ASSET PROTECTION PODCAST

ASSET PROTECTION PODCAST

Rental Property Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 44 votes

Hey all..

interested to hear some discussion surrounding the recent BP Podcast on Asset Protection (the "YOU WILL GET SUED" issue)

So far I have 7 rental properties all multi unit having several units each, and they are just all under my name, which according to the attorney in the podcast, should NEVER be done for exposure reasons.

I feel like I've gotten a lot of mixed advice. Insurance Agents tell you insurance is the solution. Attorneys tell you LLC is the solution. My CPA tells me the LLC's are too expensive to operate and set up and that he's never dealt with people having issues not having properties under LLCs.

Wondering what all of you EXPERIENCED investors out there have done for your personal strategies, and do you find the statement true that, "it's not IF, but WHEN you'll be sued"?

My problems are at this point, the due-on-sale clause being possible if I transfer my properties to an LLC, and also, applying for financing. Do you all find issues with applying for financing under Trusts or LLCs?

Thanks

+Seth Mosley

Mosley Properties

3Reply
475 views

Most Popular Reply

Brian BurkePro Member
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
11y

@Seth Mosley , I agree with @Bill Gulley who are both experienced guys and didn't keep what they built simply because of entity structures. I'm in the same camp.  It's funny, the question of "to entity or not to entity" is one of the most asked questions on BP and the pro-entity crowd is typically dominated by folks that have bought between 0 and 10 properties in their investing career. The experienced investors are usually the ones saying that entities are most likely unnecessary. Coincidence??

I've made my opinion known many times but I'm happy to chime in again.  Let me begin by saying that I have entities. I don't have entities for asset protection, however. I have them for legitimate business purposes--to segregate groups of investors, varying ownership percentages between myself and my partners, and for branding.

I know that Bill and Jay have been lucky (good?) enough to have not been sued so if you have followed this thread this long you might believe that the "you will get sued" statement is untrue. I'll present the other side of that story. I believe that if you do enough of this for long enough it's most likely a matter of time. You will get sued. SO WHAT?!?!  It's a reality of business.

I've been in this business for 25 years. Bought over 700 properties. Owned over a thousand doors and currently around 500 or so (not counting interior doors, LOL).  So my exposure is high. My personally-owned rentals are just that--owned personally, as in my own name. Remember that my entity owned properties are for a business purpose?  That's why. Not saying that what's right for me is right for you, nor am I saying that it's right for me (I could be wrong) but it's worked out fine.  I have lots of insurance.

I've been sued several times. I can think of seven times off the top of my head. There may be more but I don't remember for sure. Why not?  Because they obviously didn't make a big enough impression on me to even matter. 

Let's talk about those suits. Two were in small claims court by tenant plaintiffs. Both tenants lost. Cost of defense: some wasted time showing up to court.  Another one of the suits was a guy I sold a flip to who claimed that my contractor didn't do something correctly.  It was true, but the homeowner wouldn't allow the contractor back in to fix it--he wanted to shake us down for $5K in small claims court. We offered him $1,500 in lieu of the contractor making the repair but he wouldn't take the money. In court the judge ruled in his favor and awarded him $1,500--so we lost but won.  

Three suits were cases where I bought a house on the courthouse steps at a foreclosure auction and the foreclosed-out homeowner sued their lender for botching the foreclosure and me for quiet title, misrepresentation (for evicting them when I didn't own the home that I paid for), and fraud (for what? Signing over a cashier's check?).  I won all three cases. One cost $30K to defend (settled with the lender rather early-they refunded my money, I gave them the house, and they paid me a bit for my trouble), one cost $20-30K (don't remember exactly but it got thrown out of court before trial) and the third cost over $170K and counting (this one went to trial, I won but now the idiot is taking it to the Court of Appeals so I'll be continuing to pay for who knows how long). In addition to those defense costs I'm out over $100K in holding costs for houses I couldn't sell during the litigation (the third one going on 4-1/2 years).  

The final case is one where I bought a house on the courthouse steps and evicted the occupant. She refused to move her stuff out of the house even after the statutory time in which she was allowed to retrieve it. I was entitled to dispose of it but I couldn't morally do it--her whole life was in this almost 3,000 SQFT house. So, I hired a moving company to move everything to storage units. When she reimbursed me for the moving cost I gave her the keys to the storage units. Three hours after giving her the keys to seven storage lockers I get a call from the police--she claimed we stole a pocket watch and all of this other stuff. How could she know that out of all of that stuff there is a missing pocket watch in only three hours when it took a crew of six guys three days to load it is beyond me. She filed suit for theft of over $1.2 million worth of property!  She produced a list of hundreds of items that we alledgedly "stole", and our private investigator found most of the items in the storage units during discovery (the rest of the items didn't exist)--the whole suit is BS but this woman is a serial plaintiff and hired a lawyer who has a a pending license suspension to represent her (birds of a feather...). This one is going to jury trial.

Now for the meat of my point:  All of the properties associated with these suits except one of the tenant claims were owned in an entity. Will someone from the pro-entity crowd please explain to me how having an entity (actually multiple entities) helped me???!!!  Or prevented this??

The practical risk, in my opinion, is not judgments, it's the cost of defense and having an entity does not eliminate the cost of defending yourself from frivolous lawsuits!  If you want to be in this business, you have to live with the fact that you are a target.  

See this reply in the discussion

130 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    Everyone if there is one thing that you must remember in protecting your net worth it is this:  No one ever wants to go to court.  The plantiff's attorney wants quick cash for his or her client.  That attorney wants everyone to know that they are on the right side of the law.  Insurance companies never want to go to court.  They want to settle quickly and painlessly.  So put a plantiff's attorney in a conference room with an insurance company and they fight it out for 2 days and they settle.

    If you put an LLC into the mix you better go full throttle because the plantiff will want blood.

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 125 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    I had a $1M case filed against me...and they wanted me personally.

    4 insurance companies (one being mine) went to court 4 times and all 4 were shot down by 4 different judges in 4 separate hearings.   None could break my paperwork and weasel out of paying the claim, and in the end I was personally, by myself, facing 14 lawyers around a big conference table.  They argued with each other and came up with a number between themselves...after their fees were taped out.  A good experience in 'group think'.

    With 4 rulings in my favor but admitting no liability, as a sign of good will I tossed in $5k to sooth their bruised egos.  I found out later I was the only one who paid their agreed price within the 10 day time frame specified.

    My personal lawyer was a no show, probably hiding under his desk, not taking phone calls.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Mark Esposito 

      what was the nature of the case was it related to owning a buy and hold rental property.. Where the buy and hold crowd is contemplating these asset protection options.

    Short final, when, were, and in what ?

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 718 posts · 913 votes
    11y

    I totally agree with everything @Brian Burke said. I hold some properties in an LLC's name, but it's for business purposes, not to somehow hide my assets. I'm involved enough with the management of the properties that I know if there is a lawsuit, I'm going to be brought in based on my individual capacity. It's really just a cost-of-defense. Moreover, look at the examples of lawsuits in which he was sued. They were nickle and dime suits that in no way exposed him to some sort of cataclysmic liability.

    Setting aside committing fraud on a massive scale in some sort of ponzi-esque scheme, I view an SFR investor's greatest potential liability as some sort of wrongful death/massive injury case in which there are egregious circumstances. A good example is a slum lord who is too cheap to put in smoke detectors and the place burns down while everyone is sleeping. Those types of suits are really easy to avoid: don't be a slumlord and do things above aboard. Sure, you might get sued in that type of situation, but insurance will pay your cost of defense, and if you've got it documented that you were running an above-aboard operation, there's very little a plaintiff's lawyer can do. Believe it or not, plaintiffs' lawyers are rational in that they are often advancing expenses and so have a financial interest in not throwing away tons of money on a meritless case.

    I think at bottom so much of this fear mongering is based on a misunderstanding of the court system.  People appear to think that anyone can file a frivolous lawsuit, sit back, and get a million dollar verdict.  That's just not how it works.  I'll be the first to admit there are huge problems with the judicial system, but it does generally work like it's supposed to.

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 125 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    Popular topic. shows posters are interested in the area.

    Thanks Jay,

    Briefly, there was an accident on property I controlled where 5 people were injured and one even broke their neck. Helicopter ride to the ICU, the works.

    More important than anything, everybody healed with no hard feelings. The lawyers had a field day but 5 years later I survived with paying only $5k out of the LLC's pocket and learned a lot in the process.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @John Chapman 

      very true... most folks that are worried about this have no real world experience and get caught up in the fear of it all. Cases have monetary value... All attorneys know this. Rare is one that will take one on contingency unless they are in the car wreck business you know the sign's you see up an down the freeway.. or SS disability were Lawyer fee's are set by law.

    Business litigation again for 95% of those that own a few rentals is just not something that is common .. your probably more likely to die by a lightning strike or in a car wreck before you get sued !

    I have one partner that I build houses with who insisted that each individual house be its own LLC... I said fine you want to do that.. you set em up and you run the books for all these separate LLC's.. One LLC and GL and Builders risk is what we need.. Well after our first 5 bought built and sold and having all these different entities and accounts he finally said forget it we are doing it all under one company.. LOL

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Mark Esposito 

      construction accident ?   this was not related to tenants in their normal course of living enjoyment ?

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 125 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    Jay,

    No it wasn't

    I was keeping within Seth's topic on ASSET PROTECTION.

    "Hey all..

    interested to hear some discussion surrounding the recent BP Podcast on Asset Protection (the "YOU WILL GET SUED" issue)

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Mark Esposito 

      sounds like you had that 1 in 10 million incidence and insurance served you well !!

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 125 posts · 37 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Mark Esposito 

      sounds like you had that 1 in 10 million incidence and insurance served you well!! 

    Yes, I consider my ability to survive 1 in 1OM

    Actually, my insurance carrier tried their best to NOT pay. They were one of the 4 welchers. One of my attorneys used to represent an insurance co. and made it quite clear his job there was to get out of claims.

    While I'm no fan of our justice system either (proven experience) in that case it served me well, but only because of my own tenacity.

    Bottom line: in business one has no friends. It's all about the $$$ and protecting #1. (current topic)

    If anybody needs friends, they can log onto Facebook.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Mark Esposito 

      and lawyers on the other side no matter how nice are not your friends either.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    Think I heard some ranting on page 4, not reality. In a liability suit against me or my entities or both, how the heck does an attorney know I'm insured with the Hartford under a liability policy? Answer.....they don't.

    So, how can you name an insurance company in a complaint not knowing who the company is?

    Insuring an insured is not a tortuous offense, insuring a property is not a position of responsibility to a third party for some slip and fall, I see no cause of action against the insurance company until after you win the suit.

    I've never seen a case where it said Jones V. Smith and the Prudential Insurance Company!

    If an assumption is not correct in one area it makes me wonder about the other assumptions made in a rant. This is a pretty good thread, with 4 attorneys and some experienced members.  :) 

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 125 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    Well  stated Jay

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 40 votes
    11y

    Ok, to summarize:

    1. Yes, creating entities can be a good thing. They are a tool and like all other tools if used properly and for what they are intended for it is good and can be beneficial.

    2. Yes, you need to understand why you are creating the entity and how to "run" it properly- setting it up, funding, maintaining, etc.

    3. All things in moderation. Simple is good. "Asset protection", like vitamins and the special mud from the bottom of the Dead Sea that claims to make my wife's face smoother, can be and many times are oversold. Hyped. Born from fear mongering.

    4. This can be a distraction from you researching, finding good deals, buying, owning and cash flowing more "doors". Don't let it.

    5. Having a relationship with an attorney can be a good and beneficial thing. Same for the insurance person, CPA, bankers, etc. All have a place on your team.

    6. Everyone has a story. Good stories (In RE for 50 years, never had to use an attorney) Bad stories (On my first deal got pulled into a construction defect lawsuit with 50 other defendants) Don't base your approach to RE on either extreme.

    There is an incredible amount of wisdom, knowledge and experience from the collective on this site. I am glad that I found it.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    As a buy and hold multifamily investor with entities, I will summarize my observations as well. When I listened to the podcast, I felt under protected holding title to my multi's in properly structured and managed LLCs separated by asset-type, purpose, region, when partners are involved, etc At first. As long as title started within the LLC and wasn't quitclaimed/transferred to it from my name, I am comfortable with this structure. Without some level of anonymity though, why bother? I do not hold title to single-family homes or condos in an entity, unless it is part of a larger portfolio of like addresses. No amount of fancy ppwk or entity structure will ever protect me if I commit intentional fraud or negligence. Be honest and fair, always. The DST idea struck me as flimsy. If property can be controlled with a piece of paper from anyone's drawer or computer, whose to say who truly has right to the asset and income? What if some creative crook seeks these out only to provide ppwk stating they are the owner? Complete anonymity has the large disadvantage of it being hard to prove even you are the 'owner'. If I was so afraid of being sued at every turn, I would own nothing but my own home and a car payment or two like most people. If you are honest with people and carry insurance, 99.9% of your small buy and hold properties will give you no trouble whatsoever in your own name. I have owned rentals of different types since 2002 and have never been sued, but I am not a rehabber. Thank you for posting this thread @Seth Mosley .  Some of your posts took real guts to say!

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 44 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Mark Esposito:

    Popular topic. shows posters are interested in the area.

    Thanks Jay,

    Briefly, there was an accident on property I controlled where 5 people were injured and one even broke their neck. Helicopter ride to the ICU, the works.

    More important than anything, everybody healed with no hard feelings. The lawyers had a field day but 5 years later I survived with paying only $5k out of the LLC's pocket and learned a lot in the process.

     If you'd be so kind as to elaborate, what did you learn in this process?

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 44 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    As a buy and hold multifamily investor with entities, I will summarize my observations as well. When I listened to the podcast, I felt under protected holding title to my multi's in properly structured and managed LLCs separated by asset-type, purpose, region, when partners are involved, etc At first. As long as title started within the LLC and wasn't quitclaimed/transferred to it from my name, I am comfortable with this structure. Without some level of anonymity though, why bother? I do not hold title to single-family homes or condos in an entity, unless it is part of a larger portfolio of like addresses. No amount of fancy ppwk or entity structure will ever protect me if I commit intentional fraud or negligence. Be honest and fair, always. The DST idea struck me as flimsy. If property can be controlled with a piece of paper from anyone's drawer or computer, whose to say who truly has right to the asset and income? What if some creative crook seeks these out only to provide ppwk stating they are the owner? Complete anonymity has the large disadvantage of it being hard to prove even you are the 'owner'. If I was so afraid of being sued at every turn, I would own nothing but my own home and a car payment or two like most people. If you are honest with people and carry insurance, 99.9% of your small buy and hold properties will give you no trouble whatsoever in your own name. I have owned rentals of different types since 2002 and have never been sued, but I am not a rehabber. Thank you for posting this thread @Seth Mosley .  Some of your posts took real guts to say!

     This has definetely taken a great turn on this post. I feel like I've learned a bit from all of your experience...now if we can find out how bp chooses and plans their podcast guests :p

  • Attorney · Shawnee, OK · Member since 2013 · 350 posts · 230 votes
    11y

    for those following this discussion, I am a not comfortable with the shots taken at the attorney from the podcast. He is/was speaking in generalities which may or may not apply in your situation and jurisdiction. I am a bankruptcy attorney. While I appreciate all of the advice on here from those who have been successful and have never experienced any problems, I spend every work day cleaning up the mess for those who lost. Your experiences and advice are not valid or useful for my clients. 

    I am not saying any one technique is going to save you when bad things happen. However, sticking your head in the sand and avoiding or ignoring proper legal advice will cost you. I don't hear anyone claiming they don't use legal structures at all. (If that is what you are hearing internetland- please consider the source.) everything has a proper time and place. 

     BP is here to help educate you. It should be your starting point. You should be  paying significant money to a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction to make any real decisions for your specific situation when the time comes. He or she has their license and professional liability issuance on the line. You are not getting that here. If you choose to go it alone, good luck!  If nothing ever goes wrong, you won the lottery. If you are like the vast majority of people, you need all the help you can get. 

    Denigrating asset protection is a luxury the average person can not afford. It's just another layer in your business. It should not be a big deal. Like everything else, you can over do it. Learn all you can, seek proper LEGAL advice, and act. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 44 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Paul Choate:

    for those following this discussion, I am a not comfortable with the shots taken at the attorney from the podcast. He is/was speaking in generalities which may or may not apply in your situation and jurisdiction. I am a bankruptcy attorney. While I appreciate all of the advice on here from those who have been successful and have never experienced any problems, I spend every work day cleaning up the mess for those who lost. Your experiences and advice are not valid or useful for my clients. 

    I am not saying any one technique is going to save you when bad things happen. However, sticking your head in the sand and avoiding or ignoring proper legal advice will cost you. I don't hear anyone claiming they don't use legal structures at all. (If that is what you are hearing internetland- please consider the source.) everything has a proper time and place. 

     BP is here to help educate you. It should be your starting point. You should be  paying significant money to a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction to make any real decisions for your specific situation when the time comes. He or she has their license and professional liability issuance on the line. You are not getting that here. If you choose to go it alone, good luck!  If nothing ever goes wrong, you won the lottery. If you are like the vast majority of people, you need all the help you can get. 

    Denigrating asset protection is a luxury the average person can not afford. It's just another layer in your business. It should not be a big deal. Like everything else, you can over do it. Learn all you can, seek proper LEGAL advice, and act. 

     Paul, no one that I gather on this thread, including myself have intended to slander Scott, the attorney on this podcast. It is just the simple fact that when you go public as a guest speaker on a radio show, and putting yourself out there as an authority on whatever issue you're discussing, It is a platform. And with platform comes great responsibility. This is the same if you are a performing artist, a teacher, or a politician, with a captive audience who is putting their "trust" In you. It's a big responsibility to steward knowledge and like one of the posters on this thread said, I believe transparency is a lot more beneficial than fear-mongering and dealing in absolutes.

    It is my belief that making absolute statements like "you will be sued", coming from little to no experience, is a bit unfounded and disconcerting, thus making me question the motives. It's not my job to be a judge, I acknowledge that. But this podcast just raised some big questions in my mind about if I need to make some changes in my business structure, and this forum has been intended to gain feedback and hopefully help clarify some of these questions.

  • Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Seth Mosley

    I know people who have been in real estate for 25 years and know considerably less about it than those with 3 years experience. Time in an industry does not automatically equate to one's professionalism, knowledge or competency. 

    In case you're not aware, BP is meant as an educational tool. Just because I don't wholesale properties doesn't mean there's no reason to discuss wholesaling on the site. And I don't have to question the motives of those who do wholesale simply because their strategy is different than my own. The same is true for the choices of BP staff who choose to provide Podcasts that benefit many, albeit not everyone. I don't know the learned attorney who disparaged Mr. Smith but I do know I have dealt closely with attorneys (including two in my family) for years and they are a lot more closely aligned with Mr. Smith than with the the honorable attorney who pretends he has no agenda. 

    I only know this my friend. For every dime you make, someone else is willing to take it from you as quickly as you earn it. I just assumed this was common knowledge in a world where a customer can order hot coffee, be given hot coffee and then subsequently sue the restaurant because they were given hot coffee.

  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Ive heard some very intelligent comments on here, especially by all the lawyers, and I've heard some suspect opinions that seem to be masquerading as objective facts.

    First some big government types seem to be saying things that are counter to the research I have done. LLC's were set up first and foremost as specifically personal liability protection not some taxation simplification device as far as what I'm reading from various sources.

      The second typical statement I hear is "you don't need liability protection, just a good umbrella policy" or the even more naive "just be a good landlord and you wont get sued.  Tell the landlord who lost all his money to lawsuits involving a water heater set too high, an irresponsible contractor with insufficient bond, or any other situation and contingency a "good and ethical" landlord cant anticipate in the ambit and scope of all possible liability impugned by a disgruntled or aggrieved tenant.  Also as the lawyers have pointed out, if the insurance company can find a technicality of getting out of paying out 3 million dollars on a liability suit do you think they may avail themselves of that option or rather just pay the 3 million because they really would rather have your $28 dollars a month policy payment?

    Sorry if I don't have the faith some of you true believers do in the court system as to being the best arbitrator of determining what is "fair" and putting myself in a position to be reliant on their determination of my punishment rather then proactively protecting myself from their judgement.  Obviously anyone who isn't being a hypocrite would like that option for themselves if not for others.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 171 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Seth Mosley:
    Originally posted by @Paul Choate:

    for those following this discussion, I am a not comfortable with the shots taken at the attorney from the podcast. He is/was speaking in generalities which may or may not apply in your situation and jurisdiction. 

     Paul, no one that I gather on this thread, including myself have intended to slander Scott, the attorney on this podcast. It is just the simple fact that when you go public as a guest speaker on a radio show, and putting yourself out there as an authority on whatever issue you're discussing, It is a platform. And with platform comes great responsibility. 

    I agree with Paul in that some of the comments were pretty mean spirited.  To invite Scott in to explain himself, which he does, and then rag on his 2 years of legal experience of lack of online resume was rude IMO.

    My favorite part of BP podcasts is that most investors are not sharks, and they are not virgins, but in between.  The sharks charge you $1k for a DVD set.  The value of BP guests that are like us, with more than a few houses but not running a $10M asset fund, is invaluable and I would not want to discourage those folks from dialogue to share their approach.  It is up to the listener to decide when and if to apply another's strategy.

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    All personal opinions aside, mine included,

    What I'm gathering so far is that even if you have an LLC, that does not protect you from paying for defense in the event of a suit.

    That's not to say let's not get LLCs, that's just to say, I'm finding that the LLC is only a small part of the equation...

    Best to have a large reserve or heloc for the undesired times this may happen?

    I'm interested to know how some might have handled the $170k defense fees for that one case listed on this thread.

    For me that would wipe out any profits I have made in real estate so far a few times over...

  • Attorney · Shawnee, OK · Member since 2013 · 350 posts · 230 votes
    11y

    @seth Mosley 

    I think my terminology stands. I said "shots" which you continue to take. I made no claims as to anyone's intent. His credentials are not in question. He is a licensed attorney in Texas (I take him at his word) and while I would have given more specific disclaimers about the jurisdictional limits of his advice, he is more qualified to speak than anyone else on this thread. That being said, other attorneys and specific individuals may have differing opinions or experiences and that is good to discuss. Comments about how long he has been practicing and assumptions about his motives are not.

    I think Scott made it very clear he is open for business. We all are. That is why we are here. I would be more worried about those claiming to have made it and just offering their "advice" for free. They have no skin in the game or are the ones hiding. 

    So, I gather you have a problem with his statement of an absolute, "you will be sued". I hope people of any level of intellect/education would recognize hyperbole. He was trying to make a point. As an attorney, I see the worst and have to be able to deal with it. Everyone is on the verge of bankruptcy to me because everyone one I talk to all day is. His area is asset protection and I would guess a fair number of his clients come to him after the fact. It's his world view.

    Please note: most of the posts on this thread against Scott did not say they have never been sued. They just said they have not lost enough for it to hurt. Scott is still correct - in general. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Spartanburg, SC · Member since 2009 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    11y
    Originally posted by @Steve B.:

    Ive heard some very intelligent comments on here, especially by all the lawyers, and I've heard some suspect opinions that seem to be masquerading as objective facts.

    First some big government types seem to be saying things that are counter to the research I have done. LLC's were set up first and foremost as specifically personal liability protection not some taxation simplification device as far as what I'm reading from various sources.

      The second typical statement I hear is "you don't need liability protection, just a good umbrella policy" or the even more naive "just be a good landlord and you wont get sued.  Tell the landlord who lost all his money to lawsuits involving a water heater set too high, an irresponsible contractor with insufficient bond, or any other situation and contingency a "good and ethical" landlord cant anticipate in the ambit and scope of all possible liability impugned by a disgruntled or aggrieved tenant.  Also as the lawyers have pointed out, if the insurance company can find a technicality of getting out of paying out 3 million dollars on a liability suit do you think they may avail themselves of that option or rather just pay the 3 million because they really would rather have your $28 dollars a month policy payment?

    Sorry if I don't have the faith some of you true believers do in the court system as to being the best arbitrator of determining what is "fair" and putting myself in a position to be reliant on their determination of my punishment rather then proactively protecting myself from their judgement.  Obviously anyone who isn't being a hypocrite would like that option for themselves if not for others.

     Well said Steve. I completely agree

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.