Safe Without Title Insurance?

Safe Without Title Insurance?

Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are searching for methods to open homeownership to low income borrowers. (This is not for investors) There is a trend to use attorney opinion letters rather than title insurance. The title insurance industry was built on the concept of reducing risk for lenders and homeowners. The title company searches history, pulls recordings, looks for clouds, clears up messy problems, then offers insurance to homeowners and lenders.

Attorney Opinion Letters are being floated as an alternative to title insurance as title insurance is one of the largest costs to transferring title.

Let's talk about this... Some investors on here talk about how they decided not to use title insurance. Some investors actually pull a preliminary title report, review it and decide not to pay for the policy and fly on their own. How has this worked for you when #selling?

How do #wholesalers wiggle around #probate #liens and funky deed transfers?

#Voxtur Analytics Corp. (TSXV: VXTR; OTCQB: VXTRF) announced, in response to changes to the Fannie Mae Single Family Selling Guide released today (SEL-2022-03, April 6, 2022), that it offers a fully compliant alternative to title insurance through its Attorney Opinion Letter (AOL) program.

“The promise of technology has largely been lost in the mortgage industry and little has been done to reduce costs for consumers,” said Jim Albertelli, CEO of Voxtur. “Fannie Mae has identified closing costs as a barrier to homeownership. Our Voxtur AOL program immediately and directly reduces those costs, maybe opening the door to homeownership a little wider for more Americans.”

Storm on the horizon or an opportunity?

Caroline Gerardo  NMLS 324982 This is not a endorsement of Attorney Opinion Letters but have you used them? What was the difference in the cost? Title insurance is regulated and disclosed. Eventually this will be regulated by the #CFBP - states and Federal Government. State by states laws vary.

3Reply
138 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
2y

I've purchased at least 8 without title insurance (or lender's insurance obviously).   Savings of $3k each.

I also didn't need a lender-required but buyer-bought appraisal.   Saved another $400-$2500. 

But.. these were in the inland northwest where really old land only goes back to late 1800s vs 1600s New England / east.

I also did a through O&E title search with no deaths,  divorces, unconveys or unaccounted for quitclaims resulting.   

What will the charge be from the attorney opinions that are allowed in lieu?  $300 at least.   Probably $500. They won't be free.  

I am glad costs like these and the forcing  of sellers to pay buyer's agents commissions are under the magnifying glass these days.

Soon hopefully the 5-6% commission standard will feel some heat.  The dominoes of bloat are starting to fall! 

See this reply in the discussion

55 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2011 · 606 posts · 413 votes
    2y

    I would suggest if you are buying your personal home (owner occupied) that it would be a good idea to get title insurance. However, many of my investment properties I get a title search done (I know how to read Title) and I may not get title insurance depending on the history (prior transfers, mortgages types, etc. on the property. I have never used an attorney opinion letter, in fact it's the first time I heard of it. Fannie and Freddie can probably take the risk since they have a large volume and the number of issues are low but I don't see the banks not requiring title insurance any time soon. Thanks for the info.

  • Port Huron, MI · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    2y

    Taking AOL's instead of title insurance is an interesting move from Fannie and Freddie. I wonder if they're hoping to reduce closings costs and allow more buyers into the market? There must be some underlying cause. I've always wondered why it's become customary for the borrower to pay the cost of a lender's policy anyway. Couldn't the policies be combined, to protect the interest of all entitled parties to defects? The double dipping seems like bloat to me, with consumer's shouldering the cost.

    AOL's offering's I've seen all have some type of liability policy in place from the provider. I don't see it as an issue on certain deals, especially in the case of new or newer properties. I'll still be taking owners policies on whatever I buy for now

  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    No way...heck no

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jarred Ross:

    Taking AOL's instead of title insurance is an interesting move from Fannie and Freddie. I wonder if they're hoping to reduce closings costs and allow more buyers into the market? There must be some underlying cause. I've always wondered why it's become customary for the borrower to pay the cost of a lender's policy anyway. Couldn't the policies be combined, to protect the interest of all entitled parties to defects? The double dipping seems like bloat to me, with consumer's shouldering the cost.

    AOL's offering's I've seen all have some type of liability policy in place from the provider. I don't see it as an issue on certain deals, especially in the case of new or newer properties. I'll still be taking owners policies on whatever I buy for now


     closing costs are negotiable between the parties.. just look at wholesalers they make the buyer pay ALL closing costs etc..  you have what is customary in a certain market and it varies across the country.  Customary as in who pays what. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y

    depends on the money invested and time needed to close.

    when i use to do a lot of sub too buying I never got title insurance.. but then again I was only risking 5 to maybe 50k   average was more in the 10 to 15k cash to get into title.. and since these were forclosure rescues that were going to sale in 24 to 72 hours there was NO time to get title insurance generally speaking.. so it was a risk reward.

    However having gone years without a title claim in the last 2 plus years I have had 2 of them None on the west coast one in KC market 1 in Baltimore.  One because title missed a fraudulent deed and a worthless wholesaler deal.. ( slim ball) the other the closing attorney missed that the seller filed BK 5 days before we closed and there should have been a stay.. He missed it.  combined was well over 100k we got paid.. then the big one 7 years ago for me was the fact this 3 lot project in Oregon was land locked  very complicated title company hired attorney and the attorney and I worked on it for almost 4 years to get it straightened  out I had title insurance for my purchase of 140k ( I had spent another 100k on demo and perk test well test survey etc. .. but I demoed the houses and was getting ready to build 3 new homes and when i went for my construction loans thats when the access came up.. Title company spent less than 140k on attorneys fees and of course I did not get comp for all the hours i worked on it.. But it ended well sold the dirt as is once access was established for over 600k.. so had I not had title insurance i am not sure i would have got the state of Oregon to give us transferable access licenses across the old railroad right of way they purchased for a linear park.. at first the state said go pound sand. 

  • Port Huron, MI · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Jarred Ross:

    Taking AOL's instead of title insurance is an interesting move from Fannie and Freddie. I wonder if they're hoping to reduce closings costs and allow more buyers into the market? There must be some underlying cause. I've always wondered why it's become customary for the borrower to pay the cost of a lender's policy anyway. Couldn't the policies be combined, to protect the interest of all entitled parties to defects? The double dipping seems like bloat to me, with consumer's shouldering the cost.

    AOL's offering's I've seen all have some type of liability policy in place from the provider. I don't see it as an issue on certain deals, especially in the case of new or newer properties. I'll still be taking owners policies on whatever I buy for now


     closing costs are negotiable between the parties.. just look at wholesalers they make the buyer pay ALL closing costs etc..  you have what is customary in a certain market and it varies across the country.  Customary as in who pays what. 

    I was referring to customary per the lender. Every mortgage I've seen the borrower has to pay the lender's policy. I'm sure there's some out there that differ.


    I'm wondering when and why it became commonplace for lenders to require their own policy, and coincidentally how that become the borrowers problem. 

    When you get a car loan, you don't have to pay a second insurance bill to cover that lender 

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Randy Rodenhouse Fannie is saying with this one certain low income product (target areas are mapped like USDA by actual address allowed, the valuations are under $11000). Fannie is encouraging conventional lenders to sell it to Fannie. Citi has the product wholesale and I'm swimming into closing some. Freddie has a product in development as well (I talked with them).

    I have yet to get a rate sheet from any AOL company (many says they offer them nationwide with a little wink wink that they will assist with a claim). All this has yet to be tested in real markets.  

    The idea is to allow the $30000 annual or less earner be able to purchase a home. There are subsidies for fees and down payment

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Jarred Ross  1887 first title policy in the USA

    Pennsylvania supreme court 1886

    Around 1990 HUD forced lenders to have lender policy when selling loans to our government. The US government subsidizes the lending industry. Since our government bailed out cough took over in receivership Fannie and Freddie in the last crash we are still selling most or 88% of the loans in the US are backed by our taxes.

    If you want a non government loan then a borrower can argue but most hard money lenders want the coverage. All NonQM lenders (sold on a non government market) require the insurance.

    Borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars and the ownership of the asset might be flawed? Loan $300000 on air? In some deals the title is split in half, it's all in the negotiation of your purchase contract.

    @Jarred Ross  When you don't pay your auto loan: there is a GPS device in the car. The lender sends the tow truck with jaws and they steal it back in seconds. It's easy to take the car and re-sell it as used and get most of the $$$ Collateral back. There aren't many laws that protect consumers to keep a car without paying but in CA for example it takes forever to foreclose.

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Jay Hinrichs  It's an interesting idea. I'm swimming with the sharks and trying some. Time will tell how much headache this later causes. I'm a believer in doing low income and lowest market areas so I will let you know in a couple years how many messy clouds come out of this plan.

  • Port Huron, MI · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Caroline Gerardo:

    @Jarred Ross  1887 first title policy in the USA

    Pennsylvania supreme court 1886

    Around 1990 HUD forced lenders to have lender policy when selling loans to our government. The US government subsidizes the lending industry. Since our government bailed out cough took over in receivership Fannie and Freddie in the last crash we are still selling most or 88% of the loans in the US are backed by our taxes.

    If you want a non government loan then a borrower can argue but most hard money lenders want the coverage. All NonQM lenders (sold on a non government market) require the insurance.

    Borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars and the ownership of the asset might be flawed? Loan $300000 on air? In some deals the title is split in half, it's all in the negotiation of your purchase contract.

    @Jarred Ross  When you don't pay your auto loan: there is a GPS device in the car. The lender sends the tow truck with jaws and they steal it back in seconds. It's easy to take the car and re-sell it as used and get most of the $$$ Collateral back. There aren't many laws that protect consumers to keep a car without paying but in CA for example it takes forever to foreclose.


     What does a lender's policy cover that's not covered by the owner's policy? 

    Go ahead, require title insurance on a mortgaged deal, no issue there. Government mandated or not. But one policy seems adequate. Why is there a separate fee, equal to the first, that insures the same thing, just a different party? Honest question

    My point is it's the only thing we insure like that. Your car insurance has named insured, so you don't have to pay for each driver separately each month. Maybe there's a small surcharge to add additional drivers. But it's still one policy. This makes more sense to me. 

    But that's a lenders risk to take isn't it? I understand the title industry has a huge financial interest in maintaining the standard, but if it doesn't have some net benefit to consumers does it have a place in the market?  

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Jarred Ross $350000 sale price $250000 loan Port Huron today

    owner's policy $1805

    lender policy   $ 968

    When a buyer makes an offer on a property they have the option to ask the seller to pay 100% of these or half or whatever. The thing to do in the future is to know what the numbers really are and have Realtor write the contract to your favor. 

    I agree the costs are high but they are regulated nationally and disclosed pretty clearly on every title company's website. Any decent lender can give a consumer the prices in seconds.

    Owners policy is insurance written to only the owners who purchase on title when closed. That policy protects from any liens, clouds, fake wrong deeds recorded before the close for as long as they hold the subject in the same name. (note tons of people change these after closing on the advise of gurus with mistaken goals). Owner's policy sometimes is not always required on some types of loans but owner is at risk.

    Lender's policy Only protects the lender from loss of the $250000 max amount from similar types of perils. IF there was a claim approved only $250000 is paid and owner loses his $100000. Lender is only protected if the title company made some mistake in their search history. Lender assumes other risks of non repayment if borrower loses his job, death, decline in value... which aren't covered by any insurance. Hazard insurance covers some physical disasters but not at 100%

    AAA insurance forced my son off my auto policy because he turned 24 ( a little off topic); but, no, you have to put all the drivers on the policy. I know a male between 17-24 is a more expensive risk policy.  An auto insurance company can force a policy even when we think it's wrong. They will just tell me to go somewhere else.

    To generate one loan application costs lender about $9000-11000 and they spend this on hundreds of vendors to get to approval without knowing if the deal will close and many don't close. Lenders have no wiggle room to pay the lender policy of a rounding guess of 1% of the loan, it's that tight.

    This newer loan product Fannie is testing is an attempt to get where you want to be- cheaper costs. I get it.  However it's going to be collected somewhere else in the nitty gritty bottom line (guessing the bigger deals are going to cover it somehow in the market).   A little $100000 loan takes the same work as a million dollar one but often lenders lose money on small ones (look up HOEPA and High Cost loans which are little loans that become illegal because the cost is too high, go figure we subsidize those). My team is willing to do the $50000 mortgage to benefit America overall, lots of companies say nope.

    Hope this helps your understanding. Happy trails

  • Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Texas has one of the highest title insurance costs in the nation. That being said, I always get title insurance on my purchases UNLESS I'm buying subject to the existing mortgage AND I have less than $10K cash invested in the deal. I just had my first title insurance claim in 23 years of investing. Underwriter admitted validity of my claim for the lien (RTO HVAC system on the house I purchased) but then dragged their feet getting it resolved. Ultimately, I had to hire my own attorney who negotiated directly with the RTO company, we paid the negotiated amount and then sought reimbursement from the underwriter. Counsel for the underwriter ignored my attorney's calls and emails requesting reimbursement until I posted on social media that I was filing a complaint against the insurer with the Texas Department of Insurance. Oddly enough, within 24 hours counsel for the insurer reached out to my attorney and said he was overnighting a reimbursement check. Bottom line, title insurance is necessary in most cases but like most all insurers, you'll have to fight to get what you paid for, sometimes even needing to hire your own attorney.

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    “Attorney Opinion Letters are being floated as an alternative to title insurance as title insurance is one of the largest costs to transferring title.”

    This is beyond crazy and the ultimate in being penny-wise and pound-foolish. Title insurance might be a high percentage of the closing costs, but it's typically chump change compared to the cost of the property. If this is what stands between a buyer being able to afford a property or not, I’d suggest they can't afford the property in the first place.

    “The promise of technology has largely been lost in the mortgage industry and little has been done to reduce costs for consumers,” said Jim Albertelli, CEO of Voxtur.”

    I’m not sure what technology Voxtur Analytics Corp. is selling, and I also wonder if Jim Albertelli reads the news. Technology is not the panacea for all woes lending. Ask anyone who invested in PeerStreet, or any of the other bankrupt Fintech lenders – and counting, how it worked out for them.

    “Our Voxtur AOL program immediately and directly reduces those costs, maybe opening the door to homeownership a little wider for more Americans.”

    The goal is not to widen doors but to make sensible loans on homes to those who can afford them. Didn’t we learn this lesson in 2008? This guy appears clueless.

    We’ve had innocuous title issues that just held up closing as well as a monster $600k fraud issue as lenders on a stolen house. I’d love to hear how these AOLs or Voxtur Analytics technology would have prevented that. I bet only those who haven’t been bitten by a significant title issue are those who favor this nonsense. After all, who doesn’t want to save two grand on their multi-hundred-thousand-dollar purchase?

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Jarred Ross:

    Taking AOL's instead of title insurance is an interesting move from Fannie and Freddie. I wonder if they're hoping to reduce closings costs and allow more buyers into the market? There must be some underlying cause. I've always wondered why it's become customary for the borrower to pay the cost of a lender's policy anyway. Couldn't the policies be combined, to protect the interest of all entitled parties to defects? The double dipping seems like bloat to me, with consumer's shouldering the cost.

    AOL's offering's I've seen all have some type of liability policy in place from the provider. I don't see it as an issue on certain deals, especially in the case of new or newer properties. I'll still be taking owners policies on whatever I buy for now


     closing costs are negotiable between the parties.. just look at wholesalers they make the buyer pay ALL closing costs etc..  you have what is customary in a certain market and it varies across the country.  Customary as in who pays what. 


    This dis-incentivizes investors even more to receive title insurance. I believe it should be split between buyer and seller in all cases.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y

    I've purchased at least 8 without title insurance (or lender's insurance obviously).   Savings of $3k each.

    I also didn't need a lender-required but buyer-bought appraisal.   Saved another $400-$2500. 

    But.. these were in the inland northwest where really old land only goes back to late 1800s vs 1600s New England / east.

    I also did a through O&E title search with no deaths,  divorces, unconveys or unaccounted for quitclaims resulting.   

    What will the charge be from the attorney opinions that are allowed in lieu?  $300 at least.   Probably $500. They won't be free.  

    I am glad costs like these and the forcing  of sellers to pay buyer's agents commissions are under the magnifying glass these days.

    Soon hopefully the 5-6% commission standard will feel some heat.  The dominoes of bloat are starting to fall! 

  • Port Huron, MI · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Steve Vaughan:

    I've purchased at least 8 without title insurance (or lender's insurance obviously).   Savings of $3k each.

    But.. these were in the inland northwest where really old land goes back to late 1800s only vs 1600s New England. 

    I also did a through O&E title search with no deaths,  divorces, unconveys or unaccounted for quitclaims resulting.   

    What will the charge be from the attorney opinions that are allowed in lieu?  $300 at least.   Probably $500. They won't be free.  

    I am glad costs like these and the forcing  of sellers to pay buyer's agents commissions are under the magnifying glass these days.

    Soon hopefully the 5-6% commission standard will feel some heat.  The dominoes have started to fall! 


     Solid take. I agree about things changing. Real estate is a very slow industry to change, title companies included. I agree with you on the parallel of 6% realtor commissions and closing costs. The only reason its the standard is because it has been for so long (and lobbying, lol). At the least, it's reasonable to explore alternatives.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jarred Ross:
    Quote from @Steve Vaughan:

    I'm glad these costs and the forcing  of sellers to pay buyer's agents commissions are under the magnifying glass these days.

    Soon hopefully the 5-6% commission standard will feel some heat.  The dominoes have started to fall! 


     Solid take. I agree about things changing. Real estate is a very slow industry to change, title companies included. I agree with you on the parallel of 6% realtor commissions and closing costs. The only reason its the standard is because it has been for so long (and lobbying, lol). At the least, it's reasonable to explore alternatives.

    A few years ago a lawsuit required buyer's agents to stop saying/ advertising that their services are free.  Many still do, but that was small win #1.

    Latest lawsuit and settlement of $55M for forcing sellers to pay for buyer's agents in the listing agreement.  Collusion.  A good start, although it did not mandate changes. 

    Buyers will soon be shopping for their agent based on comp and method of that comp. Out of pocket?  Included in their mortgage?   Ground-breaking.  

    Commission % charged to sellers being fixed whether buyers have an agent or not should have stopped a decade ago.  Hopefully we're headed in that direction.   

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Steve Vaughan:

    I've purchased at least 8 without title insurance (or lender's insurance obviously).   Savings of $3k each.

    I also didn't need a lender-required but buyer-bought appraisal.   Saved another $400-$2500. 

    But.. these were in the inland northwest where really old land only goes back to late 1800s vs 1600s New England / east.

    I also did a through O&E title search with no deaths,  divorces, unconveys or unaccounted for quitclaims resulting.   

    What will the charge be from the attorney opinions that are allowed in lieu?  $300 at least.   Probably $500. They won't be free.  

    I am glad costs like these and the forcing  of sellers to pay buyer's agents commissions are under the magnifying glass these days.

    Soon hopefully the 5-6% commission standard will feel some heat.  The dominoes of bloat are starting to fall! 


     One thing to remember though is there is a lot more to title insurance coverage than just a buggered title  they also cover forgery  and especially today this is far more common than one would think the one title claim i had this year was from a forged deed.. And not sure we as lay persons could have determined the deed was forged. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jeff S.:

    “Attorney Opinion Letters are being floated as an alternative to title insurance as title insurance is one of the largest costs to transferring title.”

    This is beyond crazy and the ultimate in being penny-wise and pound-foolish. Title insurance might be a high percentage of the closing costs, but it's typically chump change compared to the cost of the property. If this is what stands between a buyer being able to afford a property or not, I’d suggest they can't afford the property in the first place.

    “The promise of technology has largely been lost in the mortgage industry and little has been done to reduce costs for consumers,” said Jim Albertelli, CEO of Voxtur.”

    I’m not sure what technology Voxtur Analytics Corp. is selling, and I also wonder if Jim Albertelli reads the news. Technology is not the panacea for all woes lending. Ask anyone who invested in PeerStreet, or any of the other bankrupt Fintech lenders – and counting, how it worked out for them.

    “Our Voxtur AOL program immediately and directly reduces those costs, maybe opening the door to homeownership a little wider for more Americans.”

    The goal is not to widen doors but to make sensible loans on homes to those who can afford them. Didn’t we learn this lesson in 2008? This guy appears clueless.

    We’ve had innocuous title issues that just held up closing as well as a monster $600k fraud issue as lenders on a stolen house. I’d love to hear how these AOLs or Voxtur Analytics technology would have prevented that. I bet only those who haven’t been bitten by a significant title issue are those who favor this nonsense. After all, who doesn’t want to save two grand on their multi-hundred-thousand-dollar purchase?


     Yup there are way more things that title insurance covers that most investor really dont know or understand..  Mortgages being recorded 20 minutes before our loans  and now we are in second position. Had that happen.. bad buy new when fatco recording time was in SF county and recorded a fraudulent mortgage a few minutes before fatco recorded my first.. when i got the title policy I was now in second position. Title company of course goes after the fraudster . 

    had another case of forged reconveyance deeds and new loans put on my collateral . 

    then there is the access issues  and so on and so forth. Crazy to think saving title insurance costs to make real estate more affordable totall agree with your thought process on this one. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Eliott Elias:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Jarred Ross:

    Taking AOL's instead of title insurance is an interesting move from Fannie and Freddie. I wonder if they're hoping to reduce closings costs and allow more buyers into the market? There must be some underlying cause. I've always wondered why it's become customary for the borrower to pay the cost of a lender's policy anyway. Couldn't the policies be combined, to protect the interest of all entitled parties to defects? The double dipping seems like bloat to me, with consumer's shouldering the cost.

    AOL's offering's I've seen all have some type of liability policy in place from the provider. I don't see it as an issue on certain deals, especially in the case of new or newer properties. I'll still be taking owners policies on whatever I buy for now


     closing costs are negotiable between the parties.. just look at wholesalers they make the buyer pay ALL closing costs etc..  you have what is customary in a certain market and it varies across the country.  Customary as in who pays what. 


    This dis-incentivizes investors even more to receive title insurance. I believe it should be split between buyer and seller in all cases.


     Once you start doing business outside of your sandbox you will come to find out that Most real estate is local and you have customary splits of settlement charges.. And they vary widely depending on location. Just like the 100.00 option fee in Texas that is Unique to Texas I have not seen that in any of the other 25 states or so we lend or buy and sell  but it is the Custom in Texas.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    This is something our office does, fees a quite low, but I think it reflects the level of current work being performed, but charging a higher price.

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    I just think the irony of Fannie/Freddie trying to eliminate title insurance while charging stupid high origination charges....

    A few thousand dollars isn't going to suddenly making housing so much more accessible. It's going to be a nice thing to have, but if 2-3k is what makes/breaks a transaction then the person buying couldn't afford it in the first place.

    I've paid for title insurance on every property I've owned. It's a very lucrative industry as the payouts are so incredibly rare, but insurance is one of those things that you don't need until you need it. 

  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    2y

    Not to short circuit an interesting discussion, but Fannie Mae recently backed away from the use of AOLs and legislation has been proposed in both the House and Senate that requires title insurance on any loan backed by a GSE with an expectation it will be passed and signed into law.

    U.S. Reps Introduce Bipartisan Bill Requiring Title Insurance on Loans Purchased by GSEs

    October 3, 2023

    U.S. Reps. Andrew Garbarino (R-N.Y.) and Vicente Gonzalez (D-Texas) introduced a bipartisan bill that requires title insurance issued by a state licensed and regulated title insurance company on all loans purchased by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. The Protecting America’s Property Rights Act (HR. 5837) is a companion bill to S. 2687, introduced by Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) and cosponsored by Sen. Katie Britt (R-Ala.).

  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jarred Ross:
    Quote from @Caroline Gerardo:

    @Jarred Ross  1887 first title policy in the USA

    Pennsylvania supreme court 1886

    Around 1990 HUD forced lenders to have lender policy when selling loans to our government. The US government subsidizes the lending industry. Since our government bailed out cough took over in receivership Fannie and Freddie in the last crash we are still selling most or 88% of the loans in the US are backed by our taxes.

    If you want a non government loan then a borrower can argue but most hard money lenders want the coverage. All NonQM lenders (sold on a non government market) require the insurance.

    Borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars and the ownership of the asset might be flawed? Loan $300000 on air? In some deals the title is split in half, it's all in the negotiation of your purchase contract.

    @Jarred Ross  When you don't pay your auto loan: there is a GPS device in the car. The lender sends the tow truck with jaws and they steal it back in seconds. It's easy to take the car and re-sell it as used and get most of the $$$ Collateral back. There aren't many laws that protect consumers to keep a car without paying but in CA for example it takes forever to foreclose.


     What does a lender's policy cover that's not covered by the owner's policy? 

    Go ahead, require title insurance on a mortgaged deal, no issue there. Government mandated or not. But one policy seems adequate. Why is there a separate fee, equal to the first, that insures the same thing, just a different party? Honest question

    My point is it's the only thing we insure like that. Your car insurance has named insured, so you don't have to pay for each driver separately each month. Maybe there's a small surcharge to add additional drivers. But it's still one policy. This makes more sense to me. 

    But that's a lenders risk to take isn't it? I understand the title industry has a huge financial interest in maintaining the standard, but if it doesn't have some net benefit to consumers does it have a place in the market?  


    There's a world of difference between an owner's and a loan policy particularly when it comes to recovering a loss.

  • Port Huron, MI · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Peter Walther:
    Quote from @Jarred Ross:

     What does a lender's policy cover that's not covered by the owner's policy? 

    Go ahead, require title insurance on a mortgaged deal, no issue there. Government mandated or not. But one policy seems adequate. Why is there a separate fee, equal to the first, that insures the same thing, just a different party? Honest question

    My point is it's the only thing we insure like that. Your car insurance has named insured, so you don't have to pay for each driver separately each month. Maybe there's a small surcharge to add additional drivers. But it's still one policy. This makes more sense to me. 

    But that's a lenders risk to take isn't it? I understand the title industry has a huge financial interest in maintaining the standard, but if it doesn't have some net benefit to consumers does it have a place in the market?  


    There's a world of difference between an owner's and a loan policy particularly when it comes to recovering a loss.

    I just don't see why it even became a requirement instead of a "rider" on the owner's policy. It all requires the same research and legwork right?

    I also wonder what % of total claims goes to paying lender policies compared to owner policies? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.