Purchase contracts and hard money/private loans - chicken or the egg

Purchase contracts and hard money/private loans - chicken or the egg

Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes

Recently, I've been searching for ways to fund a deal but I keep getting conflicting information about the purchase contract from various sources.

A little while back I posted a question here about the process of making an offer when private/hard money lenders are involved. My impression from the responses (which were great and very helpful, by the way) is that I should get pre-approved for a loan. Great.

The real estate agent that showed me the property that I want to purchase tells me that she needs earnest money and proof of funds letter from my lender before submitting the offer. Fair enough.

What threw me was when I spoke to one private lender, one of the first questions he asked me was, "Do you have a purchase contract in place?" I told him, "No, because my real estate agent wants a proof of funds letter." His response to that lands somewhere between annoyance and exasperation, but he basically told me to call him back when I get a purchase contract in place.

A conversation I had with the next private lender I contacted basically went the same way.

So, it looks to me like a case of chicken or the egg: My real estate agent won't put in the offer without a proof of funds letter, and the private lenders I've spoken to won't approve me and/or provide a proof of funds letter without a purchase contract.

What am I missing here? Am I getting the runaround?

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

CA · Member since 2011 · 762 posts · 182 votes
12y

As a private lender to rehabbers, I used to provide a pre-approval letter, and even a couple of pof's, but after 10-20 of those and never hearing from borrower again I learned it was a waste of my time. I understand your frustration, but lenders also have frustration.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jimmy MoncriefPro Member
    Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2010 · 319 posts · 100 votes
    12y

    I don't think you are getting a run around, but I am emphatic with teaching people to get their financing in-place first!

    If you can't fund the deal, why bother even looking.

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    As I bet you’re finding out, Gary, you could look at hundreds of properties to get one under contract. Lenders know that as well and don’t want to go through these motions with you deal-by-deal. This is not the chicken and egg problem you seem to believe and no one is giving you the run-around.

    You note in your profile that you are “completely new to real estate investing.” Like it or not, you will have to bring something to the table. This could be a great deal you backed into or money or experience. The hype you’re read about no money/no experience and anyone can get into real estate is just that; hype. Sorry.

    You might get lucky and find someone willing to provide a generic proof-of-funds letter and bank statement you could submit, but many agents now understand these are generally not worth the paper they’re printed on. It could get you under contract but then what? Where will you find the real funding?

    In reality, you should be looking for money as hard as you are looking for properties and it’s clear you’re realizing that the conventional route of asking lenders to work with you is ineffective. Partnering with someone who has money and experience but might be your best bet if you can find a deal and have the time to work it. A good local real estate club could be a place to find this individual until you get the background and money you need to do it on your own. Good luck.

    Jeff

  • CA · Member since 2011 · 762 posts · 182 votes
    12y

    As a private lender to rehabbers, I used to provide a pre-approval letter, and even a couple of pof's, but after 10-20 of those and never hearing from borrower again I learned it was a waste of my time. I understand your frustration, but lenders also have frustration.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.