Spouse Not on Board?

Spouse Not on Board?

Chef · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 6 votes

I'm new to BP and am venturing into buying and holding with a skeptical spouse. We're considering moving to Austin, Tx and that's where I'd most likely buy a rental. Given my partner isn't on board for any sort of RE investment (live-in / house hack / duplex), I've considered my first property to be 20% down on a non-line-in investment (not ideal, I know). 

One of my partners' concerns is I'll be over-leveraged, for when we try and buy a home for ourselves, ideally our dream home. I have no sense of what my dream home would be and just view RE as an investment and don't need somewhere I buy to be a permanent home. That being said, they want reassurance that it's financially the right choice either jointly or for me before they get on board.


What sort of emotional logic can I bring to the table to convince them? They are very financially risk-averse, so not only does it need to make financial sense, but I also need to convince them that it's the best emotional decision as well. 

Has anyone on BP ever faced similar challenges with your spouse? If so, how did you handle it?

Sure would appreciate some advice here. Thanks!

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
5y

They sound smart. Listen to your partner. Tie down your own personal residence in your minds first and be on the same page about it before trying to invest. Even if you invest first, know what the plan is so you don't do exactly what your partner's fear is and compromise your life by needing to invest too early. Can you invest on your own, with your own money? And if you are new to BP and to the idea of investing, again, I would listen to your partner. They often know better because they aren't in the emotional excitement phase of wanting to invest.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    They sound smart. Listen to your partner. Tie down your own personal residence in your minds first and be on the same page about it before trying to invest. Even if you invest first, know what the plan is so you don't do exactly what your partner's fear is and compromise your life by needing to invest too early. Can you invest on your own, with your own money? And if you are new to BP and to the idea of investing, again, I would listen to your partner. They often know better because they aren't in the emotional excitement phase of wanting to invest.

  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Logan J. first of all, Austin is not a cheap market, so starting with a rental here could be pricey and you will definitely want your spouse on board. However, if you don't already own a primary residence, start with that first. And here's one way to convince your spouse. Don't buy your dream home. Purchase a solid property that can serve as a PRIMARY residence now (1-3 years) and become a RENTAL in the future when you go buy your next property. YOu will already know everything about this property when you move out including the maintenance schedule. It will be very easy to convert it to a rental and you will already know all your numbers. Plus, you'll have a head start on paying off the debt. This is the cheapest and most flexible way to purchase investment properties. 

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Logan J. I would talk this through with a strong lender. They're the only one who will really have the answer.

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Logan J.:

    I'm new to BP and am venturing into buying and holding with a skeptical spouse. We're considering moving to Austin, Tx and that's where I'd most likely buy a rental. Given my partner isn't on board for any sort of RE investment (live-in / house hack / duplex), I've considered my first property to be 20% down on a non-line-in investment (not ideal, I know). 

    One of my partners' concerns is I'll be over-leveraged, for when we try and buy a home for ourselves, ideally our dream home. I have no sense of what my dream home would be and just view RE as an investment and don't need somewhere I buy to be a permanent home. That being said, they want reassurance that it's financially the right choice either jointly or for me before they get on board.


    What sort of emotional logic can I bring to the table to convince them? They are very financially risk-averse, so not only does it need to make financial sense, but I also need to convince them that it's the best emotional decision as well. 

    Has anyone on BP ever faced similar challenges with your spouse? If so, how did you handle it?

    Sure would appreciate some advice here. Thanks!

     You say your spouse and then you transferred  your verbiage into saying “ my partner.” Will they be on the deed and sign on the loan? 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    house to live in first then invest is my motto..  you have to have a happy home base .  Plus if you have no experience in rentals lets say you get sucked into buying some low end rental you thought looked great on paper.. then it goes wonky or any rental really that can go wonky.. now your really in trouble.. you have that going on and you cant buy a home to live in. 

    Just not worth it.. get that home to live in first and foremost. IMHO  which I know is not usually agreed upon by most on BP as this is a very pro landlord site.
  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Logan J. @Jay Hinrichs

    Hey Logan follow Jay's advice. A happy home makes you alot more productive. If your partner isn't on board then it can be high drama which is no fun ever. I hear dream home and I am never really sure what to make of that phrase. After all a nightmare is a dream too. No thanks! But if both of y'all are on board then buy a duplex or sfh with the intention of eventually renting it out. If you two like the rental business keep on trucking. A happy partnership is the key here. You could always create an llc and buy rentals through that entity.  The Austin metro is relatively expensive and you should keep that in mind.  

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y

    If you can get a decent primary residence first then that is obviously the way to go. You can't can't have your rent raised and nobody can throw you out.

    But if you come across The Deal, jump on it and use it to buy your own house later....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.