My proof that Biggerpockets works

My proof that Biggerpockets works

Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes

So I've been posting on this board for ~5 years now. I started knowing almost nothing about real estate (and still know very little tbh) but I spent a lot of time in the community and the immersion alone helped me grow. I almost exclusively post reply's on the board and rarely post new topic discussions but yesterday a friend was apparently trolling me and found my very first BP post, it was embarrassing to see, but it was interesting to see how much can change for those who spend time on this board. (I'll include that post at the bottom)

So I wanted to make this post to reflect on my time spent and hopefully encourage those beginners who don't post as much as they should or have a hard time gaining traction in this place. Participating in Biggerpockets has given me a tremendous return on investment, and it will for you as well if you commit. 

This initial post is nothing special, it's vague and not unlike a thousand other posts from beginners we see each day. Hardly anyone even posted on it, and yet I continued to inject my annoying comments into this forum over and over. I'm sure I've pissed a LOT of people off along they way, but I've also been fortunate to help a lot of people along the way as well, I enjoy doing both of these equally ;) ;) 

I stuck with real estate and now own 8 SFR and a 24 unit multifamily. I've made a ton of real life close friends through this site. Last year I started writing for the BP blog which has been incredibly rewarding and then I was asked to be on the BP podcast (and CRUSHED it!). This year they made me a moderator as well.

While bragging is fun, my real point is that this community will mirror your efforts. If you lurk, you can learn a lot, but if you interact, you can go stratospheric. It's not always that direct sometimes you have to put in a lot of work for very little return but over time it compounds in your favor significantly. I urge beginners to invest their time into this place, it's given me some of the highest returns on investment of anything I've done. 

I can't tag all the people who I would like to, lots of people have helped me selflessly and I'm grateful for them. Even more of you have tolerated my endless pot-stirring and smack talk and I'm double grateful for that.

@Mindy Jensen @Lee Huffman @Spencer Cornelia @Gary Crawford @Neil Henderson @Russell Brazil, all the Moderators, @dawn brenengen, @jay hinrichs, @j scott, @matt faircloth, and so many more. Thank you all very much. (if I forgot to name you and you're offended....good) 

Ok that's all, just neat to see this progress, I love this place and thought I would share. I will see you all at BPCON! 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

ORIGINAL POST \/

I've been reading, dreaming, and planning a real estate career for a while now. Making some moves, but on the cusp of doing more. I'm 30 years old living in Fayetteville/Fort Bragg North Carolina

I bought a condo a few years ago (which I didn't get a great deal on) for $65K, I just started renting that one out.

Last month I bought a house for my fiance. This was a foreclosure, I paid 54k and I believe I should have an easy 45k in equity in it, but I can't rent that one out as I need it for my family. I plan to pay it down quick to have access to the equity.

My long term goal is to buy enough rental properties to live (very) comfortably in, but my short term goal is to flip houses as a full time job. I'm having difficulty making this transition though, as many people do I'm sure.

I currently make pretty good money working full time (~70k/year) and I have excellent credit, so buying houses with conventional funding is easy, and building cash is easy. However I work a monster schedule so time to flip on the side is pretty much non-existent.

I come to BP for help! In my head, the perfect option would be to find a mentor who I could work for and teach me but no such opportunity has become apparent yet. How can I make the transition and flip houses full time time and give up my job security? I'm generally not a man who lets fear stop him from making moves but this has been tricky.

Also, I have pretty good knowledge of improvements, housework, and renovations in general. So it's not foreign to me, and I'll be getting my real estate license in the summer to try and find better deals. Sorry for the long and chaotic post!!!

28Reply
72 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Spencer Cornelia:

@Alexander Felice Just imagine how many more units and properties you'd have if you spent time marketing for properties and less time at the barber shop

Bwahaha! We have a special corner just for him in the moderator's lounge. And I couldn't vote for his post because he might not be able to fit his head out the door :D

All seriousness, absolutely. You usually get out what you put in, with interest. You don't see too many 1000 post people here saying "I'm still trying to figure out my first deal" or "I can't find any deals". You do see a lot of people with 10 posts and they give up. That tends to be the difference.

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    nice post.. its a great community..  do we live in a great country or what..  freedom to choose to be real estate entrepreneurs and the ability to actually do it.. once your put our mind to it.. 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Felice Just imagine how many more units and properties you'd have if you spent time marketing for properties and less time at the barber shop

  • Specialist · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2016 · 390 posts · 496 votes
    7y

    Listen! You two @Alexander Felice and @Spencer Cornelia would be billionaires by now if you spent less time in the gym and more time talking to ME!

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Spencer Cornelia:

    @Alexander Felice Just imagine how many more units and properties you'd have if you spent time marketing for properties and less time at the barber shop

    Bwahaha! We have a special corner just for him in the moderator's lounge. And I couldn't vote for his post because he might not be able to fit his head out the door :D

    All seriousness, absolutely. You usually get out what you put in, with interest. You don't see too many 1000 post people here saying "I'm still trying to figure out my first deal" or "I can't find any deals". You do see a lot of people with 10 posts and they give up. That tends to be the difference.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Felice Inspiring post! As someone who is just about to submit their 2nd post after lurking for such a long time this is great to hear and makes me anxious to get more involved. Great work.

  • Alexander FelicePro Member
    OP
    Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:
    Originally posted by @Spencer Cornelia:

    @Alexander Felice Just imagine how many more units and properties you'd have if you spent time marketing for properties and less time at the barber shop

    Bwahaha! We have a special corner just for him in the moderator's lounge. And I couldn't vote for his post because he might not be able to fit his head out the door :D

    All seriousness, absolutely. You usually get out what you put in, with interest. You don't see too many 1000 post people here saying "I'm still trying to figure out my first deal" or "I can't find any deals". You do see a lot of people with 10 posts and they give up. That tends to be the difference.

    WELL SAID! 

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Alexander Felice

    Thank you for your post. I'm new in real estate (but have an old passion for real estate investment). I'm totally new on Biggerpockets, my mentor refer it to me. I'm actually struggling to figured out, how it works. Can't find any REI Association meeting near me to attend, even 3hours away in another cities. So your post is an encouragement to stay connected

  • New to Real Estate · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Felice you've definitely helped inspire me, much respect man.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2018 · 86 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Felice Thanks for sharing! It takes a lot of encouragement and many times constant reminders that this RE opportunity is real.

    The challenges make us better and talking these through via BP makes it all easier. So, bravo! To anyone else reading through let’s continue to commit

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Alexander Felice nice post. I joined this site almost 3 years ago, and have seen so much change in that time. I went from owning long distance single family property to local multifamily and single family property. A lot can change in a small amount of time

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    Love this sort of stuff! Keeps the motivation going strong. Thanks @ Alexander Felice! 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    Posting on Biggerpockets.com is like printing money to me. I think thats true for many people on here. 

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 362 posts · 93 votes
    7y

    Real estate investing should be treated like a marathon. Keep inspiring others in the community @Alexander Felice

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Virtually Everything I know about RE I learned on here . I knew nothing whatsoever about landlording or buying investment properties. There is not a problem or issue that somebody else hasn’t gone through on here at some point and the solutions are at our fingertips .Now I have the confidence to run my business . It has given me the tools And knowledge I needed to transform my life in this field .

  • Realtor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 42 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Felice love the life story. I'm in my 6th month on BP. On my 2nd SFR. So, did you get your realtor license? And did that help any?

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y

    It's cool to look back to where we were. Cooler to grow and improve and share.

    I've always enjoyed your posts, Alex.  Couldn't agree more.  Thanks for this.

  • new york city · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Felice great job on your post, the encouraging message is good to hear for us beginners trying to figure out how to get started.

  • Alexander FelicePro Member
    OP
    Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Rhonda McDaniel:

    @Alexander Felice love the life story. I'm in my 6th month on BP. On my 2nd SFR. So, did you get your realtor license? And did that help any?

    HA! I did not get my realtor license, and I've never flipped a house. 

    Amazing how things change, I'm quite happy I did neither of those things. I remember that when I made this post I was in a state of work that I loathed, so I really wanted out. My guess is that LOTS of people on this site look to real estate as a pathway to freedom from jobs they hate, and it CAN BE, but it's almost universally a slow game. 5 years later I still work a day job but I learned that for me it was better to just find a job I liked better and keep learning real estate on the side. Everything I do is long distance so it takes very little of my time and I moved into a commercial banking career which I'm very happy with. Although it took much longer than I had wanted, the day job is now starting to get in the way of me making money in real estate and I find that a MUCH better reason for me to quit than just hating my job. 

    My strategy and understanding of investing has changed dramatically, but my obsession remains the same, and that's where most of my wins come from. 

  • Alexander FelicePro Member
    OP
    Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    It's cool to look back to where we were. Cooler to grow and improve and share.

    I've always enjoyed your posts, Alex.  Couldn't agree more.  Thanks for this.

    I tried to tag you in the original post actually, and I tried to tag you in my last post.

    I can only assume it's not working because your last name is spelled incorrectly ;) ;)  

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Felice

    Thanks so much for sharing! This is truly inspirational. It is proof that it’s so no matter how awkward or uninformed your journey starts out as, you can always learn and grow! Congratulations on your success! I guess as a newbie, I need to post more! ;)

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Felice

    This is inspirational and motivates newbies like us who have just started our journey into real estate .Congratulation

    s on your success!

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Felice this is an amazing post, thanks so much Alex! My brother and I are right where you were starting out—hope to be in your shoes someday!

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Felice Thanks a lot for the nudge. I just joined BP a few days ago, and I have been the weirdo ear hustler reading every post but never jumping in. This is my very first post, and even though im a little timid for the enjoyment of annoying the veterans on here. I will speak up from now on thanks to you. I believe it was @Brandon Turner who said it best, "if you want to do something you never done you gotta be who you never were" so a big thanks and much success!

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Anani J Gbegan what area are you in? Maybe someone near you is having a meet up that fits what you are looking for.

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Starie Moore My base market is Roanoke VA and surrounding cities.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.