What rough beast slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

28 Replies

I went for a walk yesterday in the nicer parts of this town, in Shadyside where the money is in such deep pockets that it's mildewed. It's as high as $1400 a month over there to rent a 1-bedroom, unheard-of prices for my area.

But the signs are everywhere. Home sales are slowing in California. Hotel prices are dropping in Vegas. The MLS has withered as a source for good deals. Experienced investors have stopped borrowing money and are paying down their debts. All these and more have been discussed here on Bigger Pockets in recent weeks. Many see it as a sign of an economic downturn, but a few, a grim few, know that it all means much, much more.

The world as we know it is coming to an end. I say unto ye, brothers and sisters: the seals are breaking.

Will we pass into a dark age so total, so all-consuming, the light of the world be so dimmed, that we will forget even to read and write?

It's happened before. It will happen again.

Maybe we can save a remnant of a remnant when the dark chaotic waters wash over us. I'm asking all of you to help. Tell us, wise investors, what's your plan? What is your final, final plan for the end of days, the abandonment of the Covenant, the awakening of Cthulhu, the approach of Nibiru. What will you do when hope is lost and all we have left to remember our humanity is utter, black despair?

Originally posted by @Jim K. :

I went for a walk yesterday in the nicer parts of this town, in Shadyside where the money is in such deep pockets that it's mildewed. It's as high as $1400 a month over there to rent a 1-bedroom, unheard-of prices for my area.

But the signs are everywhere. Home sales are slowing in California. Hotel prices are dropping in Vegas. The MLS has withered as a source for good deals. Experienced investors have stopped borrowing money and are paying down their debts. All these and more have been discussed here on Bigger Pockets in recent weeks. Many see it as a sign of an economic downturn, but a few, a grim few, know that it all means much, much more.

The world as we know it is coming to an end. I say unto ye, brothers and sisters: the seals are breaking.

Will we pass into a dark age so total, so all-consuming, the light of the world be so dimmed, that we will forget even to read and write?

It's happened before. It will happen again.

Maybe we can save a remnant of a remnant when the dark chaotic waters wash over us. I'm asking all of you to help. Tell us, wise investors, what's your plan? What is your final, final plan for the end of days, the abandonment of the Covenant, the awakening of Cthulhu, the approach of Nibiru. What will you do when hope is lost and all we have left to remember our humanity is utter, black despair?

I've read the bible. God wins. End of story. Have a pleasant night.

@Mike M.  

So I guess that means you wouldn't recommend laying any of these by...

LOL. It isn't a good sign if you are around after the fact. I just don't think it is imminent. ;-)

@Jim K.

I still plan on using my life savings for the platinum level McRib coaching package. 

I'll slip the surly bonds on traditional investing, dance on the silvered wing of infinite CoC return, and touch the face of no money, no skills, and three hours of work per year real estate investing.

Or at least that's what the guy on the YouTube ad told me.

Investor sentiment.. self fulfilling prophecy.. in the meantime I had the best year of my career and the year aint over yet. :)   

Originally posted by @Jason D. :
@Jim K. I have a flashlight and a lifetime supply of AA batteries, I'm ready!

Those new tactical flashlights might just be bright enough to blind Cthulhu temporarily and give you a chance to escape. Gotta look into that.

Originally posted by @Bill F. :

@Jim K.

I still plan on using my life savings for the platinum level McRib coaching package. 

I'll slip the surly bonds on traditional investing, dance on the silvered wing of infinite CoC return, and touch the face of no money, no skills, and three hours of work per year real estate investing.

Or at least that's what the guy on the YouTube ad told me.

We few, we happy few McRib disciples...

Keep the faith, Bill.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

Investor sentiment.. self fulfilling prophecy.. in the meantime I had the best year of my career and the year aint over yet. :)   

No fear, no Nibiru, no problem. I understand.

(A'right Jay! I hope your year just gets better!)

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

No fear, no Nibiru, no problem. I understand.

(A'right Jay! I hope your year just gets better!)

well if the sun shines and the creek don't rise in December I will take down my biggest project to date.. But while others are sitting around waiting for the doom we are busy working..  

"...we are never left with nothing as long as we retain the freedom to choose how we will respond." -Harold Kushner

The plan is good locations, add value, cash flow, prudent debt, and reserves.  Like Jay, I have invested a lot in 2018...mainly MHP, SS, and select MF.  For many, certain real estate investments are a flight to safety versus alternatives.  There are lots of imminent recession posts on BP (mainly from non-investors) but very few discussions on what members are doing about it.

@Mike Dymski

How are you going to add value when Kukulkan crawls down Chichen Itza? As the mountains collapse and the seas rise, how are you pick your good locations? What is prudent debt when Jesus is waving around his terrible swift sword? Who gives a hoot about 4/2/2 SFR w/MBFRP and FNCD YD when Naglfar sails to the plains of Vigrid?

Image result for Kukulkan
@Jim K. You missed your calling Jim . You should have been a novelist ! My approach is simpler than most I suppose . I figured out that I came into this world broke and naked and best I can tell I will leave the same way so anything extra I can get in this short life is a bonus for me and the Last I checked I’m still breathing and able to move so I am going to make hay while the sun is shining .the wise words of a great philosopher and theologian named Ted nuggent sum up my strategy .. “ your born over here at point A .. and you die or here at point B , the goal is to kick maximum a$& in between these two points . “

History repeats itself, over and over. Pay attention. Watch the market like a hawk. Deploy capital carefully, yet have reserves. Cash is always king when the economy is in the toilet. 

And choose wisely with important decisions like how much to stock up on 9mm, .40 cal and 5.56 to protect the homestead when things sour.  

God Bless America!

@Dennis M.

Thank you for your kind words. But what are you going to do when the sun refuses to shine?

I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguished, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space,
Rayless, and pathless, and the icy earth
Swung blind and blackening in the moonless air;
Morn came and went—and came, and brought no day,
And men forgot their passions in the dread
Of this their desolation; and all hearts
Were chilled into a selfish prayer for light:
And they did live by watchfires—and the thrones,
The palaces of crowned kings—the huts,
The habitations of all things which dwell,
Were burnt for beacons; cities were consumed,
And men were gathered round their blazing homes
To look once more into each other's face...
Originally posted by @Dave G. :

History repeats itself, over and over. Pay attention. Watch the market like a hawk. Deploy capital carefully, yet have reserves. Cash is always king when the economy is in the toilet. 

And choose wisely with important decisions like how much to stock up on 9mm, .40 cal and 5.56 to protect the homestead when things sour.  

God Bless America!

FREEDOM THE F*** ON, BROTHER!!!

@Mike Dymski

How are you going to add value when Kukulkan crawls down Chichen Itza? As the mountains collapse and the seas rise, how are you pick your good locations? What is prudent debt when Jesus is waving around his terrible swift sword? Who gives a hoot about 4/2/2 SFR w/MBFRP and FNCD YD when Naglfar sails to the plains of Vigrid?

I will build pyramids, mangers, and harbors.

Originally posted by @Thomas S. :

As a true blue atheist I don't pay any attention to this type of babbling but if it were to happen no one will continue to exict so who cares.

Do you really have to believe in any sort of God to believe that nothing lasts forever?

Originally posted by @Mike Dymski :
Originally posted by @Jim K.:

@Mike Dymski

I will build pyramids, mangers, and harbors.

I'm officially changing your name to Peter, Mike. Build on, build high, build strong, and borrow lots of money to do it. What could go wrong?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you