Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Julie Hill
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Are there any math impaired RE investors here? :)

Julie Hill
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jan 15 2021, 17:57

First of all, I consider myself very smart.  I run a very successful company, have always excelled in everything I do (including school), and have even been pretty successful with RE investing & flipping so far (with my husband) but what holds me back is MATH.   It is super frustrating because I cannot conceptualize or visualize math at all.  I can't think in terms of percentages or ratios, and can't "see" what other people naturally "see" when it comes to numbers.  And I don't mean mathematicians, I mean normal everyday people.  THIS is what holds me back in real estate investing.  I am a creative and massive problem solver.  I see all the opportunities in front of me and all the different scenarios but the math part stops me short.  I literally would be UNSTOPPABLE if I could conceptualize the math of these deals/situations.  

I was listening to a Clubhouse chat with Grant & Elena Cordone and Elena said she doesn't do any of the math because she can't think that way.  She let's Grant handle all of that.  And I was like... OMG THERE'S SOMEONE LIKE ME???!!  So that gives me hope.  I feel like if I had a RE Math coach, who would practice with me every day, I might get better at it but I don't think such a person exists.  I really need to learn one concept really really well so that I actually understand it and then move on to the next.  Just like learning a language or an instrument.  Ho hum.  

I was talking with a lender today and he asked me some questions that I just felt... stupid answering.  I definitely wasn't confident.  Anytime I'm chatting with anyone in RE I just feel dumb.  Just a Friday rant I guess! 

Loading replies...