Coolest Thing You've Found in an Investment Property

Coolest Thing You've Found in an Investment Property

Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 369 posts · 233 votes

What's going on BP?  Just curious to know what some of the interesting things are that you've found in a property you bought?  Recently picked up a "hoarder house" from a tax sale and pulled out a couple of vintage sewing machines and an antique chest patented in the 1800s.  Pretty sure I could have found some other things, but there was no way I was going through all of that trash.  A buddy of mines is in the process of buying a house with a couple of antique cars.  Hasn't closed it yet, but when he does, he will have a nice set! What about you guys?  Anything interesting?!

2Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
9y

Rent. 

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Saraland, AL · Member since 2013 · 93 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    I just found a $350 Filson's computer bag.

  • Developer · Saraland, AL · Member since 2013 · 93 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    I just found a $350 Filson's computer bag.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    blueprints and the construction contract from the 1920's when the home was built

  • Rental Property Investor · Hoschton, GA · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 32 votes
    9y
    Not cool but I found $400 worth of scrapped copper pipe in a tool shed once. I was happy.
  • Developer · Little Ferry, NJ · Member since 2016 · 426 posts · 226 votes
    9y

    I found a workout machine... Sold it for 800$.. Then a Tredclimber stepmill.. Sold it for 400$... Then a foosball table, sold for 150$. Then a paint ball gun 100$... Then I scraped the older steam furnance... 150$... then a couple of chairs here and there for the patio... 50$, Limestone for decorating the outside 100$. This all isn't cool... but I mean, in a short sale where the people don't give a crap anymore, they leave all their stuff and go hahaha. I made a couple bucks just selling their stuff on Letgo and CL. 

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 369 posts · 233 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mateusz Prawdzik:

    I found a workout machine... Sold it for 800$.. Then a Tredclimber stepmill.. Sold it for 400$... Then a foosball table, sold for 150$. Then a paint ball gun 100$... Then I scraped the older steam furnance... 150$... then a couple of chairs here and there for the patio... 50$, Limestone for decorating the outside 100$. This all isn't cool... but I mean, in a short sale where the people don't give a crap anymore, they leave all their stuff and go hahaha. I made a couple bucks just selling their stuff on Letgo and CL. 

     Nice!  I'm going to have to check Letgo. That's my first time hearing about the site.

  • Developer · Little Ferry, NJ · Member since 2016 · 426 posts · 226 votes
    9y

    @Michael Hayes It is an APP. Easy and quick to use. Definitely recommend it. Sold lots of things thru Letgo

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 369 posts · 233 votes
    9y

    Almost slipped my mind, but the very first property I did back in 2006 I found this huge, old wagon wheel.  The only thing we could figure out it was used for was farming, but online they resell decently.  I kept it all this time and just now looking to sell it.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    A toy pedal tractor, however the owner wanted to keep that.  Probably the best was a Schwinn Sting Ray Bicycle. Sold it to my neighbor and she loves it.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y

    Rent. 

  • Investor · Leesburg, FL · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 86 votes
    9y

    Found a $500 Scotty Cameron putter :) 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    We once found the original eighth-grade graduation certificate from 1920-something for one of the original homeowner's kids. My wife framed it and if/when we ever sell the house it will go with it. The house changed hands a number of times and I tried doing some cursory online searching to see if I could hunt down the person or their descendants, but no luck. I'm sure if I had time to do it geneaology-style I could get them hunted down, but that will have to wait until I retire :)

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 292 posts · 280 votes
    9y

    $15,500. 

    Apartment complex was advertised as 38 units. Appraiser appraised at 38 units. 

    The afternoon that the deal closed, we began posting notices on doors...39 apartments. Counted them again. 39 apartments.  

    I got 39 units for the price of 38 units. 

    So we "found" $15,500. 

    That counts, right? 

    DL 

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Maybe nothing cool, but funny stuff. Found hidden porn a few times. Had a tenant leave behind a car (worth $500). Had a tenant leave behind at least 1000 DVD's and video games along with a few video game counsels. 

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 369 posts · 233 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Todd Dexheimer:

    Maybe nothing cool, but funny stuff. Found hidden porn a few times. Had a tenant leave behind a car (worth $500). Had a tenant leave behind at least 1000 DVD's and video games along with a few video game counsels. 

     NOOOO!  Haha.  Not the porn.  That's the first thing that they should have packed.  Didn't buy the house but did walk into one for a viewing and the man of the house left his "pump" on the floor and the random sex toy that was exactly in the middle of the almost empty bedroom.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Michael Hayes:
    Originally posted by @Todd Dexheimer:

    Maybe nothing cool, but funny stuff. Found hidden porn a few times. Had a tenant leave behind a car (worth $500). Had a tenant leave behind at least 1000 DVD's and video games along with a few video game counsels. 

     NOOOO!  Haha.  Not the porn.  That's the first thing that they should have packed.  Didn't buy the house but did walk into one for a viewing and the man of the house left his "pump" on the floor and the random sex toy that was exactly in the middle of the almost empty bedroom.

     I had the sheriff writ and the guy abandoned one of my places and left stacks of porn (had a wife and kids). The sheriff's with no gloves on picked up the porn and started shuffling through it. I stopped and said "you may want to put your gloves on"

  • Investor · Monroe, WI · Member since 2015 · 691 posts · 610 votes
    9y

    I've found over 20 intact whiskey bottles from the late 1800s under a duplex when I was repairing floor joists. I just found 3 old newspapers under a carpet in a bedroom closet at another duplex I am working on. They are dated August 28, 29, and 30, 1953. They are in great shape, very little wear. Carpet looked like it could have been that old...

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 369 posts · 233 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Samantha Klein:

    I've found over 20 intact whiskey bottles from the late 1800s under a duplex when I was repairing floor joists. I just found 3 old newspapers under a carpet in a bedroom closet at another duplex I am working on. They are dated August 28, 29, and 30, 1953. They are in great shape, very little wear. Carpet looked like it could have been that old...

     Those bottles must be collectibles! 

  • Investor · Monroe, WI · Member since 2015 · 691 posts · 610 votes
    9y

    @Michael Hayes Unfortunately not really, they had no labels and were in poor shape. They were not broken but most were cracked and caked with dirt. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.