New to Real Estate · Saint Cloud, MN · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 21 votes
Hey everyone! So I have a full ride for any college I want through the military. I have no real push to go to school but being that it’s free to me I want to take advantage of the opportunity. I’m wonder what degree I could go for that would assist me best in my real estate investing career. Right now I’m thinking finance but I’m also considering accounting, business management, entrepreneurship, real estate (yes my school actually has a degree for this), general business. Those are just some that are offered that I’m looking at. Although real estate seems like a no-brainer, it covers little bits of many other areas and I don’t know if it’s better to specialize in one of the other areas, or learn only a bit of it all. I have a huge interest in anything involving money/investing, I’m great with numbers and people management. So any one of these would make a job I love. Any thoughts? Anyone have a degree in one of these areas that can say how it has or hasn’t helped them in investing?? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.
Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
Hi Tanner,
I would go outside of the box. I think you go with an engineering or computer science degree. Pick whatever degree that will allow you to get a very high paying job when you graduate. I have taken several real estate classes in college and its a joke. Nothing you will learn in those classes will prepare you for the real world. In the real world, you need the money and you need a high paying job. Without that, you can't invest in real estate.
I think out of the business degrees you mentioned, business management would probably be the best since it would teach you skills around operations, people, and project management, which are all important in real estate investing.
Real estate degrees would be good too, though those degrees tend to be more targeted from what I've seen (which could be good if you know what type of investing you want to do).
A couple other degrees to consider: Civil Engineering, or Construction Management if you're interested in real estate development/rehab/contracting.
New to Real Estate · Saint Cloud, MN · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 21 votes
7y
@Nick C. Yes, I can minor an just about anything. I plan to major in one area and minor in another because many requirements overlap. Maybe major in business management and minor in real estate or entrepreneurship? Or the other way around. Not sure and that’s what I’m trying to decide.
Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
Hi Tanner,
I would go outside of the box. I think you go with an engineering or computer science degree. Pick whatever degree that will allow you to get a very high paying job when you graduate. I have taken several real estate classes in college and its a joke. Nothing you will learn in those classes will prepare you for the real world. In the real world, you need the money and you need a high paying job. Without that, you can't invest in real estate.
New to Real Estate · Saint Cloud, MN · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 21 votes
7y
@Frank Wong well said, I think that’s definitely a good idea. My aim was pointed in that direction, you just said it better than I could. I’m hoping to find a career that pays well but is on my area of interest which is why I’m looking at the degrees that I am. I have always had an Interest in business and finance so if I can find a good job in that area.. we’ll, that’s the goal. Also, thanks for the input on the real estate classes, that’s the vibe I’ve been getting form others who have taken them as well.
Rental Property Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 218 posts · 138 votes
7y
@Tanner Kier I agree with most of the posters. You can either go for a Business major and pair it with: Economics, Data Analytics, Computer Science or Engineering. Graduate into a job making big bucks that you would find interesting.
Or you can do one of those at a school on this list, and double major in one of those plus real estate.
Rental Property Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 218 posts · 138 votes
7y
@Sean McCluskey Also, FYI, if you have the GPA in one of these majors, you can get Finance internships and then a full time job, without majoring in Finance.
I switched from Computer Science to Business and a Finance concentration, during my Junior year. Best decision I made in college because I enjoyed b school much more than designing computer chips.
Hot tip: You want to go meet the kids leading clubs (Finance club, Computer programming club, etc) in these different majors BEFORE committing, and see which group you belong to.
New to Real Estate · Saint Cloud, MN · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 21 votes
7y
@Sean McCluskey those are some great tips and advice! I appreciate your input, this is a big decision for me and I want to do it right. Great idea on meeting with the club leaders, I’m definitely going to take advantage of that
Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y
@Tanner Kier I’m with @Frank Wong, study any major that gets you a high paying job.
A degree in “business management” or “entrepreneurship” is sort of useless. Finance or accounting would also be fine. Software/computer science likely pays the most.
Don’t study real estate, that’s generally pointless too. If you study construction management that would be good.
Rental Property Investor · Pompano beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 478 posts · 194 votes
7y
Take advantage of any opportunities to learn & practice public speaking & English vocabulary so you will enter real estate well spoken & ready to present your ideas.
New to Real Estate · Saint Cloud, MN · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 21 votes
7y
@Dylan DeBellis Not a bad idea, @Caleb Heimsoth and @Kwaku Farkye had the same thought I think. Using college to learn how to take care of the rehab, which is a huge part of investing in real estate. Although, I think they had more of a point on the management part of it rather than the construction itself. This also kind of pushes me towards a business management focus, to learn how to manage people in my investing business.
Real Estate Syndicator · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 907 votes
7y
My opinion is to go for a finance or business related degree. Depending on which type of real estate you are looking to get into, if you can become an expert at underwritting deals you will set yourself apart.
New to Real Estate · Saint Cloud, MN · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 21 votes
7y
@Rita Medeiros I haven't thought of the benefits of public speaking, I know my college offers many courses in that subject and I see where that is important, especially with presentations like you said. I will for sure consider taking some, great perspective on the topic.
Accountant · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 5 votes
7y
@Tanner Kier I’m coming in a little biased, but I personally recommend accounting.
I just became interested in real estate this year, and from the books I’ve been reading, I’m already familiar with a majority of the ratios and terminology in real estate from the financial side. I already know how to do some things, like taxes, and from reading the posts in the forums, finding/hiring a CPA is an important but expensive cost in real estate...which you could eliminate if you could do it yourself. It is also a stable job with a very good income and hours to help you save the money to invest. And in my experience in college, i’ve had to take a lot of business/management electives which could help as well. But any of the areas you or the other members replied with are also solid ideas! Good luck!
New to Real Estate · Saint Cloud, MN · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 21 votes
7y
@Daniel Lichtenfels You bring up a good point with removing the CPA expenses by doing it myself. Definitely a new way of looking at it, as I mentioned accounting is one of the big ones I'm looking at. I love that you added your personal experience with college and how it can benefit. Did you find the business management classes useful? what specific skills did they teach?
Accountant · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 5 votes
7y
@Tanner Kier They did help with some things, like building a team and working with them (assigning and delegating certain tasks etc.) which could help when it comes to building a real estate team to work with. A specific example i found really helpful in one of my managerial classes... i had a project where we had to create a fake business proposal with realistic numbers/projections/research to present to the bank. I saw another member mention public speaking, which was a mandatory class at my school, and i would recommend taking that as well, if its available!
Overall, the business classes were definitely useful, but i personally do not feel i got enough out of them that id pursue a major in it. However, i am glad it was offered as a minor, and i would recommend getting a minor as well, assuming you have the time for the additional credits while working.
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 284 posts · 184 votes
7y
My initial thoughts would be entrepreneurship and business management. But then again, you don't need a college degree to be successful. Looking back, I think college is overrated.
Hell... I barely even got an AA degree in Graphic Design. Yet I started and ran a successful Design Agency working with the biggest brands of the world (Disney, Sony, Nike, Mattel, etc).... Learned how to invest in Real Estate and started a RE company with my wife (Realtor/Broker).... Developed a unique product that was featured on Shark Tank (now in major big box stores like Walmart)... Decided to shift gears this year and dive back into real estate because I realized its my true passion and true path to financial independence ( Right now, Im involved with new construction/development of MF units in Los Angeles ).
I guess my point is... I strongly believe that you should double major in Passion and Drive! These are the most important factors you need to succeed in any endeavor ...everything else you can hire out. LOL ;)