Buying rental properties for my kids

2 Replies

I’m looking to start buying rental properties for my children (5 and 3). I’d like to use the brrrr method to keep buying more rentals for and put the profit each month into an index fund or some other kind of investment vehicle. Does anyone have and advice or suggestions as to go about doing this?

@Chris D'Auria I have been mulling the same thing. I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I'll share what I am planning to do (pending Atty's input). I plan to buy the property(s) in the name of my children. I can loan them the downpayment money and gift them a portion of its repayment each year until it is diminished. (you can gift $14k/year tax-free I believe) I intend to place the property into a Trust that I manage on their behalf. Proceeds can go into tax-deferred accounts (529, IRA, etc).

My intention is to help them avoid capital gains taxes upon my passing while also providing income for their savings now.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you