Wholesaler · Palmetto, FL · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 6 votes
Hello BP. I was wondering what exactly are you looking for when you search a probate property on the county website? I pulled up a probate list but I'm not exactly sure which one is the property? Thanks and look forward to your response.
Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
@James Lamb You are clearly asking the wrong questions or irritating some court clerk.
Probate cases are public records by definition. Copies of all documents can be purchased, with the exception of certain records for protected persons such guardianships or minors and Conservatorshipships of adults.
Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
Why don't you begin by actually going down to the courthouse and try using their onsite system as well as pulling some actual files.
This will get you familiarized with the local courts quirks.
In my state, CA, each court online system is very different. In our largest county, Los Angeles, the probate court used to have satellite courts however they have since consolidated into a central courthouse and archiving center.
However, the data is NOT available online; only court calendar notes and action summaries (and you need a case # to search for those, too).
So, the secret is to learn your local court(s) systems then determine what data can be obtained online remote.
In my opinion, the harder it is to get, the better because fewer competitors will take the action required.
Real estate data: what's good is bad, and what's bad is good.
Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
@James Lamb You are clearly asking the wrong questions or irritating some court clerk.
Probate cases are public records by definition. Copies of all documents can be purchased, with the exception of certain records for protected persons such guardianships or minors and Conservatorshipships of adults.
Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 504 posts · 217 votes
10y
I am wondering the same thing. Also what do all the acronyms mean in property records like, ET AL, etc? There is a ton of different acronyms. I am guessing ET AL is EXECUTOR OF TRUST? We are about to buy a probate house from my 2 step sisters. It has ET AL on the property record. Maybe I am on to something here. Perhaps there are other acronyms that represent a probate property as well.
Wholesaler · Palmetto, FL · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 6 votes
10y
Thank you @Rick H. for your tip. I'm sure you know a thing or two about probates, and I would like to pick your brain about probates and the whole process in general. Thanks again.
Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 504 posts · 217 votes
10y
Some County websites are way more user friendly than others. Our probate flip is in Clay county and the website is very user friendly with free data files for download. The next county Duval has a tough website that is very stingy with information.
I am wondering the same thing. Also what do all the acronyms mean in property records like, ET AL, etc? There is a ton of different acronyms. I am guessing ET AL is EXECUTOR OF TRUST? We are about to buy a probate house from my 2 step sisters. It has ET AL on the property record. Maybe I am on to something here. Perhaps there are other acronyms that represent a probate property as well.
"Et al" is from the Latin. Loosely, it means "and (et) others (al)".
Perhaps someone more literate than me can clarify. I would expect "executor of trust" to be equivalent to the role of the executor of an estate when a property is held in trust (as opposed to a trustee? Dunno...)
Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 504 posts · 217 votes
10y
All I know is in answering the original question, We are buying a probate house from my 2 step sisters as my step dad passed last September..The acronym applied to the property since my step sister was executor is ET AL..
Now, I am curious about what the other acronyms represent. ET AL was applied during the time it would have been good idea to market to the seller executor...Except we already made an offer to buy my step sisters out.
Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 504 posts · 217 votes
10y
Rick H. can you direct us to the meanings of all acronyms tied to a property?
I took it for granted that since my step sister was executor and ET AL was added next to her name on the property at the same time, that it stood for executor of trust. I would like to learn the acronyms . Thank-you
Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 504 posts · 217 votes
10y
Ok so Google says ET AL means "and others"..So back to original question
Chris Taualii, I have heard some people say they follow the obituaries to look up names of recently deceased and begin searching property records then marketing to the families who own or are inheriting Real Estate.
If you happen upon a resource that defines all the acronyms please share it.
Investor · Benton, TN · Member since 2011 · 10 posts · 1 vote
10y
My mentor was teaching me probate when this happened at the courthouse...she knew what to ask....don't believe many people do probate here way staff reacted