Business Line of Credit

Business Line of Credit

Member since 2024 · 35 posts · 20 votes

In this BP interview, Nathan said he uses a business line of credit to purchase his properties.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/deal-diary-nathan-nicholson?utm_campaign=InvestorBrief&utm_medium=email&utm_source=lterable&utm_channel=28425&utm_content=Marketing&user_id=

"Every time I pay a property off free and clear, I immediately put it on a business line of credit instead of just letting the sit there.  Right now, I have close to $1 million available across roughly 10 paid-off properties on that line, and I use it like my own bank to buy houses in cash, which is often what it takes to win a deal in today’s market. I just wired $56,000 to pay off a property on Lees Lane that nets about $600 a month. Once it’s added to my line, I’ll pick up another $100,000 in available credit from that single payoff."

I own several commercial properties and am curious if anyone here has done something similar with real estate.

Specifically I’m wondering if anyone has gotten a revolving line of credit secured by the equity in their properties and used it as an acquisition fund for additional properties.


Seems easier than having to apply for a new loan every time you buy a new property?

0Reply
607 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
2w
We have one with a lender, which required us to have a banking relationship with them, and they would also not go above 50% LTV
7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2w

    Our mortgage company has been lenders on several (both lines and installment loans) and I personally, in my real estate investing business have used lines for investment purposes. I think the big thing to remember is that you have to account for the contingencies...the "what is things don't go as planned". Interest can pile up if a project is delayed or a flip doesn't sell as quickly as you think it will. Make sure to bake in a lot of cushion for interest expense. I am also not a fan of over-leveraging. High LTV-financing has sunk just as many investors (and even private lenders) as anything. Good luck to you.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2w
    We have one with a lender, which required us to have a banking relationship with them, and they would also not go above 50% LTV
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2w

    Smart move!

  • Member since 2024 · 35 posts · 20 votes
    2w

    What might an interest rate look like compared to a conventional mortgage?

    For example I own 4 properties in separate LLCs with a combined value of approximately $3mm. Would the correct process be to create "Holding Company LLC" that owns all 4 LLCs, and then get a business line of credit to Holding Company LLC which uses the properties as collateral?

    Or do you get a separate BLOC for each individual property?

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 144 posts · 85 votes
    2w

    @Doug Smith’s warning about leverage is important. There is another tradeoff when several properties secure one revolving facility: cross-collateralization.

    A lender may lend to one entity and take liens against multiple properties owned by related LLCs, usually with guarantees and cross-default provisions. You don’t necessarily need to move every property beneath a newly created holding company, and changing ownership can create title, insurance, tax, and existing-loan issues.

    Before focusing on the rate, I would ask how each property gets released from the line, whether the borrowing base is recalculated, what happens if one property has a problem, and whether default on the facility places every pledged property at risk.

    One larger line is convenient, but separate facilities can isolate risk. The right entity structure should be coordinated with the lender, attorney, CPA, and insurance carrier before transferring anything.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.