Attn: SBA Disaster Loans for Landlords

Attn: SBA Disaster Loans for Landlords

Rental Property Investor 路 Portland, ME 路 Member since 2019 路 160 posts 路 231 votes

Attention!!!!

Landlords / rental property owners in affected areas of the Covid19 pandemic

The SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL) are available for rental property owners if your state has already made the application to the federal gov.

I know Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New York all have. Expect all states to eventually apply.

- These loans are up to $2MM

- The loan terms are 30 years, 3.75% rate

- First 12 months of payments deferred 馃挜

- No prepayment penalty

- Funds are to be used for working capital needs

Apply for free at the following:

https://disasterloan.sba.gov/e... sure to select Economic Injury!

These loans will take a minimum of 3 weeks to get to you so start now! There will be a overload of applicants and this is first come first served. Be prepared and submit a complete package! Details outlined at the link above!

72Reply
9,620 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor 路 Manteno, IL 路 Member since 2009 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
6y

I just submitted my application. The website is struggling. It wouldn't let me upload the files for certain things they require because the upload feature wasn't working. I even tried on internet explorer (somehow that was their preferred brower). But this loan may be huge for landlords with a lot of properties. I have 82 houses. If 50 don't pay the rent, that would be a loss of roughly 70k a month.   That'll eat thru my reserves awfully quick. 

But I saw on the front page of the loan request app that they spefically state that landlords with rentals can get the loan and they even give us the direct instruction as to some selections we need to make (i.e. economic injury - just as David mentioned in his initial post). 

To me, I look at it as though they should be able to make some projections as to losses. Maybe a worst case of 50% collections for a period of 6 to 9 months? And then offer a loan up to that amount. Again, how they come with their numbers will determine how useful the loan will be. A 10k loan is going to do nothing for me. A 100k loan might be the difference in keeping all my payments with the banks current and still having enough money for repairs and the like so I don't lose my houses.

Honestly, a worst case scenario of this going on for 9 months and say 50 percent collections and no option to sell the homes because we couldn't evict the tenants could cause me to lose everything. Its just not a scenario we can plan for. I've always said that there could come a time when there simply weren't enough renters because everyone was able to buy again. Well, that would mean house prices would be huge and i"d just jump on the bandwagon and sell and take my profits.

But how in the world do you account for something like this? Little to rents coming in. No ability to evict the tenants to sell the property as an exit? That just doesn't exist.

But thats why I really believe the sba is going to be super aggressive in these landlord loans. If I can get thru this with all my payments being kept up and the only hit to me is a new loan/debt of say 200k at 3.75%..... guess what, I'll be tickled pink. I can factor that in as the cost of doing business and then show these banks how I was able to survive in one of the worst debacles ever seen. 

We'll find out....... :-)

See this reply in the discussion

975 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor 路 Member since 2018 路 4 posts 路 1 vote
    6y

    Thanks @David Hulit for your valuable insight into this somewhat complicated process!  
    I just submitted my application via the streamlined website version.  I initially started the process Sunday (3/29) using the downloadable form.  The streamlined version seemed much more straight forward.   My submission is solely as a rental property owner/investor, and I used an estimated rental loss amount - 6 months worth.  I'm sure the loan details will be ironed out once the SBA begins processing my application.

  • Member since 2020 路 3 posts 路 0 votes
    6y

    @Thomas Klein:  on the application there is a place for EIN/SSN of a sole Proprietor

  • Real Estate Professional 路 Glendora, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 203 posts 路 17 votes
    6y

    I own a vacation rental in the Palm Springs area and I just applied for the loan. Projected a loss for 6 months. Lets see how it will turn out. 

  • Investor 路 North Haven, CT 路 Member since 2018 路 29 posts 路 18 votes
    6y

    If I already submitted a pdf version of the application. Should I reapply using the new version?

  • Buy and Hold Investor 路 Commack, NY 路 Member since 2008 路 353 posts 路 33 votes
    6y

    @David Hulit Thanks so much for posting this. I'm planning on applying for two entities I own. One's a Corp that does ecommerce among other things and the other is an LLC that deals with my SFR rentals. Hoping to get two $10,000 grants.

  • Investor 路 Cleveland, OH 路 Member since 2014 路 2 posts 路 1 vote
    6y

    @David Hulit

    Do you know how they will factor the value of the loan?

    i.e. the payroll loan is 2.5x monthly payroll

    Will they give a factor of monthly rents or?

    Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 NY 路 Member since 2013 路 844 posts 路 350 votes
    6y

    @David H. For the streamlined application their is no place to put how much you are requesting correct?

    Also could you write a brief list of what documents I should have ready for when they ask for more docs. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 NY 路 Member since 2013 路 844 posts 路 350 votes
    6y

    Has anyone received funds or loan commitment yet?

  • Developer 路 New York City, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 812 posts 路 718 votes
    6y
    @David H., is the SBA or Treasury dept. should hire you as their marketing rep. for small business on this program. A+ on your knowledge, patience and ability to help the community.
  • Union City, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 51 posts 路 11 votes
    6y

    We own a restaurant with 3 partners and our business structure is LLC (in California).

    Of the 3 members, one has average credit, the second one has very poor credit and the third member has excellent credit.

    Will they pull credit (on individual) before approving the loan?

  • Member since 2018 路 10 posts 路 4 votes
    6y
    I also applied yesterday and will share what I did. In hindsight, I wished I would have done 3 apps. I have 3 LLC's with several properties in each. I used one LLC name and the corresponding EIN for that LLC on the app. I used numbers from all 3 for my projections. It was my hope that when I actually got into the process I could then explain that there was actually 3 different LLC's. This was probably a mistake on my part and I may go back and apply with the other two separately. My loss was based on all property income for 12 months/2. I also put 0 for COGS which looking back, should probably be your operating expenses. Streamlined app. is very short and easy and it covers the grant also. Just check the box. I'm hoping any mistakes made on the app can be straightened out once a real person is involved and any incorrect info. will not affect the outcome. Thanks to all for the info. on this thread. I would not have known about this if not for BP.
  • Member since 2018 路 10 posts 路 4 votes
    6y
    Just to add. I did not receive any e-mail, just the confirmation number at the end of the process and it has been about 18 hours.
  • Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2017 路 17 posts 路 0 votes
    6y

    @David Hulit. Hi I am a landlord. The property is not in a business name its in my name. What do I put down as my business legal name? My address to the property as the business name or use my name.

    Also under organization Type should I put independent? Sole proprietorship? Other?

  • Member since 2019 路 13 posts 路 6 votes
    6y

    Do you know if this loan has a due on sale clause or could it be transferred/assumable?

  • Rental Property Investor 路 South Padre Island, TX 路 Member since 2018 路 160 posts 路 157 votes
    6y

    does my property need to be in an LLC to apply for this? I haven't registered mine yet.

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 KY 路 Member since 2013 路 1k+ posts 路 537 votes
    6y

    I have my 5 SFRs in my single member LLC, which has its own EIN. My SMLLC is also disregarded entity for tax purposes. Do I file as sole proprietor or a business with less than 500 employees (which is just me)?

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Sarasota, FL 路 Member since 2017 路 81 posts 路 41 votes
    6y

    It doesn't appear that individuals who own rentals in their own name can apply for this SBA loan, is that correct?

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Portland, ME 路 Member since 2019 路 160 posts 路 231 votes
    6y

    @Andrew DeWeerd

    Hi Andrew, I asked the SBA district office that question yesterday and they stated that landlords with that structure could apply. I agree though the application doesn鈥檛 make it look applicable.

    That being said, the districts have been known to mix it up sometimes. If you would like to ask the SBA directly I find the New Hampshire 9am and 2pm EST call a great way to actually talk to a human there.

    The conference call number for the SBA in NH is 2O2-765-I264 entry code is 522409519#

    I suggest all with nuanced questions to give these conference calls a try. They usually last 20 minutes then they open the line for questions

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 KY 路 Member since 2013 路 1k+ posts 路 537 votes
    6y

    @David H., that number isn鈥檛 working.  Can you please double check it?  Operator error, my bad

  • Rental Property Investor 路 South Padre Island, TX 路 Member since 2018 路 160 posts 路 157 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jeffrey Allen:

    I have to say that was suspiciously simple.  Other than some categories obviously not being designed to consider landlording, that's the most "streamlined" government form I've ever seen.  

    I agree. Why didn't i get asked the projected loss? Is that another form? Or get asked the term of the loan i'd prefer? 

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 KY 路 Member since 2013 路 1k+ posts 路 537 votes
    6y

    Joined the NH SBA call this morning at 9:00am and asked my question about landlords that own properties in SMLLC and whether or not we need to choose business w under 500 employees - even if it's just us and it's a disregarded entity for tax purposes (NOT sole proprietorship).  I believe her name was Rachael from the NH SBA.  She stated that we choose BUSINESS WITH UNDER 500 EMPLOYEES.

  • Real Estate Investor 路 Waukesha, WI 路 Member since 2011 路 5 posts 路 3 votes
    6y

    So is there a way to edit my submission to change the election from sole proprietorship to business with under 500 employees?

  • Accountant 路 Fairhope, AL 路 Member since 2017 路 34 posts 路 19 votes
    6y

    @David Hulit

    https://www.sbc.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/2/9/29fc1ae7-879a-4de0-97d5-ab0a0cb558c8/1BC9E5AB74965E686FC6EBC019EC358F.the-small-business-owner-s-guide-to-the-cares-act-final-.pdf

    This guide from the senate committee is very helpful.

  • Round Lake, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 1 post 路 0 votes
    6y

    On the SBA loan application I chose "Applicant is an individual who operates under a sole proprietorship" and now it's asking me for a Business Legal Name. I just file using a Schedule E. Any suggestions on what to enter?

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Portland, ME 路 Member since 2019 路 160 posts 路 231 votes
    6y

    @Zach Fetcko

    Thanks for sharing Zach!

    The senate guide is definitely useful guide for the EIDL

    Please note that the terms have changed since this publication for the PPP loan portion of the guide

    Most up to date info on PPP is at home.treasury.gov/

    cares (although cares is likely ineligible for rental props)

    Definitely use the senate guide for a high level overview of the EIDL as that info still pertains

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.