Hard Money Loans: California Investors?

Hard Money Loans: California Investors?

Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 147 posts · 76 votes

Here's my "take" on the market - and my question:

Will hard money continue to get cheaper? We see a continual pattern of huge amounts trust deed investment dollars chasing a smaller number of loans.

Rates in the single digits, costs near as low as what banks charged, and longer term loans. The old "Limbo Dance" comes to mind: "How low can you go?" (If you're too young to remember that, it's probably a good thing.)

Real Estate investors who bought when prices were much lower, (about 18 months ago here in Southern California) are selling/taking profits. Some of that money is chasing trust deed investments as well - driving rates and costs even lower.

Investment property buyers who can't or don't have 3 months to jump through the bank's hoops to try to get their loan are taking advantage of today's lower costs from hard money lenders. People using hard money loans for investment properties are sharp - we've got to have terms that make ssnse.

So my big question(s): Do you see an increase in any of the following? Hard money loans offered at single digit rates, longer terms and lower costs? Trust deed investments offered at lower yields? Or an increase in the use of hard money financing for investment purposes?

(I'm only talking about NON-OWNER occupied properties, not financing someone's residence.)

Look forward to your feedback!

Joffrey Long

P.S. When hearing the mention of "hard money," some feel compelled to mention "loan to own," where a lender merely loans with the hope of foreclosing. Wrong-O ! That's a pretty "1980's" business model - but especially dangerous with 2013's new investor and borrower protection laws.

1Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y

Ok, here are a few more thoughts on the subject:

If you market to niches that you really understand and even sub-niches within the larger categories, you can become the dominant player, irrespectively of your size and relative access to capital.

If you have expertise in solving specific kinds of problems, as a hard money originating lender, you can close faster.

If you actually have you own money (or at least a credit or warehouse line) you can close still faster if you so choose, and outperform other wouldbe competitors.

If you own a loan and you now wish to broker it, flakey note investors' failure to perform won't affect you as much.

If you have good relationships with your competitors, you are less likely to have deals biked from you.

When I was ill during 2009-2010, I referred 100% of my business to my longtime friend and main competitor. I even funded most of those deals with my money! Consequently, we have an incredible trusting relationship that is mutually beneficial. And when something now happens in the marketplace or legislation, I have a sympathetic ear to discuss the potential ramifications.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Gene HackerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Lake Isabella, CA · Member since 2011 · 969 posts · 488 votes
    13y

    Longer terms are likely be adopted by more lenders. A few are starting to recognize that many buy and hold investors are unable to qualify for longer term loans on properties/deals that make since even with higher loan rates. And investor/lenders are happy making a bit less without the turn over. If your making 15% but your money is only allocated 50% of the time...you really are not doing very well compared to lower rate long term loans.

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 147 posts · 76 votes
    13y

    Gene,

    Thanks for the post! Great thoughts, and exactly the feedback I'm looking for. At our company, we're looking for the longer term, as our challenge is to keep our, and our investor's money invested, and our business model isn't based on getting rich by charging a lot of points on every deal. We try to price so people call us first with good deals, then if we don't do it, they go down the street.

    Hey - I owe you a phone call. Haven't forgotten. Please shoot me the number again, if you don't mind. [email protected] I'll call tomorrow, if that's ok.

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    13y

    I remember when private money was as high as 15% and 5 points. In the 1990s, I was paying 12% and 3 points. Nowadays, I'm paying as low as 8% and no points.

    I talk to a lot of private money investors. The ones that haven't been doing it long are thrilled with 8%, but it's easy to spot the long timers because when they hear 8% they quickly bark "8%!! I've always gotten 12%!!" Yeah, and banks were at 8.5% and they are now sub 4%.

    There are a lot of guys that I talk to that hold out for 12% and their money sits in a savings account month after month earning an eighth of a percent. Finally they find a 12% loan (to a questionable borrower) and when they get paid off it once again takes longer than it should to get it placed again. The result: they probably net 4 to 6% if you average out the whole year.

    If these guys would realize that the success of a house flipper is predicated on the lowest possible cost of capital (as margins are squeezed), and that buy/hold investors can only justify the use of leverage if the cost of the leverage is less than the net rental yield, they would accept the fact that realistic rates have dropped. I think that private money priced at 8% for flippers and 6-8% for rentals is in huge demand. Capital with that pricing is likely to stay active continuously due to the demand, and the investors net interest would actually increase because the consistent deal flow will minimize downtime.

    Not to mention that at those rates they can be selective and only loan to the best borrowers.

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 147 posts · 76 votes
    13y

    Brian,

    Thanks for your comments. (Like your website, by the way.) Agree with a lot of what you said, especially in paragraph 3, "guys that I talk to that hold out for 12%."

    Actually, they can get 12%, as you pointed out, on a marginal deal or some speculative situation that will blow up in their face.

    A mentor of mine said it so well, when referencing those types of "investors," (who really are just speculators) when he said, "Bernie Madoff taught investors that you can't get 12%."

    I use that all the time when I meet the 12% guys. It doesn't convince them, but when their deal blows up, hopefully they'll recall those words.

    On the bright side, there's plenty of us, who as hard money lenders, woke up a few years ago, smelled the coffee, and checked into the current reality.

    Thanks, Brian - great post, in my opinion. And congratulations on doing well in Texas, also. I lost my _ _ _ there, back in the last century. Great that you're making it work!

    Joffrey Long

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    13y

    Thanks Joffrey. I couldn't agree more, but here is what I see: the 12% guy has a deal blow up, then he either says that Private Lending is too risky to continue, or uses it to justify why he needs such a high rate. Self-fulfilling prophesy. Rinse. Repeat.

  • Gene HackerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Lake Isabella, CA · Member since 2011 · 969 posts · 488 votes
    13y

    Thanks Joffrey. Email sent. I look forward to talking with you again.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    My only knowledge on the subject comes from the money being offered to me from So Cal hard money people and private lenders in the past 12 months. From a borrower's perspective, the rates are very competitive as people need to place their money. The savvy and busy ones are not holding out for higher rates or too many points.

    For years I used the local hard money people, paying 12-18% and tons of points. The deals always had plenty of spread to accommodate the cost, so I didn't really worry about it too much. I'm a pretty private person and I don't network with a lot of investors or lenders. However, I've been on RE message boards a long time, so many CA private lenders recognize my name and/or know people that I know. I've been offered money, unsolicited, with favorable terms from several BP members, and from people who aren't members but have contacted me off the board. Some are professional lenders, some are are not. I just closed on such a loan yesterday. There is plenty of money available to me at 10% and few to no points these days. Way more funds than deals. Need to turn that around asap!

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Although I started in foreclosures in the late 1970's, I didn't become a hard money lender or buy paper until 1989.

    My initial observation was that the hard money guys understood real estate, people's motivations and were generally better prepared to weather the economic cycles. Of course, hard money loans to consumers was still possible although legislation and abuses ultimately eliminated hard money as a money source for homeowners in a pinch.

    My original mentor, Mike Quaid, owner of Cal-West Home Loan and Fullerton Investment, knew people and taught me the art of 'undressing' the prospective borrower. Mike also used his rather severe stuttering to his advantage when talking with borrowers. A conversation with Mike was never a quick proposition and you knew that he cared about people. However, when I told him my plans to market to a particular niche, he was supportive, but not particularly encouraging.

    And that's the thing that hard money originators must understand: today's lender needs to become a niche expert. I watched loan brokers try and sell investors high yield loans with no thought of the marketability of the collateral. I don't care what the yield is, if the property is a geo-dome house or an white elephant anomaly, it's not going to be easy to liquidate without massive concession, if at all.

    I recently saw a note for sale by FCI secured by a property near me. The property is an 11,000 sq ft home built by a friend of mine, an original builder/developer of Chino Hills, CA. There's a pretty limited market for 2nds on overbuilt mansions. BTW, the house was recently on TV news as the owner(s) were using it for an incubator house for pregnant, undocumented Asian women. Glad my niche strategy does not include this market!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    Wait until the HMLs get to meet the CFPB folks, I'll just guess rates will be going down, this time next year, I'd say compliance will be really fun. Good luck..

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    I forgot to mention that I'm one of those people that wants to put some of my funds out there at competitive rates. I've been contemplating a 9% long(er) term lending strategy. I have an investor friend in another state who has been lending at 9% long term for the past few year to rental investors who have really strong cash flow. The LTV ratios are always very good, so she is secure. The rental investors are in acquisition mode and use their available cash plus the lender funds to build their portfolios. Obviously, she'll eventually get cashed out when the buying game slows down. 9% would work for me for the right types of houses and the right type of investor.

  • CA · Member since 2011 · 762 posts · 182 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Bill G.:
    Wait until the HMLs get to meet the CFPB folks, I'll just guess rates will be going down, this time next year, I'd say compliance will be really fun. Good luck..

    CFPB = Consumer Financial Protection Bureau ?

    I'm guessing they only regulate consumer loans so it won't affect the type of loans discussed here.

  • Gene HackerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Lake Isabella, CA · Member since 2011 · 969 posts · 488 votes
    13y

    K. Marie Poe,

    I am looking for the same thing...9% longer term. The Norris Group has been making a big push in that direction but I am a little too far our for The Norris Group (eastern Kern County) but I am hoping to find a lender in Bakersfield or southern central valley with a similar program.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    I'll suggest some due diligence. They have much further reaching implications, they just sent one guy to jail for promising a 6% return to investors with mail fraud. They are involved in real estate financing as well. For those who think you're hiding behind the "commercial" nature of loans.....good luck, in just one instance, do you think you'll be immune if your investor has a homebuyer assume your loan?

    Loans are reclassified all the time, changed from what category they were when originated to what they become after making the loan.
    Just ignore the issues, they will go away I'm sure.

  • CA · Member since 2011 · 762 posts · 182 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Bill G.:
    I'll suggest some due diligence. They have much further reaching implications, they just sent one guy to jail for promising a 6% return to investors with mail fraud. They are involved in real estate financing as well. For those who think you're hiding behind the "commercial" nature of loans.....good luck, in just one instance, do you think you'll be immune if your investor has a homebuyer assume your loan?

    Loans are reclassified all the time, changed from what category they were when originated to what they become after making the loan.
    Just ignore the issues, they will go away I'm sure.

    You make it sound like HML's are trying to somehow game the system, I just want to understand so I can comply, that's why I responded to your post. If regulators want to regulate away private money, so be it, I'll go find another profession.

    The line between consumer and commercial loans can be tricky, as you point out, especially with SFR collateral. You bring up a good point about homebuyer assuming the commercial loan that then changes nature. The original rehabber borrower can also decide to move into the property thereby changing the character of the loan, it is a risk. I handle this by vetting the borrower in the first place. If the borrower has a history of rehabbing and re-selling then (s)he is probably a safe bet. OTOH, if it's a newbie borrower, they are much more likely to do something like you suggest. It's all about knowing your borrower.

    Is there something in particular we should be concerned about wrt to the CFPB?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    We are getting off topic, if it's all your money you'll be safer, if you have partners/investors it complicates things. Remember too, people die, get divorced, take bankruptcy, go to jail, if it hasn't happened yet, if you continue to make loans, something will get off track someday. Compliance should be checked monthly, revised as needed semi-annually and restated annually, stuff constantly changes, need to stay on top of it. I believe there will be a trickle through effect, investors to HML and the loans made, commercial or not, the investment side won't care. :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 732 votes
    13y

    Interesting question...Also I am wondering if max LTVs will change as well with the market picking up in certain areas , higher sales prices , less inventory, less days on market?

    Plus at some point NOO investor loans through big banks will ease up and hard money lenders will be competing with the big guys too.

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 147 posts · 76 votes
    13y

    To all:

    Wow! Thank you all for the great comments. This is what I wanted and I think you've all provided a lot of great insight to all the BP readers......and best of all, not one "loan to own" comment. Thank you!!!

    Brian Burke - I agree - some of the 12% guys/gals will never learn, and will try to "make up their loss on the next deal." They don't realize that if you collect a safer percentage, but really COLLECT it, you're ahead.

    K. Marie Poe - Your feedback is always valuable, and you backed it up with an actual recent experience. This is very instructive to all. Congrats on getting what sounds like a good deal!

    Rick Harmon - Great to hear from you again! Yes, get a niche, (or a few niches) that you gain a higher level of skill in. By the way, you mentioned FCI - do you know they will no longer do non-judicial foreclosures? That's HUGE!!!!

    Bill G. - Yes. CFPB = Big trouble. That's why we have Edwin Chow, Western Regional Director of Examinations at CFPB coming to speak for us in February. I'm eager, no, anxious to hear what he has to say.

    David C. - I'm not SURE Bill is right, that if a non-consumer loan, assumed by a consumer, could then involve CFPB. I'm inclined to think he is, but I much prefer your theory!

    Gene Hacker - I think K. Marie was referencing the 9% as an investor, while you referenced it as a borrower. But that's a perfect example of a win-win in lending, and how costs / rates have come into a much more sane and acceptable neighborhood.

    Joseph M. - Here's my take on your interesting observation: One - as far as LTV's going up, and hard money becoming more aggresive, that would definitely occur with continuing prices. BUT, and it's a HUGE but, in CALIFORNIA (which is all I know) the increasing difficulty in foreclosing on 1-4's may water down that improvement in the market. Also, we just got new investor discosure and suitability laws on 1/1/13 that add to the mix.
    On banks competing with hard money lenders, I think it's a looooooong way until banks can do anything near what we can do.

    Thanks again, all, for the wonderful feedback, and keep it comin!!!

    Joffrey Long

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    In my view, Rick Harmon nailed it. You really have to find your niche. Also important is a competitive advantage and it doesn't have to be on cost. I assume here we're talking about NOO loans to flippers.

    Those rehabbing a few homes at a time, or per year, should easily be able to borrow at less than 10% now with few-to-no points in southern California. It really amounts to who you know and your level of experience; a well-worn topic around here.

    Our niche has generally been full-time professional flippers who might have slightly fewer than a dozen or as many as dozens of deals being rehabbed at a time. All will maintain a list of lenders ranging from mom and pop private individuals, happy to get greater than money market rates, to some large HML's with downtown office addresses looking to maximize total return.

    All will also have been screwed at some point by any of these types of lenders, thus putting their hard earned deals and earnest money at risk. We've all heard the stories – lender can’t/won’t perform at the last minute, mom & pop get cold feet, last minute change of rates, two week close on a two day deal, etc. While not for a second would I suggest the cost of capital is unimportant, it’s not always about the money.

    If you're going to compete on cost alone (all that was mentioned above), you'll want to be the lowest around, market yourself like crazy, and expect a high client turnover since these are the borrowers you'll attract. We've found that most active flippers also value loyalty, reliability, extreme speed, and ease of closing. (Consistent rates and a high LTV also provide a competitive advantage, but these are other topics.) You don't have to loan at 8% if you always offer all of these always. (Did I emphasize always?)

    Though I see changes, in particular with the higher dollar value-added flips and maybe new construction, our business really hasn't been better and we’re far from the lowest cost of money. Nor are we trying to be the first person anyone calls for all their deals. They know our competitive advantages and also know when their deals fit our mutual criteria.

    It's changing, but there is still a lot of business out there.

    Jeff

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 147 posts · 76 votes
    13y

    Jeff,

    Thanks for your post. I'm not complaining - there's plenty of business out there.

    On the contrary, I like being a hard money lender more now than before. The borrowers I'm loaning to, the properties I'm loaning on - all a lot better risk than who I loaned money to in 2006.

    I agree, reliability is the issue. As I said in an earlier post, investor borrowers (and others) don't want to hear about what some private lender wants or doesn't want. They want the loan closed....now.

    That's what we do.

    Joffrey Long

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Ok, here are a few more thoughts on the subject:

    If you market to niches that you really understand and even sub-niches within the larger categories, you can become the dominant player, irrespectively of your size and relative access to capital.

    If you have expertise in solving specific kinds of problems, as a hard money originating lender, you can close faster.

    If you actually have you own money (or at least a credit or warehouse line) you can close still faster if you so choose, and outperform other wouldbe competitors.

    If you own a loan and you now wish to broker it, flakey note investors' failure to perform won't affect you as much.

    If you have good relationships with your competitors, you are less likely to have deals biked from you.

    When I was ill during 2009-2010, I referred 100% of my business to my longtime friend and main competitor. I even funded most of those deals with my money! Consequently, we have an incredible trusting relationship that is mutually beneficial. And when something now happens in the marketplace or legislation, I have a sympathetic ear to discuss the potential ramifications.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Jeff S:

    All will also have been screwed at some point by any of these types of lenders, thus putting their hard earned deals and earnest money at risk. We've all heard the stories – lender can’t/won’t perform at the last minute, mom & pop get cold feet, last minute change of rates, two week close on a two day deal, etc. While not for a second would I suggest the cost of capital is unimportant, it’s not always about the money.

    If you're going to compete on cost alone (all that was mentioned above), you'll want to be the lowest around, market yourself like crazy, and expect a high client turnover since these are the borrowers you'll attract. We've found that most active flippers also value loyalty, reliability, extreme speed, and ease of closing. (Consistent rates and a high LTV also provide a competitive advantage, but these are other topics.) You don't have to loan at 8% if you always offer all of these always. (Did I emphasize always?)

    Jeff S Even though I'm enjoying lower borrowing costs these day, I can honestly say that reliability and speed have been equally or more important. There's no deal, and no profit, without the money showing up in escrow in a timely manner. Also, some lenders understand my niche (estate and title issues) better than others and hence are easier to work with. So, it's definitely not all about the money.

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by K. Marie Poe:

    ... I can honestly say that reliability and speed have been equally or more important. There's no deal, and no profit, without the money showing up in escrow in a timely manner.

    Your comments are very typical of the conversations I regularly have with our borrowers, Kristine. When asked what's important when they borrow, all immediately answer cost then after a few moments qualify it by adding reliability and speed. In fact, I know that LTV really tops the list. After so many houses, those who are really skilled at finding homes eventually run out of money and look to borrow as much as they can per deal.

    Jeff

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 147 posts · 76 votes
    13y

    Rick Harmon, K. Marie Poe, and Jeff S,

    I'm primarily wholesale, meaning that 85% of my originations come from mortgage brokers bringing me the transaction for funding.

    So I agree with Rick, on funding, K. Marie on reliability and understanding the deal, and with Jeff S. on timeliness, as well.

    When you rely primarily on mortgage brokers to bring you the transaction, you really have to be reliable - they've got more options than anyone. (We do take originations from borrowers who don't have a mortgage broker, it's just that the mortgage brokers seem to find us the most.)

    Thanks again, all. Great comments.

    Joffrey Long

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    While costs are of importance, the availability fo funds are most important to a rehabber like myself with multiple porjects always going at once.

    While I have yet to pay hard money rates (12% plus 3 points or more) due to my access to private funds mixed with my own capital, I am always on the lookout for options.

  • Hard Money Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    Many HMLs including myself, will lower their rates, if they know they are dealing with professional and reliable rehabber/borrower.
    I have charged 12% and 3 points in the past, and I have written 8% and no points as well, especially with repeat borrowers who have performed in prev loans.

    Bottom line is the risk / reward relationship.

    [email protected]

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.