We Loaned on a Stolen House

We Loaned on a Stolen House

Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Local wholesaler gets a response from some bandit signs. A homeowner is willing to sell his vacant hoarder house and adjacent lot in a nice area in Los Angeles. Sale price for both properties is something over $500k (I’m not exactly sure). He pays cash, which is unusual for a wholesaler but completely legit, and he closes appropriately thru title and escrow and also obtains an owner’s title policy.

Some weeks later, the wholesaler contacts our borrower, a local and very experienced house flipper, who agrees to buy both properties for $610k. House will take about $75k to fix and end up with an $875k ARV. Not a barn-burner, but the lot next door will be sold quickly for $100k to make this a great deal.

Our borrower’s transaction is handled through the same independent escrow and title company that handled the wholesaler’s purchase. Our borrower gets an owner’s title policy and we obtain lenders title insurance in the amount of $685k. We fund and close like any other normal boring loan.

Two days later, our borrower is standing in the property planning the rehab. A gentleman walks in and asks who he is. He says he’s the new owner. The gentleman says he’s the owner and never sold the property. Uh, oh.

The escrow company calls the notary who witnessed signing the grant deed for the original sale to the wholesaler. At first, she doesn’t return the call but calls back a few days later claiming she lost her notary book or it was stolen. More uh, oh.

Everyone files a title claim and a police report, including us. Title opens an investigation.

I understand the wholesaler, who we never met, sent all his profits to the title company. He’s even. As a result of the great long-term relationship we have with our borrower, we loaned him 100%, so he’s out almost nothing as well, but has been paying for fire and hazard insurance since he closed. We’re out over $600k but with either a legit 1st position lien or a credible title claim. I’m not worried.

I called our lawyer asking if we need to hire him. With almost no info from me, he virtually repeats what happened and what will come. He advises us to sit tight and let title “do their thing.” No need to hire him unless someone files a lawsuit or title denies our claim. He tells me this could take two months or two years to resolve. Aren’t I thrilled.

Title does a four-month investigation, interviewing everyone and their brother. It appears the police (I think?) were able to search bank records and determined the “real” owner never received any money and was telling the truth -- he never sold the property. The grant deed was indeed forged, though we don’t know by whom and I don’t know the involvement of the notary.

It also appears the escrow company, which is an independent escrow (not associated with a title co.), did not require the seller to present himself with proper ID to sign a notarized grant deed. They accepted everything by mail – and obviously from a scammer. You’d think this would violate a title company rule???

We just received a check from title for our principal and interest. We were also owed points but title claimed they were not part of the “indebtedness.” Our lawyer said we could argue but it would take a while and the outcome wasn’t certain. Per his recommendation, we require the value of our lenders title policy must be at least 125% of the loan value. Frankly, we would have been happy just getting our principal back so we’re happier than a pig in you know what. The system worked for us.

This problem it seems occurred because escrow either didn’t follow proper processes or because they didn’t have any. Bottom line is don’t even think about buying or lending on a property without proper title insurance. Make sure your policy will cover all your potential losses.

71Reply
292 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
6y

My wife and I put a title insurance claim in the very first time we purchased a house. I've never done a transaction wherein the buyer did not get title insurance, excluding scenarios such as the following paragraph. 

I also strongly encourage title insurance for quitclaim scenarios. Not long ago, we had a refinance wherein the free/clear property was QC'd to our borrower from several family members years and years prior. To get lender's title insurance and close the $600k cash out refi (this ALSO would have been required to SELL the property, but as a loan originator I do not work with sellers -- only buyers, and owners who are refinancing), the borrower had to chase down every single person on that QC and get them to sign additional paperwork. If one of those various persons had a falling out with our borrower in the meantime, they could have stopped the refinance from going through (or attempted to extort money, etc). This is a new thing in California, in response to things like what happened in OP.

Yes, some will object that title insurance is like mafia protection money. They point out that health insurance plans pay out $95 or $97 in claims for every $100 in insurance premiums collected, but title insurance only pays out less than $20 by that same metric, leading to an unusually large profit margin. I do not disagree. Great, we're all in agreement, it's the mafia. Conclusion remains unchanged: pay the mafia or your legs will get broken. It's a simple as that. 

See this reply in the discussion

65 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 201 posts · 118 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @David M.:

    @Juan Pardo

    There are just more "stuff" to protect yourself in a transaction here.  The Notary just somebody who is supposed to sign off saying that the signing party didn't sign under duress and knew what they were signing for.  That's why its an add-on function to everybody else.  After the Dodd-Frank Act, Title Companies have been doing the Closing Agent function which is basically getting all the documents prepped, signed, and getting them filed.  It used to be the attorneys, but now I'm to understand with all the regulations its actually cheaper and easier to have the Title Companies be the Closing Agent.  Sometimes, a separate Closing Agent company is used, but its the same but different.  I'm not used to having a separate escrow company.  Usually the Closing Agent performs the escrow function.  The Closing Agent handles filing the paperwork with the various municipalities, disbursing the funds out of escrow at closing (with bank checks), etc --- its all the administrative functions.

    The real estate agent is just brokering the deal.  You hear about this a lot about what is their use.  Well, in a very, smooth transaction is there isn't much to do.  But, in a more complicated transaction where issues arises, they serve as another line of communication, less formal than going through the attorneys.  Also, one big job, albeit not very glamorous, is just to open the door (e.g. for inspections, estimates, etc.).  Also, buyers who have a busy"9-5" job could/should rely on their agent to handle a bunch of arrangements, e.g. scheduling inspections, etc.  Yeah, basically we are gloried (or not) secretaries.  But, that's part of brokering the deal.

    I think maybe you need to think of it as functions vs. people/company.  It varies some by locality and/or State in the United States.  For example, northern NJ typically uses attorneys and sourthern NJ doesn't.  For a cash purchase in NJ, you basically need a buyer, a seller, and a Title Company at a minimum.  The buyer comes with the cash (normally in the form of a bank check).  The seller leaves with cash (normally in the form of a bank check).  The Title Company does the Title search, issues the Title Insurance, and can perform the closing agent function handling the transaction in escrow, receiving and disbursing the funds out of escrow, the Notary function of identifying the two parties and attesting they are NOT under duress and understand the transaction, and filing the Deed with the municipality (I think that is your land registry).

    Now, before closing....  There generally is an attorney review period.  The attorneys take a crack at the contract before you legally go under contract.  Also, I generally have the more nitty-gritty terms hammered out here, if any.  Although real estate agents in NJ are provided more "training" and thus "write" the first contract, I want to leave the real legal work with the attorneys.  Then, we have the inspection period, e.g. home inspection, septic inspection, underground tank sweep, well water inspection, etc.  The buyer should do their due diligence to make sure you aren't buying a money pit.  Depending on the circumstances of your transaction, sometime after going under contract the Title search is ordered.  In my area, we tend to wait to the end to do that because if the deal falls apart after inspection, why bother having paid for the Title search.  Lenders hate that about us because that leaves little time to make corrections should a problem be found during the search.  In the case of a loan, the appraisal is preferred to be ordered after inspections for the same reason.  When you deal with National banks (e.g. Chase, Wells Fargo, ...) they order the appraisal immediately.  I've had a few unhappy clients who wonder why they paid $500 for an appraisal when they killed the deal during inspections...

    All that being said, I suppose the Notary can advise on "everything."  I just see it the other way around.  Since anybody and everybody can be a Notary just about, I'm not worried about finding a Notary.  I'm more worried about getting clean Title, having the escrow to protect me, and having somebody prepare and file the documents (e.g. Deed, the closing statement numbers which includes getting final utility readings, etc.).

    I know this was kinda long.  Make any sense? 


    Thanks for the detailed explanation! Is a notary in the US a public authority? I mean, is a notary appointed by the government, a civil servant? Is there a public land registry (where sale and purchase deeds, inheritance, etc) are recorded?

    The way I understand a notary is someone who is way more versed in law than a good attorney, and who can identify the parties, and whose obligation includes reviewing proof of title (the seller does own the property and can sell - not under duress, not mentally handicapped, not unable to understand the terms of the transaction), and even reading the sale and purchase deed and the mortgage deed if any, and has to explain everything that is important to the buyer.

    Are title companies private companies? As a buyer, can you directly review proof of title in the due diligence process? What's so complicated about title? Why a potential buyer cannot review it by himself? I mean, for a standard property it will be a sale and purchase deed, recorded in a registry, and if the buyer retrieves registry info on the property, probably there is the typical mortgage and then uncancelled (but in my country usually paid) tax liens.

    If you find more encumbrances than than on a property record, then it is not a straightforward transaction. It's closer to buying in auction, and then one has to be able to read carefully a property record to see what's going to stay after the auction and how many encumbrances, liens etc will be gone after foreclosure (in the event of a mortgage foreclosure) and the court procedure of auction. For instance in my country, a first mortgage execution means everything behind that is gone after auction, except for some minor taxes on property. However, the execution of a second mortgage, or some special mortgages are a lot more complicated and some encumbrances can stay after court auction.

    If I understand well, escrow means basically withholding funds until certain steps are cleared in the sale and purchase process... so this is like someone dealing with payments. When to pay for each thing, inspection, taxes etc

    Title company = land registry in the US?

    You got me thinking a lot....

  • Developer · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    So the "Seller"  had a bank account to get the wire in proceeds, Banks have "know your customer" rules...Did straw "seller"  set up a false bank account as well?

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Juan Pardo

    Hmm...  First, I think we are hi-jacking this thread here...  But, if nobody minds I'll keep going...

    Well, here is my idea of a Notary:  https://www.nationalnotary.org/knowledge-center/about-notaries .  I think in NJ anybody can sign up as long as they have a clean background.  But, there is nothing about actually having increased legal acumen.  Most bankers are Notaries, but they don't have any additional legal knowledge.  I have some Realtor co-workers that are notaries.  I think some USPS clerks are Notaries since I think you can go to the Post Office to have something Notarized...

    Generally, in the US deeds are recorded at a municipal office.  In NJ, its at the County level.  

    I don't know what you do for a living, but researching the Title history can be difficult.  One wacky thing I've heard is the Deed can be recorded in the County the transaction was completed, not necessarily the County the property resides --- not sure if this is true.  But, you also have to be concerned about mechanics liens, tax liens, etc.  Federal tax liens I THINK are filed in federal court houses, etc.  Anyway, I don't do Title...

    Title companies are private companies.  They are paid for their services so us "commoners" (I've only done a couple dozen property transactions of my own alone) don't have to search through everything to find if there is a cloud on the Title.  After the search is done, you can review the Title binder yourself if you would like.  Also, the Title companies provide the insurance policy for reasons such as in this discussion thread.  What is a mistake has occurred or if the search missed something.  They have the liability, not you.

    Things happen.  For example, when I sold a primary residence, one of the liens (I had refinanced a couple of times) had not been recorded as having been discharged.  So, closing was delayed a week until it could be cleared up.  Other than I don't know how to clear up the Title (other than getting the lender to send a discharge letter and somehow getting it recorded), but I had a full time job.  So, I didn't have time to track eveything down and figure out my way around the County Clerks office to get it recorded...

    Escrow is a 'legal construct' to my knowledge.  Basically, lets say you and i were going to do a transactions, personnally.  I have a wad of cash in my hand.  You have the deed.  Who hands over which first?  If you hand me the deed, who says that I will hand you the cash?  Or vice versa?  Escrow solves this by having a third party who is bound by certain set of conditions.  In my very simple example, I would give the cash to the escrow agent and you would give the Title to the escrow agent.  The condtions would be satisfied and the agent would give us our respective items.  

    By they way, all to just about all of this is highly regulated....

    Out of curiosity, what country are you referring to?

  • Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    @Juan Pardo

    I'm only going to answer your questions about notaries here: we are NOT more well-versed in law than good attorney. Attorneys study the law for years (and usually have to go to law school) and have to pass the bar, which is quite difficult to pass. Notaries in CA take a 6-hour course, and pass a relatively easy test.

    Notaries are meant to protect from fraud such as this situation by verifying the person's identity and having the person appear before us in person. Also by recording every notarization in a journal. Side note: this is another reason I'm quite wary of online notarization... there is so much more potential for fraud.

    We (notaries) CANNOT give legal advice, but a good notary who is knowledgeable about real estate documents can help signers by knowing where to look to find answers to questions in the documents.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    6y

    @Will Snashall around where we live, at each county recorders office online you can set up to get an automatic email when something is done with title on a property. That way you'll get notified if something gets recorded.

  • Real Estate Broker · Central Coast, CA · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Thanks for sharing. Great article

  • Member since 2020 · 201 posts · 118 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @David M.:

    @Juan Pardo

    Hmm...  First, I think we are hi-jacking this thread here...  But, if nobody minds I'll keep going...

    Well, here is my idea of a Notary:  https://www.nationalnotary.org/knowledge-center/about-notaries .  I think in NJ anybody can sign up as long as they have a clean background.  But, there is nothing about actually having increased legal acumen.  Most bankers are Notaries, but they don't have any additional legal knowledge.  I have some Realtor co-workers that are notaries.  I think some USPS clerks are Notaries since I think you can go to the Post Office to have something Notarized...

    Generally, in the US deeds are recorded at a municipal office.  In NJ, its at the County level.  

    I don't know what you do for a living, but researching the Title history can be difficult.  One wacky thing I've heard is the Deed can be recorded in the County the transaction was completed, not necessarily the County the property resides --- not sure if this is true.  But, you also have to be concerned about mechanics liens, tax liens, etc.  Federal tax liens I THINK are filed in federal court houses, etc.  Anyway, I don't do Title...

    Title companies are private companies.  They are paid for their services so us "commoners" (I've only done a couple dozen property transactions of my own alone) don't have to search through everything to find if there is a cloud on the Title.  After the search is done, you can review the Title binder yourself if you would like.  Also, the Title companies provide the insurance policy for reasons such as in this discussion thread.  What is a mistake has occurred or if the search missed something.  They have the liability, not you.

    Things happen.  For example, when I sold a primary residence, one of the liens (I had refinanced a couple of times) had not been recorded as having been discharged.  So, closing was delayed a week until it could be cleared up.  Other than I don't know how to clear up the Title (other than getting the lender to send a discharge letter and somehow getting it recorded), but I had a full time job.  So, I didn't have time to track eveything down and figure out my way around the County Clerks office to get it recorded...

    Escrow is a 'legal construct' to my knowledge.  Basically, lets say you and i were going to do a transactions, personnally.  I have a wad of cash in my hand.  You have the deed.  Who hands over which first?  If you hand me the deed, who says that I will hand you the cash?  Or vice versa?  Escrow solves this by having a third party who is bound by certain set of conditions.  In my very simple example, I would give the cash to the escrow agent and you would give the Title to the escrow agent.  The condtions would be satisfied and the agent would give us our respective items.  

    By they way, all to just about all of this is highly regulated....

    Out of curiosity, what country are you referring to?

    Thanks for your detailed explanations. I was confused because the US system is very different from ours, where closing revolves around a notary public and the land registrar. 

    I was referring to Spain, where I live. Here in order to become a notary public, candidates have to go to law school first and then, after law school, they need to be better than other candidates in a public exam that takes several years to prepare. There are very few openings for this profession and sucessful candidates have to be better than all the other that sit the exam. There is a lot of competition because basically this is an extremely well paid job, and a job for life. Land registrars are responsible for the public recording of property transactions within their jurisdiction. Becoming a land registrar is even harder than becoming a notary public. These people know the law really well.

    So basically transactions regarding property are supervised, governed and administered by government appointed officials, notary public and land registrar, and they can solve any doubts a prospective buyer has about a property transaction.

    Notary offices also can explain buyers how to file the taxes derived from purchasing or selling property, and point them to the relevant IRS offices to liquidate their taxes.

    The land registry here is a nationwide public system where everything is recorded. For instance, I can obtain information on a property asking the relevant registry, and they send me the property file, with everything that has been recorded, mortgages, tax liens, easements, etc etc.. and it can be directly reviewed by the buyer, or one can ask a lawyer to have a look at it.

    So buyer and seller in Spain exchange the check at the notary public office. Sometimes it is needed to withhold some money to liquidate pending payments related to the property (maybe somehow similar to escrow), but this is a minor thing and we do not have to use insurance for any of this since the transaction is done with the supervision of a notary public. 

    I have to learn a lot more about the US system. To me it is baffling that all the information regarding Title cannot be found in one single registry. It does not sound very safe for prospective buyers. There has to be a place where these title companies look to get all the relevant information on a property.. even if you have several administrative layers, federal, state, county etc.. there should be single a registry, or am I mistaken?

  • Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    I thought that we are required to have title insurance when you buy a house. The escrow company sells it to you and they included with the other fees they charge you !!!!   But just filling a claim with the title company and going through this big hassle will make me lose sleep at night !!!!!   

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Shah Popal

    I assume you are back to real estate transactions in the United States.  Honestly, I don't know if its required, but it would seem silly not to as shown by this thread.

    But, a lender will require a lender's policy to protect their interest.  Then, I believe there is a separate policy to protect the homeowner.  At least in NJ, the Title company is the one who underwrites the Title policy.  I don't know about the "escrow company..."  I assume you mean the company functioning as the Closing Agent, which in NJ is many times the Title company.  Remember, one company can do more than one function.

    As far as filing a claim, that's is one reason why I prefer to have a good attorney.  I'd just go back to my attorney to have him or her figure this all out for me.  I can then go back to my daily life and have the professionals sort it all out.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Juan Pardo

    No, the licensed title searches look through various sources, checking for erroneous / duplicate names...  Checking for various encumbrances / liens, not just a first mortgage lien...  and whatever else they do (remember, I don't now how to search Title).  That is why having the back Title can be useful.  If you use it, you only have to search from that Title to present day.

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I have sold 8 properties in CA from 2016 through 2019 in LA County and San Bernardino County.  Each time within a week or two of the deed being recorded I received a letter to the old tax bill address for that property saying that a new deed was recorded and if I did not sell the property to contact a number.

    So, if they are doing that for major counties in CA this type of fraud must be a real problem!

  • Member since 2020 · 201 posts · 118 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @David M.:

    @Juan Pardo

    No, the licensed title searches look through various sources, checking for erroneous / duplicate names...  Checking for various encumbrances / liens, not just a first mortgage lien...  and whatever else they do (remember, I don't now how to search Title).  That is why having the back Title can be useful.  If you use it, you only have to search from that Title to present day.

    Ok, I am going to open a new thread about this.. it's so shocking! Here is the new thread:


    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    100k buildable lot in LA? Hate to call you a liar but there clearly are inaccuracies in this story. 

  • Curtis YoderPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 187 votes
    6y

    Thanks for sharing! I have closed many properties by mail and never met

    the seller. This will definitely give me a reason to pay closer attention

    to the documents and ensure the title company is doing their jobs!

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    Thank you for sharing your experience!  I'm closing on my first investment property in 2 weeks and this story had me wide-eyed!!  I'll be sure to have Title Insurance and trust nobody....I mean, do my due diligence. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 54 votes
    6y

    I always pull Title Prelim when I take a listing.  I review it for any clouds and make sure the seller clears them, ideally before accepting any offers, but at least before COE.  I also tell buyers to get their own title policy and check with their lender to see if they can roll the cost into the loan.  The policy is worth the cost relative to the potential loss.  Thanks for the reality check @Jeff S.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2010 · 366 posts · 314 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Henry Lazerow:

    100k buildable lot in LA? Hate to call you a liar but there clearly are inaccuracies in this story.

    In the same way that "Chicago" doesn't refer only to the tourist area by the waterfront, museums and downtown, the term "Los Angeles" can refer to the entire LA Basin, "Downtown LA" (the tiny little blip of tall buildings where all the freeways merge), or the metro area designated as "City of Los Angeles". Some iconic "LA" areas like Beverly Hills, Malibu and Compton aren't technically Los Angeles at all (but Long Beach is --connected only by a two block wide stretch of land that is 5 miles long).

    A later post by the OP noted that the value of the lot was "at least" $100k. A barely-buildable postage stamp of a lot in an outer part of the LA basin. Yeah, I could see it. A technically build-able in CA is still an expensive gamble. As much as I love my home state, it's crazy. You can spend years and $100k+ jumping through bureaucratic hoops before one shovelful of dirt is turned, OR some city planner decides it isn't REALLY buildable because of set backs, not enough parking, the neighbors sue because they don't want you to cut down the trees, etc etc. 

  • Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    In Ontario, we have a Land Titles Registry which is administered and guaranteed by the provincial government. You can basically look up the property in the registry and be secure that the listed owner is the owner. I gather this is not the case is most US states? I'm just beginning to investigate buying property in the States and I couldn't figure out what the point of escrow was, but if that's the case, it makes way more sense. 

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
  • Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Just learned something very valuable today. Thank you for sharing. As someone on the lower end of the experience scale these are the kinds of things you don’t really think about. Learning from others so that you avoid costly mistakes is why I love BiggerPockets. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    OMG! Huge lesson to us all.  Sorry you had to experience this quagmire but thanks for sharing the experience and the lesson learned.  Plus worth the time to go with a proven title company as well as the 100%+ coverage. Thanks.

  • Member since 2019 · 47 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    Wow!  That's something else but very educational, thanks!

  • Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @David M. Thank you! 

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    This is what I meant when I said "Scared to death", but I'm very grateful for the BiggerPockets forums. Thanks for all the knowledge.

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 8 votes
    6y

    I estimate that the title insurance industry loses over $500M per year to this and related scams. The reason this is is so common is that the parties who are supposed to protect us from this crime do not have the tools to do so. Who are those people that should prevent this crime? Notaries. I call them gatekeepers, but they are like gatekeepers without any weapons. High-quality fake IDs that cannot be detected by the naked eye are readily available to criminals. Last November, Customs seized almost 3000 that arrived from China and were destined for buyers around the US. There is no doubt that this was just one of many shipments, the overwhelming majority of which never get discovered. In addition, many crooks don't bother with fake IDs. When they can get away with it, they just forge the document, signatures and notary stamps. It's easy to do with a modern computer and printer.

    I was a deputy district attorney in the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office from 1999 until 2009, where I prosecuted real estate fraud, including title fraud like this. For the last 11 years, I have had my own private practice in which I represent victims of fraud including title fraud. Several years ago, I represented the true homeowner in a case almost identical to what you described. Because of changing personnel in the title company, nobody could make a decision as to what to do. Eventually, I had to file a quiet title lawsuit to move the matter forward. All told, it took two years from the discovery of the fraud until my client got her property back and the lender got paid.

    Earlier this year, I got a house back for a client who lost it to title fraud in 2001! The bad guys had recorded 18 fraudulent deeds. It was a miracle that God or the Universe or chance (whatever you believe in) brought this client to me. No other attorney could have handled this case...not because I am a better attorney than others, but because I have intimate knowledge of the group of con artists who victimized my client. I have been battling the group for 15 years, so when I looked at the 18 forged deeds, I knew exactly what was going on and I knew what we had to do to get his house back. Any other lawyer would have looked at them and told my client he had no chance of getting the property back. Well, we convinced a federal judge to declare all 18 deeds to be void and to cancel them.

    Anyway, please remember that notaries are critical parties in any real estate transaction. Their primary duty is to verify that the person signing a critical document - such as a deed, a power of attorney, etc. - is who they say they are. Their job is very important.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.