of properties like this would self fund and by definition pay for itself/double every 3-5 years, a very small seed capital would grow very quickly.

  • Cailyn AunePro Member
    OP
    Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    @Bob E.- Thanks Bob... I think it depends on how you run the numbers. If I run them very conservatively, i was getting lower returns. 

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bob E.:

    @Cailyn Aune

    I would be very leery of a turnkey provider offering 19-28% returns!   

    I don't advise TK investments even though the cash flow might offer good returns it seems to me the TK companies prosper in the areas where there is a big disparity of prices.  If you are buying at the top of the market or above market you are forfeiting the appreciation. Why would you pay $50,000 for the house next door to the one I bought for $3000?

    Because they can get much better returns than that! I sell properties every month that are returning WAY better than 28%.  I don't buy anything unless my first year return is "guaranteed" to be at least 300% and I still own the asset. Why in the world would they hold an asset that only returns 19-28%? (Again I am not advocating TK see above!)

    It does grow very quickly but I'm glad I don't have to wait 3-5 years to double!

    Mine has MORE than doubled since we first spoke 10 months ago.

  • South Jordan, UT · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hi @Cailyn Aune, I had similar questions to you. The last post was 11 months ago....what did you decide and how are things going?

  • Real Estate Marketing Professional · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 299 posts · 125 votes
    9y

    @Cailyn Aune, yes, there are alternatives. If you look for a combined brokerage and PM company with local connections in the industry, you can get pretty close to a turnkey. Our 15-year company specializes in helping investors buy (full investor real estate brokerage) and we are also a PM company with local connections. So if you find a place like that in the area you want to invest in, they can help you buy, rehab/make market ready and then manage it for you. You can reverse engineer it by search NARPM.org and finding registered PMs in your area and then investigate to see if they are also a brokerage. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.