I bought Schitts Creek.....I bought a motel, now what?!?!

I bought Schitts Creek.....I bought a motel, now what?!?!

Real Estate Agent · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 112 votes

Ok so I just bought an extended stay motel in Michigan......and I live in Utah.

How it happened: I was under contract on a single level 9 plex in a small industrial town in Michigan, I flew out for the inspection and we found mold all throughout the roof and the crawlspace. There were some other issues with the building as well so we decided to cancel the contract and fly home. While we were out driving around, we saw a small motel with a little for sale sign. We toured the property and went under contract the next day. The motel is 8 units plus a managers apartment, 5 of the units have kitchenettes and all units are rented on a weekly basis with most of them staying for 1+ month, and even have 2 tenants that have been there several years. Right now, the renters do not fill out any sort of application, they move in as soon as they look at the unit and move out on a moments notice. The units are fully furnished, including bedding and all utilities included. Does anyone have ideas on setting up a process for on boarding guests, part of why people are staying at a motel is not having an application process and getting to move in/out anytime they want. Most of the guests pay by the week, and right now 7 of 8 units are filled. I do have an onsite manager that collects rents and shows the units for discounted rent. He only pays $325/month.

For people interested in the numbers:

Purchase Price: $250,000

Rents when fully occupied are $5,500/month (most units rent for $175/week) 

My monthly expenses are roughly $2000/month (working on lowering this buy buying the Water softener isnt of rent, switching the internet/cable company, and adding insulation in roof to lower my utility bills)

The best way to get started is to just get started, I dont have all the answers but it seemed like a good deal and a great learning experience! Any advise is appreciated 

10Reply
202 views

Most Popular Reply

Derek LarsonPro Member
Investor · Traverse City, MI · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 12 votes
5y

I got the joke sounded good to me.  I am curious on the city/town its in now.  I see these little motels all over here.  One up north by my rental- sign always says "no vacancy".  I wonder who is always renting in that area.

sounds like a great house hack-  

sorry can't help with your questions though- good luck

See this reply in the discussion

61 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 112 votes
    5y

    Has anyone watched Schitts Creek? Bad joke? 

  • Derek LarsonPro Member
    Investor · Traverse City, MI · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    I got the joke sounded good to me.  I am curious on the city/town its in now.  I see these little motels all over here.  One up north by my rental- sign always says "no vacancy".  I wonder who is always renting in that area.

    sounds like a great house hack-  

    sorry can't help with your questions though- good luck

  • Real Estate Agent · Sandwich, MA · Member since 2014 · 974 posts · 636 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Mueller

    The joke landed enough for me to click!

    I haven’t owned a motel operation but have hospitality finance background. How are you currently finding your tenants/guests? Second, what are your plans, moving forward?

    Many of the larger hotels use a system called Opera for their PMS.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mason Hickman:

    @Jonathan Mueller

    The joke landed enough for me to click!

    I haven’t owned a motel operation but have hospitality finance background. How are you currently finding your tenants/guests? Second, what are your plans, moving forward?

    Many of the larger hotels use a system called Opera for their PMS.

    I got 10X latest commerical auction flyer and there had to be 20 plus hotel/motels..  if not more.. going to be ton of turn over 

  • Real Estate Agent · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 112 votes
    5y

    @Derek Larson this one is over in the lowest part of the UP, Menominee MI! Yes there does seem to be lots of small motels that are ready for a new owner!

  • Real Estate Agent · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 112 votes
    5y

    @Mason Hickman good to hear! I am finding tenants through Facebook Marketplace, the town has a shipyard and there are lot of people that come work for a few weeks/months at a time so this is a good option for them!

  • Real Estate Agent · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 112 votes
    5y

    @Mason Hickman I think we will do a few upgrades in the next few years to give it better curb appeal, the previous owner upgraded a lot of the units but there are still a few units that could use a makeover. But otherwise I like the extended stay biz plan! It seems to be a need in the area and its much cheaper than a standard motel for a month.

  • Real Estate Agent · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 112 votes
    5y

    @Jay Hinrichs I would love to see that flyer. Any chance you could send it to me?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Mueller:

    @Jay Hinrichs I would love to see that flyer. Any chance you could send it to me?

    just sign up with Auction dot com  10X and get on their mialing list

  • Real Estate Agent · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 112 votes
    5y

    @Jay Hinrichs thanks, will do!

  • Greg TodrankPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bloomfield Hills, MI · Member since 2020 · 88 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    I have 2 duplexes in Menominee and 3 across the river in Marinette.  Where is the hotel located?  The shipyard has several lucrative Navy contracts — so rent numbers are good right now. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Sandwich, MA · Member since 2014 · 974 posts · 636 votes
    5y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    I get the 10-x flyer and noticed the same thing in this past mailer. Even closer to home, most of the smaller hotel/motels in my area seem to be mom and pop owned and are all listed for sale at this point. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 112 votes
    5y

    @Greg Todrank thats awesome! Seems like a great area! I own the Bay Breeze motel, just north of Menominee on M-35. Do you live locally?

  • Real Estate Agent · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 112 votes
    5y

    @Mason Hickman it could be a good opportunity and motels are pretty covid safe since they are all exterior entrances. And there are some really cool redone motels

  • Greg TodrankPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bloomfield Hills, MI · Member since 2020 · 88 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Mueller I live in Detroit, but have family in Menominee.  I’m up there every couple of months.  I’ll keep my eyes open for the hotel next time I drive.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Mueller it’s actually a funny show!

  • Real Estate Agent · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 112 votes
    5y

    @Greg Galustian I think so too but every time I tell someone I've bought a motel they say "oh just like Schitts Creek?"

  • Real Estate Agent · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 112 votes
    5y

    @Greg Todrank awesome! Yeah take a look and let me know what you think. Most of my renters come from the boat yard.

  • Greg TodrankPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bloomfield Hills, MI · Member since 2020 · 88 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Mueller You'll love the area and I would expect it to do well for you.  Let me know if you need any contacts.  I've only been investing there for the past year, but have been building my team.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Embrace the spotlight/attention from Schmitt’s Creek  :)

  • Greg TodrankPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bloomfield Hills, MI · Member since 2020 · 88 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Mueller

    "Most of my renters come from the boat yard."

    I've looked into some properties that would do well for renting out by the room.  A motel is just the ultimate by-the-room play.  :)

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Mueller:

    Ok so I just bought an extended stay motel in Michigan......and I live in Utah.

    How it happened: I was under contract on a single level 9 plex in a small industrial town in Michigan, I flew out for the inspection and we found mold all throughout the roof and the crawlspace. There were some other issues with the building as well so we decided to cancel the contract and fly home. While we were out driving around, we saw a small motel with a little for sale sign. We toured the property and went under contract the next day. The motel is 8 units plus a managers apartment, 5 of the units have kitchenettes and all units are rented on a weekly basis with most of them staying for 1+ month, and even have 2 tenants that have been there several years. Right now, the renters do not fill out any sort of application, they move in as soon as they look at the unit and move out on a moments notice. The units are fully furnished, including bedding and all utilities included. Does anyone have ideas on setting up a process for on boarding guests, part of why people are staying at a motel is not having an application process and getting to move in/out anytime they want. Most of the guests pay by the week, and right now 7 of 8 units are filled. I do have an onsite manager that collects rents and shows the units for discounted rent. He only pays $325/month.

    For people interested in the numbers:

    Purchase Price: $250,000

    Rents when fully occupied are $5,500/month (most units rent for $175/week) 

    My monthly expenses are roughly $2000/month (working on lowering this buy buying the Water softener isnt of rent, switching the internet/cable company, and adding insulation in roof to lower my utility bills)

    The best way to get started is to just get started, I dont have all the answers but it seemed like a good deal and a great learning experience! Any advise is appreciated 

    Sounds like a great find.  I would also tweeker, I mean tweak, the non-existent application process. 😎

    Not that this small motel needs financing hopefully, but what would a loan look like on a heavier deal I wonder?

    I always click the hotels/motels box when browsing the MLS for commercial anyway. Any insight into financing standard practices for this type of asset appreciated👍

  • Real Estate Agent · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 112 votes
    5y

    @Steve Vaughan haha good one ;) and I am hoping to create some sort of application process and take a small deposit, even though they are week to week.

    For financing, we were able to just do a 1031 exchange from a duplex we sold and make up the difference in cash. But I do have a local lender ready to give me a commercial loan, 5 year balloon, 20 year amortization, 4% interest and 75% LTV

    Most national lenders are shying away from Hospitality and only offering 60% LTV right now

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Great move. I'd recommend MyRental.com for tenant screening. Backgrounds are done within 24hr (earliest within a few hours). A good precautionary measure for everyone's safety.

    Also, there's a new rental management product on the market PropertyScale.com. Your project sounds like a good deal to inquire upfront and potentially work with them to automate your operations.

    I wish you the best. Peace

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Mueller. This is interesting. And also scary. Is this your first property you've owned? Because that would be jumping in with both feet. And is there any way Airbnb might work for you in this endeavor? Maybe get the same rents by only having 50% occupancy? $50/night Airbnb? What's the going rate for other motels renting by the night in the area? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.