How would you invest $60,000?

How would you invest $60,000?

Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 471 posts · 462 votes

I am in the midwest, I refinanced my house and pulled some cash out, I am curious how some of you would go about investing it in real estate (or other means).

5Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 164 votes
5y

It really depends on your goals and experience level. You could split the $60k up into multiple down payments, or you could buy something all cash and do some rehab and cash out refi again down the road. You could also buy something semi turn key all cash and just sit on the cash flow.

Numerous ways to go about it and each one will have different outcomes, but you should start with your end goal in mind and work backwards

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Greater Rochester/Finger Lakes Region · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 63 votes
    5y

    Depending on property values where you're located, I'd use it as down payment on two properties if feasible.

    Being new though, you're probably better off starting with one and keeping any leftover aside for potential unforseen issues.

  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Scott Wolf:
    Originally posted by @Forrest Faulconer:
    Originally posted by @Scott Wolf:

    @Forrest Faulconer, I'd invest in a syndication.

    Any particular syndications you look for? What terms do you find favorable?

    I look for multi-family, industrial or data center deals.  For most, you need to be an accredited investor.  I also look at the syndicators track record, and references. As for deal specifics, I like a 8% return with at least a 2x equity multiple and a favorable waterfall (at least 70/30 hopefully better).

    Data centers sound interesting. I've focused on multifamily and self storage for my active & passive syndication investments but data centers sound like an interesting one. Any particular sponsors you'd recommend looking into? 

    My answer to the OP's question is exactly what the plan is for my current cash: My next multifamily syndication deal. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    If you don't make more than 60k at your day job then the below does not apply..

    If net worth is under 500k buy a turnkey.

    If net worth over that build connections with other high net worth passive investors and see who they invest with.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Forrest Faulconer

    Purchase Price: 95k

    ARV: 198k

    Rehab Budget:45k

    HM lender gave me all the money to rehab because it was 75% LTARV (loan to after repair value)

    Right out of the gate I paid about 5k in fees. Holding costs will be about 3-4K (14% APR) for the HM loan.

    conventional refinancing fees will probably land me about another 2k or so.

    I’m all in at about 12k (conservatively)

    I can net about $200 / month on this deal so about 20% return.

    Remember the kicker is when I sell I will sell over 200k (assuming appreciation by year 5). My goal return will easily be 300%.



  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 471 posts · 462 votes
    5y

    @Will Fraser

    Honestly, things haven’t changed since I was twelve, I would buy 60,000 things off the dollar menu at McDonalds.

  • Rental Property Investor · Henrico, VA · Member since 2019 · 265 posts · 155 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Will Fraser:

    I'd put it in Gold, take an Equity Line Of Credit on the gold, buy a house, BRRRR it, bury the gold in the basement, then burn it down.

    #win-win-win!

     Lol, this takes some time to contemplate. Nice one. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Henrico, VA · Member since 2019 · 265 posts · 155 votes
    5y

    @Forrest Faulconer My first thought is 2 downpayments for 2 duplexes to take advantage of the incredible rates. With the caveat that I would take my time to carefully look for (stalk) value deals over the winter (probably not going to come via mls is my guess).  If they arise,  then strike. If not, hold the cash as a reserve (especially if you could use the extra cushion) until later Next year in the spring or summer to see how the recession goes (for you and everyone around you) and to see how all these eviction moratoriums go.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    Damn, here at Bigger Pockets we really know how to spend other people's money. Wall-to-wall Masters of the Universe at it.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Forrest Faulconer

    Although new to investing I am actually in a similar reality.

    I would invest in a house hack or a fix and flip for faster cash. If the hack came first I would borrow equity from it after a year to get up to 4 more deals going (low end, about $100K each) which is now $400K in homes to be flipped.

    If fix and flip came first then just to make quick cash I would go in a smaller less aggressive market (smaller state) like Delaware, or smaller cities. If each home were $50K I would invest 20% on on at least 2 to be flipped and get my cash reserves.

  • Property Manager · Spokane, WA · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Ben Lapane

    Where you finding 4-6 SFR with 60k cash?

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Jake Tucker

    in Houston but everyone knows the average OOP is 25-35k. I just got lucky because when the deal was initially proposed the deal was projected 30k OOP.

    Because I had done research on the area prior I knew the numbers were too conservative.

    I know I can find deals for 10-15k OOP but I know it’s rare so I might even use my own W2 to start a marketing campaign and find some deals on my own. I know the spread in Houston between wholeseller and investor is a lot so if I source a deal on my own I can easily be <15k OOP on each deal.

    Im from Mobile AL so if all else fails I can go there too. I’ll go anywhere to find a deal.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 254 posts · 228 votes
    5y

    @Forrest Faulconer I think depends on how much you want to invest your time and energy in your real estates, Brandon's "scale of comfortability". If you're b***s to the wall you might use a 203k loan to buy a distressed 4 plex in a borderline area while using the other half to BRRR another 4 plex with hard money. In a year you'd have a stabilized 8 unit portfolio likely cash flowing well and furthermore have your money back after a refinance, in order to rinse and repeat. The down side is you suffer quite a lot, though learn immensely, in the process. You could also just hand the money off to a syndicator, but probably learn little to nothing about the nitty gritty of investing.

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Taylor L.:
    Originally posted by @Scott Wolf:
    Originally posted by @Forrest Faulconer:
    Originally posted by @Scott Wolf:

    @Forrest Faulconer, I'd invest in a syndication.

    Any particular syndications you look for? What terms do you find favorable?

    I look for multi-family, industrial or data center deals.  For most, you need to be an accredited investor.  I also look at the syndicators track record, and references. As for deal specifics, I like a 8% return with at least a 2x equity multiple and a favorable waterfall (at least 70/30 hopefully better).

    Data centers sound interesting. I've focused on multifamily and self storage for my active & passive syndication investments but data centers sound like an interesting one. Any particular sponsors you'd recommend looking into? 

    My answer to the OP's question is exactly what the plan is for my current cash: My next multifamily syndication deal. 

     Hi Taylor, I'm actually still looking into Data Centers and syndications of them.  It's taking a lot more legwork to find, as a lot of these are deep pocketed institutional guys.  But I know I'll get there!

  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Scott Wolf:
    Originally posted by @Taylor L.:
    Originally posted by @Scott Wolf:
    Originally posted by @Forrest Faulconer:
    Originally posted by @Scott Wolf:

    @Forrest Faulconer, I'd invest in a syndication.

    Any particular syndications you look for? What terms do you find favorable?

    I look for multi-family, industrial or data center deals.  For most, you need to be an accredited investor.  I also look at the syndicators track record, and references. As for deal specifics, I like a 8% return with at least a 2x equity multiple and a favorable waterfall (at least 70/30 hopefully better).

    Data centers sound interesting. I've focused on multifamily and self storage for my active & passive syndication investments but data centers sound like an interesting one. Any particular sponsors you'd recommend looking into? 

    My answer to the OP's question is exactly what the plan is for my current cash: My next multifamily syndication deal. 

     Hi Taylor, I'm actually still looking into Data Centers and syndications of them.  It's taking a lot more legwork to find, as a lot of these are deep pocketed institutional guys.  But I know I'll get there!

     I can believe it. Data center buildings are enormous, have massive climate control systems, and require a lot of power. Facebook invested nearly $1 billion into a data center in my city. I can only imagine they typically cost in that realm to build.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.