Anyone else feel like the forums are losing value?

Anyone else feel like the forums are losing value?

Peter TverdovBusiness Member
Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes

I find myself browsing these forums less and less as times passes. Biggerpockets is such a machine now and while there is lots of useful advice, it's primarily aimed at newbies (who can't use the search function mind you). It's difficult to find worthwhile discussions or more advanced discussions and it wasn't that way a few years ago. The podcasts feel mostly the same (hey, I pyramided my way to 50 doors!). Anyone else feel this way? I've considered upgrading just so I can post in the forums with more serious folks but it's getting tougher to come on here and have discussions IMO. So many tire kickers or people asking ridiculous questions. 

78Reply
410 views

Most Popular Reply

Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 202 votes
6y

So this is going to sound odd.  You've become one of the 'village elders' here on BP based on the fact that you've seen and heard most of what's been posted; and you've posted over 1200 times yourself, so you've obviously been party to some great conversations.  

Based on my experience on other forums (for wildly differing subjects than this) my transition into the known voice position put me in the same situation, I felt like I wasn't getting anything out of the forum anymore... but the reality was that I was the one now putting back into the forum what I had taken out earlier.  It was my obligation to go back through and help all the people who were 'new' figure it all out; and faster than I did because now I had the forum information and ability to easily pinpoint valuable discussions for others.

You may not be getting much out of BP, but I can assure you that others are probably getting much out of you.  So please don't leave or get discouraged... it's all part of the cycle!

\

See this reply in the discussion

144 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 60 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Zeke Liston:

    Hi @Chad McLeod, I see that you're interested in the Columbus market, that's great ;) Haha, just messing.  

    HAHA... good one, Zeke!  I got a good laugh out of it.  In fairness to Columbus I’m sure it’s no different than any other market, but at least as far as BP goes it seems thar there are a lot of “hungry” realtors there.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    You're right, competition is high in Columbus, it's crazy @Chad McLeod! 

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Peter T.

    The more you know the less you absorb value and the more you give back to the community.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Chad McLeod:

    The search function doesn’t really work, IMO.  If I click on forums and type in Dallas and the first result is like 4 years old, that tells me it doesn’t work.  And that’s just an example, btw, but I’ve quit using the search function because that happens all the time.

    As for people asking questions that have already been answered — again, if the search function worked correctly it would be easier to find the answer.  Now, I agree they should look for an answer first, but it’s hard to find an answer the way things are. Also, there is a HUGE difference between having multiple threads on the same topic, and actually having answers in those threads.  Just because you see the same topic more than once doesn’t mean it was really answered. Case in point — lots of threads with people asking for PM recommendations in Cleveland, but very few actual answers.

    Lastly, I agree with the others about the cheesy salespeople.  I stopped asking questions about markets because it’s usually just a bunch of realtors trying to get my business without giving any real info.  Yeah I get you want business, but if the only time you post here is touting your market when someone asks about it, you’re essentially just spamming threads.  For whatever reason, Columbus, OH seems to be the worst of the worst.  I like to imagine it’s the Alcatraz of bad salespeople.  Only the worst of the worst get sent to Columbus.  Ok, I’m joking, but man some of them are really bad.

    I agree! I would go after a market with an increasing job and population growth. I invest and work in Columbus, Ohio.

  • Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 413 posts · 348 votes
    6y

    I did put my 3 constructive criticisms in prior posts (most important free Dennis), and did read the entire thread so far.

    I do think BP needs to look at cycles of forums and reduce some of the repetitive newbie threads/self promotion.  I believe these are some of the reasons why truly experienced, good posters havent posted in a while, along with the forums being flooded with "help me find xxx even though I bring zero value in anyway shape or form" type treads.  In order to continue to bring non-self serving, truly valuable forums, they need to be able to keep those informative, experienced, entertaining posters engaged.  Without them, it is a slippery, downward slope as many other successful forms have found out.   

  • Investor/Agent/Entrepreneur · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 564 votes
    6y

    I remember a few years ago I'd read posts simply responding to threads saying to go and search for it since it was already asked many times before. One thing that would help is making the advanced search feature free, primarily helping newbies search for the same question they're about to ask in a thread. 

    Also, some feedback from a newbie friend I was just speaking with the other day. He said that the forums are just overwhelming, doesn't know where to begin, and needs that little bit of direction and guidance of talking him through some of the avenues. I know there is great beginner material on BP, but I can imagine starting day 1 in this RE community and being overwhelmed. 

    A complete newbie forum section may be helpful to separate those that are needing basic level of support & direction, without being overwhelmed by "advanced" discussion topics that are meaningless to someone just starting out. Those more experienced can choose to help out in this section that are just starting out, I'm sure there will still be many that will lend a hand. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2016 · 922 posts · 533 votes
    6y

    Great response, Ian, but great Post, Peter T as well.  I've felt the same way you're articulating, Peter.  I do think there are some valid concerns as BP moves forward.  I've noticed a trend towards a content mill/machine that although at times provides useful content, I think waters down everything because there are conflicts of interest present.  It seems to me that BP by putting their weight behind certain viewpoints on the blog, is sort of 'sponsoring' these viewpoints.  I've noticed this more specifically in cases of Asset Protection (ie lawyers, advisors) that are providing content that attempts to walk the line of offering, but also functioning as building their brand and working on their marketing funnel.

    I've also noticed a trend in the viewpoints on the part of moderators that favors a more 'incumbent' viewpoint, especially as it relates to issues like the role of the traditional real estate agent/broker.

    @Ian Jaeger

    @Peter Tverdov

    I personally have serious concerns about the conflict of interest side of this and it does make me evaluate the time I spend on the platform.  I hope Brandon and the leadership at BP can see these forums and the site overall as a way to connect a community - and I also hope the leadership has its own business interests separate from BP's ability to drive traffic/create revenue/income, etc --- and can view BP more as a service or academic pursuit.  I think 'keeping the eye on the ball' in this way would keep the community a bit more pure and save its brand from a more insidious march towards 'selling out.' 

  • Dylan TanakaPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Detroit, MI · Member since 2008 · 455 posts · 178 votes
    6y

    @Richard Dunlop this is a great question.  As a self-proclaimed networker and lifelong student of real estate investing I somewhat agree.
      
    The main issue I personally see is the ME culture.  It's quite rare to find someone who's willing to give more than they receive.  They want to come on her, BP, and pitch their deals or try to steal customers by threadjacking.  It's a problem with business in general.  I've met many new, meaning never done a deal now, and they tell me how this business works.

    However, I choose to see the Light in every situation and look at everyone I meet, and everything I learn, whether on BP or somewhere else, can at some point positively affect my business life.

    Always give more than you take...period.

  • Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    From reading this thread and observing other threads I've gathered that this is the general outlook;

    Veteran investors/posters: I've gotten what I needed from BP or elsewhere, and I'm bored with this content and no longer wish to participate or give back to the community which helped me when I asked/needed help.  How dare BP "sell out" by making a valuable service free by including advertisements that I do not wish to see.

    New investors/posters: I'm not going to bother with any sort of effort using Google or the search function on BP and constantly post ad nauseum about the same question.  More experienced investors need to spoon feed me because I have $100 and a 600 credit score and want to be rich by next year.


    That seems to be what the group thinks about each of those groups as a whole, obviously there are exception but that seems to be the consensus.  Neither of those are good outlooks about this site or in general.  Tongue-in-cheek somewhat, but that seems to be the general tone of responses I've seen thus far.  I'm a new poster, so speaking of that spoon feeding...  

  • Real Estate Investor · FL · Member since 2011 · 586 posts · 360 votes
    6y

    After eight years as a member, I still find a lot of value in the forums and way more value in the overall site. That being said, the forums have evolved and aren't what they once were and probably never will be again. 

    On the business podcast with J and Carol Scott, Josh Dorkin (BP founder) was the guest on their first show. One of the many things he said that stood out to me was why he created BP. He said he wanted to create a community where there are no stupid questions and nobody would be selling their product/service in the threads. Those two core values have either been forgotten or the business has just simply grown so much that they're no longer important to the site owners, management, and moderators.. 

    The once small community is now a very large community and with that comes change. If you're looking for the original forums, you won't find them here, but that doesn't mean you can't find something else equally as good or better. 

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 97 posts · 109 votes
    6y

    @Peter Tverdov What are these other forums you speak of? 

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago · Member since 2021 · 108 posts · 23 votes
    4y

    While many agree that real estate forums were once a great place to meet like-minded individuals or get advice from experts, I now feel as if these sites have lost their value. It's become more difficult than ever to find valuable insights and information because so much of what's shared on these sites is either useless or incredibly biased.

    Forums were originally intended to be used as a research tool: forums were designed to connect people who either live in or wish to buy/sell homes in specific area. This allowed those who needed information about their neighborhood (e.g., crime, schools, etc.) an opportunity to hear what others had to say. A lot of the information here is user-generated and anecdotal but it's still valuable because you don't have to take it from strangers on TV or radio – local homeowners are sharing their experiences with you right at the source. 

    Today forums are treated as a message board or blog platform for those who like to rant and rave about their opinions on topics they know nothing about, and this is why we're seeing more and more forum resources go offline. They're either shut down by moderators due to abusers posting libelous, slanderous and disruptive content or website owners with an ethical moral compass that won't allow them to support hate-speech. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.