Cases where a land lord comes close to losing it all?

Cases where a land lord comes close to losing it all?

Real Estate Professional · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 225 posts · 74 votes

I'm in the classic situation of deciding whether to pay down mortgages vs refinancing and buying more. A recent BP podcast featured a guest talking about just that, how he wanted to be on the safe side versus getting massive and having a 30% chance of collapsing.

In my case, on one property I had 4 evictions in 4 years on one property (ugh...2 of those tenants were inherited). Went back to school and unemployed for 6+ months. Some "life" stuff came up and added more debt. 

I was able to rack up the necessary cc debt to cover everything, including rehabbing the bad property and selling it into a strong market. Could have been bad though. I made 2x my money on the bad property and it makes me think what would have happened if my timing was off...

I'm just worried when a recession comes around what can happen. I mean, if you have enough DSCR, reserve (say 1 year PITI) and the right team in place you should be okay?

What do you think?

0Reply
7 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Lodi, CA · Member since 2018 · 206 posts · 115 votes
    7y

    @Alex Silang

      I think most people ask themselves this question. I’ve staggered my loans; couple 10-year loans, 15, 20, and 30. It’s lowered my cash flow but what I make I use for reserves and reinvest. 

      Now I get better rates on the shorter teemed loans and forces me to pay them off early. 

      Just my strategy. Hope it helps!

    - Mike

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.