Safe Without Title Insurance?

Safe Without Title Insurance?

Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are searching for methods to open homeownership to low income borrowers. (This is not for investors) There is a trend to use attorney opinion letters rather than title insurance. The title insurance industry was built on the concept of reducing risk for lenders and homeowners. The title company searches history, pulls recordings, looks for clouds, clears up messy problems, then offers insurance to homeowners and lenders.

Attorney Opinion Letters are being floated as an alternative to title insurance as title insurance is one of the largest costs to transferring title.

Let's talk about this... Some investors on here talk about how they decided not to use title insurance. Some investors actually pull a preliminary title report, review it and decide not to pay for the policy and fly on their own. How has this worked for you when #selling?

How do #wholesalers wiggle around #probate #liens and funky deed transfers?

#Voxtur Analytics Corp. (TSXV: VXTR; OTCQB: VXTRF) announced, in response to changes to the Fannie Mae Single Family Selling Guide released today (SEL-2022-03, April 6, 2022), that it offers a fully compliant alternative to title insurance through its Attorney Opinion Letter (AOL) program.

“The promise of technology has largely been lost in the mortgage industry and little has been done to reduce costs for consumers,” said Jim Albertelli, CEO of Voxtur. “Fannie Mae has identified closing costs as a barrier to homeownership. Our Voxtur AOL program immediately and directly reduces those costs, maybe opening the door to homeownership a little wider for more Americans.”

Storm on the horizon or an opportunity?

Caroline Gerardo  NMLS 324982 This is not a endorsement of Attorney Opinion Letters but have you used them? What was the difference in the cost? Title insurance is regulated and disclosed. Eventually this will be regulated by the #CFBP - states and Federal Government. State by states laws vary.

3Reply
141 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
2y

I've purchased at least 8 without title insurance (or lender's insurance obviously).   Savings of $3k each.

I also didn't need a lender-required but buyer-bought appraisal.   Saved another $400-$2500. 

But.. these were in the inland northwest where really old land only goes back to late 1800s vs 1600s New England / east.

I also did a through O&E title search with no deaths,  divorces, unconveys or unaccounted for quitclaims resulting.   

What will the charge be from the attorney opinions that are allowed in lieu?  $300 at least.   Probably $500. They won't be free.  

I am glad costs like these and the forcing  of sellers to pay buyer's agents commissions are under the magnifying glass these days.

Soon hopefully the 5-6% commission standard will feel some heat.  The dominoes of bloat are starting to fall! 

See this reply in the discussion

55 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jarred Ross:
    Quote from @Peter Walther:
    Quote from @Jarred Ross:

     What does a lender's policy cover that's not covered by the owner's policy? 

    Go ahead, require title insurance on a mortgaged deal, no issue there. Government mandated or not. But one policy seems adequate. Why is there a separate fee, equal to the first, that insures the same thing, just a different party? Honest question

    My point is it's the only thing we insure like that. Your car insurance has named insured, so you don't have to pay for each driver separately each month. Maybe there's a small surcharge to add additional drivers. But it's still one policy. This makes more sense to me. 

    But that's a lenders risk to take isn't it? I understand the title industry has a huge financial interest in maintaining the standard, but if it doesn't have some net benefit to consumers does it have a place in the market?  


    There's a world of difference between an owner's and a loan policy particularly when it comes to recovering a loss.

    I just don't see why it even became a requirement instead of a "rider" on the owner's policy. It all requires the same research and legwork right?

    I also wonder what % of total claims goes to paying lender policies compared to owner policies? 

     thats a good point.  but that fraudulent second that got put on one of my loans in SF was paid through my lenders policy.. And in this other case with a company i worked for back in the 80s that had a borrower forge signatures of fake borrowers to the tune of 15 million those all got paid via the lenders policy since the collateral that was used the owners had to no clue there were any loans on their free and clear property.. so it happens more than you think and with all the fraud out there and we dont want to talk about it in detail as to give the bad guys ideas  lenders policy and owners are needed ..  So in this case the folks who owned the homes had a owners policy but it would not cover forgery from a loan they had no clue that had been put on their property years after they had bought it . It was the private investors who funded those loans that relied on their lenders policy to get paid back .. of course title would not pay any interest. it was a mess of epic proportions the guy that did it plead guilty and within 8 months was doing 9 years in San Quention so you can't stop criminal intent and actions, so you need insurance to protect yourself. 

  • Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2015 · 344 posts · 606 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jarred Ross:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Jarred Ross:

    Taking AOL's instead of title insurance is an interesting move from Fannie and Freddie. I wonder if they're hoping to reduce closings costs and allow more buyers into the market? There must be some underlying cause. I've always wondered why it's become customary for the borrower to pay the cost of a lender's policy anyway. Couldn't the policies be combined, to protect the interest of all entitled parties to defects? The double dipping seems like bloat to me, with consumer's shouldering the cost.

    AOL's offering's I've seen all have some type of liability policy in place from the provider. I don't see it as an issue on certain deals, especially in the case of new or newer properties. I'll still be taking owners policies on whatever I buy for now


     closing costs are negotiable between the parties.. just look at wholesalers they make the buyer pay ALL closing costs etc..  you have what is customary in a certain market and it varies across the country.  Customary as in who pays what. 

    I was referring to customary per the lender. Every mortgage I've seen the borrower has to pay the lender's policy. I'm sure there's some out there that differ.


    I'm wondering when and why it became commonplace for lenders to require their own policy, and coincidentally how that become the borrowers problem. 

    When you get a car loan, you don't have to pay a second insurance bill to cover that lender 

    Regarding a vehicle, the insurance you are paying is actually for the lender and not you as the lender actually is the title holder until you pay them off.

    The reason the borrower pays for the lender title policy is because it is them requesting the loan.  

    The reason that the lender requires title insurance is simply because the owner’s policy does not cover them as a lost payee.  

    However, this is the exact same policy that the owner is paying for so there is a reissue discount given and it is actually a minor cost to close.

  • Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2015 · 344 posts · 606 votes
    2y

    As for myself, I think title insurance is both a self serving institution and a necessary evil.

    99 times out of 100 it never amounts to anything, and the 1 time out of 100 that a transaction finds an issue, they use tools they have created with other underwriters, like indemnification letters or quit claim deeds to nullify the policy, to kick the can down the road or remove their liability all together.

    However, the one time you need it, you sure are glad you got it.

    My favorite saying about title insurance is, “it doesn’t matter if it’s right or wrong, it’s what they’ll underwrite.”

    I know how to read chain of titles and find and fix most title issues, so in some of my investing strategies I will take the properties “subject to all liens and encumbrances,” without title insurance.

    However, there still is a limit. I use a risk and reward methodology to determine when i consider my risk too high to go without a policy.

    Voxtur’s statement regarding a fully compliant alternative kind of sounds like a red herring.

    In the end, the purpose of title insurance is to mitigate the risk to the seller and also mitigate the risk to the lender.

    The attorney is taking the risk based on an attorney opinion letter that takes the risk against their practice.  This requires insurance for themselves.  
    Bottom line it still goes back to insurance.

    It’s just another name but it’s still title insurance.

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    If you read the April 6, 2022 announcement it's clear this relates only to lender's title insurance. How attempting to shift liability for lender policy claims away from title insurers onto attorney E&O insurers will improve homeownership is a mystery.

    IMO this will just increase the cost of obtaining an attorney title opinion. Hmm... I think I have a good idea on how to calculate that cost.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Dey:

    As for myself, I think title insurance is both a self serving institution and a necessary evil.

    99 times out of 100 it never amounts to anything, and the 1 time out of 100 that a transaction finds an issue, they use tools they have created with other underwriters, like indemnification letters or quit claim deeds to nullify the policy, to kick the can down the road or remove their liability all together.

    However, the one time you need it, you sure are glad you got it.

    My favorite saying about title insurance is, “it doesn’t matter if it’s right or wrong, it’s what they’ll underwrite.”

    I know how to read chain of titles and find and fix most title issues, so in some of my investing strategies I will take the properties “subject to all liens and encumbrances,” without title insurance.

    However, there still is a limit. I use a risk and reward methodology to determine when i consider my risk too high to go without a policy.

    Voxtur’s statement regarding a fully compliant alternative kind of sounds like a red herring.

    In the end, the purpose of title insurance is to mitigate the risk to the seller and also mitigate the risk to the lender.

    The attorney is taking the risk based on an attorney opinion letter that takes the risk against their practice.  This requires insurance for themselves.  
    Bottom line it still goes back to insurance.

    It’s just another name but it’s still title insurance.


    The way of the capitalist is to make as much money as possible and insurance companies are capitalist in nature.

    I'm not sure if you're referring to the search and examination of title, but if you are, I don't know where you're getting your stats.  Based on my actual experience searching and examining title, underwriting transactions and investigation and resolving title claims for a living, I can tell you I can probably find a defect somewhere in just about every chain of title.

    A letter of indemnification (LOI) is used between underwriters when a subsequent search and exam finds a defect that went undetected by the prior search and exam. When they first came into fashion in the 1990s (during the time of the RTC and the great Savings and Loan collapse), so many were being issued that some underwriters had whole departments dedicated to doing nothing but issuing them. Issuing them was so time consuming, underwriters came up with the Mutual Indemnification Agreement, which set out the criteria under which indemnification is automatic and no LOI is needed. Reliance on MIAs is a daily occurrence, which I think belies your argument that identifying defects is rare.

    I would appreciate it if you can tell me how you can tell by reading a deed if it's a forgery or if the grantor was incompetent at the time of signing?

    Lastly, since it appears you do business in Florida, you might find the Florida Supreme Court's decision in Mayfield v. First City, which explains there can be documents that effect property that are not indexed in the public records, interesting.  

    Mayfield v. First City Bank of Fla., 95 So. 3d 398 | Casetext Search + Citator

    I understand the desire to save time and money, but title insurance protects the insured against a covered loss caused by things that just can't be found.  You can also be self-insured for the loss of the improvements by forgoing homeowners' insurance.  Due to the rising cost, many Floridians are doing that also.
     

  • Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2015 · 344 posts · 606 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Peter Walther:
    Quote from @David Dey:

    As for myself, I think title insurance is both a self serving institution and a necessary evil.

    99 times out of 100 it never amounts to anything, and the 1 time out of 100 that a transaction finds an issue, they use tools they have created with other underwriters, like indemnification letters or quit claim deeds to nullify the policy, to kick the can down the road or remove their liability all together.

    However, the one time you need it, you sure are glad you got it.

    My favorite saying about title insurance is, “it doesn’t matter if it’s right or wrong, it’s what they’ll underwrite.”

    I know how to read chain of titles and find and fix most title issues, so in some of my investing strategies I will take the properties “subject to all liens and encumbrances,” without title insurance.

    However, there still is a limit. I use a risk and reward methodology to determine when i consider my risk too high to go without a policy.

    Voxtur’s statement regarding a fully compliant alternative kind of sounds like a red herring.

    In the end, the purpose of title insurance is to mitigate the risk to the seller and also mitigate the risk to the lender.

    The attorney is taking the risk based on an attorney opinion letter that takes the risk against their practice.  This requires insurance for themselves.  
    Bottom line it still goes back to insurance.

    It’s just another name but it’s still title insurance.


    The way of the capitalist is to make as much money as possible and insurance companies are capitalist in nature.

    I'm not sure if you're referring to the search and examination of title, but if you are, I don't know where you're getting your stats.  Based on my actual experience searching and examining title, underwriting transactions and investigation and resolving title claims for a living, I can tell you I can probably find a defect somewhere in just about every chain of title.

    A letter of indemnification (LOI) is used between underwriters when a subsequent search and exam finds a defect that went undetected by the prior search and exam. When they first came into fashion in the 1990s (during the time of the RTC and the great Savings and Loan collapse), so many were being issued that some underwriters had whole departments dedicated to doing nothing but issuing them. Issuing them was so time consuming, underwriters came up with the Mutual Indemnification Agreement, which set out the criteria under which indemnification is automatic and no LOI is needed. Reliance on MIAs is a daily occurrence, which I think belies your argument that identifying defects is rare.

    I would appreciate it if you can tell me how you can tell by reading a deed if it's a forgery or if the grantor was incompetent at the time of signing?

    Lastly, since it appears you do business in Florida, you might find the Florida Supreme Court's decision in Mayfield v. First City, which explains there can be documents that effect property that are not indexed in the public records, interesting.  

    Mayfield v. First City Bank of Fla., 95 So. 3d 398 | Casetext Search + Citator

    I understand the desire to save time and money, but title insurance protects the insured against a covered loss caused by things that just can't be found.  You can also be self-insured for the loss of the improvements by forgoing homeowners' insurance.  Due to the rising cost, many Floridians are doing that also.
     

    When I am talking about 1 out of 100, I’m speaking of an error made by the researcher or underwriter not covered as an exception thus requiring a claim that will cost the underwriter to either pay the claim or cure the issue.

    I know you misunderstood my statement there, so we’ll move on.  I agree, almost every file will have an issue that needs to be dealt with between the last link in the chain of title and now. 
    the last mortgage to be paid off would be the most likely defect.

    The LOI is an example of the underwriters coming up with a mutually protective tool to “kick the can down the road,” as an issue or defect could be pushed on and on to infinity until someone actually made a claim.

    To answer your question, a number of ways I have seen and identified forged docs was when they didn’t correspond to dates of death, matching signatures from one document established by verifiable source, like atty or title company created and recorded documents , (mtg other deeds, etc…) notaries verifying signatures contrary to verified information. (Notarized deed in one state when signor was in jail in another, etc)  

    In most cases there are tell tale signs either regarding the document or the transaction that will lead one to suspect that something is fishy and requires additional verification.

    Finally, yes I am aware that there are additional items and documents that might effect title where recorded or not.

    In most cases, these will be municipal in nature and will have ways to be researched.

    Other than municipal issues, In Florida we are a first to record state.  Subject to notification either by public notification, constructive notification or actual provable knowledge, a bonified purchaser for valuable consideration is protected.

    Again, I have my limits as to what risk I am willing to take regarding taking title without title insurance.  This is based on my specific risk tolerance of ROI vs PIA.  (Return on investment vs pain in the… butt)
      
    Finally, the biggest point I was making is AOL is still title insurance, either by atty or underwriter and will still end up being the same thing.

    I hope this clarifies my previous post.
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Peter Walther:
    Quote from @David Dey:

    As for myself, I think title insurance is both a self serving institution and a necessary evil.

    99 times out of 100 it never amounts to anything, and the 1 time out of 100 that a transaction finds an issue, they use tools they have created with other underwriters, like indemnification letters or quit claim deeds to nullify the policy, to kick the can down the road or remove their liability all together.

    However, the one time you need it, you sure are glad you got it.

    My favorite saying about title insurance is, “it doesn’t matter if it’s right or wrong, it’s what they’ll underwrite.”

    I know how to read chain of titles and find and fix most title issues, so in some of my investing strategies I will take the properties “subject to all liens and encumbrances,” without title insurance.

    However, there still is a limit. I use a risk and reward methodology to determine when i consider my risk too high to go without a policy.

    Voxtur’s statement regarding a fully compliant alternative kind of sounds like a red herring.

    In the end, the purpose of title insurance is to mitigate the risk to the seller and also mitigate the risk to the lender.

    The attorney is taking the risk based on an attorney opinion letter that takes the risk against their practice.  This requires insurance for themselves.  
    Bottom line it still goes back to insurance.

    It’s just another name but it’s still title insurance.


    The way of the capitalist is to make as much money as possible and insurance companies are capitalist in nature.

    I'm not sure if you're referring to the search and examination of title, but if you are, I don't know where you're getting your stats.  Based on my actual experience searching and examining title, underwriting transactions and investigation and resolving title claims for a living, I can tell you I can probably find a defect somewhere in just about every chain of title.

    A letter of indemnification (LOI) is used between underwriters when a subsequent search and exam finds a defect that went undetected by the prior search and exam. When they first came into fashion in the 1990s (during the time of the RTC and the great Savings and Loan collapse), so many were being issued that some underwriters had whole departments dedicated to doing nothing but issuing them. Issuing them was so time consuming, underwriters came up with the Mutual Indemnification Agreement, which set out the criteria under which indemnification is automatic and no LOI is needed. Reliance on MIAs is a daily occurrence, which I think belies your argument that identifying defects is rare.

    I would appreciate it if you can tell me how you can tell by reading a deed if it's a forgery or if the grantor was incompetent at the time of signing?

    Lastly, since it appears you do business in Florida, you might find the Florida Supreme Court's decision in Mayfield v. First City, which explains there can be documents that effect property that are not indexed in the public records, interesting.  

    Mayfield v. First City Bank of Fla., 95 So. 3d 398 | Casetext Search + Citator

    I understand the desire to save time and money, but title insurance protects the insured against a covered loss caused by things that just can't be found.  You can also be self-insured for the loss of the improvements by forgoing homeowners' insurance.  Due to the rising cost, many Floridians are doing that also.
     


     Exactly Peter forgery COMES TO LIGHT way after the fact. 

  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Dey:
    Quote from @Peter Walther:
    Quote from @David Dey:

    As for myself, I think title insurance is both a self serving institution and a necessary evil.

    99 times out of 100 it never amounts to anything, and the 1 time out of 100 that a transaction finds an issue, they use tools they have created with other underwriters, like indemnification letters or quit claim deeds to nullify the policy, to kick the can down the road or remove their liability all together.

    However, the one time you need it, you sure are glad you got it.

    My favorite saying about title insurance is, “it doesn’t matter if it’s right or wrong, it’s what they’ll underwrite.”

    I know how to read chain of titles and find and fix most title issues, so in some of my investing strategies I will take the properties “subject to all liens and encumbrances,” without title insurance.

    However, there still is a limit. I use a risk and reward methodology to determine when i consider my risk too high to go without a policy.

    Voxtur’s statement regarding a fully compliant alternative kind of sounds like a red herring.

    In the end, the purpose of title insurance is to mitigate the risk to the seller and also mitigate the risk to the lender.

    The attorney is taking the risk based on an attorney opinion letter that takes the risk against their practice.  This requires insurance for themselves.  
    Bottom line it still goes back to insurance.

    It’s just another name but it’s still title insurance.


    The way of the capitalist is to make as much money as possible and insurance companies are capitalist in nature.

    I'm not sure if you're referring to the search and examination of title, but if you are, I don't know where you're getting your stats.  Based on my actual experience searching and examining title, underwriting transactions and investigation and resolving title claims for a living, I can tell you I can probably find a defect somewhere in just about every chain of title.

    A letter of indemnification (LOI) is used between underwriters when a subsequent search and exam finds a defect that went undetected by the prior search and exam. When they first came into fashion in the 1990s (during the time of the RTC and the great Savings and Loan collapse), so many were being issued that some underwriters had whole departments dedicated to doing nothing but issuing them. Issuing them was so time consuming, underwriters came up with the Mutual Indemnification Agreement, which set out the criteria under which indemnification is automatic and no LOI is needed. Reliance on MIAs is a daily occurrence, which I think belies your argument that identifying defects is rare.

    I would appreciate it if you can tell me how you can tell by reading a deed if it's a forgery or if the grantor was incompetent at the time of signing?

    Lastly, since it appears you do business in Florida, you might find the Florida Supreme Court's decision in Mayfield v. First City, which explains there can be documents that effect property that are not indexed in the public records, interesting.  

    Mayfield v. First City Bank of Fla., 95 So. 3d 398 | Casetext Search + Citator

    I understand the desire to save time and money, but title insurance protects the insured against a covered loss caused by things that just can't be found.  You can also be self-insured for the loss of the improvements by forgoing homeowners' insurance.  Due to the rising cost, many Floridians are doing that also.
     

    When I am talking about 1 out of 100, I’m speaking of an error made by the researcher or underwriter not covered as an exception thus requiring a claim that will cost the underwriter to either pay the claim or cure the issue.

    I know you misunderstood my statement there, so we’ll move on.  I agree, almost every file will have an issue that needs to be dealt with between the last link in the chain of title and now. 
    the last mortgage to be paid off would be the most likely defect.

    The LOI is an example of the underwriters coming up with a mutually protective tool to “kick the can down the road,” as an issue or defect could be pushed on and on to infinity until someone actually made a claim.

    To answer your question, a number of ways I have seen and identified forged docs was when they didn’t correspond to dates of death, matching signatures from one document established by verifiable source, like atty or title company created and recorded documents , (mtg other deeds, etc…) notaries verifying signatures contrary to verified information. (Notarized deed in one state when signor was in jail in another, etc)  

    In most cases there are tell tale signs either regarding the document or the transaction that will lead one to suspect that something is fishy and requires additional verification.

    Finally, yes I am aware that there are additional items and documents that might effect title where recorded or not.

    In most cases, these will be municipal in nature and will have ways to be researched.

    Other than municipal issues, In Florida we are a first to record state.  Subject to notification either by public notification, constructive notification or actual provable knowledge, a bonified purchaser for valuable consideration is protected.

    Again, I have my limits as to what risk I am willing to take regarding taking title without title insurance.  This is based on my specific risk tolerance of ROI vs PIA.  (Return on investment vs pain in the… butt)
      
    Finally, the biggest point I was making is AOL is still title insurance, either by atty or underwriter and will still end up being the same thing.

    I hope this clarifies my previous post.

    I don't know if that's an accurate claim or not since you failed to mention your source.

    I believe I understood your statement, I just disagree with it based on my experience, subject to change pending identification of your source.  I also disagree the seller's unsatisfied mortgage is a defect in title.  Conveying title to the buyer without satisfying the mortgage might create a defect in title.

    An LOI is not mutually protective, the MIA is. I do agree both are kicking a can down the road. I also believe relying on either, without disclosing the matter to the insured, could be seen as a fraud on the insured, though most others in the industry disagree.

    In truth I have relied on some of the same methods to try identifying forged instruments, though I wouldn't bet much money on getting it right.  Additionally, if you're checking all the prisons and jailhouse records in the country for indicia of fraud, I can't imagine how long your search takes.

    My crystal ball is cloudy.

    The point of the decision is that the prior mortgage was in fact recorded and therefore constructive notice, even though it was not indexed.  Generally, an unrecorded document does not burden property acquired by a BFP.

    I think the term you're looking for is Florida is a notice state, as opposed to a race state or a hybrid race/notice state.

    An AOL is not title insurance since to write insurance you need to meet a states very restrictive requirements to do so and be issued a license.

    It clarifies your post, yet does not make it correct.

  • Financial Advisor · Member since 2020 · 69 posts · 35 votes
    2y

    If you ever have a title issue you will kick yourself for not getting title insurance.  IMHO.  

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    In order to prevail with an attorney opinion letter involved you need to prove malpractice... duty, breach, causation and damages. Without getting too deep that's much different than an insurance contract.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Mark WilliamsPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2010 · 63 posts · 35 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Doug Smith:

    No way...heck no


     Well said! 

  • Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2015 · 344 posts · 606 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Peter Walther:
    Quote from @David Dey:
    Quote from @Peter Walther:
    Quote from @David Dey:

    As for myself, I think title insurance is both a self serving institution and a necessary evil.

    99 times out of 100 it never amounts to anything, and the 1 time out of 100 that a transaction finds an issue, they use tools they have created with other underwriters, like indemnification letters or quit claim deeds to nullify the policy, to kick the can down the road or remove their liability all together.

    However, the one time you need it, you sure are glad you got it.

    My favorite saying about title insurance is, “it doesn’t matter if it’s right or wrong, it’s what they’ll underwrite.”

    I know how to read chain of titles and find and fix most title issues, so in some of my investing strategies I will take the properties “subject to all liens and encumbrances,” without title insurance.

    However, there still is a limit. I use a risk and reward methodology to determine when i consider my risk too high to go without a policy.

    Voxtur’s statement regarding a fully compliant alternative kind of sounds like a red herring.

    In the end, the purpose of title insurance is to mitigate the risk to the seller and also mitigate the risk to the lender.

    The attorney is taking the risk based on an attorney opinion letter that takes the risk against their practice.  This requires insurance for themselves.  
    Bottom line it still goes back to insurance.

    It’s just another name but it’s still title insurance.


    The way of the capitalist is to make as much money as possible and insurance companies are capitalist in nature.

    I'm not sure if you're referring to the search and examination of title, but if you are, I don't know where you're getting your stats.  Based on my actual experience searching and examining title, underwriting transactions and investigation and resolving title claims for a living, I can tell you I can probably find a defect somewhere in just about every chain of title.

    A letter of indemnification (LOI) is used between underwriters when a subsequent search and exam finds a defect that went undetected by the prior search and exam. When they first came into fashion in the 1990s (during the time of the RTC and the great Savings and Loan collapse), so many were being issued that some underwriters had whole departments dedicated to doing nothing but issuing them. Issuing them was so time consuming, underwriters came up with the Mutual Indemnification Agreement, which set out the criteria under which indemnification is automatic and no LOI is needed. Reliance on MIAs is a daily occurrence, which I think belies your argument that identifying defects is rare.

    I would appreciate it if you can tell me how you can tell by reading a deed if it's a forgery or if the grantor was incompetent at the time of signing?

    Lastly, since it appears you do business in Florida, you might find the Florida Supreme Court's decision in Mayfield v. First City, which explains there can be documents that effect property that are not indexed in the public records, interesting.  

    Mayfield v. First City Bank of Fla., 95 So. 3d 398 | Casetext Search + Citator

    I understand the desire to save time and money, but title insurance protects the insured against a covered loss caused by things that just can't be found.  You can also be self-insured for the loss of the improvements by forgoing homeowners' insurance.  Due to the rising cost, many Floridians are doing that also.
     

    When I am talking about 1 out of 100, I’m speaking of an error made by the researcher or underwriter not covered as an exception thus requiring a claim that will cost the underwriter to either pay the claim or cure the issue.

    I know you misunderstood my statement there, so we’ll move on.  I agree, almost every file will have an issue that needs to be dealt with between the last link in the chain of title and now. 
    the last mortgage to be paid off would be the most likely defect.

    The LOI is an example of the underwriters coming up with a mutually protective tool to “kick the can down the road,” as an issue or defect could be pushed on and on to infinity until someone actually made a claim.

    To answer your question, a number of ways I have seen and identified forged docs was when they didn’t correspond to dates of death, matching signatures from one document established by verifiable source, like atty or title company created and recorded documents , (mtg other deeds, etc…) notaries verifying signatures contrary to verified information. (Notarized deed in one state when signor was in jail in another, etc)  

    In most cases there are tell tale signs either regarding the document or the transaction that will lead one to suspect that something is fishy and requires additional verification.

    Finally, yes I am aware that there are additional items and documents that might effect title where recorded or not.

    In most cases, these will be municipal in nature and will have ways to be researched.

    Other than municipal issues, In Florida we are a first to record state.  Subject to notification either by public notification, constructive notification or actual provable knowledge, a bonified purchaser for valuable consideration is protected.

    Again, I have my limits as to what risk I am willing to take regarding taking title without title insurance.  This is based on my specific risk tolerance of ROI vs PIA.  (Return on investment vs pain in the… butt)
      
    Finally, the biggest point I was making is AOL is still title insurance, either by atty or underwriter and will still end up being the same thing.

    I hope this clarifies my previous post.

    I don't know if that's an accurate claim or not since you failed to mention your source.

    I believe I understood your statement, I just disagree with it based on my experience, subject to change pending identification of your source.  I also disagree the seller's unsatisfied mortgage is a defect in title.  Conveying title to the buyer without satisfying the mortgage might create a defect in title.

    An LOI is not mutually protective, the MIA is. I do agree both are kicking a can down the road. I also believe relying on either, without disclosing the matter to the insured, could be seen as a fraud on the insured, though most others in the industry disagree.

    In truth I have relied on some of the same methods to try identifying forged instruments, though I wouldn't bet much money on getting it right.  Additionally, if you're checking all the prisons and jailhouse records in the country for indicia of fraud, I can't imagine how long your search takes.

    My crystal ball is cloudy.

    The point of the decision is that the prior mortgage was in fact recorded and therefore constructive notice, even though it was not indexed.  Generally, an unrecorded document does not burden property acquired by a BFP.

    I think the term you're looking for is Florida is a notice state, as opposed to a race state or a hybrid race/notice state.

    An AOL is not title insurance since to write insurance you need to meet a states very restrictive requirements to do so and be issued a license.

    It clarifies your post, yet does not make it correct.

    To be clear since we are splitting hairs, 1 out of 100 is a euphemism for a vast majority do not require claims because people like you do your jobs correctly.  If this is not the case, we may need to deal with the purpose of having you researchers around in the first place.  JK. I can absolutely tell from your posts that you are meticulous at what you do.  

    Maybe I am being a little idealistic when I think that your industry does their job.

    (PS a mtg is defect on clear title if it has to be cleared in order to provide a clear title without exceptions.  Again this is a splitting of hairs because we ARE actually in agreement with this statement, but since you wanted to point this out I am addressing it.)

    Regarding LOIs, I appreciate your thoughts on this. However you being an idealist doesn't make me wrong. LOI as a systematic tool is most definitely mutually protective tool as are tools like it. Today First American gave you the LOI tomorrow they get one right back from Old Republic on a different file. And as you said, most of the industry disagrees with you about notifying the potential claimants, which makes my point all the more. (MIA I'm not familiar with, May be a brainfart but I don't know what this one stands for, so I may know it by another name)

    Yes regarding deeds and such, I have a clearer crystal ball than most but having done this for over 25 years and being a part of over 2000 individual transaction (yes I am aware you've been doing it longer and have probably done more as a title abstractor so I'm not saying the numbers for competition just to point out my track record with my strategy is working out pretty well so far) I have come to the realization that usually if one thing ends up stinking, one should have probably noticed other issues as well that would have set off your BS meter.  

    And yes, thank you for clearing up my mistaken word.  This of course didn't nullify my point.

    Finally, you are correct.  AOL is not title insurance as defined by an insurance policy covered by an underwriter and bound by an attorney or title insurance broker.  (yes that's what they are)

    AOL is title insurance as an attorney is placing his name, license, and assets behind his review of the title to INSURE the lender that they are protected.  

    This in itself will not end up being sufficient if they are wrong even 1 out of 100 times. Therefore they also have E&O insurance to also cover their claim.

    If this type of coverage becomes more mainstream, the e&o will not be enough to cover and they will have to up their coverage, which will most likely end up being sold and covered by new products for attorneys, underwritten by names such as First American, Old Republic and WFG.

    "New product," same old programs.  

    I stand by my statements.  

  • Doug SmithPro Member
    Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mark Williams:
    Quote from @Doug Smith:

    No way...heck no


     Well said! 


     yeah...I'm quite the wordsmith. 

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @David Dey @Peter Walther is referring to the Mutual Indemnity Agreements entered into by most of the major title insurers which eliminate the need to obtain an LOI between participating insurers when the title defect meets certain criteria.

    And I disagree about whether there is discretion to disclose to the insured. It must be done according to insurer guidelines (at least around here) including the following:

    -Disclose the title defect to all parties involved in the transaction and state that you are not excepting the matter from coverage because of the existence of an indemnity or prior [insurer] policy.

    -Obtain a signed acknowledgment and acceptance of the disclosure from all notified parties. 

    -Obtain the full prior OTP (or LTP if foreclosure or DIL), complete the required checklist, save to file and send to insurer.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Title Representative · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 66 votes
    2y

    Sometimes, when doing certain types of subto deals, we cannot obtain title insurance. We often close anyway, if a comprehensive review of title history comes back clean. The buyers have to sign a "waiver of title insurance" to acknowledge the risk. 

    I LITERALLY just closed 2 in Oklahoma this week without title insurance of any kind (FHA mortgages that title companies wouldn't close and insure).

    That said, you may also be able to buy on seller finance with a Contract for Deed or Land Contract and so long as title doesn't legally transfer from the seller to the buyer, that seller's title insurance remains valid on the property... There are plenty of other considerations to factor before simply opting for that route though. It's a whole contextual discussion that needs to factor the seller and buyers' separate needs and desired outcomes, state law, etc.

  • Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joe Vesey:

    If you ever have a title issue you will kick yourself for not getting title insurance.  IMHO.  


    Title insurers are just that...insurers. I just had my first title claim in 23 years of investing and even with the insurer admitting in writing the claim was valid and their responsibility, I still had to hire my own counsel to get the attorney for the underwriter to get off dead center and clear my title. Yes, I get title insurance. Yes, I understand all insurers will take a premium and do all they can to not pay out. 

  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tom Gimer:

    In order to prevail with an attorney opinion letter involved you need to prove malpractice... duty, breach, causation and damages. Without getting too deep that's much different than an insurance contract.


    Agreed, and you also have to hope the attorney is alive when the problem arises and (s)he's solvent and able to pay a damage award.

  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Dey:
    Quote from @Peter Walther:
    Quote from @David Dey:
    Quote from @Peter Walther:
    Quote from @David Dey:

    As for myself, I think title insurance is both a self serving institution and a necessary evil.

    99 times out of 100 it never amounts to anything, and the 1 time out of 100 that a transaction finds an issue, they use tools they have created with other underwriters, like indemnification letters or quit claim deeds to nullify the policy, to kick the can down the road or remove their liability all together.

    However, the one time you need it, you sure are glad you got it.

    My favorite saying about title insurance is, “it doesn’t matter if it’s right or wrong, it’s what they’ll underwrite.”

    I know how to read chain of titles and find and fix most title issues, so in some of my investing strategies I will take the properties “subject to all liens and encumbrances,” without title insurance.

    However, there still is a limit. I use a risk and reward methodology to determine when i consider my risk too high to go without a policy.

    Voxtur’s statement regarding a fully compliant alternative kind of sounds like a red herring.

    In the end, the purpose of title insurance is to mitigate the risk to the seller and also mitigate the risk to the lender.

    The attorney is taking the risk based on an attorney opinion letter that takes the risk against their practice.  This requires insurance for themselves.  
    Bottom line it still goes back to insurance.

    It’s just another name but it’s still title insurance.


    The way of the capitalist is to make as much money as possible and insurance companies are capitalist in nature.

    I'm not sure if you're referring to the search and examination of title, but if you are, I don't know where you're getting your stats.  Based on my actual experience searching and examining title, underwriting transactions and investigation and resolving title claims for a living, I can tell you I can probably find a defect somewhere in just about every chain of title.

    A letter of indemnification (LOI) is used between underwriters when a subsequent search and exam finds a defect that went undetected by the prior search and exam. When they first came into fashion in the 1990s (during the time of the RTC and the great Savings and Loan collapse), so many were being issued that some underwriters had whole departments dedicated to doing nothing but issuing them. Issuing them was so time consuming, underwriters came up with the Mutual Indemnification Agreement, which set out the criteria under which indemnification is automatic and no LOI is needed. Reliance on MIAs is a daily occurrence, which I think belies your argument that identifying defects is rare.

    I would appreciate it if you can tell me how you can tell by reading a deed if it's a forgery or if the grantor was incompetent at the time of signing?

    Lastly, since it appears you do business in Florida, you might find the Florida Supreme Court's decision in Mayfield v. First City, which explains there can be documents that effect property that are not indexed in the public records, interesting.  

    Mayfield v. First City Bank of Fla., 95 So. 3d 398 | Casetext Search + Citator

    I understand the desire to save time and money, but title insurance protects the insured against a covered loss caused by things that just can't be found.  You can also be self-insured for the loss of the improvements by forgoing homeowners' insurance.  Due to the rising cost, many Floridians are doing that also.
     

    When I am talking about 1 out of 100, I’m speaking of an error made by the researcher or underwriter not covered as an exception thus requiring a claim that will cost the underwriter to either pay the claim or cure the issue.

    I know you misunderstood my statement there, so we’ll move on.  I agree, almost every file will have an issue that needs to be dealt with between the last link in the chain of title and now. 
    the last mortgage to be paid off would be the most likely defect.

    The LOI is an example of the underwriters coming up with a mutually protective tool to “kick the can down the road,” as an issue or defect could be pushed on and on to infinity until someone actually made a claim.

    To answer your question, a number of ways I have seen and identified forged docs was when they didn’t correspond to dates of death, matching signatures from one document established by verifiable source, like atty or title company created and recorded documents , (mtg other deeds, etc…) notaries verifying signatures contrary to verified information. (Notarized deed in one state when signor was in jail in another, etc)  

    In most cases there are tell tale signs either regarding the document or the transaction that will lead one to suspect that something is fishy and requires additional verification.

    Finally, yes I am aware that there are additional items and documents that might effect title where recorded or not.

    In most cases, these will be municipal in nature and will have ways to be researched.

    Other than municipal issues, In Florida we are a first to record state.  Subject to notification either by public notification, constructive notification or actual provable knowledge, a bonified purchaser for valuable consideration is protected.

    Again, I have my limits as to what risk I am willing to take regarding taking title without title insurance.  This is based on my specific risk tolerance of ROI vs PIA.  (Return on investment vs pain in the… butt)
      
    Finally, the biggest point I was making is AOL is still title insurance, either by atty or underwriter and will still end up being the same thing.

    I hope this clarifies my previous post.

    I don't know if that's an accurate claim or not since you failed to mention your source.

    I believe I understood your statement, I just disagree with it based on my experience, subject to change pending identification of your source.  I also disagree the seller's unsatisfied mortgage is a defect in title.  Conveying title to the buyer without satisfying the mortgage might create a defect in title.

    An LOI is not mutually protective, the MIA is. I do agree both are kicking a can down the road. I also believe relying on either, without disclosing the matter to the insured, could be seen as a fraud on the insured, though most others in the industry disagree.

    In truth I have relied on some of the same methods to try identifying forged instruments, though I wouldn't bet much money on getting it right.  Additionally, if you're checking all the prisons and jailhouse records in the country for indicia of fraud, I can't imagine how long your search takes.

    My crystal ball is cloudy.

    The point of the decision is that the prior mortgage was in fact recorded and therefore constructive notice, even though it was not indexed.  Generally, an unrecorded document does not burden property acquired by a BFP.

    I think the term you're looking for is Florida is a notice state, as opposed to a race state or a hybrid race/notice state.

    An AOL is not title insurance since to write insurance you need to meet a states very restrictive requirements to do so and be issued a license.

    It clarifies your post, yet does not make it correct.

    To be clear since we are splitting hairs, 1 out of 100 is a euphemism for a vast majority do not require claims because people like you do your jobs correctly.  If this is not the case, we may need to deal with the purpose of having you researchers around in the first place.  JK. I can absolutely tell from your posts that you are meticulous at what you do.  

    Maybe I am being a little idealistic when I think that your industry does their job.

    (PS a mtg is defect on clear title if it has to be cleared in order to provide a clear title without exceptions.  Again this is a splitting of hairs because we ARE actually in agreement with this statement, but since you wanted to point this out I am addressing it.)

    Regarding LOIs, I appreciate your thoughts on this. However you being an idealist doesn't make me wrong. LOI as a systematic tool is most definitely mutually protective tool as are tools like it. Today First American gave you the LOI tomorrow they get one right back from Old Republic on a different file. And as you said, most of the industry disagrees with you about notifying the potential claimants, which makes my point all the more. (MIA I'm not familiar with, May be a brainfart but I don't know what this one stands for, so I may know it by another name)

    Yes regarding deeds and such, I have a clearer crystal ball than most but having done this for over 25 years and being a part of over 2000 individual transaction (yes I am aware you've been doing it longer and have probably done more as a title abstractor so I'm not saying the numbers for competition just to point out my track record with my strategy is working out pretty well so far) I have come to the realization that usually if one thing ends up stinking, one should have probably noticed other issues as well that would have set off your BS meter.  

    And yes, thank you for clearing up my mistaken word.  This of course didn't nullify my point.

    Finally, you are correct.  AOL is not title insurance as defined by an insurance policy covered by an underwriter and bound by an attorney or title insurance broker.  (yes that's what they are)

    AOL is title insurance as an attorney is placing his name, license, and assets behind his review of the title to INSURE the lender that they are protected.  

    This in itself will not end up being sufficient if they are wrong even 1 out of 100 times. Therefore they also have E&O insurance to also cover their claim.

    If this type of coverage becomes more mainstream, the e&o will not be enough to cover and they will have to up their coverage, which will most likely end up being sold and covered by new products for attorneys, underwritten by names such as First American, Old Republic and WFG.

    "New product," same old programs.  

    I stand by my statements.  

    I confess, I have been accused of being pedantic more than once in my life, however I believe all I'm doing is being as accurate as possible when writing or speaking.  I also confess, I have been wrong more than once in my life and when I'm shown facts that demonstrate I'm wrong, I change my position.

    I can't quote stats on the percentage of searches and exams that results in claims mainly because I don't anyone knows.  What I can tell you is that enough errors occur to keep a lot of claims people busy.

    I don't understand why you believe a voluntary lien placed on property owned by a borrower is a defect in title, but ok.

    I guess you could argue a LOI allows the Indemnitor to avoid a claim and the Indemnitee to collect a premium so perhaps mutually beneficial. The systemic use of LOI is certainly mutual back scratching. I previously wrote that because so many LOIs were being issued (again, indicia of how many missed defects in title were being identified) the industry developed Mutual Indemnification Agreements (MIAs) which set out criteria that when met, provided automatic indemnification, eliminating the need for a specific LOI. When a discovered defect does not meet the criteria, an LOI can still be requested and provided.

    Sorry, you can argue AOL's are insurance all day, but they're just not.  An attorney does not insure the letter addressee, it assures them.

    As I wrote earlier, there is legislation pending in Washington that will prohibit GSEs from relying on AOL's so I doubt they will become mainstream.  I suspect they will recede from use in real property transactions and will be reserved for the narrow niche that they are used in now.


  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tom Gimer:

    @David Dey @Peter Walther is referring to the Mutual Indemnity Agreements entered into by most of the major title insurers which eliminate the need to obtain an LOI between participating insurers when the title defect meets certain criteria.

    And I disagree about whether there is discretion to disclose to the insured. It must be done according to insurer guidelines (at least around here) including the following:

    -Disclose the title defect to all parties involved in the transaction and state that you are not excepting the matter from coverage because of the existence of an indemnity or prior [insurer] policy.

    -Obtain a signed acknowledgment and acceptance of the disclosure from all notified parties. 

    -Obtain the full prior OTP (or LTP if foreclosure or DIL), complete the required checklist, save to file and send to insurer.


    Tom, to me, disclosure to the insured is taking exception in the policy and providing affirmation coverage.  I believe the policy states that is a contract containing all the terms and conditions.  Outside agreements do not apply.

    In addition, in my opinion, if you are in fact getting a separate disclosure signed, you're in a minority. Also, I suspect you're not getting such a disclosure from a lender providing funds for closing. Every set of closing instructions I can recall, contained a prohibition against disbursing funds if the lender will not be in a first lien position. If an LOI is being issued or an MIA is being relied on, the lender is not in a first lien position. I've been told by management, well we have the prior insurers indem, and we (the current insurer) have policy liability, and were not even sure the defect is valid, so therefore we don't have to disclose. I never bought the argument.

    When the industry started using LOIs in the 1990s I started requiring an exception and affirmative coverage.  Lenders refused to accept the policy because they couldn't resell the loan with a defect.  I was informed my procedure was not the company's or the industry's underwriting policy and to stop.

    I had a claim in NY where an older couple had purchased a property for their retirement home.  Several months later they were served with a foreclosure complaint for a mortgage made by an owner two deed back.  Their policy did not have a reference to the mortgage and in my conversation with them they advised they knew nothing about it.  I contacted the policy issuing agent who advised they found the mortgage in the search but disregarded it based on a policy issued by national title insurer 1 (NTI1) and the NY MIA.  I tendered the claim under the MIA to them and they retained counsel for MY insured.  Several weeks later the claims person for NTI1 advised she had found their agent had found the mortgage but relied on a policy issued by NTI2 and the MIA and had tendered the claim to them.  NTI2 retained counsel for MY insured and began defending.  Several months later when it became clear the mortgage was valid and enforceable NTI2 began negotiating with the lender's counsel to pay off the mortgage.  About two years later, the matter was finally settled.  During the years it took to resolve the matter, the older couple insureds, had to live with the threat of foreclosure hanging over their heads.  Do you really believe they would have closed on the purchase had they known there was the remotest possibility of this happening?

  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Caleb Christopher:

    Sometimes, when doing certain types of subto deals, we cannot obtain title insurance. We often close anyway, if a comprehensive review of title history comes back clean. The buyers have to sign a "waiver of title insurance" to acknowledge the risk. 

    I LITERALLY just closed 2 in Oklahoma this week without title insurance of any kind (FHA mortgages that title companies wouldn't close and insure).

    That said, you may also be able to buy on seller finance with a Contract for Deed or Land Contract and so long as title doesn't legally transfer from the seller to the buyer, that seller's title insurance remains valid on the property... There are plenty of other considerations to factor before simply opting for that route though. It's a whole contextual discussion that needs to factor the seller and buyers' separate needs and desired outcomes, state law, etc.


     Since title insurance is retrospective in nature, I've often recommended a contract vendee obtain a title policy insuring their equitable interest in the property.

  • Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2015 · 344 posts · 606 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Peter Walther:
    Quote from @Tom Gimer:

    @David Dey @Peter Walther is referring to the Mutual Indemnity Agreements entered into by most of the major title insurers which eliminate the need to obtain an LOI between participating insurers when the title defect meets certain criteria.

    And I disagree about whether there is discretion to disclose to the insured. It must be done according to insurer guidelines (at least around here) including the following:

    -Disclose the title defect to all parties involved in the transaction and state that you are not excepting the matter from coverage because of the existence of an indemnity or prior [insurer] policy.

    -Obtain a signed acknowledgment and acceptance of the disclosure from all notified parties. 

    -Obtain the full prior OTP (or LTP if foreclosure or DIL), complete the required checklist, save to file and send to insurer.


    Tom, to me, disclosure to the insured is taking exception in the policy and providing affirmation coverage.  I believe the policy states that is a contract containing all the terms and conditions.  Outside agreements do not apply.

    In addition, in my opinion, if you are in fact getting a separate disclosure signed, you're in a minority. Also, I suspect you're not getting such a disclosure from a lender providing funds for closing. Every set of closing instructions I can recall, contained a prohibition against disbursing funds if the lender will not be in a first lien position. If an LOI is being issued or an MIA is being relied on, the lender is not in a first lien position. I've been told by management, well we have the prior insurers indem, and we (the current insurer) have policy liability, and were not even sure the defect is valid, so therefore we don't have to disclose. I never bought the argument.

    When the industry started using LOIs in the 1990s I started requiring an exception and affirmative coverage.  Lenders refused to accept the policy because they couldn't resell the loan with a defect.  I was informed my procedure was not the company's or the industry's underwriting policy and to stop.

    I had a claim in NY where an older couple had purchased a property for their retirement home.  Several months later they were served with a foreclosure complaint for a mortgage made by an owner two deed back.  Their policy did not have a reference to the mortgage and in my conversation with them they advised they knew nothing about it.  I contacted the policy issuing agent who advised they found the mortgage in the search but disregarded it based on a policy issued by national title insurer 1 (NTI1) and the NY MIA.  I tendered the claim under the MIA to them and they retained counsel for MY insured.  Several weeks later the claims person for NTI1 advised she had found their agent had found the mortgage but relied on a policy issued by NTI2 and the MIA and had tendered the claim to them.  NTI2 retained counsel for MY insured and began defending.  Several months later when it became clear the mortgage was valid and enforceable NTI2 began negotiating with the lender's counsel to pay off the mortgage.  About two years later, the matter was finally settled.  During the years it took to resolve the matter, the older couple insureds, had to live with the threat of foreclosure hanging over their heads.  Do you really believe they would have closed on the purchase had they known there was the remotest possibility of this happening?

    Truly good point, which is why I said at the beginning that they (the purveyors (the underwriters) of title insurance) are absolutely self serving but a necessary evil.
    The threat of foreclosure was there, but the underwriter would never let that happen as this would compound their liability.
    so whether or not this was handled properly, they ended up being glad they got the insurance.😀
  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Peter Walther Recently lenders are approving files with the defect disclosed as described above and noted as "Covered by mutual indemnity agreement".

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tom Gimer:

    @Peter Walther Recently lenders are approving files with the defect disclosed as described above and noted as "Covered by mutual indemnity agreement".


     I did not know.

  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tom Gimer:

    @Peter Walther Recently lenders are approving files with the defect disclosed as described above and noted as "Covered by mutual indemnity agreement".


    I just did a quick check of Fannie Mae's guidelines regarding affirmative coverage.  

    What are considered acceptable title impediments? (fanniemae.com)

    Insuring over a known defect is only allowed in very narrow circumstances, most of which if not all are covered by issuing a Form 9.  If your clients are accepting such coverage over prior unsatisfied liens, I suspect they're keeping the loan in their portfolio and not reselling it.

    Additionally, I couldn't find anything which would allow Fannie Mae to accept such a policy.  If you let me know where to find either, I'd appreciate it.

    I also thought that providing affirmative coverage over a known defect could be seen as a violation of state statutes prohibiting issuing title insurance on a casualty basis.

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Peter Walther A couple of things...

    We just follow guidance provided by our underwriters... and my deals rarely involve FNMA backed or similar loans. If the lender approves our commitment and the parties understand and agree the issue, if it still exists at the time of the next proposed transfer, will be insured over yet again by one of the insurers involved, that's all I care about.

    The MIA is actually a last resort "solution"... when all other efforts to clear the issue have failed. We're primarily talking about prior owner unreleased trusts. If there is a real title issue such as an open DoT or unpaid judgment lien, the insurers want to hear from us so they can resolve it or at least have it on their radar.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.