Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 80 votes
Hey Ladies! I am a single female investor. I became interested in REI 3 years ago and bought my first property in 2018. Currently, have 5 doors--1 SFH and 1 4plex. My SFH is and Airbnb, the quad is a LTR. By the end of the year I want one more LTR but my main REI goal this year is saving for a BRRRR in 2021.
I was wondering who are the other female investors on BP. When did you all start investing? Future goals?
Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 89 votes
6y
@Justine Scheuher I have been a real estate investor for approx 10 years in the Minneapolis area. My husband and I started buying property one by one in 2011 and we have grown to a portfolio of 125 long term rental units. It's a combination of single family, small multi-family (duplexes, tri, quads) and a few 12-15 unit apartment buildings. I love it! 3 years ago I left my career as a physical therapist to pursue this full time. We've also completed about 20 flips over that time frame as well. This year we've pulled back on the flipping and started a property management company. Our goal this year is to grow the property management company, pay down debt, and keeps our eyes open to any deals that make sense. Good luck with all your endeavors!
Real Estate Agent · Metro Atlanta · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
6y
Justine, I have been an investor with my husband for 20 years. I sold the last property 3 years ago and now ready to start investing again. I like the idea of an Airbnb and my goal is to purchase 1 property this year to hold. Glad to see more women interested in investing.
Smithville, MO · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 4 votes
6y
@Justine Scheuher I am a single female (soon to be) investor as well. My goal is to get at least 1 buy and hold deal this year. Still trying to figure out the best financial leverage strategy. Do you invest in KY?
Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 89 votes
6y
@Justine Scheuher I have been a real estate investor for approx 10 years in the Minneapolis area. My husband and I started buying property one by one in 2011 and we have grown to a portfolio of 125 long term rental units. It's a combination of single family, small multi-family (duplexes, tri, quads) and a few 12-15 unit apartment buildings. I love it! 3 years ago I left my career as a physical therapist to pursue this full time. We've also completed about 20 flips over that time frame as well. This year we've pulled back on the flipping and started a property management company. Our goal this year is to grow the property management company, pay down debt, and keeps our eyes open to any deals that make sense. Good luck with all your endeavors!
Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 173 posts · 206 votes
6y
@Justine Scheuher I am a real estate investor in Miami, FL. My husband has no interest in real estate so I have taken a lead on that front. I buy, rehab, and Airbnb ("BRA"? 😂) I have 2 triplexes which I've rehabbed and rent out all three units on Airbnb, another triplex which is currently an LTR which I plan to renovate and turn into an STR soon, and a single family house that is an LTR. I'm currently looking to taking it to the next level and seeing if I can partner with someone or join a syndication focused on coliving since I believe that model is about to take off in Miami.
Property Manager · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 6 votes
6y
Hello Jean, I've been buying and holding properties for the last 16 years in Miami. I'm syndicating deals outside Miami because I find it hard to get good cap rates to justify big investments here. Open to suggestions and to analyze deals with you. I have investors backing me.
I bought my first place more than 20 years ago as a grad student to live in. I rented a room to a friend and once I moved out, I kept it as a rental. I sold it a few years ago, but bought 4 other places. All are long term rentals, two needed a bit of work before I rented them (okay one needed a lot of work). My plan is to pay them off and use the income during retirement. I might buy another one before I retire, but that depends on the market and my finances.
I bought my first property last year. It's a SFH that I am currently house hacking. Still actively saving and hoping to get my next property in the next year or two!
Hi Justine! I am planning to buy two SFR investment properties this year that I either buy and hold, or flip (minor reno) depending upon the cash flow/sales revenue. I bought a REO several years ago that I still own, and I also like tax foreclosures. I am a fan of buying properties with cash - to the extent possible, and taking on minimal (financial) risks. Best of luck to you in 2020!
Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 80 votes
6y
@Tara Jackson Get it girl! You can do it. I was SO nervous before I bought my first property, eventually I just had to pull the trigger and figure it out as I went. I actually started out with house hacking my primary residence to save money to buy my first REI. House Hacking is a great way to start (banks will lend with only 3.5% down...I found a credit union that did 5% down and No PMI). I do invest in KY (Louisville). I really like the market here.
Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 80 votes
6y
@Jean H. Heck yeah! Hearing that a female can be the lead REI in the family is really inspiring. I'm currently rehabbing my 4unit, one unit at a time and man...its tough but i'm learning a lot. I've found that Airbnb is pretty easy and can 2-3x cashflow. Unfortunately Louisville changed the laws and it makes having Airbnb very difficult, so i'll be switching over to a LTR when it becomes too much of a pain. @Rich Somers and his partners are on fire. They are doing syndications and started a great podcast--The multifamily takeoff. Feel free to reach out to them :)
Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 80 votes
6y
@Christina I. Yes! This is how I started. It's a great way to save for your next investment. I remember being soo impatient BUT waiting and saving for your next property is worth it.
Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 80 votes
6y
@Christina H. This is awesome, I like your goals. It sounds like you will be able to do it with low risk which will help you sleep at night and cashflow great!
Hi Justine, I am the RE obsessed in our marriage, hubby is cooperative but not obsessed like me :). We are pretty small time right now with 4 units but plan to add to that in the next 2-3 years. We are slow to grow at this stage in our life as we just started a small business, I have a high pressure W2 job, we’re in the middle of a slow live in flip and we have teenagers, live in California but have our rentals out of state that we self manage.
Savannah, GA · Member since 2019 · 53 posts · 22 votes
6y
@Justine Scheuher glad to here more female investors are craving more in real estate investing. I started in 2018 and love LTR. Me and my husband have a SF that we just bought currently flip hacking and a duplex that we rent out. We are determined to increase units or at least complete 3 more deals this year (wholesale, flip, or LTR). I hope to continue communication with other women who are taking the same journey.
Hi Justine, I am single female real estate investor as well. I purchased my first property in 2012 and I have done 11 transactions. I purchased, renovated and either flipped or rented them out. I currently have 4 rental properties. 3 townhouses and 1 SFH. It has been a crazy ride but I am grateful for it. Looking into doing another LTR hopefully this year.
Rental Property Investor · Buena Park, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 1 vote
5y
@Justine Scheuher
Happy New Year! I'm a newer investor with one SFH which is a rental that was a homerun as far as cash flow and was able to get a decent HELOC in a year, after forced appreciation. I was slated to buy a triplex and had a few in mind, but then the shut down happened. I plan on buying a 2-4 unit in the next few months and have 2-3 neighborhoods in mind. I've been studying and analyzing and am ready but waiting a few more months for several reasons. I decided to go with a HELOC as opposed to classic BRRR, but same general cyclical concept. Would love to link up!