Where the Heck Should I Move To? Please Help!

Where the Heck Should I Move To? Please Help!

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Hi, Bigger Pockets,

I wanted to get some leads to some cities that could be ideal for me to move to and invest in. I currently live in Los Angeles and would really like to live somewhere different.

I grew up in northwestern Pennsylvania, which was a good place to grow up. We had Lake Erie to enjoy and woods to play around in as well. It’s a great place during the spring, summer and fall months.

The reason why I moved away from Erie is because I don’t like snow and dreary days (they typically run from November to March/April).

I would like to move somewhere that has the following attributes listed below. If any of y’all know of any areas or cities that has the traits, please let me know. I would be super grateful.

A place where:

-There are lots of woods—I really enjoy hiking and being outside

-I like water that has waves—so it’s near a decent-sized lake or an ocean

-Land is relatively cheap—I would like to live on a decent-sized plot of land

-It either doesn’t snow or it very rarely snows

-People are friendly

Those are the main needs. I truly hope I can find a place that suits my likes. The U.S.A. is so large it’s tough to know where to search and so I wanted to ask y’all, since Bigger Pockets users are all over America (and beyond).

Again, thank you, fellow BPers. I appreciate it very much.

3Reply
547 views

Most Popular Reply

Craig CurelopBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Karl B. - When reading this, Florida was the first place that jumps out at me. However, if "lots of woods" is what you value the most then maybe Florida isn't for you.

Colorado meets a lot of these criteria. Though there is not much water with waves, there is TONS of wonderful hikes and people are super friendly and active. 

Sure it snows, but it does not stick. At least in the Denver area it doesn't. If you want snow, you go to the mountains. 

I have similar criteria as you and I live in Denver and am very happy. 

You also might want to consider northern CA. A few hours north of San Francisco, like Sacramento area? There are a lot of hikes, it's pretty warm, people are nice, and it's not far away from the ocean. 

See this reply in the discussion

213 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 504 posts · 217 votes
    9y

    N.E. Florida....but it depends on what amount $ you consider cheap for large plots of land. And with that,  the ocean would be 45 minutes to an hour away. Good luck on your searcb.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Carolyn Morales:

    N.E. Florida....but it depends on what amount $ you consider cheap for large plots of land. And with that,  the ocean would be 45 minutes to an hour away. Good luck on your searcb.

    Many thanks. I appreciate it, Carolyn. 

  • Investor · Tarzana CA and Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 326 posts · 130 votes
    9y

    I don't think it exists...maybe over seas in croatia or something

  • Biloxi, MS · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 42 votes
    9y

    There was once a comedian who joked about the abbreviation for California, Calif. to mean come and live in Florida. Northern Florida maybe a good option. Good luck.

  • Lender · Largo, FL · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    I live in Clearwater, FL and it seems to meet your needs. Other than that, North Carolina or Colorado would do you good :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Orlando Guzman:

    There was once a comedian who joked about the abbreviation for California, Calif. to mean come and live in Florida. Northern Florida maybe a good option. Good luck.

     Awesome! I will definitely research it. Thank you, Orlando. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Wiley:

    I live in Clearwater, FL and it seems to meet your needs. Other than that, North Carolina or Colorado would do you good :) 

     Awesome! Thank you. I will research Clearwater. My sister lives in NC and recommended a place - I don't believe there was water there but lots of woods. I should look into Colorado as well (away from Denver where it's quite expensive). Many thanks! 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    If you enjoy having a high income, then the DC area offers most of what you want. Land may not be cheap, but housing when measured against our larger salaries here equates to more affordable housing than LA, NYC, Seattle, etc.

  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Karl B. - When reading this, Florida was the first place that jumps out at me. However, if "lots of woods" is what you value the most then maybe Florida isn't for you.

    Colorado meets a lot of these criteria. Though there is not much water with waves, there is TONS of wonderful hikes and people are super friendly and active. 

    Sure it snows, but it does not stick. At least in the Denver area it doesn't. If you want snow, you go to the mountains. 

    I have similar criteria as you and I live in Denver and am very happy. 

    You also might want to consider northern CA. A few hours north of San Francisco, like Sacramento area? There are a lot of hikes, it's pretty warm, people are nice, and it's not far away from the ocean. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    If you enjoy having a high income, then the DC area offers most of what you want. Land may not be cheap, but housing when measured against our larger salaries here equates to more affordable housing than LA, NYC, Seattle, etc.

     I have considered that area. I haven't visited since I was a kid but it does have waves and land. I believe there's some very good hiking and woods there so I will look into it. Thank you, Sir!

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Craig Curelop:

    @Karl B. - When reading this, Florida was the first place that jumps out at me. However, if "lots of woods" is what you value the most then maybe Florida isn't for you.

    Colorado meets a lot of these criteria. Though there is not much water with waves, there is TONS of wonderful hikes and people are super friendly and active. 

    Sure it snows, but it does not stick. At least in the Denver area it doesn't. If you want snow, you go to the mountains. 

    I have similar criteria as you and I live in Denver and am very happy. 

    You also might want to consider northern CA. A few hours north of San Francisco, like Sacramento area? There are a lot of hikes, it's pretty warm, people are nice, and it's not far away from the ocean. 

     Thank you for the great response! I haven't ever been to Colorado but I know several people who love it there (my mom's good friend moved there for the skiing maybe 10-15 years ago and will never leave). I considered north of Sacramento or maybe even Oregon. The land is very reasonably priced up there. I think the main thing holding me back from California is the insane income tax. :-/

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Oregon is gorgeous but 6+ months of rain and grey.. I was thinking somewhere in N Cal too. I love the wooded areas towards Lassen outside Redding or Red Bluff. But you're a ways from the ocean then. 

    Colorado is great, i grew up there. An hour north of Denver. It's all pretty pricey at this point, depending on your income level. 

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Come check out Alabama.  The weather is mild  but you still have a change of seasons.  Great hiking and plenty of water options- everything from the ocean to lakes and rivers!  I'm a transplant from Texas and one of the things I love most about Birmingham is how GREEN it is. Lots of excellent investment opportunities as well.   

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Gaffney:

    Oregon is gorgeous but 6+ months of rain and grey.. I was thinking somewhere in N Cal too. I love the wooded areas towards Lassen outside Redding or Red Bluff. But you're a ways from the ocean then. 

    Colorado is great, i grew up there. An hour north of Denver. It's all pretty pricey at this point, depending on your income level. 

     That's a lot of rain and grey! I like some rain but not 6+ months! Many thanks!

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    You really don't need to look that far ... Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear should do it. The real rub with your list is the definition of relatively cheap ... I don't know what that means but what I do know is that a place that is nice to live with all of the other attributes you describe is not likely to be cheap, unless it is way out in the middle of nowhere. If that added requirement is good for you, then I'd look far, far, away from any major metropolitan area to meet the other requirements. If it is a place that NO ONE here on BP has ever heard of, you are probably on the right path ... investing there could be a challenge, though.

  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 504 posts · 217 votes
    9y

    @Karl B 

    N.E Florida has tons of woods, forests, springs and lakes... just saying ..I heard someone say Colorado is difficult with its mineral rights and water supply ability and allowability to dig a well ? Might want to verify. Just what I heard 

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Karl B. "Where the Heck Should I Move To?"      Oompa Loompa land, of course.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Kevin B., Ryan S, and especially CM,

    On another note, recently I have read about Jacksonville as a good place to invest.  The population growth as well as employment growth allegedly is excellent for investment.  What would be your opinion of that area?

    St. Pete, Tampa as well?  Ryan, what might explore in Clearwater?  Northeast Florida?

    On Alex's comment on Croatia.  A colleague of mine did buy a house in Croatia, which was dirt cheap.  I haven't investigated overseas investing.  Costa Rica is an area which particularly comes to mind.  

    Budget and cash available might be helpful for other BP's help.  

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:

    Hi, Bigger Pockets,

    I wanted to get some leads to some cities that could be ideal for me to move to and invest in. I currently live in Los Angeles and would really like to live somewhere different.

    I grew up in northwestern Pennsylvania, which was a good place to grow up. We had Lake Erie to enjoy and woods to play around in as well. It’s a great place during the spring, summer and fall months.

    The reason why I moved away from Erie is because I don’t like snow and dreary days (they typically run from November to March/April).

    I would like to move somewhere that has the following attributes listed below. If any of y’all know of any areas or cities that has the traits, please let me know. I would be super grateful.

    A place where:

    -There are lots of woods—I really enjoy hiking and being outside

    -I like water that has waves—so it’s near a decent-sized lake or an ocean

    -Land is relatively cheap—I would like to live on a decent-sized plot of land

    -It either doesn’t snow or it very rarely snows

    -People are friendly

    Those are the main needs. I truly hope I can find a place that suits my likes. The U.S.A. is so large it’s tough to know where to search and so I wanted to ask y’all, since Bigger Pockets users are all over America (and beyond).

    Again, thank you, fellow BPers. I appreciate it very much.

    All of your reasons are the reasons I live in Nacogdoches Texas. The two largest lakes in the state are less than an hour drive. One is in the county. Trees in abundance and rolling hills. Ocean is just three hours away. 

    Halfway between Houston and Dallas. 

    There are three large lakes in our county alone. One has trout. 15 lakes less than two hours away. Land is cheap here even though we are a college town. The college is spending millions expanding with no end in sight. We do get some snow but it never lasts more than a few days. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Tish Weaster:

    Come check out Alabama.  The weather is mild  but you still have a change of seasons.  Great hiking and plenty of water options- everything from the ocean to lakes and rivers!  I'm a transplant from Texas and one of the things I love most about Birmingham is how GREEN it is. Lots of excellent investment opportunities as well.   

     Alabama was one of the states on my list - I wasn't too familiar with the water situation mid-state but I know Mobile has the water and some woods. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @David Faulkner:

    You really don't need to look that far ... Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear should do it. The real rub with your list is the definition of relatively cheap ... I don't know what that means but what I do know is that a place that is nice to live with all of the other attributes you describe is not likely to be cheap, unless it is way out in the middle of nowhere. If that added requirement is good for you, then I'd look far, far, away from any major metropolitan area to meet the other requirements. If it is a place that NO ONE here on BP has ever heard of, you are probably on the right path ... investing there could be a challenge, though.

    You're right - I should have clarified cheap or should have used a different term. What I meant is do-able. For me to buy even an acre of land in Los Angeles would cost millions of dollars. Definitely not do-able. But to pay thousands or even tens of thousands per acre - that's do-able. :-)

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Carolyn Morales:

    @Karl B 

    N.E Florida has tons of woods, forests, springs and lakes... just saying ..I heard someone say Colorado is difficult with its mineral rights and water supply ability and allowability to dig a well ? Might want to verify. Just what I heard 

    I will definitely check out N.E. FL - I haven't been there in ages. I know they have some really neat waterways. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Clearwater, FL is my retirement location. There are about 1 million people in that area. There are tons of Retiree's which means tons of equity to work with. The beaches and woman there are phenomenal!!!! That would be my choice

     Awesome! It's definitely got the water. And I know I've been told of Clearwater prior. Are there woods in and around there also?

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @John Kraakevik:

    Kevin B., Ryan S, and especially CM,

    On another note, recently I have read about Jacksonville as a good place to invest.  The population growth as well as employment growth allegedly is excellent for investment.  What would be your opinion of that area?

    St. Pete, Tampa as well?  Ryan, what might explore in Clearwater?  Northeast Florida?

    On Alex's comment on Croatia.  A colleague of mine did buy a house in Croatia, which was dirt cheap.  I haven't investigated overseas investing.  Costa Rica is an area which particularly comes to mind.  

    Budget and cash available might be helpful for other BP's help.  

     You're right. I added a clarification to the end of the post about the 'cheap land'. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Florida but it sounds like there could be some potential areas there. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mike Reynolds:

    All of your reasons are the reasons I live in Nacogdoches Texas. The two largest lakes in the state are less than an hour drive. One is in the county. Trees in abundance and rolling hills. Ocean is just three hours away. 

    Halfway between Houston and Dallas. 

    There are three large lakes in our county alone. One has trout. 15 lakes less than two hours away. Land is cheap here even though we are a college town. The college is spending millions expanding with no end in sight. We do get some snow but it never lasts more than a few days. 

     That sounds amazing. Please tell me the names of the two largest lakes - I definitely want to research those areas. I will research Nacodoches as well. Thank you so much, Mike!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.