Home Inspection Results - NEED OPINIONS!

33 Replies

@Lee Stephens

Now that you locked the place under contract and given the things that need fixing, can you ask for a significant haircut?

If the price is low enough, the numbers make sense, curious to see how this offer pans out...

Best of luck!

@Lee Stephens

Looks like a nice building.

Seepage- I would look into getting it sealed up on the exterior, could be an easy fix, and make sure downspouts are good and pushing water away.

I wouldn’t be concerned with a 21 year old boiler if it’s been maintained properly.

Windows- if you are paying for heat, I’d replace each apartment windows when they go empty.

What kind of rents will come from that $400k building?

@Matt M. Thanks Matt. As others stated, all of these issues seem to be very manageable. The rents should be around $1,100. The units are a good size and they’re in good shape with the addition of a parking garage, laundry and storage, so I don’t see an issue getting at least market rent with a possibility to either get above market or additional income with the stated amenities

@Lee Stephens I own a couple properties in Elgin.  One of which is a duplex with a separate cast iron boiler for each unit.  I can attest to @Travis Gulley 's comment.  The boilers are original to the building which was built in 1970 and they work just fine.  I have an excellent HVAC guy that specializes in boilers.  He told me the same thing Travis said in his comment.  Glad to share his name if you're interested.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you