What’s Been Your Experience Finding Funding Once a Deal Is Under Contract?

What’s Been Your Experience Finding Funding Once a Deal Is Under Contract?

Lender · FL · Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote

I’ve noticed many investors share their wins and challenges around getting funding — especially once they’re already under contract. Thought I’d open this up to hear how others are handling it.

If you've had a deal under contract recently — whether for a fix & flip, buy & hold, or BRRR — how did you go about securing funding? Did you already have a lender lined up, or did you begin your search after the contract was signed?

Would love to hear what’s been working for others and any insights you’d share with someone trying to move quickly on a signed deal.

– Tolise Adkisson, Certified Private Money Broker / Lender

0Reply
61 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Charleston, SC · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

I would have financing worked out prior to going under contract on something. Dont want to lose your EMD

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tolise Adkisson:

    I’ve noticed a lot of investors sharing wins and challenges around getting their deals funded, especially once they’re already under contract. Thought I’d open up a discussion to see how folks here are navigating that process.

    If you've had a deal under contract recently — whether for a flip, rental, or BRRRR — how did you go about securing funding? Did you already have a lender lined up or did you start searching once the contract was signed?

    Would love to hear what’s been working for others and if there are any lessons you’d share with someone trying to move quickly once they’ve got a signed deal.

    Open to hearing all types of experiences. Just looking to learn and connect.

    First fact of real estate, what may be a deal to you, may not be a deal to a lender. Ask lenders what they fund, before you spend time buying that property in your head.
  • Lender · Member since 2021 · 495 posts · 130 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tolise Adkisson:

    I’ve noticed a lot of investors sharing wins and challenges around getting their deals funded, especially once they’re already under contract. Thought I’d open up a discussion to see how folks here are navigating that process.

    If you've had a deal under contract recently — whether for a flip, rental, or BRRRR — how did you go about securing funding? Did you already have a lender lined up or did you start searching once the contract was signed?

    Would love to hear what’s been working for others and if there are any lessons you’d share with someone trying to move quickly once they’ve got a signed deal.

    Open to hearing all types of experiences. Just looking to learn and connect.


     Make some connections to have financing lined up based on the deal, that way you can move quickly when the time comes.

  • Cam SchwartzBusiness Member
    Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2024 · 102 posts · 48 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tolise Adkisson:

    I’ve noticed many investors share their wins and challenges around getting funding — especially once they’re already under contract. Thought I’d open this up to hear how others are handling it.

    If you've had a deal under contract recently — whether for a fix & flip, buy & hold, or BRRR — how did you go about securing funding? Did you already have a lender lined up, or did you begin your search after the contract was signed?

    Would love to hear what’s been working for others and any insights you’d share with someone trying to move quickly on a signed deal.

    – Tolise Adkisson, Certified Private Money Broker / Lender

    Hey @Tolise Adkisson, great question.

    As long as you have a deal that pencils in an area with a decent sized population there's a  very good chance you'll be able to secure funding.

    Most lenders look for deals that pencil with creditworthy borrowers. Assuming you have these two items checked you can be confident in your ability to obtain financing once lining up a deal.

  • Lender · Charleston, SC · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I would have financing worked out prior to going under contract on something. Dont want to lose your EMD

  • Lender · Sanford, NC · Member since 2024 · 348 posts · 116 votes
    1y

    Great question, Tolise! I’ve found that having a few go-to lenders already lined up before going under contract makes a huge difference—especially in today’s market where timing and lender consistency are everything.

    For my clients, I usually help line up options early based on their strategy (fix & flip, DSCR, BRRR, etc.), so we're not scrambling once the deal is signed. That way, if one lender backs out or changes terms, there's a backup ready to step in.

    Biggest tip I’d share: don’t wait until you’re under contract to start your funding search. Having a “plan B” lender is just as important as your primary one.

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tolise Adkisson:

    I’ve noticed many investors share their wins and challenges around getting funding — especially once they’re already under contract. Thought I’d open this up to hear how others are handling it.

    If you've had a deal under contract recently — whether for a fix & flip, buy & hold, or BRRR — how did you go about securing funding? Did you already have a lender lined up, or did you begin your search after the contract was signed?

    Would love to hear what’s been working for others and any insights you’d share with someone trying to move quickly on a signed deal.

    – Tolise Adkisson, Certified Private Money Broker / Lender


     Have a solid lender lined up beforehand is the way to go 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tolise Adkisson:

    I’ve noticed many investors share their wins and challenges around getting funding — especially once they’re already under contract. Thought I’d open this up to hear how others are handling it.

    If you've had a deal under contract recently — whether for a fix & flip, buy & hold, or BRRR — how did you go about securing funding? Did you already have a lender lined up, or did you begin your search after the contract was signed?

    Would love to hear what’s been working for others and any insights you’d share with someone trying to move quickly on a signed deal.

    – Tolise Adkisson, Certified Private Money Broker / Lender


     I recommend having a ledner lined up in the sense that you know their underwriting terms and criteria. First and foremost do you have the down payment, credit score and experience they require? If so that is a huge first step, then you would want to get the markets they play in, their pricing engine so you know once you get a deal under wraps, it should pen out. Knowing the terms of the lender ahead of time is a phone call you can make to many, then find the deal and send it along.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    1y

    I will reiterate what others have said. 

    @Ken M. put it bests above. You need to know what lenders terms are and what they will likely approve for you. Really good deals are easy to fund but only if you have an idea of who will fund it in advance. 

    I see so many investors buy and then wonder why they can't get financed. They didn't understand what a lender will loan on in the first place.

  • Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 9 votes
    1y

    Question, has anybody used Park place Finance? I have a deal with them right now that was supposed to close today which is not happening. I have 42 years of investing under my belt. Have quite a few LTR properties and good credit. Decided to try a different lender for fix and flip

    • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Art Schneider:

      Question, has anybody used Park place Finance? I have a deal with them right now that was supposed to close today which is not happening. I have 42 years of investing under my belt. Have quite a few LTR properties and good credit. Decided to try a different lender for fix and flip

      With your level of experience, I wouldn't tolerate lack of performance from a lender. They will only be trouble in the future. And does it really matter what their excise is? The moon is still in the sky, the ocean is still full of water, and promises still need to be kept.
  • Lender · Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    As some have pointed out, it's always a good idea to have your financing in place prior to. The last thing you want to do is risk your earnest money. As also stated, different lenders have different criteria. I'm with Lima One btw. If you do have need of funding give me a shout and I'm happy to assist. 

    The key point in any investment is having everything lined up prior to. I've dealt with hundreds of clients over my lending career and can speak to the fact that doing things last minute typically has consequences.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.