How thorough are sites like Zillow, Redfin, etc compared to MLS?

6 Replies

The title pretty much says it all 

From my (limited) experience from seeing the MLS listing after seeing a property on Zillow/ Redfin/ etc. I noticed that the MLS version had more details. It wasn't that the Redfin version was not accurate as much as many more fields were missing.

Originally posted by @Russell Brazil :

redfin is probably 97% accurate. Zillow 90%

Are you saying Redfin in inaccurate or do they just not have all the details as the MLS?

I've never had Redfin be wrong about anything. 

Originally posted by @Chris Ayers :
Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

redfin is probably 97% accurate. Zillow 90%

Are you saying Redfin in inaccurate or do they just not have all the details as the MLS?

I've never had Redfin be wrong about anything. 

I find, and Im estimating of course, that they have inaccurate information about 3% of the time. Anytime you have one source pulling information from a database there are going to be errors. 

Russell Brazil, Real Estate Agent in Maryland (#648402), Virginia (#0225219736), District of Columbia (#SP98375353), and Massachusetts (#9​0​5​2​3​4​6)
(301) 893-4635

Redfin is a licensed brokerage in most of the market it operates in. 

Their data is pulled and refreshed directly from MLS (MRIS in my DC/MD/VA region), so it's as accurate as the listing agent enters it in the multiple listing service. 

Disclosure: I'm a licensed realtor with Redfin so I can tell you what I know from experience. 

@Bilal Badar I feel like one of the things I keep hearing is how MLS access is so great as an investor and if these sites match the MLS what exactly is the *added* benefit of the MLS when browsing for deals?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.