Why do you invest in real estate?

Why do you invest in real estate?

Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 16 votes

Whats up BiggerPockets!

I have a question for you all:

Why do you invest in real estate?

I want to hear from all the investors on here and learn what is the biggest driver for real estate investors.  

I think one of the biggest keys to discovering success in what ever you do is discovering your "Why."  I think knowing this ultimately helps you set meaningful goals, develop a plan of action and drive your overall success.  

I know for me starting out in real estate it was a lot about building short-term wealth but as time has gone by I realize that real estate investing can be much more rewarding as a long term wealth building strategy. 

So, why do you invest in real estate?

1Reply
134 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
9y

I've got nothing better to do, and I enjoy dealing with abusive tenants and dishonest contractors!  :D

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    My "Why" is to, eventually, be able to spend more time with my family with passive rental income. To be able to have my children be a part of my team when they grow up and pass it along to them. But, most importantly, I want my children to be proud of what their Dad does for a living and see me as a success so that they know that their dreams are achievable as well.
  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 911 votes
    9y

    I'm investing in real estate because I want to build a legacy for my family for generations. I want to change communities and give families a safe and clean place to live. I want to help others invest in real estate as well. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    @Antoine Martel That's an amazing "Why!"  I wish you luck as you go on that journey and I would love to hear more about how you are doing that!

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    I've got nothing better to do, and I enjoy dealing with abusive tenants and dishonest contractors!  :D

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    @Jason D. I love that you are involving your children in you investing!  

    When I have children I plan to do the same. I have heard some people buying an investment property for their child the day they are born so that when the child becomes old enough they can teach them how to invest in real estate through managing the property hands-on!

    I think this is a cool concept and someone should create a book or educational course behind it because it is so important to teach our children these things.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    @JD Martin to each their own lol!

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y

    I thought about this for a while.  Came up with an answer...finally.  

                                      "I don't remember."

    I can't remember how I go from where I started to where I am right now either.  I know why I'm here now though:

    1 - I have a series of financial goals to accomplish for my family

    2 - I enjoy REI.

    3 - I have a series of financial needs to accomplish in order to do a number of things outside of my family

    4 - REI is fun

    5 - I like the challenge and I like the problem solving

    6 - REI is a lot of fun

    7 - I like meeting other REI, I like helping other REI.

    8 - I grew to realize that if you know what you're doing, REI has the lowest risk with the highest return of any other type of investing

    9 - I like meeting other REI

    10 - I like helping other REI.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    to have control over my family's financial future

  • Robb AlmyPro Member
    Investor · Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    Freedom and the challenge of it all. There is always something to learn and things are constantly changing. 

  • Oxford, NC · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    Financial Freedom is my why
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 311 posts · 150 votes
    9y

    make a lot of money 

  • Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 151 posts · 101 votes
    9y

    Because passive income from a variety of different sources (multiple rentals) is more stable than a single W2 income source.

    Also, we don't want to have to work 9-5. We want to spend our time with our kids!

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    @Robb Almy I love that you are committed to the educational part of real estate investing.  @Marco Santarelli would appreciate that.  "Always be a perpetual learner!" 

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    @Joe Villeneuve Ha ha "I don't remember."  It sounds like you got your "why" now (10 of them to be exact!) and that is what is important.

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 295 posts · 229 votes
    9y
    My why is because I love my small town and I want to help improve the community. There's a cute downtown area where railroad tracks and an Amtrak station are situated and I absolutely fell in love with this town four years ago. There's definitely areas and streets that have run down homes and my goal is to purchase them and fix them up and make them into QUALITY rentals. That'll also help push out the crime and really help develop a closer community amongst neighbors.
  • Developer · Little Ferry, NJ · Member since 2016 · 426 posts · 226 votes
    9y

    My "Why" is because I want bring more positive energy to the world and build something for my family name. I want to develop big units and help the communities. Currently, looking to grow my company exponentially and gain connections and the only way to do that is to be a positive influence in the world so that way you stick out and gain recognition. Don't get me wrong the money is great and there will be LOTS LOTS more to be made once the market corrects itself and all the newbies go back into hiding, but it's all about doing something good and helping others. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 658 votes
    9y

    1. Freedom

    2. Best game in the world

    3. You help people to get home - hopefully better and more affordable

    ps I love the "why" - I love dealing with crazy tenants and cheating contractors 

  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Practical answer - Increase wealth for here and now as well as for my kids Fun answer - Thrill of making deals
    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    I was booted out of the International Physicist's Consortium because I theorized that the quantum wave length of cobalt 7 added to the instability of the linear mass of Wall Street's hyper volatility leading to the melt down in 2008. So, I had to go find a job and real estate investing was the only one that would have me after such a shameful rejection of my assertion. 

  • Investor · Hartselle, AL · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    I'm an IT engineer and I enjoy what I do but, but I desire to achieve and build more. My initial plan is to create enough passive income to replace my current income (and keep growing it) so I can use my time to turn ideas into products that I can sell to the masses. The nice thing about it is I can fail almost infinitely and still live quite well with the passive income. The drive behind it all is to put myself in a position that I can influence at a large scale. I truly enjoy giving back and/or educating.

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 589 posts · 275 votes
    9y
    My motivation to pursue real estate is to build a life for my family and leave a legacy for my kids and a business for them to inherit when they get older.
  • Springfield, IL · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    To be entirely honest, I've had a lot of mixed feelings about where my motives lie.  It feels like I'm stuck in some sort of limbo between "I want to make a lot of money" and "I really want to help a lot of people.

    On one hand, there sits a burning desire to help people, which has been a part of my personality for a long time.

    On the other hand squats a selfish guilt in wanting to make a large amount of money. Why? Well, if I didn't have to worry about money, I could further my other pursuits (become a financial adviser, build a financial business focused around helping those in crisis, and a little bit of rubbing it in every person's face that has told me I can't do it).

    I'm still wrestling with this moral dilemma, but one day I'll have it sorted out and could give a more concrete answer.  As it stands right now, I just want to stop working 70+ hours a week at a job that leaves me no free time to focus on my future marriage and possible family.  If I could do that, I would be infinitely happier.

  • Akron, OH · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    Mine is also financial freedom so that I can spend more time with my family and be involved in local organizations that give back to the communities.  Also, I sincerely love houses, especially old houses and their amazing architecture.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Seminole, FL · Member since 2014 · 85 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    Financial Freedom and time & money for my family and me to do cool things (snowboarding, travelling to national parks, etc.). 

    Here's how we do it...

    1. Save 40% of our earned income
    2. Invest half into index funds
    3. Invest the other half into real estate
    4. And all passive/portfolio income gets reinvested
  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Money

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.