HOW MANY UNITS DO U OWN

HOW MANY UNITS DO U OWN

Real Estate Investor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2009 · 271 posts · 52 votes

just what the topic said and not to be to personal just wanted to know how many units people on here acutally owned for themselves..

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
16y

Stephen,
My info and #'s is in the Meet The Investor section here on BP. I've "owned" over 1000 single family residences. I have no idea on how many apts,I've owned,somewhere in the low thousands.(In limited partnerships or LLCs)
CURRENTLY, I have 154 units
in Garland, TX, 550 units in a self storage facility here in FL, and around 75 homes in a combination of AZ, TX and FL.(also 50 remaining lots in a subdivision in TX)
I'm older, and this wasn't done overnight. I was going to just answer with" I own enuff." but decided to give more details.
I practice what I preach. These are owned in different entities, some owner financed, some free and clear and some with bank financing. The reason is for asset protection and preparedness for either inflation or deflation. Good luck. Rich

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Stephen,
    My info and #'s is in the Meet The Investor section here on BP. I've "owned" over 1000 single family residences. I have no idea on how many apts,I've owned,somewhere in the low thousands.(In limited partnerships or LLCs)
    CURRENTLY, I have 154 units
    in Garland, TX, 550 units in a self storage facility here in FL, and around 75 homes in a combination of AZ, TX and FL.(also 50 remaining lots in a subdivision in TX)
    I'm older, and this wasn't done overnight. I was going to just answer with" I own enuff." but decided to give more details.
    I practice what I preach. These are owned in different entities, some owner financed, some free and clear and some with bank financing. The reason is for asset protection and preparedness for either inflation or deflation. Good luck. Rich

  • Real Estate Consultant · yucaipa, CA · Member since 2008 · 233 posts · 109 votes
    16y

    Hey Rich,
    How many Classic Cars do you own? Got to have a few of those too. Ha! Ha!

    Just thought I'd chime in and say hello!!
    Happy New Year.

  • Peachtree City, GA · Member since 2009 · 1 post · 0 votes
    16y

    Hi folks,
    Hey Rich, thanks for sharing. I am seeking advice on continued investing and I want to pick your brain.
    In this current RE environment (Dec 2009) are you buying RE or selling? I ask because the Commercial properties seem to be headed for a meltdown and the SFR are flat at least for now.
    What would you do different, now that you have years of investing under your belt?
    I myself have 9 SF rentals, started in 2001, sold some and bought some. I would like to get my investing kicked into higher gear. I have taken most all of the guru courses and just as I thought I could get ripping, the market falls on its face.
    I am looking to purchase plexes with owner finance in the coming year, but I am abit leery of the market.
    Any tips would be appreciated.

    Thanks and best regards.
    Michael

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Hi Matt- I have 2(sort of). One I totalled and am having rebuilt.
    Michael- Join as a colleague and I'll offer you some advice through a PM. Sounds like you've done well. Rich

  • Real Estate Consultant · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2009 · 69 posts · 23 votes
    16y

    I personally right now only own 6! I did own 42.. That being said No they did not Foreclose I carry a 2nd mortgage on 38 of them still and have another 14 Second Mortgages out there. I got tired of the Landlord scene and hopefully by the middle of 2010 I will own ZERO! I can say that because all of my properties are in a trust so I really don't
    own any my trust does. Wow so I guess the answer here is really none I don't own anything! Not even a car...

  • Investor · Springfield, MA · Member since 2010 · 276 posts · 84 votes
    16y

    Hi. Rich I was wondering if I might be able to pick your brain as well.

    About myself. I have studied many of the gurus and about two years ago went full steam ahead. Currently I started a company with a few others and we have bought, rehabbed, rented, and now manage 81 units.

    What I am looking to learn about is how to move into the so called "big deals". I am looking into the commercial market more but also wanted to learn more about possible government financing, right now I have focussed of just finding new investors. Any tips or insights would be much appreciated.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Matthew- you can search old posts, threads and blogs by me on BP to learn what my attitudes and experiences are. Glad to answer any specific questions here or in a PM, if you're a colleague. This past year I bought 154 units in Dallas area, and a 550 unit self storage building here in FL. both were big commercial deals, to me.

    Rob- good point. All my properties are owned in entities that "eventually" funnel into an Irrevocable Trust. I am not a very good credit risk because of it! Rich

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    16y

    Folks - lets try and stay on topic here . . . if you want to pick someone's brain, please start a new thread or send them a PM if it is something personal.

    Thanks!

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Hi Josh,
    That is exactly what I replied in post.

    Matthew- you can search old posts, threads and blogs by me on BP to learn what my attitudes and experiences are. Glad to answer any specific questions here or in a PM, if you're a colleague

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    16y

    I wasn't referring to you, Rich . . . just letting the others know.

    Thanks.

  • Property Manager · Passaic, NJ · Member since 2008 · 369 posts · 83 votes
    16y

    I own 54 but started with only one 22 yrs ago at 25 years old (now you know how old I am LOL). I was hoping to pass them on to my kids. Kids don't seem to have any interest so I am currently pondering what my next move will be.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2009 · 271 posts · 52 votes
    16y

    yea man i see that you are about to retire....i think you still love the gettign some of that cashflow each month,unless u want of the biz

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Ingrid- I'm old enuff to be your father! Congrats again on your path. There aren't that many investors here, or anywhere else that actually stick with a plan, let their money grow and have the discipline to WAIT for the money tree to grow to full size! Congrats. Rich

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    Currently 13, plus a small office building.

  • Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2009 · 660 posts · 244 votes
    16y

    Currently own 3 .... have owned up to 7.

  • Member since 2009 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    I only own 1 unit but I'm considering adding another for my future family. :D

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    My wife and I currently only own 3 SFR rentals. My parents, both who are very ill, own 22 residential units and 1 commercial unit. I do the bookkeeping for all of them.

    I wanted to buy one more last year, but my mother did not want to incur any debt, so we only bought 1 last year. Expanding our rental base came to a crawl when my parents got sick 6 years ago. I hope to pick it up within the next 24 months.

    If all properties were rented, the GSR would be $30,000+ per month. My goal before I leave this rock is to get that to six figures. I guess I have about 30 years to do that!

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Mike- you're a smart cookie. I'll bet on you making it. I found it was beneficial to set annual goals. What to pay off, how much to increase rents, when to trade up etc. Step by step. Don't miss any year! Have something as goals, even if it doesn't lead to purchasing anything this year.
    The GSR isn't really that important. You must have a high net to enjoy life and leave something. Rich

  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    16y

    I went from 2 units to 10 between the ages of 19 and 21. Back down to 2 at 25. Working on selling off the last duplex to focus full time on rehabbing. Anyone want it? :)

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Rich, my 3 have mortgages, but all my parents, save 1, are free and clear. I plan to leverage my parents to about 50% before 2020.

  • Investor · McKinney, TX · Member since 2009 · 405 posts · 160 votes
    16y

    Late to the game, only have 2.

    Picked up our first SFR rental in 2007, second one in 2008, then bought a new home and sold our old one in 2009.

    Old home was not a good candidate for a rental, we would have kept if it had been.

    Plan to purchase at least one piece of real estate every year.

    Still have lots to learn.

  • Real Estate Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2009 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    16y

    I started 2009 at age 21 with 0. I now own 1 on my own and 4 in a LLC with my brother and Father.

    I also bought my first primary home in June of 2009 to save money and get the first time home buyer credit. Once I save up to move into a nicer house down the road this house will be turned into a rental.

    I hope 2010 is as good of a year for us as 2009 was.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2009 · 69 posts · 23 votes
    16y

    Keep in mind that just because you own a bunch of units does not really mean to much. At one point I had over 40 SFR's and I hit a point where I had to come up with 6k a month (rookie mistake 10 years back) then I got smart and created notes now I hold a 2nd mortgage on all of those plus more. And have a escrow company that does all the debt collection for me. Let me promise you one thing if you own a bunch of rentals and don't have a good property manager in place you will wish that you owned ZERO! This is America Cash flow is king and Zero debt is better!

    Got a funny story about that as well. Pulled my personal credit the other day and it said PRESUMED LIVING! Nothing on there at all... Yet my business has ROCKIN CREDIT!

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    "Got a funny story about that as well. Pulled my personal credit the other day and it said PRESUMED LIVING! Nothing on there at all... Yet my business has ROCKIN CREDIT!"

    Mobile phone? Insurance? Nothing?

    What entity is your business? Are you ever asked to sign a personal guarantee?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2009 · 69 posts · 23 votes
    16y

    Mobile phone BUSINESS EXPENSE

    Insurance BUSINESS EXPENSE

    Are you ever asked to sign a personal guarantee?

    Was when I got into business 15 years ago now I guess my business would have to sign for me! LOL :mrgreen:

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.