How much time do you spend prepping for taxes?

How much time do you spend prepping for taxes?

Rene HosmanPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2024 · 583 posts · 653 votes

Everyone's "favorite" time of year is upon us....  I'm talking about tax season! 

I’m curious about how much time you all spend prepping for tax season before your CPA (or tax preparer) officially files your returns?

I'm wondering what tools and resources you all use as rental owners and investors to get or keep your financial ducks in a row? Collecting rent statements, expense receipts, mortgage interest docs, and more—can sometimes feel like a full-time job in the weeks leading up to tax day. I'm really old fashioned and have been using spreadsheets for years. I know of other softwares, like Baselane that handle income and expenses all in one place. What is your take on these softwares that help with rent collection and expenses? 

What softwares are you using? How long are you usually spending on prep before you hand it all off to your CPA? A few hours? A couple of days? Multiple weekends? Do you have a particular system or software that’s been a game-changer for you? Drop your experiences below! I’d love to hear how you’re tackling tax prep and if tools like Baselane—or any other solutions—have made a difference in lightening the load.

28 votes total

Less than 2hrs
Half day (3-5hrs)
Full day (6-8hrs)
Multiple days 8+hrs
BiggerPockets
4Reply
178 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 6 votes
1y
Quote from @Rene Hosman:

Everyone's "favorite" time of year is upon us....  I'm talking about tax season! 

I’m curious about how much time you all spend prepping for tax season before your CPA (or tax preparer) officially files your returns?

I'm wondering what tools and resources you all use as rental owners and investors to get or keep your financial ducks in a row? Collecting rent statements, expense receipts, mortgage interest docs, and more—can sometimes feel like a full-time job in the weeks leading up to tax day. I'm really old fashioned and have been using spreadsheets for years. I know of other softwares, like Baselane that handle income and expenses all in one place. What is your take on these softwares that help with rent collection and expenses? 

What softwares are you using? How long are you usually spending on prep before you hand it all off to your CPA? A few hours? A couple of days? Multiple weekends? Do you have a particular system or software that’s been a game-changer for you? Drop your experiences below! I’d love to hear how you’re tackling tax prep and if tools like Baselane—or any other solutions—have made a difference in lightening the load.


 I've been using Baselane for over three years now and tax time is always easy. Everything is up-to-date in realtime so I could do my taxes any day of the week! Just download their tax package and you're done!

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 53 votes
    1y

    Hey everyone, I’m a landlord myself with 18 units, across 10 properties —and for years, tax season was a source of dread. I remember spending entire weekends crunching numbers, gathering receipts from random shoeboxes and backtracking through countless transactions in my bank account. By the time I had everything together, I always felt like I was rushing, and I’d inevitably forget something. 

    Eventually, I realized that if I kept waiting until tax time to organize my books, I would never escape the stress (and extra CPA fees). So I committed to tracking everything throughout the year. Here’s what helped me most:

    1. Quarterly Check-Ins: I spend an hour each quarter reviewing my rental income and categorizing any expenses right away. This habit alone changed the game for me—I no longer have a mountain of data entry in March. We have a VA so she does all the tagging and I ask her to export it from Baselane, into excel, then I review it and give comments.
    2. Going Digital: Scanning and storing my receipts in real time saves me from searching for that one $17 plumbing supply receipt. It’s crazy how quickly those small things add up. Most of our receipts are digital (email) so we just put it in drive and attach it to Baselane transactions as we go (weekly). It's part of the VAs job to do this every day.
    3. Smart Banking/Tools: Full disclosure, I work at Baselane, a banking and finance platform designed for landlords. One reason I joined is because I genuinely needed the exact solution Baselane offers: a banking account that automatically categorizes rental transactions, streamlined reporting, and easy exports. But even if you’re not using Baselane, any tool that integrates with your bank and helps automate categorization can drastically reduce year-end headaches. You can integrate Baselane with Quickbooks for example.
    4. CPA Handoff: Once I started keeping my records tidy in real time, handing things off to my CPA became pretty painless. Instead of 30+ emails back and forth, now I just send them a consolidated report or grant them access to review transactions. This year, 96% of my transactions are already tagged for 2024, so I expect to do about 1 hour of cleanup before I send to my CPA.

    Don’t get me wrong—I’m still learning new ways to simplify tax prep every year. But for me, the biggest shift was developing a routine and using tools that let me see my rental finances at a glance.

    Anyway, that’s my two cents. If anyone else has a favorite strategy or tool they use to keep tax prep under control, I’d love to hear it! Always happy to swap ideas and keep refining this process.

  • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Saad D.:

    Hey everyone, I’m a landlord myself with 18 units, across 10 properties —and for years, tax season was a source of dread. I remember spending entire weekends crunching numbers, gathering receipts from random shoeboxes and backtracking through countless transactions in my bank account. By the time I had everything together, I always felt like I was rushing, and I’d inevitably forget something. 

    Eventually, I realized that if I kept waiting until tax time to organize my books, I would never escape the stress (and extra CPA fees). So I committed to tracking everything throughout the year. Here’s what helped me most:

    1. Quarterly Check-Ins: I spend an hour each quarter reviewing my rental income and categorizing any expenses right away. This habit alone changed the game for me—I no longer have a mountain of data entry in March. We have a VA so she does all the tagging and I ask her to export it from Baselane, into excel, then I review it and give comments.
    2. Going Digital: Scanning and storing my receipts in real time saves me from searching for that one $17 plumbing supply receipt. It’s crazy how quickly those small things add up. Most of our receipts are digital (email) so we just put it in drive and attach it to Baselane transactions as we go (weekly). It's part of the VAs job to do this every day.
    3. Smart Banking/Tools: Full disclosure, I work at Baselane, a banking and finance platform designed for landlords. One reason I joined is because I genuinely needed the exact solution Baselane offers: a banking account that automatically categorizes rental transactions, streamlined reporting, and easy exports. But even if you’re not using Baselane, any tool that integrates with your bank and helps automate categorization can drastically reduce year-end headaches. You can integrate Baselane with Quickbooks for example.
    4. CPA Handoff: Once I started keeping my records tidy in real time, handing things off to my CPA became pretty painless. Instead of 30+ emails back and forth, now I just send them a consolidated report or grant them access to review transactions. This year, 96% of my transactions are already tagged for 2024, so I expect to do about 1 hour of cleanup before I send to my CPA.

    Don’t get me wrong—I’m still learning new ways to simplify tax prep every year. But for me, the biggest shift was developing a routine and using tools that let me see my rental finances at a glance.

    Anyway, that’s my two cents. If anyone else has a favorite strategy or tool they use to keep tax prep under control, I’d love to hear it! Always happy to swap ideas and keep refining this process.




    Thanks for sharing!!! Tax filing is always stressful. I've been using BASELANE for a few years, but I admit I haven't been as diligent with organizing my expenses. Your post highlights how much time and money BASELANE can save. Paying hourly for a CPA is more economical than per-document fees, but even then, disorganization costs you. BASELANE seems like the key to keeping those costs down and making tax season much smoother. I'm going to commit to using it more effectively this year.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.