Anyone thinking of retiring overseas?

2 Replies

Anyone looking into this

Perhaps one way of retiring earlier

Bali for example, cheap as chips

@Marisa R.

When you say retire overseas do you mean switching your USD for the foreign nation’s currency? Then probably not for that reason. I might go to the Caribbean’s or some island nation when I retire. A beach, umbrella, a drink...sounds like heaven!

Originally posted by @Marisa R.:

Anyone looking into this

Perhaps one way of retiring earlier

Bali for example, cheap as chips

I see this question asked more and more often in various articles and blogs.  Its certainly intriguing, but comes with pros and cons.  Not sure what geographic area you're thinking of.  You mentioned Bali. Been there. Awesome!  Lots of Australians.  I've lived in SE Asia for years. I find the nationals of most SE Asian countries are wonderful people.  Retiring reality; the honeymoon feeling of an immersion into new sights and smells eventually wears off.  Granted, the power of the dollar that works to your advantage remains a constant source of leverage, which is a plus.  However, and this is where the reality checks in.  The locals are awesome, but the government systems are generally broken and the need to navigate through those systems can be incredibly daunting to the point that that alone causes significant cultural fatigue. Finally, although there are laws on the books they don't protect you to the degree you expect in the US.  And ultimately, you are and always will be a foreigner in the host country.  I've personally witnessed many Americans who couldn't make it living in a foreign country and went home frustrated.  But those who did well have two important characteristics; they have tenacity and they are relationally oriented people. 

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you