Dickinson South of Houston - How's the outlook?

5 Replies

Good evening, BP. I've been receiving several good leads from wholesalers in the Houston area that are specific to the little town of Dickinson. I grew up in Katy and have lived in Pearland, Conroe, Almeda Genoa area but all of that was over 15 years ago. League City was all the rage and Dickinson had never been heard of. 

Has any of that changed? Has the populous finally reached down south far enough to make a small town like this worth investing in? If so, what kind of returns are to be had?

When I've driven down that way on 45 I'm amazed at the amount of new retail and office development in the area. I think there's even a new hospital down there. But the new development seems to be concentrated in the NASA/Clear Lake area down to the northern part of League City. Once you get past that you run into a lot of farmland and RV dealers and stuff like that. Then it picks up again as you approach Galveston.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt. It's been about a year since I've been down that way, and I've never driven around Dickinson itself. I do know that area was hit pretty hard by Harvey.

Dickinson was hit very hard by Harvey and I don’t think people realize how bad.  Pretty sad driving around the area with all of the dumpsters in the front yards.  I’d say Dickinson hasn’t seen the growth of League City and areas like Friendswood.  More of a rural feel to it still.  Wholesalers have been marketing this area pretty hard and I bought a deal down there recently.  The appraiser called me yesterday and told me for the first time he’s really having a tough time with a rehabbed appraised value.  

Thanks guys for the info!

@Kevin Roberts , I'd love to follow along with your Dickinson project. Sounds like its going to have some hurdles.

It's been a slow grind but the Dickinson project is close to finished. Hope to have it on the market in the next 2 weeks. Interesting comps from realtor. Initial comps with discount in the area indicated a $260,000 ARV, appraiser came in at $235,000. My recent meeting with the realtor shows we can list around $275,000 so we'll give it a shot. Oversized lot on the canal right off of Dickinson Bayou. Biggest struggle was keeping crews down there because my guys are all in Houston.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here